Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen may be the matriarch of the family and the head of state but it was Philip that was the true patriarch of the family that he ruled with an iron hand when needed. He's passed that torch onto his son knowing he's ready and able to take on the job in his place. So fitting. ?

Charles has been head of the royal family for quite some time and William now is number two.

But how good anyone is in the training they get.

Prince Maximilian and Prince Ludwig of Baden are the sons of Philip's sister, Princess Theodora. Might Prince Maximilian and Prince Ludwig come to the service?

Normally, yes, in the current circumstances: are they 'close enough' to take up space among the 30 allowed spaces and are they willing to be quarantined for a week to be able to attend the funeral of their uncle (and knowing that by doing so they are preventing others from attending).

Charles has been head of the royal family for quite some time and William now is number two.

But how good anyone is in the training they get.

Charles is focused on the Duchy of Cornwall, as he should be. He never managed the Queen's private estates like Balmoral or Sandrigham. My understanding is that Philip was in charge of that until his recent hospitalization.

Prince Maximilian and Prince Ludwig of Baden are the sons of Philip's sister, Princess Theodora. Might Prince Maximilian and Prince Ludwig come to the service?

No. I think its fanciful to think anyone but close family will be there.

I hope they have a Thanksgiving service later though.

Charles is focused on the Duchy of Cornwall, as he should be. He never managed the Queen's private estates like Balmoral or Sandrigham. My understanding is that Philip was in charge of that until his recent hospitalization.

What's that got to do with it? He direction of the royals is directed by him. The Queen herself hasnt really been in charge for some years.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen may reign over the country and be CEO and "boss" of the "Firm" but it was Philip that ruled over his household. Reminds me of an anecdote told by Margaret Rhodes, the Queen's cousin. They were all out in a car on the Sandringham estate and Philip was driving and Elizabeth kept telling Philip to slow down or do this or do that and eventually Philip just told her to "shut up or you'll be walking". Margaret says to her cousin "Do you let him talk to you like that? You're the Queen!". Elizabeth replied "I really didn't want to end up walking". Normal everyday married couple they really were until death did part them.

What's that got to do with it? He direction of the royals is directed by him. The Queen herself hasnt really been in charge for some years.

I was just pointing out that the Queen delegated the management of the family's private business to her husband, not to her eldest son, which is understandable since the PoW has other obligations and his own estate to manage.

I was just pointing out that the Queen delegated the management of the family's private business to her husband, not to her eldest son, which is understandable since the PoW has other obligations and his own estate to manage.

It's run by its managers now. I don't think the family will have the people to do it anymore,

It's run by its managers now. I don't think the family will have the people to do it anymore,

I think what Mbruno was referring to is more along the lines of family private business such as "wait 'till your father gets home!" kind of thing. Philip was always the head of the private House of Windsor like many men of that era were and some still are. Seated at the head of the table etc. :D

I think what Mbruno was referring to is more along the lines of family private business such as "wait 'till your father gets home!" kind of thing. Philip was always the head of the private House of Windsor like many men of that era were and some still are. Seated at the head of the table etc. :D

Well that is well known but a bit unfortunate for the children who I think they could have done with a bit more input from their mother.

But people can't do everything.

Philip relinquished his role overseeing the management (though day to day is likely run by a professional) of the Sandringham Estate in 2017, it went to Charles instead who has overseen a shift to organic cattle which causes a minor local kerfuffle last year or so. It is also in part why Charles gave up the lease on Home Farm at Highgrove recently.

I suspect the every orderly and pragmatic Philip has done much behind the scenes to ensure a smooth transition in all area of his life.

The Queen may reign over the country and be CEO and "boss" of the "Firm" but it was Philip that ruled over his household. Reminds me of an anecdote told by Margaret Rhodes, the Queen's cousin. They were all out in a car on the Sandringham estate and Philip was driving and Elizabeth kept telling Philip to slow down or do this or do that and eventually Philip just told her to "shut up or you'll be walking". Margaret says to her cousin "Do you let him talk to you like that? You're the Queen!". Elizabeth replied "I really didn't want to end up walking". Normal everyday married couple they really were until death did part them.

Love it!!!!!

Just to clarify, because now I'm confused.......when I spoke of how moving it is that Philip has entrusted Charles with being the head of the family (at least as he was, again - not like the Queen is), I wasn't referring to management of estates, etc.. Clearly Charles can't take on everything. I was referring to his being the head of the family but not in terms of the Firm, rather in terms of the family as a family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 100% with you Betsypaige. The Queen may have been the head of the Firm, Philip was head of the family for sure!

I saw this anecdote somewhere years ago but I forgot who their companion was. I still love it as much as I did then. Thank you for shedding light on the companion part!

Just to clarify, because now I'm confused.......when I spoke of how moving it is that Philip has entrusted Charles with being the head of the family (at least as he was, again - not like the Queen is), I wasn't referring to management of estates, etc.. Clearly Charles can't take on everything. I was referring to his being the head of the family but not in terms of the Firm, rather in terms of the family as a family.

He's head of the firm and has been for quite some time. Probably family too.

I saw this anecdote somewhere years ago but I forgot who their companion was. I still love it as much as I did then. Thank you for shedding light on the companion part!

I believe the anecdote comes from the book "The Final Curtsey: A Royal Memoir From the Queen's Cousin" by Margaret Rhodes. Now that I think of it, the estate may have been Balmoral and not Sandringham. It's been a while since I've read the book. ?

He's head of the firm and has been for quite some time. Probably family too.

I don't know about being the head of the "Firm" but he surely was the the chairperson of the now defunct "Way Ahead Group" that met and planned the road ahead into the future. (Philip that is)

Charles still defers to his mother in all things to do with the monarchy and the "Firm". He has been taking on more and more responsibilities that the Queen used to handle though and I believe it's like seeing a soft transition between monarchs.

Last edited:
So...if this information is correct, the DoE's body has been dressed in full military uniform with decorations.

He is lying in repose inside the Albert Memorial Chapel until his funeral Saturday.

A Navy man till the end...This is going to be so emotional..?

I just saw this on You Tube and was comforted -
We humans tend to be afraid of death- and think of it as scary . I’m learning more and more that it isn’t . I really hope God or one of his many angels did take his hand- as the Queen held the other.
I have a selfish desire to see the Queen- while fully understanding the need for privacy . I need to see her to know she’s there. I’m scared of the pain. I can’t bear the thought of her never smiling again.

Message from The Princess Royal following the death of her father, The Duke of Edinburgh.

That was a beautiful statement by Anne. She’s right....even when you know something is coming, you’re never really ready for it.

What a legacy Philip leaves behind. I love what she said about him being a teacher, supporter and critic. How wonderful that he could be so many things to her, as needed. And also: that he was an example of a life well lived and of service. In that- I think he was an example to so many people.

The photo chosen of the 2 of them is lovely.

Last edited:
Prince Philip: The War Years - Duke Of Edinburgh On Serving In WW2 • FULL 1995 INTERVIEW. Prince Philip is so charming.

Thanks. This is quite interesting. Agreed- Philip is so charming. And humble.

Prince Philip: The War Years - Duke Of Edinburgh On Serving In WW2 • FULL 1995 INTERVIEW. Prince Philip is so charming.

This was an absolutely fascinating interview! Thank you for sharing it. My history nerd side loved hearing his perspective on serving during WWII - he and my grandfather (who passed away in 2002) were almost the same age and I have so much respect for that generation's service to the world, democracy and liberty.

Normally, yes, in the current circumstances: are they 'close enough' to take up space among the 30 allowed spaces and are they willing to be quarantined for a week to be able to attend the funeral of their uncle (and knowing that by doing so they are preventing others from attending).

It would be nice if at least one of Philip's nephews or nieces came. They are also his blood relatives.

I don't think they were ever that close. The sisters were all a lot older than Philip, and they were all married by the time Philip was 10 or 11. But, yes, it would be nice to see his birth family represented.

I thought the duke was said to be rather close to his sisters and their offspring, especially to Princess George Wilhelm of Hannover who lived the longest.

We have seen his German nieces and nephews (and great nieces and nephews) at several royal events in the UK, for example at the wedding of the duke and duchess of Cambridge or the queen's diamond wedding anniversary.

I always assumed that the discretion had more to do with the press never ceasing to regard them as 'the Nazi sisters' of the prince. Though during a concert in 1997 celebrating the golden wedding of the Queen and the duke his only surviving sister was sitting right next to him.

Edit: an anecdote of Marlene Koenig, which shows that the duke was very much in touch with his sister:
http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2021/04/prince-philip-appreciation.html

Last edited:
So...if this information is correct, the DoE's body has been dressed in full military uniform with decorations.

He is lying in repose inside the Albert Memorial Chapel until his funeral Saturday.
If that is the case, they will have to move him BACK to the main part of the castle before the procession. I think it's more likely that he is in the private chapel inside the castle - the one he helped design after the fire of 1992.

Correct, nevertheless sometimes relatives learn to known eachother again, while getting older, exactly because the age barrier does not exist anymore.
Between a married woman of 22 and a boy of 10 they are not so many common points.
But between a man of seventy and a woman of eighty years, whose family has faced so many dramas, bonds can become very strong.
I don't think they were ever that close. The sisters were all a lot older than Philip, and they were all married by the time Philip was 10 or 11. But, yes, it would be nice to see his birth family represented.

That part is wrong as it was announced by the Palace with the funeral arrangements that he is lying in the Private Chapel until the day of the funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom