Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that is the case, they will have to move him BACK to the main part of the castle before the procession. I think it's more likely that he is in the private chapel inside the castle - the one he helped design after the fire of 1992.

Yes, i agree that information is likely a misprint and that the late Prince Philip is already lying in repose at Windsor.

I agree that some people may be doing it for the wrong reasons but I have no issue with those people for whom royal residences are on their local area leaving a few flowers if they so wish, especially as in places like Windsor, Sandringham etc local people probably have a strong sense of connection to the RF. I also wonder to what extent the Household felt obliged to ask people not to rather than it being their true wish.

Im sure the RF want people to obey the law and common sense guidance that they dont get together in large numbers.

A message of the Duke of Cambridge:

The picture of The Duke of Edinburgh and Prince George is heartbreaking.

Well, cue the waterworks. This statement, combined with the accompanying photo, is both beautiful and heartbreaking. The deep love and respect William has for his grandparents is certainly shining through and I’ve no doubt that when he speaks of treasuring the time that his children were able to spend with the late DoE, he means and feels deeply every single word.

Last edited:
William and Harry made me cry. Phillip would say get on with it, but it makes me cry.
That picture with George makes me cry.:wub:
I had no idea he was so hands on.
I love seeing it.

:previous: Perhaps some people aren't aware it's been requested not to leave flowers, etc. Has there been an official request from the palace? I remember the sea of flowers people left when Princess Diana died. These are such emotional times, people may have left their brains at home, just not thinking.

I wondered if any of the Great grandchildren would appear - after all George, Isla and Savannah are older.

I recall at the funeral of Diana in 1997 both Beatrice and Eugenie attended and they were 7 and 9

I don't think there is an age issue as much as the gathering must be limited to no more than 30 people. He has a large extended family and many devoted friends and people who have worked for him. I suspect that the consideration will be who the Duke would most want to attend, as well as the people whose presence would give the most support and comfort to the Queen.

Lovely tributes by William and Harry. I suspects the other grandchildren will be be posting soon as well.

The Sunday Telegraph suggested the 30 'likely guests' at Prince Philip's funeral, which I think may not be far off the mark ;
1. The Queen
2. Prince of Wales
3. Duchess of Cornwall
4. Princess Royal
5. V-A Sir Timothy Laurence
6. Duke of York
7 & 8. Earl and Countess of Wessex
9 & 10. Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
11. Duke of Sussex
12 & 13. Zara and Mike Tindall
14. Peter Phillips
15. Princess Beatrice
16. Princess Eugenie
17. Lady Louise Windsor
18. Viscount Severn
19. Lady Pamela Hicks
20. Countess Mountbatten
21. Princess Alexandra
22 & 23. Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
24 & 25. Duke and Duchess of Kent
26 & 27. Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
28. Earl of Snowdon
29. Lady Sarah Chatto
30. Brigadier Archie Miller-Bakewell (private secretary)

So, The Sunday Telegraph decided that Beatrice, Eugenie and Sarah could do without their husbands...

All in all, it is very much like the various lists different members have put up. I don't think The Sunday Telegraph is better informed than we are... I believe it was said that the 'guest list' will be released on Thursday. And based on the comment that it will only be 'the royal family and the Duke private secretary in St George's Chapel; I think we can exclude any family member from Germany. However, it could include 'Mountbatten-family members'.

Last edited:
Well, cue the waterworks. This statement, combined with the accompanying photo, is both beautiful and heartbreaking. The deep love and respect William has for his grandparents is certainly shining through and I’ve no doubt that when he speaks of treasuring the time that his children were able to spend with the late DoE, I’ve no doubt he means and feels deeply every single word.

Cue the waterworks indeed. You could definitely feel the deep love and respect William has for his grandparents and how genuinely grateful he is that Catherine and his children got to know Philip. His comments about Philip being there in both the good and bad times was also very touching.

Harry’s message was lovely too and heartfelt.

Last edited:

Spending a lot of time at Anmer Hall will surely have helped the great-grandchildren to also develop a close(r) relationship with their great-grandfather. Lovely to read how he would pick them up with his carriage.

His references to Catherine are also interesting as William spends quite some time reflecting on that in his short message. And of course the finale message: that he would want them to support the queen and get on with the job...

So, they decided that Beatrice, Eugenie and Sarah could do without their husbands...

Other than that, it is very much like the various lists members have put up. I don't think The Sunday Telegraph is better informed than we are...

Only 30 people can attend, so obviously many people will have to be left out....

Only 30 people can attend, so obviously many people will have to be left out....

Of course - I am very much aware of that, having tried to make up a guestlist myself. I just observed that they decided that 2 grandchildren could do without their husband while the other grandchildren's spouses were included - which would be done to accommodate cousins of the queen.

There are about 33-35 (up to 40 if you'd consider the (older) great-grandchildren) that could theoretically be part of the 'top-30'; so, we'll have to see what the BRF decides. I am sure they would rather have accommodated more close family members but unfortunately, they cannot.

:previous: Perhaps some people aren't aware it's been requested not to leave flowers, etc. Has there been an official request from the palace? I remember the sea of flowers people left when Princess Diana died. These are such emotional times, people may have left their brains at home, just not thinking.

Yes there is a request on the official British Monarchy for people to consider donating to a charity in lieu of floral tributes. The message also stated that this was due to the need for social distancing.

Here's the link to the message regarding floral tributes at this time.
https://www.royal.uk/floral-tributes

Of course - I am very much aware of that, having tried to make up a guestlist myself. I just observed that they decided that 2 grandchildren could do without their husband while the other grandchildren's spouses were included - which would be done to accommodate cousins of the queen.

There are about 33-35 (up to 40 if you'd consider the (older) great-grandchildren) that could theoretically be part of the 'top-30'; so, we'll have to see what the BRF decides. I am sure they would rather have accommodated more close family members but unfortunately, they cannot.

teh cousins are people who have been around for a long time in her life and Philips.. Of course they would normally invite more poeple but with the cut of 30 people, some may have to be lefft out and Im sure they will invite the people closest to Philp and those whom the queen may most wish to see....

Is donating to a charity a common practice in the UK after someone passed away? I've seen it a lot in the US but it isn't that common in the Netherlands (so I still don't feel comfortable doing so - we donate to lots of different charities but never in remembrance of someone).

teh cousins are people who have been around for a long time in her life and Philips.. Of course they would normally invite more poeple but with the cut of 30 people, some may have to be lefft out and Im sure they will invite the people closest to Philp and those whom the queen may most wish to see....

Perhaps in Post-Corona-Times there will be a huge memorial service for him with the whole family and all people who would be invited for the funeral if Corona hasn't been. Perhaps at the first anniversary of his death.

Yes, I know. That's why I included all the cousins in my list of 'potentially invited'. Nobody is contesting that they might be invited or that they haven't know each other for a longer time - but length is not the only criterion (because why wouldn't Daniel Chatto be invited in this scenario as he has been in the family (much) longer than Camilla, Sophie, Catherine and Mike).

It seems that you agree that the cousins (including the cousins' spouses; not sure about for example the Duke's relationship with princess Michael) are more important than the grandchildren's spouses (who would also be there to support their spouse who just lost her grandfather) or the nephew-by-marriage. So, maybe... and maybe not. That will be up to the queen. Unfortunately, hard decisions have to be made.

N.B. My parents were recently excluded from the funeral of their brother-in-law whom they had known for (and had a close relationship with) their whole life (my mother) or over 40 years (my father) in favor of his grandchildren - which of course made perfect sense.

Last edited:
Is donating to a charity a common practice in the UK after someone passed away? I've seen it a lot in the US but it isn't that common in the Netherlands (so I still don't feel comfortable doing so - we donate to lots of different charities but never in remembrance of someone).

Yes it's very common. You often see in newspaper announcements "Family flowers only please. Donations in lieu of flowers to ..."

I've heard the request many times on TV since Friday and you'd assume that the kind of people keen to leave flowers would be avid watchers of the TV coverage. Regardless of the Covid restrictions, this is a request I suspect the DofE made a long time ago.

Such a lovely picture of Prince Philip with George.

I just love the idea of Philip driving over in his carriage to Anmer and spending time with William, Catherine and some of his great grandchildren. How lucky they are to have known great grandpa Philip so well. Beautiful statements so far from Philip’s children and William.

Yes, I know. That's why I included all the cousins in my list of 'potentially invited'. Nobody is contesting that they might be invited or that they haven't know each other for a longer time - but length is not the only criterion (because why wouldn't Daniel Chatto be invited in this scenario as he has been in the family (much) longer than Camilla, Sophie, Catherine and Mike).

It seems that you agree that the cousins (including the cousins' spouses; not sure about for example the Duke's relationship with princess Michael) are more important than the grandchildren's spouses (who would also be there to support their spouse who just lost her grandfather) or the nephew-by-marriage. So, maybe... and maybe not. That will be up to the queen. Unfortunately, hard decisions have to be made.

N.B. My parents were recently excluded from the funeral of their brother-in-law whom they had known for (and had a close relationship with) their whole life (my mother) or over 40 years (my father) in favor of his grandchildren - which of course made perfect sense.
I dont realy have an opinion. Its up to the queen, as I think she would want those who were closest to Philip and alos the poeple that she herself would want to see, for support, at present....

... I still stand by my comments that family members who knew Philip for decades ought to be there over more recent in laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's annoying the hell out of me that people are turning up to various places to leave flowers and/or "pay respects". There have been countless requests to people that they shouldn't do it and should stay away, donating to one of the DofE's charities instead. To me, these people are showing DISrespect and putting their own desires ahead of the bereaved family's. Too many look like they're trying to be photographed or get themselves on the telly.

Hear hear hear!!

Fair enough but I still stand by my comments that family members who knew Philip for decades ought to be there over more recent in laws.

No,not at all.The in laws come first

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever Philip knew best and wanted to be there the most should come first surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom