Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 100%. Ingrid Seward has written that he can be charming in private, and his mother, daughters and ex-wife all adore him for a reason.

But the general impression is of arrogance and entitlement.:sad:

That, and the recent fiasco.

Genuinely asking, why shield James from the press and not Louise?

They might be dealing with their grief differently and there is quite an age difference - one being a young teenager and the other will soon be a young adult. Louise will turn 18 in November of this year; while James is only 13 (turning 14 in December).

Genuinely asking, why shield James from the press and not Louise?
I would believe that Sophie and Edward asked their children if they felt comfortable attending the service knowing that the press would be there. It would appear to me that Louise was comfortable with the conditions but that James was not and chose not to go.

Maybe that gives us a clue about who will be in attendance at the funeral.

It would be extremely weird to leave 1 of 8 grandchildren out. And he doesn't have to face reporters at that point I would hope. So, I fully expect him to attend. He will have had another week to process his grandfather's passing as well; although it might be 'raw' when it is time to say their final goodbyes.

IMO James seems less comfortable with public events than Louise. He has been at some of the more recent big family events but I guess with this more optional church visit he chose not to attend.

Given the limited number that is allowed to attend the funeral, it seems unlikely that the great-grandchildren will attend as that would mean that others cannot. I wouldn't be surprised if the grandchildren arrive one day in advance (or earlier in the day) to give the great-grandchildren a chance to have a short private moment to mourn their grandfather at Windsor Castle.

Why is it strange, he maybe didn't want to do it and they didnt force him.

Did I say it was strange? I was genuinely asking why he seems to be missing from events generally, and I got a kind answer to that.

Did I say it was strange? I was genuinely asking why he seems to be missing from events generally, and I got a kind answer to that.

he is only 13 - a kid really and he and Louise are not doing royal duties and probalby never will do so....

Here is a lovely little story from one of the White House butlers who had an encounter with the Duke in the late 1970's.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99418917

When reflecting on his fondest memory, Westray talks about a time in 1979 when Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip visited the White House. After dinner, Prince Philip went into the Red Room, next to the state dining room. Westray and his buddy were serving liquor. Westray says he was carrying the tray and glasses.
"The prince was in there by himself, which was odd, because everybody else had gone down to the other end of the building," Westray says. "I said, 'Your Majesty, would you care for a cordial?' He says, 'I'll take one if you let me serve it.' What do you do? I didn't do all that because I had the stuff in my hand. And he says, 'If you let me pour it, I'll have one with you.'
"... So he poured it, the one he wanted, and we took the same thing that he had. And we had our drink there together and had a little talk while we were there. He told us if we were ever over there in London to stop at Buckingham Palace and see him. Can you imagine the prince serving you? I enjoyed it. You know, we're not supposed to drink and carry on at that time. We're not guests. It was just the three of us in the room, so nobody knew what happened. And I drank my little cordial, we all drank, and had a little conversation. But that was one thing I'll never forget, having been served by royalty."

I understand that this was a special service for workers on the Windsor grand estate. And that 4 places were given to the royals - the rest of the tickets were drawn by lots, allowing for every group to have a representative there. It was a special service to the Duke who was the estate keeper.
It was believed that Charles, Camilla, Edward and Sophie were to attend. Charles was to give a reading. Just before the service this afternoon - they were told that Prince Andrew would be attending and Louise would make up the fourth seat and Edward would give the reading. Many people in Windsor are seeing it as Charles might be pulling Andrew into public or that Andrew and Edward might have been asked to assist with the estate management.

Either way - there was no place for both children to attend.
I understand that Edward and Sophie will be accepted the condolences from the diplomatic corps during the week on behalf of the family. They will also be privately having the phone calls with the Duke of Edinburgh's patronages and charities. So it looks like Charles is delegating and will be doing the military appointments.

Many people in Windsor are seeing it as Charles might be pulling Andrew into public or that Andrew and Edward might have been asked to assist with the estate management.

That makes sense, but, when Charles is King, who will be expected to manage the estate?

Here is a lovely little story from one of the White House butlers who had an encounter with the Duke in the late 1970's.

My goodness, just when I think I have heard and read every funny/poignant/surprising story about Prince Philip!

And if that butler really did flub and refer to the DoE as "Majesty" i am surprised that Prince Philip didn't make a funny joke out of it. But maybe he didn't want to embarrass the poor guy.;)

I realise I misquoted you by saying strange

So possibly...

1. H.M The Queen
2. H.R.H The Prince of Wales
3. H.R.H The Duchess of Cornwall
4. H.R.H The Duke of Cambridge
5. H.R.H The Duchess of Cambridge
6. H.R.H The Duke of Sussex
7. H.R.H The Duke of York
8. H.R.H The Princess Beatrice Mrs Edoardo Mapelli-Mozzi
9. H.R.H The Princess Eugenie Mrs Jack Brooksbank
10. H.R.H The Earl of Wessex
11. H.R.H The Countess of Wessex
12. Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor
13. James, Viscount Severn
14. H.R.H The Princess Royal
15. Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence
16. Mr Peter Phillips
17. Mrs Zara Tindall
18. Mr Mike Tindall
19. The 2:nd Earl Snowdon
20. Lady Sarah Chatto
21. Mr Daniel Chatto
22. The Countess Mountbatten of Burma
23. Lady Pamela Hicks
24. Mr Ashley Hicks
25. Private Secretary

That would leave 5 seats.... Perhaps for George, Charlotte, Savannah, Isla and Mia if they decide that great grandchildren will attend.... Otherwise longtime staff members..... I would be very surprised to see the Kent’s or the Gloucester’s there... Maybe The Duke of Kent if there turns out to be a space for him as he is quite close related to Philip Too... But i don’t think those branches will have priority...

I agree with your basic list. I think the 5 extra seats will go to

1. George (He is young but he's a future king and Beatrice was at Diana's funeral when she was younger. If there's wasn't the number restriction he'd definitely be there along with his sister.)
2. The Duke of Kent or Charlotte (I can go either way on this one)
3 - 5. Long time staff members

Chester Cathedral of Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary held a Service of Thanksgiving for HRH The Late Duke of Edinburgh earlier today.

And also at Peterborough Cathedral of St Peter, St Paul and St Andrew.

Some nice words from Queen Rania

Last edited:
My most funny story about the DOE involves a whole in the wall (ATM) for my American friends. The Windsor local bank manager got a surprised phone call in the 19980's about the Duke of Edinburgh wanting to know how the machine worked and how it was filled and such. The manager thought it was a joke and ignored the request, until the Duke's private secretary came into the bank branch and made it formally.
So at 10 at night while the money was been filled in they allows the Duke of Edinburgh to see how the money was placed into the machine and then allowed him to withdrawal cash as well. The manager noted he was like a child at a birthday party. A week later they were asked if they would do it again for him - as he wanted to show the Queen and Prince Edward.

I agree with your basic list. I think the 5 extra seats will go to

1. George (He is young but he's a future king and Beatrice was at Diana's funeral when she was younger. If there's wasn't the number restriction he'd definitely be there along with his sister.)
2. The Duke of Kent or Charlotte (I can go either way on this one)
3 - 5. Long time staff members

I wondered if some of the staff would form some sort of guard of honour , I think it was the Duke of Devonshires funeral where that happened, it was an opportunity to show their respects.

I'm putting this here for obvious reasons, but I suppose it may belong in the Relationships thread.

I've always been interested in Charles' relationship with his parents; this one has some insights into his with Philip.

They really did have quite a few things in common - it's just that Charles wasn't the alpha-male Philip was.

I didn't realize Camilla had helped bring them together; she's really remarkable. It actually reminds me of how Kate helped bring Charles and William closer.

I'm so glad that Charles and his father "reconciled" and grew closer over the years. There are few things in this world worse than living with regret....

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-10...-duke-of-edinburgh-and-his-son-prince-charles

Sally Bedell Smith wrote of the reconciliation. I don't think it was mostly Camilla, more that Charles felt some regret for speaking out about his parents with Dimbleby. I saw a special where Charles looked at home movies with his parents and teared up. I think Charles felt it was time. Just my thoughts.

Even Edward's pre-recorded interview could easily be misconstrued by focusing on how he said that as he went to boarding school, he could mainly share memories from the holidays they had - which he had fond memories of as his parents did try to make time for them - but otherwise he hardly saw his parents and they were busy focusing on their royal duties; not raising children.

So, I agree. I appreciate the children not making a saint out their father but showing their appreciation for the man he was - with, like each of us, with his peculiarities (and flaws).

Exactly, and Philip probably would have fumed had they tried to make him something he wasn’t, lol.

Oh, that’s wonderful !

I understand that this was a special service for workers on the Windsor grand estate. And that 4 places were given to the royals - the rest of the tickets were drawn by lots, allowing for every group to have a representative there. It was a special service to the Duke who was the estate keeper.
It was believed that Charles, Camilla, Edward and Sophie were to attend. Charles was to give a reading. Just before the service this afternoon - they were told that Prince Andrew would be attending and Louise would make up the fourth seat and Edward would give the reading. Many people in Windsor are seeing it as Charles might be pulling Andrew into public or that Andrew and Edward might have been asked to assist with the estate management.

I understand that Edward and Sophie will be accepted the condolences from the diplomatic corps during the week on behalf of the family. They will also be privately having the phone calls with the Duke of Edinburgh's patronages and charities. So it looks like Charles is delegating and will be doing the military appointments.

So Charles and Camilla didn’t appear? Andrew has been deservedly removed from being a working Royal, but maybe Charles wanted to give his brother a chance to be there for his father as he is grieving like the rest of them.

This all makes sense, though - Charles can’t do everything, and eventually when HM passes, Edward will be taking up more duties.

My most funny story about the DOE involves a whole in the wall (ATM) for my American friends. The Windsor local bank manager got a surprised phone call in the 19980's about the Duke of Edinburgh wanting to know how the machine worked and how it was filled and such. The manager thought it was a joke and ignored the request, until the Duke's private secretary came into the bank branch and made it formally.
So at 10 at night while the money was been filled in they allows the Duke of Edinburgh to see how the money was placed into the machine and then allowed him to withdrawal cash as well. The manager noted he was like a child at a birthday party. A week later they were asked if they would do it again for him - as he wanted to show the Queen and Prince Edward.

????? I love this so much !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be a matter of perception, but I found Andrew much more emotional and also much more dejected than Edward

I thought here maybe the last time he was in the chapel was at his daughter's wedding and now a father's death service.

So Charles and Camilla didn’t appear? Andrew has been deservedly removed from being a working Royal, but maybe Charles wanted to give his brother a chance to be there for his father as he is grieving like the rest of them.

This all makes sense, though - Charles can’t do everything, and eventually when HM passes, Edward will be taking up more duties.

It might make sense for either Andrew or Edward to take up estate duties. Andrew because he lives on the estate and it's something productive to do that's not public or controversial and Edward because he also lives nearby among other things.

It might make sense for either Andrew or Edward to take up estate duties. Andrew because he lives on the estate and it's something productive to do that's not public or controversial and Edward because he also lives nearby among other things.

I think Edward will be very busy in the future.

Andrew is the perfect person to tu the estate

So sorry to hear of Prince Phillip's passing. He was one of the Greatest Generation.

The end of a truly remarkable life. He will be missed by so many.

Having lost my mother=in law (age 93) and father=in law(age 95) due to Covid-19 and my brother(age 66) due to a heart attack, all within a7 week period, I feel the loss of
Prince Phillip deeply.

This is a great story! Lol

Philip seems to have been a very curious person- about people, how things worked, etc. That must have served him well in life in general, but also in his role.

This is a great story! Lol

Philip seems to have been a very curious person- about people, how things worked, etc. That must have served him well in life in general, but also in his role.

I think that's going to be shown next Saturday when his coffin is carried to St. George's Chapel on a modified Range Rover. It was Philip's modifications to the Range Rover that were made. Philip was one to always try and find a new and improved way of doing things and it kept him busy and active. He really took the managing of the Sandringham estate to heart and that is, I believe, one reason he loved staying at Wood Farm.

In many respects he was like Prince Consort Albert. They both were modernizers and thinkers and doers. :D

Thanks for the additional information. That explains Louise's presence and not James's.

I think it was a wise decision to have Andrew attend this service. In that way, the funeral isn't the first time he is officially seen in public again. And as one of the duke's 4 children, there is no reason to exclude him from family occasions related to his father's death. He won't do the more formal 'royal engagements' but this seemed an appropriate event to have Andrew attend as one of the four grieving children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom