Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Edward will be very busy in the future.

Andrew is the perfect person to tu the estate

Agreed on both counts.

Thanks for the additional information. That explains Louise's presence and not James's.

I think it was a wise decision to have Andrew attend this service. In that way, the funeral isn't the first time he is officially seen in public again. And as one of the duke's 4 children, there is no reason to exclude him from family occasions related to his father's death. He won't do the more formal 'royal engagements' but this seemed an appropriate event to have Andrew attend as one of the four grieving children.

Truth. I have no interest in ripping Andrew NOW when he’s grieving his father. He deserves to be with his family...I thought he sounded emotional and very grateful for the love people are showing for his father.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I see some of you talking about Andrew and Edward "NOW" taking over the estate management roles I have the serious question if you really think that the DoE did this until his last breath.

On the other way round is this implying that it is a job that can even be done by a very frail 99 year old man and does not require much?

I would think that all of his more active roles have been rearranged to other members of the family for years.

Andrew doesn't seem to be getting any love from the public. The comments on DM and elsewhere have been scathing. I think the public is done with him.

I have not read the DM, but think they should get back to leaving Andrew out.
He simpy ,is bad at talking, interviews .
Makes no sense, too many I I I, em, em, em and searching for words while talking obviously nonsense.

I have not read the DM, but think they should get back to leaving Andrew out.
He simpy ,is bad at talking, interviews .
Makes no sense, too many I I I, em, em, em and searching for words while talking obviously nonsense.

I agree. I don't see Andrew returning to any type of role any time soon. The chances are even less under Charles.
With that being said, I think he should be allowed to grieve for his father.

When I see some of you talking about Andrew and Edward "NOW" taking over the estate management roles I have the serious question if you really think that the DoE did this until his last breath.

On the other way round is this implying that it is a job that can even be done by a very frail 99 year old man and does not require much?

I would think that all of his more active roles have been rearranged to other members of the family for years.

Sorry - misunderstand. The actually running of the estates on a day to day basis is now a paid position done by a professional. But the over looking part where is connects to the Crown estate was still ceremonially done by the DOE But Charles is more then ready and able, to jump in. Just like Charles has already prepared William for estate management.

Having lost my mother=in law (age 93) and father=in law(age 95) due to Covid-19 and my brother(age 66) due to a heart attack, all within a7 week period, I feel the loss of
Prince Phillip deeply.

I'm so sorry for your losses. These are difficult times.

Jerry4 - yes, maybe Andrew was thinking that the last time he was at the chapel for Beatrice's wedding, but it was so lovely to see Prince Philip literally walking tall on that day, which was only 9 months ago. So many people suffer long illnesses or long periods of being virtually bedridden, and that's difficult for anyone, especially for an active person like Prince Philip - I'm glad he was spared that.

I agree with your basic list. I think the 5 extra seats will go to

1. George (He is young but he's a future king and Beatrice was at Diana's funeral when she was younger. If there's wasn't the number restriction he'd definitely be there along with his sister.)
2. The Duke of Kent or Charlotte (I can go either way on this one)
3 - 5. Long time staff members

Perhaps Daniel Chatto and possibly even Mike Tindall and the husbands of Beatrice & Eugenie might forego 'their' places to enable people with a closer/ more longstanding relationship with the Duke and the Queen to attend, for example the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent, Princess Alexandra & Prince Michael, the latter three being 1C1R of the Duke as well as 1c of Her Majesty. I have a feeling the great-grandchildren, with the possible exception of George, will be absent from the ceremony.

Perhaps Daniel Chatto and possibly even Mike Tindall and the husbands of Beatrice & Eugenie might forego 'their' places to enable people with a closer/ more longstanding relationship with the Duke and the Queen to attend, for example the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent, Princess Alexandra & Prince Michael, the latter three being 1C1R of the Duke as well as 1c of Her Majesty. I have a feeling the great-grandchildren, with the possible exception of George, will be absent from the ceremony.

That is a good point, they could stay with the children. Watch it on tv within the castle.I would expect some Mountbatton presence.

I would object to that. George is not more special I this instance than the other great grand children. And he is not the oldest.

Ad for spouses. I certainly my would agree to being absent to make space but would probably travel up to be with the family and sigificant others.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see this with many people walking behind the castle and perhaps I would imagine they will erect an open marquee for people to watch outside.

That is a good point, they could stay with the children. Watch it on tv within the castle.I would expect some Mountbatton presence.

I have seen this alot. It is not allowed in the UK at the moment.

They could certainly erect something outdoors.

Having lost my mother=in law (age 93) and father=in law(age 95) due to Covid-19 and my brother(age 66) due to a heart attack, all within a7 week period, I feel the loss of
Prince Phillip deeply.

So sorry for your loss.

No one questioned a seven year old Princess Eugenie being involved in the absolute circus that was Princess Diana's funeral. Or 3 year old Princess Charlotte being at Prince Harry's wedding. The kids are fine.

I am seriously going to put money on the oldest of them being there. At a private service with 30 members of their family.

Normal families bring their babies to funerals. I went to my first wake at 6.

Thank you. Seriously thank you. And one of the best things about family funerals with older people is to have the next generation there. It provides such a sense of completeness and the circle of life.

This is a celebration of a life well lived. Lived for one his family and 2 his country. His great grandchildren are his family.

She is closer to Sophie.

This is what I'm thinking, that if HM asks anyone to accompany her in the car it would be Sophie.

I can see this as well. I do think it's so sad so many people are having to make the choice of who gets to attends funerals and who doesn't. Not just the royal family but many others. I am also grateful that the RF is following the rules. I know I've heard of more than a few occasions here in the US where people didn't, sometimes with horrible results.

A bit strange that the Wessexes left their son at home - but maybe they (rightly) expected the press and wanted to shield James from the press (or asked James whether he was up to it or would rather stay home).

Louise looked like a real princess. Very poised and supportive of her parents (but also supported by her parents).

It's so lovely that Lady Louise was included - she came across really well on camera, and obviously had a deep affection for her grandfather. We already know that she and James spent a lot of time with their grandparents, and I though it was just so fitting that Lady Louise took his carriage-ponies for some exercise on the morning of her grandfather's death - you can just imagine him asking her to do that!

I lost my 96 year old grandmother when I was 44 - and there is some truth to the fact that the longer you have them, the more you miss them, despite their age.

It's so lovely that Lady Louise was included - she came across really well on camera, and obviously had a deep affection for her grandfather. We already know that she and James spent a lot of time with their grandparents, and I though it was just so fitting that Lady Louise took his carriage-ponies for some exercise on the morning of her grandfather's death - you can just imagine him asking her to do that!

I lost my 96 year old grandmother when I was 44 - and there is some truth to the fact that the longer you have them, the more you miss them, despite their age.

I think at your age that time had come back around. I lost both my grandmothers in my early twenties and I have always felt I never really got to remeet them as an adult.

Louise having yet to leave home still had that initial relationship with her grandparent and it hadn't come full circle for her. How lucky are the others that it did.

Last edited:

I was practically raised by my grandparents. My grandfather and I shared the same birthday. I was in my mid-twenties when he passed away but I still miss him and our birthday has never felt quite right to me from that day to this and he's been gone 20 years now.

I live in the UK.

As they've told people not to come to the castle or gather outside, I can't see how they can have a lot of people in a marquee it would be very difficult for them to socially distance...

I think spouses will be there otherwise there is going to be a lot of people sitting on their own at a funeral. Under the covid rules each household has to be socially distance. I have a feeling Andrew will be with the Queen. Harry possibly with Eugenie or whoever he stays with.

I think spouses will be there otherwise there is going to be a lot of people sitting on their own at a funeral. Under the covid rules each household has to be socially distance. I have a feeling Andrew will be with the Queen. Harry possibly with Eugenie or whoever he stays with.

The Queen and Andrew could very well bubble together but bubbles are fluid and people can enter some for situations such as work and sport.

So the entire family could be enter into one on Thursday if they are all negative and then end the bubble the Saturday or whenever.

The only thing about bubbles is the need to be self contained and then they are fine. Given one the school holidays and two the lack of a need to go out to work they should be okay.

In fairness the job of accompanying the Queen may be taken by a lady in waiting who is already part of her bubble. I'm not sure how, if they want to follow Covid rules, they could get away with Sophie sitting in a car with her.

I absolutely think it would be the right thing to do, but I'm not sure how they will manage it.

As they've told people not to come to the castle or gather outside, I can't see how they can have a lot of people in a marquee it would be very difficult for them to socially distance...

They could for adults, either have a hugh room where chairs are two meters apart and each person has ther own to sit on. Set up a buffet for them to take food from. It has been the situation st my work place for well over a year.

Children are not included in this and neither a social distance at school or outside with others.

So predominately it is all on the adults.

You sent required to socially distanced that much whe outdoors anymore. And certainly people aren't who I see.

In fairness the job of accompanying the Queen may be taken by a lady in waiting who is already part of her bubble. I'm not sure how, if they want to follow Covid rules, they could get away with Sophie sitting in a car with her.

I absolutely think it would be the right thing to do, but I'm not sure how they will manage it.

Not going in the church they could certainly go in the car

I have seen this alot. It is not allowed in the UK at the moment.

They could certainly erect something outdoors.

What exactly is not allowed? To watch tv together? Couldn't each family sit in a different room? I would expect Windsor castle has sufficient rooms to do so if that is what is required.

Last edited:
It woudl be a lot of work, and the various families can watch a film of it later at home... They have asked the public not to come to Windsor nor to leave flowers.. so I think that they should stick to 30 people at the funeral, and a memorial service later when things are better

What exactly is not allowed? To watch tv together? Couldn't each family sit in a different room? I would expect Windsor castle has sufficient rooms to do so if that is what is required.

They could all sit in a large room two meters apart wearing face masks and watch it on screen. Certainly.

I am happy the RF has now maybe had the best and most privacy ever since decades and especially the couple had more than a year being together closely.
Though it might be hard for the old lady HM to cope with both the great loss AND the changes in daily life which she surely appreciated and maybe had not had with DoE since Malta, she comes to turns of course and feels thankful after all-
and so this pandemic had some positive effect for them, too!
And when "normal"life with routine and schedules and appointments comes back, like any other HM might soon deal better.
If not she joins Philip all to soon, which happens often to longtimeweds.
Let's hope the best for Saturday.

But why on earth do the Sussex still leak such private things �� referring to what Betsypaige wrote mentioning vanityfair

No-one's allowed into another person's home at the moment, unless they're in a bubble, or unless they're going there to work e.g. a plumber or a visiting nurse. Even if you sit in different rooms, it's not allowed. Admittedly, most people's homes aren't quite the size of Windsor Castle :) , but it's the same set of rules for everyone.

You can claim exemptions to rules on compassionate grounds, and I don't think anyone's going to mind if Sophie or Anne or anyone else sits with the Queen in the car, but they won't ask people in to watch the funeral on TV together. They could sit outside, as long as they were in groups of no more than six, but it'd be a hassle to rig up the TV outside, and it's also pretty cold for April at the moment.

No-one's allowed into another person's home at the moment, unless they're in a bubble, or unless they're going there to work e.g. a plumber or a visiting nurse. Even if you sit in different rooms, it's not allowed. Admittedly, most people's homes aren't quite the size of Windsor Castle :) , but it's the same set of rules for everyone.

You can claim exemptions to rules on compassionate grounds, and I don't think anyone's going to mind if Sophie or Anne or anyone else sits with the Queen in the car, but they won't ask people in to watch the funeral on TV together. They could sit outside, as long as they were in groups of no more than six, but it'd be a hassle to rig up the TV outside, and it's also pretty cold for April at the moment.

Depends on the designation of the location.

At my work place we all sit in the hall for meetings but need to wear face masks unless eating.

So it depends on the legalise over part of Windsor and it is a workplace and certainly for the workers they will do something. There was also work and cranes there yesterday when I went.

I would also expect spouses to attend.

My basic list would be:
1. The Queen

2. The Prince of Wales
3. The Duchess of Cornwall

4. The Princess Royal
5. Sir Timothy Laurence

6. The Duke of York

7. The Earl of Wessex
8. The Countess of Wessex
9. Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor
10. Viscount Severn

11. The Duke of Cambridge
12. The Duchess of Cambridge

13. The Duke of Sussex

14. Peter Phillips

15. Zara Tindall
16. Michael Tindall

17. Princess Beatrice
18. Eduardo Mapelli Mozzi

19. Princess Eugenie
20. Jack Brooksbank

Remaining 10 spots:
21. Private Secretary to the Duke of Edinburgh (some others suggested it and it makes sense to me)

22. The Countess Mountbatten of Burma

23. Lady Pamela Hicks

Remaining 7 spots; probably to be divided among the following group of people:

1. The Duke of Gloucester
2. The Duchess of Gloucester

3. The Duke of Kent
4. The Duchess of Kent

5. Princess Alexandra

6. Prince Michael of Kent
7. Princess Michael of Kent

8. The Earl of Snowdon

9. Lady Sarah Chatto
10. Daniel Chatto

11. Ashley Hicks (to accompany his mother; if that would be the only way for her to attend)

12. A lady-in-waiting to the queen; depending on the bubbling arrangements. I don't fully understand the 'bubble' principle...

If more than 5 of the final list are too important to be left out; a few that might consider not attending are:
- Lady Pamela Hicks; for health reasons
- Michael Tindall; to stay home with his new-born son
- Jack Brooksbank; to stay home with his new-born son
- Eduardo; as the most recent addition to the family (only if truly needed; I don't like leaving out spouses if not absolutely necessary - as they are also there to support their spouse who in this case lost her beloved grandfather)

I agree with those who stated that I don't expect George to attend; that would only make sense if his older second cousins (Savannah and Isla) would also attend. In this family situation, he is just one of the 10 great-grandchildren; number 3 in age. It would be different in the case of a state funeral for the queen; in that scenario his position as future king comes into play but not now. Just like they are not singling out William; which I appreciate as he is 'just one of the 8 grandchildren'.

I am happy the RF has now maybe had the best and most privacy ever since decades and especially the couple had more than a year being together closely.
Though it might be hard for the old lady HM to cope with both the great loss AND the changes in daily life which she surely appreciated and maybe had not had with DoE since Malta, she comes to turns of course and feels thankful after all-
and so this pandemic had some positive effect for them, too!
And when "normal"life with routine and schedules and appointments comes back, like any other HM might soon deal better.
If not she joins Philip all to soon, which happens often to longtimeweds.
Let's hope the best for Saturday.

I think too, the in the long run, when the Queen will really feel the loss of Philip is during her hiatus at Balmoral this summer. For most people, the real feeling of the loss of a loved one starts after the funeral and the memorial services and the period of mourning is over and people have all gone home and back to ordinary life. The Queen is used to being at Windsor or BP with Philip away at Wood Farm but they were always together at Balmoral and those BBQs will just never be the same again without Philip at the grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom