Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Countess Mountbatten died 4 years ago, so she certainly won't be there! But maybe her son and daughter-in-law, especially as Penny was close to Prince Philip.

And since then Norton and Penny are the Earl and Countess Mountbatten of Burma

I read somewhere the vault is the same one his mother was interred until she was moved to the Mount of Olives. I thought that connection was very appropriate.

Yes that's very true Princess Alice's coffin was placed in the royal vault following her funeral on the 10th of December 1969 and lay there until she was reburied at the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem in August 1988.

Again Princess Eugenie...7...Lady Di's funeral. Again Lady Louise...7...Kate and Wills wedding.

There was actually no reason to take the older children away during Eugenie's wedding. And Harry's. I really dont know why they did. Louise and Margarita and the boys were perfectly happy and content sitting with Pippa during Kate and William's. The only took the little ones away.

And William,Zara et al were tiny during Andrew amd Sarah's wedding and they just left them there happily. Harry was there hanging out to

I dont know why they did that to be honest. A lot of people commented on it being a shame. And I guess once Harry did it it Eugenie followed suit cos it worked well. But most of the children at hers were older and more able. It was odd.

We will know next Saturday, we all have opinions how we would deal with situations but it is their family event with the added restrictions of COVID so they will know themselves what they would like to do.

We will know next Saturday, we all have opinions how we would deal with situations but it is their family event with the added restrictions of COVID so they will know themselves what they would like to do.

The family decisions in the time of Covid are ones no one wanted to make. And they will do what works for them.

But I do strongly object over their ages issue. They are not too young to do anything and I actually blame the presedent set at H and Ms wedding of taking the children away.

Nobody ever questioned any child's ability to behave and to sit and understand before that. And when they are included they have behaved amazingly. Diana herself had a 5 year old flower girl who sat through the service.

And has anyone met a standard 10 year old these days. I put on the Tempest with my lot 2 years ago.

Last edited:
I expect to see the Countess of Burma, Penelope Knatchbull there definitely. She was very close to Philip over the years.

I would more expect Lady Pamela Hicks to be there, rather than Penelope Knatchbull.

A quite logical list.

By the way: it is not The Princess Beatrice resp The Princess Eugenie.

The word The is reserved for children of a Sovereign. And -by royal command- it was used for the late Duke also: The Prince Philip.

Yes, by marriage, but not in her own right.

Yes but her husband Norton has health issues so I think people would assume he wouldn’t attend. It has always been Penny who had the closer relationship with the Queen and the Duke.

Maybe the Margrave of Baden will attend, If Harry can go from America, I don't see why a nephew or niece from Germany couldn't, as long as they follow the same rules.

Last edited:
So possibly...

1. H.M The Queen
2. H.R.H The Prince of Wales
3. H.R.H The Duchess of Cornwall
4. H.R.H The Duke of Cambridge
5. H.R.H The Duchess of Cambridge
6. H.R.H The Duke of Sussex
7. H.R.H The Duke of York
8. H.R.H The Princess Beatrice Mrs Edoardo Mapelli-Mozzi
9. H.R.H The Princess Eugenie Mrs Jack Brooksbank
10. H.R.H The Earl of Wessex
11. H.R.H The Countess of Wessex
12. Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor
13. James, Viscount Severn
14. H.R.H The Princess Royal
15. Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence
16. Mr Peter Phillips
17. Mrs Zara Tindall
18. Mr Mike Tindall
19. The 2:nd Earl Snowdon
20. Lady Sarah Chatto
21. Mr Daniel Chatto
22. The Countess Mountbatten of Burma
23. Lady Pamela Hicks
24. Mr Ashley Hicks
25. Private Secretary

That would leave 5 seats.... Perhaps for George, Charlotte, Savannah, Isla and Mia if they decide that great grandchildren will attend.... Otherwise longtime staff members..... I would be very surprised to see the Kent’s or the Gloucester’s there... Maybe The Duke of Kent if there turns out to be a space for him as he is quite close related to Philip Too... But i don’t think those branches will have priority...

There won't be any small children there. The ceremony will be too long for any of them to attend.

I see that the press release states that members of The Duke of Edinburgh’s household will also walk behind the coffin... i get the impression there will be more people from his staff there than just his private secretary...

If that’s the case, i’m almost sure that the great grandchildren won’t be inside the Chapel (but likely watching on tv from inside the castle)

I see that the press release states that members of The Duke of Edinburgh’s household will also walk behind the coffin... i get the impression there will be more people from his staff there than just his private secretary...

If that’s the case, I’m almost sure that the great grandchildren won’t be inside the Chapel (but likely watching on tv from inside the castle)

I think you're right. Some of his staff have probably been with him for 40 years or more. And I'm sure HM will let a select few come.

The rule of 30 may look stern but I believe it's for the best. My grandfather died last summer and while holding a service inside the church was forbidden and large gatherings not encouraged - for funerals, only the presence of the family was officially recommended, - there were many people who showed up to the churchyard. I appreciated their desire to say goodbye and they did try to observe some distancing but it was hard. It was particularly difficult to keep my sister in-law, who had a two month old at the time, sufficiently apart from everyone else. Many times during the service, I wished that she had just stayed home but she insisted on coming. We had an elderly mourner with a heart condition faint due to swelter and emotion.

Overall, I support the forced reduction in numbers and 30 is a decent number even for someone with so many to mourn him as the Duke of Edinburgh. It's good of everyone not so closely related to free up space. We're living in a very particular time.

HRH gave close to 6,000 speeches which he wrote himself. Many of our ex Politicians and dignitaries having been regaling us with many Prince Philip annecdotes, giving us plenty of laughs. Laughter was another essential part of His Royal Highnesses life along with his dignity, honour and integrity. He was quintessentially a thorough gentleman.

My heart goes out to the Queen who had a special relationship with her life partner after all those wonderful exciting years together.

Louise is a grandchild not a great grandchild. I think that she and her brother will definitely be there. I agree that many of the great grandchildren are old enough to attend and would attend were it not for the Covid restriction of 30 people. Due to that number I think that Sarah and David, Margaret’s children, for example, had a longer and closer relationship with him and would provide more comfort to the Queen. I would be very surprised if they weren’t there.

I would more expect Lady Pamela Hicks to be there, rather than Penelope Knatchbull.

Perhaps both of them. All I know is that Philip and Penny were very close over the years. They both were carriage driving aficionados. Both the Queen and Philip were there for Penny when Norton took off for the tropics.

Here is an interesting article that tells us more about the Countess Mountbatten of Burma. ?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...ten-lady-penelope-brabourne-Norton-Knatchbull

I think you're right. Some of his staff have probably been with him for 40 years or more. And I'm sure HM will let a select few come.

Or maybe they will walk behind the casket but not go inside for the ceremony.

If that’s the case, i’m almost sure that the great grandchildren won’t be inside the Chapel (but likely watching on tv from inside the castle)

They won't be able to able to do that.

I am sure the staff will. I am less sure that they will go in. They are more likely to watch a life feed.

The rule of 30 may look stern but I believe it's for the best. My grandfather died last summer and while holding a service inside the church was forbidden and large gatherings not encouraged - for funerals, only the presence of the family was officially recommended, - there were many people who showed up to the churchyard. I appreciated their desire to say goodbye and they did try to observe some distancing but it was hard. It was particularly difficult to keep my sister in-law, who had a two month old at the time, sufficiently apart from everyone else. Many times during the service, I wished that she had just stayed home but she insisted on coming. We had an elderly mourner with a heart condition faint due to swelter and emotion.

Overall, I support the forced reduction in numbers and 30 is a decent number even for someone with so many to mourn him as the Duke of Edinburgh. It's good of everyone not so closely related to free up space. We're living in a very particular time.

This happened at a friends fathers funeral too. Our friends lined up outside the church throughout the service.

I was due to return to the UK the day before and in normal circumstances would have postponed to attend the funeral but I went ahead and watched it by life feed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my God, just imagine what the poor queen is going through working out who the 30 are , just look at us. Or maybe she knows what she wants and people will just have to accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Penny is now Countess Mountbatten.[/QUOTE]

I was just wondering, aren't all Countesses by marriages to Counts? Are there any Countesses who are by their own rights?

Oh my God, just imagine what the poor queen is going through working out who the 30 are , just look at us. Or maybe she knows what she wants and people will just have to accept it.

It isn't a big deal. People all over have had to do and it comes down to priorities. She will be fine. This has been going on for a year in peoples lives people have got married, died, the works and everyone just watched it live and understands.

Everyone will understand.

Quote:
Penny is now Countess Mountbatten.

I was just wondering, aren't all Countesses by marriages to Counts? Are there any Countesses who are by their own rights?

Not the first one. She was the heir in her own right.

So possibly...

1. H.M The Queen
2. H.R.H The Prince of Wales
3. H.R.H The Duchess of Cornwall
4. H.R.H The Duke of Cambridge
5. H.R.H The Duchess of Cambridge
6. H.R.H The Duke of Sussex
7. H.R.H The Duke of York
8. H.R.H The Princess Beatrice Mrs Edoardo Mapelli-Mozzi
9. H.R.H The Princess Eugenie Mrs Jack Brooksbank
10. H.R.H The Earl of Wessex
11. H.R.H The Countess of Wessex
12. Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor
13. James, Viscount Severn
14. H.R.H The Princess Royal
15. Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence
16. Mr Peter Phillips
17. Mrs Zara Tindall
18. Mr Mike Tindall
19. The 2:nd Earl Snowdon
20. Lady Sarah Chatto
21. Mr Daniel Chatto
22. The Countess Mountbatten of Burma
23. Lady Pamela Hicks
24. Mr Ashley Hicks
25. Private Secretary

That would leave 5 seats.... Perhaps for George, Charlotte, Savannah, Isla and Mia if they decide that great grandchildren will attend.... Otherwise longtime staff members..... I would be very surprised to see the Kent’s or the Gloucester’s there... Maybe The Duke of Kent if there turns out to be a space for him as he is quite close related to Philip Too... But i don’t think those branches will have priority...

For me small children and some spouses will be absent to make rooms for, at least, The Duke of Goucester, the Kents brothers and Pcess Alexandra.

It isn't a big deal. People all over have had to do and it comes down to priorities. She will be fine. This has been going on for a year in peoples lives people have got married, died, the works and everyone just watched it live and understands.

Everyone will understand.

Exactly and she will have already decided if the great grand children are going or not regardless of age.

Quote:

I was just wondering, aren't all Countesses by marriages to Counts? Are there any Countesses who are by their own rights?[/QUOTE]

There aren’t any Counts in the British peerage. They are Earls, an extremely old ranking. There are Counts in some European peerages. I believe there are a few Countesses in their own right in the Scottish system of inherited titles, which works differently to England’s.

Quote:

I was just wondering, aren't all Countesses by marriages to Counts? Are there any Countesses who are by their own rights?[/QUOTE]

In a few cases, the letters patent are issued with a special reminder to allow for the eldest daughter to inherit the titles.

That was the case for Earl Mountbatten of Burma. That creation was made with a special reminder to allow his eldest daughter Lady Patricia, to inherit her fathers titles.

There is no such case in the currently living Royal Family as far as i know

For me small children and some spouses will be absent to make rooms for, at least, The Duke of Goucester, the Kents brothers and Pcess Alexandra.

Priorities.

And there are seven of them. Who would would you kick out?

You can't ask one without the others and they are all getting really elderly now...even Prince and Princess Michael of Kent. And to be honest safety is best.

It's a tough one. It's hard when you can only invite a few.

But for instance Philip was raised with the Montbattens and there is only one.

Also the note says member after the royal family will attend and special so I guess it will be them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom