Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Philip: The War Years - Duke Of Edinburgh On Serving In WW2 • FULL 1995 INTERV

Prince Philip: The War Years - Duke Of Edinburgh On Serving In WW2 • FULL 1995 INTERVIEW. Prince Philip is so charming.

Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Louis are all at church. Andrew apparently gave a speech discussing his parents.

OT: One of my favourite historical places in Sofia is the Battenberg Mausoleum (the Memorial Tomb of Alexander I of Battenberg). He was the first Head of State of modern Bulgaria. It's a beautiful, if understated place. It's dignified without intruding on the passers-by. I think I'll go there on the day of the funeral and give Prince Philip some thought. (Alexander of Battenberg was his grandfather's brother and a historical figure of great, recently rediscovered importance in our modern history.)

That's a great idea to pay homage to a deserving man! I'll be in Sofia next Saturday and may go there myself :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Penny is now Countess Mountbatten.

I was just wondering, aren't all Countesses by marriages to Counts? Are there any Countesses who are by their own rights?

In the UK, the equivalent in rank to a count is called an earl. Wives of earls are called countesses.

Historically, there have been several countesses in their own right in the British Isles. Wikipedia has a full list of all peerages of the British isles held by women since the 14th century. Currently, I think the only living countess in her own right in the UK is the Countess of Mar, whose heir presumptive, if I am not mistakn, is her only daughter.

Last edited:
Their house, Bagshot Park, is close to Windsor - under 30 minutes away. I suspect they just travelled from home to the chapel.

Members of the Royal Family speak after a Service at The Royal Chapel of All Saints

ITV's When Phillip Met Prince Philip | Online Exclusive Clips.

Very nice short interview

We saw Sophie and Charles express emotion publicly yesterday and no doubt have done among themselves. The things we've heard and seen don't point to a lack of emotion about this in the family.

Not to mention Andrew and Edward’s comments at church today. As they said, the Queen is a stoic person, but this loss is affecting her deeply. People experience grief and sadness in different ways, but none of them are trying to hide the fact that Philip’s death has hit them hard.

Members of the Royal Family speak after a Service at The Royal Chapel of All Saints

Thanks for posting. I’m so sorry for their loss, but its lovely that they’re drawing strength from the fact that their father was so loved.

HM is so strong, but she’d going to look even tinier than usual next week ..that will be hard to see

Last edited:
Sources close to Charles have always been keen to stress that his "difficult" relationship with his father had long become an old caricature that nobody had "bothered to update".

They say the prince took "great comfort" in being in regular contact with his father in recent weeks, as well as being the only member of the Royal family to visit him during his four-week spell in two London hospitals earlier this year

Another lovely article.... I’m so glad that Charles had these moments with his “dear papa”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...ip/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_iosshare_Aw76h1qMksy5

Another lovely article.... I’m so glad that Charles had these moments with his “dear papa”

Prince Charles spoke warmly of his father outside his home at Highgrove.

However, it struck me that, in his BBC clip, Charles mentioned that Philip didn't appreciate ambiguity and, accordingly, one had to be careful and think twice before talking to him. It sounded like he was coming out as a boy still very terrified to talk to his father.

I don't know, it was just a weird thing to say, not unlike Charles' infamous "whatever love is" line.

Thank you for sharing this with us and Andrew, Edward and a visibly emotional Sophie shared their thoughts on the late Prince Phillip.

Andrew doesn't seem to be getting any love from the public. The comments on DM and elsewhere have been scathing. I think the public is done with him.

Last edited:
Prince Charles spoke warmly of his father outside his home at Highgrove.

However, it struck me that, in his BBC clip, Charles mentioned that Philip didn't appreciate ambiguity and, accordingly, one had to be careful and think twice before talking to him. It sounded like he was coming out as a boy still very terrified to talk to his father.

I don't know, it was just a weird thing to say, not unlike Charles' infamous "whatever love is" line.

I didn’t actually watch that pre-recorded interview, but I’m sure that’s not what he meant - to appear terrified. The full quote is below. I think he’s just saying that his father was a decisive man, and didn’t appreciate those who hemmed and hawed constantly, never able to make a decision. It seems to be he’s just being honest about his father ...and, probably most would agree about that, lol.

"He didn’t suffer fools gladly, so if you said anything that was in any way ambiguous, he'd go: 'Make up your mind,' so perhaps it made you choose your words carefully. He was very good at showing you how to do things and instructing you how to do things."

Edward and a visibly emotional Sophie shared their thoughts on the late Prince Phillip.

The Wessex Family are so lovely and natural especially the Countess.

Thank you for posting these interviews. I could watch this over and over again. The Wessex's are indeed such a sweet and genuine family. Their accessibility in this difficult time is truly touching.

I didn’t actually watch that pre-recorded interview, but I’m sure that’s not what he meant - to appear terrified. The full quote is below. I think he’s just saying that his father was a decisive man, and didn’t appreciate those who hemmed and hawed constantly, never able to make a decision. It seems to be he’s just being honest about his father ...and, probably most would agree about that, lol.

Even Edward's pre-recorded interview could easily be misconstrued by focusing on how he said that as he went to boarding school, he could mainly share memories from the holidays they had - which he had fond memories of as his parents did try to make time for them - but otherwise he hardly saw his parents and they were busy focusing on their royal duties; not raising children.

So, I agree. I appreciate the children not making a saint out their father but showing their appreciation for the man he was - with, like each of us, with his peculiarities (and flaws).

:previous:

The Duke of York, the Earl and Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise at the Royal Chapel of All Saints at Royal Lodge today:

** rex gallery **

** dm article: Royal family attend church as Philip is remembered in prayers **

** dm article: 'We have lost the grandfather of the nation': Prince Andrew pays tribute..**
A bit strange that the Wessexes left their son at home - but maybe they (rightly) expected the press and wanted to shield James from the press (or asked James whether he was up to it or would rather stay home).

Louise looked like a real princess. Very poised and supportive of her parents (but also supported by her parents).

Last edited:
Does the Prince have a lot of Godchildren ?
Prince Philip was the Godfather of the Custudian Margretha of Roumania. He was born the same year as her late Father

A bit strange that the Wessexes left their son at home - but maybe they (rightly) expected the press and wanted to shield James from the press (or asked James whether he was up to it or would rather stay home).

Genuinely asking, why shield James from the press and not Louise?

I think Andrew has an unfortunately pompous demeanour when speaking which just plays into the public's perception of him.

I agree 100%. Ingrid Seward has written that he can be charming in private, and his mother, daughters and ex-wife all adore him for a reason.

But the general impression is of arrogance and entitlement.:sad:

Maybe that gives us a clue about who will be in attendance at the funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom