Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No,not at all.The in laws come first

The Queen might not even use the 30 places, it might be easier to keep exactly to the immediate family plus spouses , in which I would include Sarah Chatto and the Earl of Snowden plus the private secretary.

What a beautiful message from William to his grandfather, and what a gorgeous photo of Philip and George. The Cambridge kids were lucky to get to know their great-grandfather, even for a short time

Harry’s was lovely as well. People are criticizing both on Twitter - good lord, these are people in mourning, sigh.

As for the list, assuming Philip didn’t weigh in on the 30, to me it’s clear that the people he was closest to should be there. If that means that Beatrice and Eugenie’s husbands can’t be, well that’s a shame, but this is life in the times of Covid; sacrifices must be made.

Last edited:
Fair enough but I still stand by my comments that family members who knew Philip for decades ought to be there over more recent in laws.

No,not at all.The in laws come first

Why not await the guest list instead of insisting so firmly on who ought to be there?
No matter who will be there, aside from direct family, it will never please everyone.

I think it's most important that those who Prince Philip wanted to be there, are there.
It will be amazing and heartbreaking to see, that's for sure.

Eugenie and Jack have been a couple for a long time, so I see no reason why he should be discounted simply because they waited until they were ready to be married and that was only a few years ago.

And, if Meghan was able to travel I would see no reason for her to be excluded either, same for Eduardo.

The most reasonable bet is that the spouses of all of the kids and grandkids will be included, and I would bet cold, hard cash that the 5 oldest great grandkids will be there also.

What a beautiful message from William to his grandfather, and what a gorgeous photo of Philip and George. The Cambridge kids were lucky to get to know their great-grandfather, even for a short time

Harry’s was lovely as well. People are criticizing both on Twitter - good lord, these are people in mourning, sigh.

Both gave lovely tributes. I don’t look at Twitter, but I saw some nasty comments on FB- and stopped reading. Goodness. Both wrote loving messages about their grandfather, with the tone and message reflecting the personalities of William and Harry IMO and their memories.

Yes it was and will resonate with so many who have also lost beloved grandparents.

Definitely agree. It really brought back memories of both my father and my grandmother.

The Sunday Telegraph suggested the 30 'likely guests' at Prince Philip's funeral, which I think may not be far off the mark...

Interesting that the Telegraph predicts all of the newly married in-laws will be excluded, and the only great-grandchildren in attendance will be the Wessex children. While I can see some of the spouses not being there, I’d be surprised to see only two of Philip’s great-grand children in attendance.

ETA: As has been pointed out, the Wessex children are Philip’s grandchildren (not his great-grand children)

Whoever Philip knew best and wanted to be there the most should come first surely?

And this is all that matters.

Last edited:
Both gave lovely tributes. I don’t look at Twitter, but I saw some nasty comments on FB- and stopped reading. Goodness. Both wrote loving messages about their grandfather, with the tone and message reflecting the personalities of William and Harry IMO and their memories.

It’s like certain fans of both princes are trying to make this into a competition as to who wrote the better, more emotional tribute. ????

Anyway, the words are less important than the sentiment behind them. These aren’t essays to be graded, they are expressions of love.

Definitely agree. It really brought back memories of both my father and my grandmother.

Interesting that the Telegraph predicts all of the newly married in-laws will be excluded, and the only great-grandchildren in attendance will be the Wessex children. While I can see some of the spouses not being there, I’d be surprised to see only two of Philip’s great-grand children in attendance.

I thought that the Wessex children are grandchildren, not great grandchildren, they are the same as William, Harry, Zara and the York sisters? or am I missing something.

Louise and James are grandchildren not great-grandchildren of Philip!

I guess they are getting tired of being mistaken for great-grandchildren... (if it happens on this board multiple times, it must be happening all the time)

I know I really didn't appreciate it when the funeral director at my grandfather's funeral announced that the great-grandchildren would follow the grandchildren in the funeral procession, while there were no great-grandchildren present(!); so apparently, just because we were younger than most of our cousins we were suddenly reduced to a lesser relationship with our grandfather. [my indignation was soon turned around when we ended up ahead of all other grandchildren in the funeral procession; as we were the only ones too young to walk on our own; so we walked with our parents (who were last of the children; as my mother was the youngest) - that's how the brain of a 10 year old worked; and James is not that much older...]

Last edited:
I thought that the Wessex children are grandchildren, not great grandchildren, they are the same as William, Harry, Zara and the York sisters? or am I missing something.

Yep. You’re right...I got it wrong. Since they are closer in age to some of the great-grandchildren, I always forget that they are Philip’s grandchildren.

I guess they are getting tired of being mistaken for great-grandchildren... (if it happens on this board multiple times, it must be happening all the time)

Or they might not care. I imagine that most people that make the mistake of confusing them for great-grandchildren, don’t mean any harm and are in no way trying to diminish their relationship with their grandfather. I know that I was in no way trying to do that.

Last edited:
I knew the half of the this, literally, but somehow not the other half. Quite a "wow" moment.
And he was the last person with the Hessian mitochondrial DNA, if I'm not mistaken.

Wow. I knew his maternal grandmother Victoria was the sister of the last empress of Russia, making Empress Alexandra his great aunt.

I’d forgotten that Empress Marie was also his great aunt (They were both his great aunts?! ) through his paternal side- since she was a princess of Denmark.

Wow. I knew his maternal grandmother Victoria was the sister of the last empress of Russia, making Empress Alexandra his great aunt.

I’d forgotten that Empress Marie was also his great aunt (They were both his great aunts?! ) through his paternal side- since she was a princess of Denmark.

Yep, Dagmar/Minnie was George I's sister (though it took me a few seconds) and Alicky was obviously Victoria's, but doesn't that sound more inbred than it actually is? Or maybe really is. ;) I'm not sure those two would have appreciated being linked at all, even through Philip. In any case, it's pretty amazing.

Yep, Dagmar/Minnie was George I's sister (though it took me a few seconds) and Alicky was obviously Victoria's, but doesn't that sound more inbred than it actually is? Or maybe really is. ;) I'm not sure those two would have appreciated being linked at all, even through Philip. In any case, it's pretty amazing.

I don’t think it ever clicked with me that Philip was equally related to both of the last empresses. It does sound worse than it is. Lol Philip was pretty much connected to almost everyone somehow.

Agreed- I can definitely see those 2 ladies not being thrilled about being linked through Philip. Lol They were, after all, so close.....

Imagine the stories he almost surely heard about regarding Alicky, Ella, the children, Nicolas too. :(

I really don't know about the older members of the family. They are all quite frail and would need support at least in and out of the church.

I mean I am not being rude but I would have the orthopedic surgeons on speed dial.

The Gloucesters and Prince Michael are younger. But you can't invite one.

I dont know in this time if they were my parents and I couldn't go too I would rather they didn't go. It's just not the time at the moment.

As for the grand in laws. Exclude them all if they are going to exclude but given Eugenie's baby and the fact they live right there I doubt Jack would care and Edo probably wouldn't either. And to be honest Mike may prefer to stay at home with the kids too. We may only see Kate. Given the Peter divorce.

Last edited:
Or they might not care. I imagine that most people that make the mistake of confusing them for great-grandchildren, don’t mean any harm and are in no way trying to diminish their relationship with their grandfather. I know that I was in no way trying to do that.

I am sure people are not trying to; but unintentionally that is the message that is conveyed. That's why I shared my personal experience. People don't mean any harm but for those that are (frequently) mistaken for being one generation further away than they truly are it can be hurtful to repeatedly receive the (unintended) message that their relationship with their loved one is less important.

In this specific case, you were surprised that they were to attend this funeral while Savannah and Isla etc. weren't. While of course, given that they are his grandchildren, their presence is as important as for example William's. And I am sure you agree with that now you are aware that they indeed are his grandchildren :flowers:

As for the funeral, I do like that Prince Harry will be there and I think it's for the best that it's him solo.

It may be inappropriate to say, but I look somewhat forward to Saturday. To see Prince Philip's wishes executed and see him receiving a dignified farewell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article....Even though Charles has essentially become his father as Joe Little indicated below, it’s different with Philip now gone. Charles really is the head of the family...I think he’ll do just fine; like I said earlier, his most important role is being there for his mother...

Charles essentially now assumes the role of patriarch at a time when the royal family appears as divided as it has ever been. He will undoubtedly be anxious that Philip’s death offers an opportunity to heal rifts, especially between his sons, Harry and William.

Though Charles’s vision is of a “slimmed-down” monarchy, the royal historian Robert Lacey said Philip’s death “is just a reminder, that without him and Harry” they needed extra people.

Charles’s siblings may take some time to adjust to his new role. “It will be difficult for them to see him the way they used to see their father,” said Joe Little, the managing editor of Majesty magazine.

“In my opinion, though, Charles has been pretty much the head of ‘the firm’ for quite some time. With the general decline in the Duke of Edinburgh’s health, it was a natural progression.

“And Charles is fully consulted in all manner of things he never used to be,” added Little. “In many ways, Charles has already become his father.’

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-leaves-prince-charles-patriarch-royal-family

Last edited:
I don’t think it ever clicked with me that Philip was equally related to both of the last empresses. It does sound worse than it is. Lol Philip was pretty much connected to almost everyone somehow.

Agreed- I can definitely see those 2 ladies not being thrilled about being linked through Philip. Lol They were, after all, so close.....

Imagine the stories he almost surely heard about regarding Alicky, Ella, the children, Nicolas too. :(

Many of them from Uncle Dickie, surely; don't forget, Louis of Battenberg was first cousins with Alexander III, so that is all sides of a tiny gene pool, right there. Did Philip ever finally get to go to Russia, even informally? Or was he just limited to his very pointed comment about the Bolsheviks?

This is a mistake that happens often - just take a look at the news feeds. Edward is listed as the Duke's Grandson, on several he is Charles' son and rather odd - he was writing up as the son of the Duke of Windsor on MSN, until it was corrected. Very interesting family tree we have here.

Oddly enough Edward is rather used to this, his private secretary told me he answers to Philip, Charles, William and Andrew when on engagements. I unfortunately was there when there when such a engagement happened - you might still be able to find it online. Edward was at a high school where he was introduced as Prince Philip, he didn't correct the man, just made the speech and opened the building. When we were packing up, his private secretary run back to ask us, who were there for the LL, what the plague said as he was worried he might be committing identity theft. I asked why people weren't corrected - and the man shrugged and said sometimes it wasn't worth the effort.

I have a question and I hope I did not overread it if an answer has already be posted.

Would the children (like in great grandchildren) count INTO that 30 people? Or is it 30 GROWN UPS and possible children?

This is a mistake that happens often - just take a look at the news feeds. Edward is listed as the Duke's Grandson, on several he is Charles' son and rather odd - he was writing up as the son of the Duke of Windsor on MSN, until it was corrected. Very interesting family tree we have here.

Oddly enough Edward is rather used to this, his private secretary told me he answers to Philip, Charles, William and Andrew when on engagements. I unfortunately was there when there when such a engagement happened - you might still be able to find it online. Edward was at a high school where he was introduced as Prince Philip, he didn't correct the man, just made the speech and opened the building. When we were packing up, his private secretary run back to ask us, who were there for the LL, what the plague said as he was worried he might be committing identity theft. I asked why people weren't corrected - and the man shrugged and said sometimes it wasn't worth the effort.

Sometimes it isn't .

The RR's asked the royals house how do you pronounce August. And they said however tou want. I don't think they care about these things. Pick your battles

Last edited:

Goodness, that's....imaginative.

Whilst it must be frustrating at times I suppose there are also some advantages of not being instantly recognised.

I have a question and I hope I did not overread it if an answer has already be posted.

Would the children (like in great grandchildren) count INTO that 30 people? Or is it 30 GROWN UPS and possible children?

Good question, I am sorry I do not know the answer. It would make a difference though

In this specific case, you were surprised that they were to attend this funeral while Savannah and Isla etc. weren't. While of course, given that they are his grandchildren, their presence is as important as for example William's. And I am sure you agree with that now you are aware that they indeed are his grandchildren :flowers:

Of course their attendance is just as important. I wasn’t trying to imply otherwise, so I’m sorry if my comment came off that way. But I would also add that I think having his great-grandchildren there is also important.

I just buried my father, so I understand how devastating it is to have to decide who can and can’t attend the funeral service (due to Covid restrictions). And it’s sad that any of his loved ones have to be excluded from saying their goodbyes.

Last edited:
Many of them from Uncle Dickie, surely; don't forget, Louis of Battenberg was first cousins with Alexander III, so that is all sides of a tiny gene pool, right there. Did Philip ever finally get to go to Russia, even informally? Or was he just limited to his very pointed comment about the Bolsheviks?

That’s right. Uncle Dickie surely had a lot of stories. I think he had a bit of a crush on GD Marie (?) and kept a photo of her. And Alice was greatly influenced by Ella becoming a nun in later years.

I remember reading that Alice and Andreas’ wedding was the last great royal gathering and that she was rather amused that EVERYBODY made a point of attending the wedding of 2 essentially minor royals. They must have been very well liked and/or everyone also wanted an excuse to get together. Lol

Hmm- I don’t recall reading that Philip ever made a trip to Russia. Maybe he did. I remember he said- supposedly anyway- something along the lines of he wouldn’t meet the Bolsheviks seeing as how they’d murdered half of his family. I can well imagine him having strong feelings on the subject.

:lol: Glad to read that he goes along with whatever name. But at the same time, it is a shame that his and Sophie's work as children(-in-law) of HM and The Duke of Edinburgh isn't acknowledged the way it should be.

I knew the half of the this, literally, but somehow not the other half. Quite a "wow" moment. And he was the last person with the Hessian mitochondrial DNA, if I'm not mistaken.

You've got me thinking now! Of his grandmother's sisters, May died young, Ella had no children, Alix and her daughters were murdered with no surviving descendants, and Irene had no sons. Of Victoria's daughters, Louise had no children, so that just leaves Alice's descendants. Cecilie and her children sadly died young. I don't think there are any matrilineal descendants from Philip's two oldest sisters, but Sophie had a lot of children so there may be through her.

I was never much good at science at school, but I did really well in biology the year we did genetics, because the textbook demonstrated it all using royal family trees (mainly using haemophilia as an example)!

The Queen and Prince Philip visited Russia in 1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom