Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely, it makes sense.

I agree entirely. However, I rather think that knowing Prince Philip, and his liking for prior organisation, he will have left a list of 30 people he wished to be invited. The COVID situation has now been widely known about for 13-15 months, of which the Prince was perfectly compos mentis bar the last month or so.

A lovely & well known poem about the wonder lust of a sailor. It must have been a wrench for Philip to have to give up his naval career.

Sea Fever (1902)
John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

On April 12th, Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako, Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko sent condolences to Queen Elizabeth.

Japan's emperor, empress send condolences over death of Prince Philip - Kyodo News
Japan's imperial couple sent messages of condolence to Britain's Queen Elizabeth II following the death of her husband Prince Philip last week, the Imperial Household Agency said Monday.

Emperor Naruhito paid tribute to Prince Philip in remembering how kind he was to him while he was studying at the University of Oxford for two years from 1983, the agency said.

The emperor "fondly remembers how kindly (the prince) treated him on every occasion of their meeting during his study there, and regrets his passing," Kenji Ikeda, vice grand steward of the agency, told a press conference.

[...]

The queen's consort had close exchanges with the Japanese imperial family, giving a tour of the library in Windsor Castle to Emperor Naruhito when he visited Britain as crown prince in 2001. [...]
Emperor offers Queen Elizabeth his condolences | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
... The agency notes Emperor Naruhito had met Prince Philip a number of times when he studied at Oxford, and during the year-long Japan Festival held in Britain in 2001.

The Emperor is said to cherish his memories of Prince Philip, and is sorry that he passed away.

The agency says Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko also sent their condolences. The Emperor Emeritus attended the coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953.

You've got me thinking now! Of his grandmother's sisters, May died young, Ella had no children, Alix and her daughters were murdered with no surviving descendants, and Irene had no sons. Of Victoria's daughters, Louise had no children, so that just leaves Alice's descendants. Cecilie and her children sadly died young. I don't think there are any matrilineal descendants from Philip's two oldest sisters, but Sophie had a lot of children so there may be through her.

I was never much good at science at school, but I did really well in biology the year we did genetics, because the textbook demonstrated it all using royal family trees (mainly using haemophilia as an example)!

The Queen and Prince Philip visited Russia in 1994.

I remember reading that there was a feeling/superstition that the Hessian branch was cursed given so many of the tragic fates of the family. It was quite sad.

My introduction to the Russian royal family was an article on hemophilia. It’s led to a life long interest in the Romanovs.

Thanks! So Philip did visit Russia....AFTER the fall of communism.

Of course their attendance is just as important. I wasn’t trying to imply otherwise, so I’m sorry if my comment came off that way. But I would also add that I think having his great-grandchildren there is also important.

I just buried my father, so I understand how devastating it is to have to decide who can and can’t attend the funeral service (due to Covid restrictions). And it’s sad that any of his loved ones have to be excluded from saying their goodbyes.

I am sorry to hear that. My condolences with the loss of your father.

I do hope and expect the BRF will find a different way for the great-grandchildren to say their goodbyes to their beloved great-grandfather (especially the elder ones will be in the privileged position of having active memories of their great-grandfather).

Again, I do appreciate that my aunt (and cousins) made sure that although my parents (and all the other brothers- and sisters-in-law) couldn't attend the funeral, they made sure that in the days leading up to the funeral each of them had a moment to pay their respects. Unfortunately, many families find themselves in a comparable situation.

You've got me thinking now! Of his grandmother's sisters, May died young, Ella had no children, Alix and her daughters were murdered with no surviving descendants, and Irene had no sons. Of Victoria's daughters, Louise had no children, so that just leaves Alice's descendants. Cecilie and her children sadly died young. I don't think there are any matrilineal descendants from Philip's two oldest sisters, but Sophie had a lot of children so there may be through her.

I was never much good at science at school, but I did really well in biology the year we did genetics, because the textbook demonstrated it all using royal family trees (mainly using haemophilia as an example)!

The Queen and Prince Philip visited Russia in 1994.

Thank you; I forgot about the children from Philip's three surviving sisters; yes, his nieces and nephews and his nieces' children would all count. Maybe it's surprising that they just went to the most public source (Sophie was still alive at the time, for one). Or perhaps Philip just wanted to do it. I'm glad that he wasn't the last one.

What a strange trip that must have been for him.

Thank you; I forgot about the children from Philip's three surviving sisters; yes, his nieces and nephews and his nieces' children would all count. Maybe it's surprising that they just went to the most public source (Sophie was still alive at the time, for one). Or perhaps Philip just wanted to do it. I'm glad that he wasn't the last one.

What a strange trip that must have been for him.

Hmmm- I never thought about why Philip was asked for DNA over Sophie. (Assuming that’s what happened.) I imagine he might have been the easiest to contact though. They sure knew where to find him.

It must have been a strange trip indeed.

I am sorry to hear that. My condolences with the loss of your father.

I do hope and expect the BRF will find a different way for the great-grandchildren to say their goodbyes to their beloved great-grandfather (especially the elder ones will be in the privileged position of having active memories of their great-grandfather).

Again, I do appreciate that my aunt (and cousins) made sure that although my parents (and all the other brothers- and sisters-in-law) couldn't attend the funeral, they made sure that in the days leading up to the funeral each of them had a moment to pay their respects. Unfortunately, many families find themselves in a comparable situation.

They will be there. I would warrant. For many reasons including limiting households. They should be there.

And I wouldn't be happy having so many elderly members of the family travelling up at the moment . I mean just a nightmare waiting to happen.

Hmmm- I never thought about why Philip was asked for DNA over Sophie. (Assuming that’s what happened.) I imagine he might have been the easiest to contact though. They sure knew where to find him.

It must have been a strange trip indeed.

It was conducted in the UK and he is the famous one. Looks so much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching a video the other day where Philip said he politely claimed his first official visit to Japan was his first actual visit to Japan, so as not to bring up the end of WWII. "I'm not quite as tactless as people give me credit for!".

I don't think it was on here. Does anyone know the one I mean?

You made me dive into the family tree.

None of the children of princess Margarita is still alive; and the only daughter did not marry, so no female line descandants.

Theodora's sons, Maximilian (Margrave of Baden) and Ludwig, are still alive, so would be in the same position as Philip: sons from a matrilineal line. Their elder sister had two children, including one daughter who might still be able to pass it on: princess Katarina of Yugoslavia; she herself has a daughter as well: Victoria Marie Esmé Margarita de Silva.

Sophie's youngest 3 children, prince Karl, prince Rainier and princess Clarissa, of her first marriage are alive; as are the two youngest of her second marriage.

Female line descendants of Sophie (male - cannot pass it on):
Prince Karl of Hesse (1937)
Prince Rainer of Hesse (1939)
Prince Georg of Hanover (1949)
Mark Nicholas van Eyck (1966)
Michel Jean Henri de Waele (1986)
Jean-Paul Welf Cyr (1985)

Female line descendants of Sophie (female - can pass it on):
Princess Clarissa Alice of Hesse (1944)
Princess Friederike of Hanover (1954)
Princess Maria Tatiana ("Tania") of Yugoslavia (1957)
Helen Sophia van Eyck (1963)
Olga Thune-Larsen
Sonia Thune-Larsen (1992)
Sascha Alexandra Sophie Harman (1986)
Prinses Marina zu Windisch-Grätz (1960)
Prinses Clarissa zu Windisch-Grätz (1966)
Johanna prinzessin von Hessen-Kassel (1980)
Julia Emma Cyr (1982)

It was conducted in the UK and he is the famous one. Looks so much better.

True. I’d forgotten it was in the UK, too.

At least the tests were able to be conducted, and there was some closure involving the fate of the imperial family.

I was watching a video the other day where Philip said he politely claimed his first official visit to Japan was his first actual visit to Japan, so as not to bring up the end of WWII. "I'm not quite as tactless as people give me credit for!".

Yes, I'll look now. it was at an American visit I think. He was speaking to the press or press association type group whose name escapes me now. Queen Margrethe spoke to them once on one of her visits too.

Edit -

this tweet has the part you mention from a meeting with the National Press Club in DC

Last edited:

It's also mentioned at the end from 46.00.

Yes, I'll look now. it was at an American visit I think. He was speaking to the press or press association type group whose name escapes me now. Queen Margrethe spoke to them once on one of her visits too.

Edit -

this tweet has the part you mention from a meeting with the National Press Club in DC

Thank you. I haven't gotten to seeing the whole of his WWII interview, but I knew it was a very short clip and not quite as long.

I believe the 'splendid, elderly lady' was Harry Truman's mother. ;)

A lovely & well known poem about the wonder lust of a sailor. It must have been a wrench for Philip to have to give up his naval career.

Sea Fever (1902)
John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

I've never read the entire poem; it's beautifully evocative.....and so fitting for Philip

There is also a possibility that The Queen has decided to not use all the 30 seats and draw the line after hers and Philips own descendants of a suitable age plus spouses...

That would likely mean The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, George, Charlotte, Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Edo, Eugenie, Jack, Edward, Sophie, Louise, James, Anne, Tim, Peter, Savannah, Isla, Zara, Mike and Mia... That is 25.

Add to that Prince Philips private secretary Brigadier Archie Miller-Bakewell. And perhaps also the Lady in Waiting who is currently isolating with The Queen... That would bring it to 27 guests...

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s it and they stop there....

There are many many many more relatives who truly deserves to be there. But the line is at 30 so sacrifices that will hurt and will be felt must be made..... And there will likely be a bigger Service of Thanksgiving for the life of The Duke of Edinburgh in either Westminster Abbey or St Paul’s Cathedral later when they’re allowed to have more people anyway...

Last edited:
There is also a possibility that The Queen has decided to not use all the 30 seats and draw the line after hers and Philips own descendants of a suitable age plus spouses...

That would likely mean The Queen, Charles, Camilla, George, Charlotte, Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Edo, Eugenie, Jack, Edward, Sophie, Louise, James, Anne, Tim, Peter, Savannah, Isla, Zara, Mike and Mia... That is 25.

Add to that Prince Philips private secretary Brigadier Archie Miller-Bakewell. And perhaps also the Lady in Waiting who is currently isolating with The Queen... That would bring it to 27 guests...

There are many many many more relatives who truly deserves to be there. But the line is at 30 so sacrifices that will hurt and will be felt must be made....

I agree, straightforward with everybody treated the same, having said that it is possible the younger in laws may offer to step down, whatever happens it will and should be what the Queen wants.

I agree, straightforward with everybody treated the same, having said that it is possible the younger in laws may offer to step down, whatever happens it will and should be what the Queen wants.

And she is acting in accordance with her late husband's wishes. And that is how it should be. So we agree on that.

It will be interesting to see it all unfold on Saturday.

That would likely mean The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, George, Charlotte, Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Edo, Eugenie, Jack, Edward, Sophie, Louise, James, Anne, Tim, Peter, Savannah, Isla, Zara, Mike and Mia... That is 25.

There are many many many more relatives who truly deserves to be there. But the line is at 30 so sacrifices that will hurt and will be felt must be made..... And there will likely be a bigger Service of Thanksgiving for the life of The Duke of Edinburgh in either Westminster Abbey or St Paul’s Cathedral later when they’re allowed to have more people anyway...

I agree and if three more her niece and nephew and that's it.

But I would not be surprised if we just had direct descendants.

Last edited:

There are many many many more relatives who truly deserves to be there. But the line is at 30 so sacrifices that will hurt and will be felt must be made..... And there will likely be a bigger Service of Thanksgiving för the life of The Duke of Edinburgh in either Westminster Abbey of St Paul’s Cathedral later When they’re allowed to have more people anyway...

I was thinking his wife, children, grandchildren and spouses to keep things simple and avoid the unpleasant task of having to decide between various people who likely all had a similar level of closeness with the DoE, but then it was announced that Boris Johnson wouldn’t attend the funeral so that every possible seat could be used for family/close friends so I assumed they planned to fill all the seats.

I don’t think the Prime Minister’s staff would have specifically mentioned making an extra seat available as the reason for Johnson not going if they hadn’t confirmed The Queen’s wishes with BP beforehand, especially since there was no need to give that particular reason to explain his absence.

I was thinking his wife, children, grandchildren and spouses to keep things simple and avoid the unpleasant task of having to decide between various people who likely all had a similar level of closeness with the DoE, but then it was announced that Boris Johnson wouldn’t attend the funeral so that every possible seat could be used for family/close friends so I assumed they planned to fill all the seats.

I don’t think the Prime Minister’s staff would have specifically mentioned making an extra seat available as the reason for Johnson not going if they hadn’t confirmed The Queen’s wishes with BP beforehand, especially since there was no need to give that particular reason to explain his absence.

I wouldn't read into that. That is Boris being Boris. He said it himself off the cuff.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if all sides simply agreed most events are better without Boris. :whistling:

If they have less than the full 30 in attendance Downing Street will simply say Boris wanted to give HM and the family the option and if not all family could attend he didn't want to be seen to.

Nothing in terms of guests would really surprise me, I also think there will be an element of some people being invited but given time to decide whether they are able to attend (e.g. the older possible attendees) and maybe some will let it be known they'd rather someone else took their seat.

Andrew doesn't seem to be getting any love from the public. The comments on DM and elsewhere have been scathing. I think the public is done with him.
I thought that Edward was far more articulate and authentic

Genuinely asking, why shield James from the press and not Louise?
Maybe James just didn’t want to go. He is old enough to stay home, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gasped when the announcement came up on the news, I had thought the Duke would celebrate his 100th after his successful procedure. They’re the kind that you sort of expect will go on forever, even though you know they can’t :sad:

I am glad Boris has said that he won’t be going, I don’t think the Royals should be forced to have Prime Ministers at family events and if The Queen wanted any Prime Minister to attend it would be John Major. If he has said it off the cuff then I think that is the decent thing rather than putting the palace in the position of potentially having to ask him not to attend.

After criticising the monarchy that Philip has spent his life dutifully serving at a time when it was known he wasn’t well, it’s just as well that Meghan is unable to attend. On a limit of 30 I don’t think she’d have been welcome over say the Kents who are 1C1R to Philip and have served their cousin for many years.

Until today I did not think that any of the great grandchildren would attend, but that photo of just George and Philip has me thinking that he might. Although older, I can’t imagine Savannah and Isla there without their mother too and I think those divorced or soon to be divorced from the family are definitely out. Perhaps Peter will bubble with Zara (I could imagine Mike giving up his seat and staying home with the children.) If he is not bubbled with anyone else he could do that while maintaining a childcare bubble with Autumn.

While Edo is the most recent addition, I think the need to separate households means that he will be there. With the Yorks, I think it was both husbands or no husbands and Beatrice and Eugenie won’t be able to sit together. I expect Sarah Ferguson will be looking after August to allow Jack to attend.

I would be surprised to see spouses of relatives beyond the grandchildren.

I thought that Edward was far more articulate and authentic

I'm not supporting Andrew in the slightest, but he can't win. People are inclined to disdain anything he does, with very good reason, and he just doesn't have the presence or manner to change it.

However if he didn't have such a cloud over him, he might possibly come across as more dignified and Edward as more fumbly. Perception is everything.

Tl;dr People like Ed and Sophie so they will like what they have to say and sympathize. People despise Andrew, so they won't.

Would anyone have expected the Prime Minister to attend a close royal family funeral if it hadn't been for the announcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom