Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
General reminder: posts containing one or several link(s) only, without any explanation of its content, will continue to be deleted.

The Sunday Telegraph suggested the 30 'likely guests' at Prince Philip's funeral, which I think may not be far off the mark ;
1. The Queen
2. Prince of Wales
3. Duchess of Cornwall
4. Princess Royal
5. V-A Sir Timothy Laurence
6. Duke of York
7 & 8. Earl and Countess of Wessex
9 & 10. Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
11. Duke of Sussex
12 & 13. Zara and Mike Tindall
14. Peter Phillips
15. Princess Beatrice
16. Princess Eugenie
17. Lady Louise Windsor
18. Viscount Severn
19. Lady Pamela Hicks
20. Countess Mountbatten
21. Princess Alexandra
22 & 23. Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
24 & 25. Duke and Duchess of Kent
26 & 27. Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
28. Earl of Snowdon
29. Lady Sarah Chatto
30. Brigadier Archie Miller-Bakewell (private secretary)

The Sunday Telegraph suggested the 30 'likely guests' at Prince Philip's funeral, which I think may not be far off the mark ;
1. The Queen
2. Prince of Wales
3. Duchess of Cornwall
4. Princess Royal
6. Duke of York
11. Duke of Sussex
14. Peter Phillips
15. Princess Beatrice
16. Princess Eugenie
17. Lady Louise Windsor
18. Viscount Severn
19. Lady Pamela Hicks
20. Countess Mountbatten
21. Princess Alexandra
28. Earl of Snowdon
29. Lady Sarah Chatto

I tend to agree with this list, it makes sense.

View of Windsor Castle after death of the Duke of Edinburgh.

This list makes more sense. Why would Mike Tindall attend, but not Beatrice and Eugenie's husbands?

1. The Queen
2. Prince of Wales
3. Duchess of Cornwall
4. Princess Royal
6. Duke of York
11. Duke of Sussex
14. Peter Phillips
15 and 16. Princess Beatrice and spouse
17 and 18. Princess Eugenie and spouse
19. Lady Louise Windsor
20. Viscount Severn
21. Lady Pamela Hicks
22. Princess Alexandra
23 & 24. Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
25 & 26. Duke and Duchess of Kent
27 & 28. Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
29. Earl of Snowdon
30. Lady Sarah Chatto

We have been told that Philip's private secretary will be attending and so that list has to remove one person to allow for him to attend. That was in the official announcement from BP.

https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0 All those who have taken part in the procession will not enter St. George’s Chapel except the Members of the Royal Family, and His Royal Highness’s Private Secretary.

We have been told that Philip's private secretary will be attending and so that list has to remove one person to allow for him to attend. That was in the official announcement from BP.

https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0 All those who have taken part in the procession will not enter St. George’s Chapel except the Members of the Royal Family, and His Royal Highness’s Private Secretary.

I believe it is Lady Pamela Hicks who is off the list.

No list has yet been officially published I believe so we will still have to wait and see who will be in attendance.

I thought the duke was said to be rather close to his sisters and their offspring, especially to Princess George Wilhelm of Hannover who lived the longest.

We have seen his German nieces and nephews (and great nieces and nephews) at several royal events in the UK, for example at the wedding of the duke and duchess of Cambridge or the queen's diamond wedding anniversary.

I always assumed that the discretion had more to do with the press never ceasing to regard them as 'the Nazi sisters' of the prince. Though during a concert in 1997 celebrating the golden wedding of the Queen and the duke his only surviving sister was sitting right next to him.

Edit: an anecdote of Marlene Koenig, which shows that the duke was very much in touch with his sister:
Royal Musings: Prince Philip: An Appreciation

In the documentary the Queen at 90, they look at old private family films, the queen refers to various relatives who were from Philips side so there was contact. In this age of social media and the press there is a tendency to think that if we have not seen them together in the newspapers then they never met. I am sure even today, pre pandemic, there are a number of private gatherings that none of us are aware of. Visitors to Balmoral, Sandringham or Windsor not just special events.

I remember, pre-pandemic, that some of Philip's family would often be at Sandringham for Church in January each year. I am sure they visit quite regularly but just not on days or at events at which we see them.

I believe it is Lady Pamela Hicks who is off the list.

The Duchess of Kent is also not in the best health and has rarely been seen at royal Events so it could also be the Duke attends alone when he attends.

1. The Queen
2. Prince of Wales
3. Duchess of Cornwall
4. Princess Royal
6. Duke of York
11. Duke of Sussex
14. Peter Phillips
15. Princess Beatrice
16. Princess Eugenie
17. Lady Louise Windsor
18. Viscount Severn
19. Lady Pamela Hicks
20. Countess Mountbatten
21. Princess Alexandra
28. Earl of Snowdon
29. Lady Sarah Chatto
I think this list is spot on! Thanks for sharing

That part is wrong as it was announced by the Palace with the funeral arrangements that he is lying in the Private Chapel until the day of the funeral.

Indeed,that is where he is,at Windsor Castle s private chapel.

He will be interred in the Royal Vault prior to the George VI chapel internment.

According to The Sunday Telegraph, MPs (in House of Commons) from both Conservative and Labour Party have supported plans to commemorate The Duke of Edinburgh with statue in London.

MPs back plan to commemorate Duke of Edinburgh with London statue
Downing Street makes it clear that it backs idea of permanent monument, which is supported by Sir Keir Starmer
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...lan-commemorate-duke-edinburgh-london-statue/

The Daily Mail has picked up some of the content from The Sunday Telegraph, which also reveal the possible locations (The Mall) of Prince Philip's statue

MPs back calls to commemorate Prince Philip with a statue on The Mall as they say it would be a 'fitting tribute to mark a lifetime of public service and duty'
  • MPs have backed calls to commemorate Prince Philip with a statue in London
  • One location for statue could be The Mall which leads to Buckingham Palace
  • MPs said it would be a 'fitting tribute to mark a lifetime of public service'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ls-commemorate-Prince-Philip-statue-Mall.html

Last edited:
I wondered if any of the Great grandchildren would appear - after all George, Isla and Savannah are older.

I recall at the funeral of Diana in 1997 both Beatrice and Eugenie attended and they were 7 and 9

Chris Ship spotted a beautifully carved watermelon amongst the flowers for Prince Philip outside Windsor Castle and posted two pictures of it.
Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Spotted this remarkable structure amongst the flowers for #PrincePhilip at Windsor Castle: a carved watermelon [Watermelon]
“Prince Philip, 1921-2021 Rest in Peace”.
Astonishing skill and amazing detail [Hocho]
4:07 PM · Apr 12, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Replying to @chrisshipitv
The melon tribute was proudly sitting amongst the flowers laid for #PrincePhillip in Windsor on Sunday
6:08 PM · Apr 12, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

After reading a tweet from Richard Eden, I checked the Court Circular, which stated that The Queen had a telephone audience with the Prime Minister on 10th April at Windsor Castle.
10 April 2021
Windsor Castle
The Rt. Hon. Boris Johnson MP (Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury) had an audience of Her Majesty via telephone this morning.
https://www.royal.uk/court-circular...te]=08/04/2020&date[max][date]=12/04/2021&id=

Last edited:
According to The Sunday Telegraph, MPs (in House of Commons) from both Conservative and Labour Party have supported plans to commemorate The Duke of Edinburgh with statue in London.

Downing Street makes it clear that it backs idea of permanent monument, which is supported by Sir Keir Starmer
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...lan-commemorate-duke-edinburgh-london-statue/

The Daily Mail has picked up some of the content from The Sunday Telegraph, which also reveal the possible locations (The Mall) of Prince Philip's statue

MPs back calls to commemorate Prince Philip with a statue on The Mall as they say it would be a 'fitting tribute to mark a lifetime of public service and duty'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ls-commemorate-Prince-Philip-statue-Mall.html

He’d probably hate it, but I love this idea

How spectacular that carving watermelons is an actual craft!

The tributes are many for Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
I have enjoyed hearing his family and friends talk about him and I've loved seeing photographs and old film.
Really old people have always led fascinating lives and his was especially adventurous.
It is very thoughful that the funeral will be televised and shared.

That watermelon carving is amazing. What a work of art.

This would be well deserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Wonderful news and a very fitting tribute to the Duke.

What a gorgeous photo in the horse drawn carriage.
William's words are beautiful.

It is special that, as a grandfather, Philip was able to show youngsters his fun past time.
Didn't Louise also became skilled at the reigns?

Last edited:
It's annoying the hell out of me that people are turning up to various places to leave flowers and/or "pay respects". There have been countless requests to people that they shouldn't do it and should stay away, donating to one of the DofE's charities instead. To me, these people are showing DISrespect and putting their own desires ahead of the bereaved family's. Too many look like they're trying to be photographed or get themselves on the telly.

The melon is amazing. Wonder what his comment would have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom