Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would only the MALE spouses be asked to give up their seat for elder family members? Why not the FEMALE spouses as well? Tim and Daniel have both been married into the family longer than Sophie, Camilla or Kate.

I can't see the Middletons or Sarah in attendance.

And, I really don't understand this "kids under 10 are too young to attend a funeral in person." That leaves me scratching my head in disbelief because most kids who are George/Mia's age and even Charlotte's age (nearly 6) are more than capable of understanding death and will have had a relationship with their great-grandfather for them to want to be in attendance. My youngest niece was around Charlotte's age when my grandmother died and she certainly had a special bond with her great-grandma and went to the funeral.

Realistically I don't think the younger great-grandchildren saw Philip very often or had a special bond with him. The older ones, especially Lady Louise, were closer to him.

It would make sense. Especially as Lady Pamela was a Lady in Waiting to her for several years... She was even with them in Africa when the accession happened.

And we know through India Hicks ig-account that Lady Pamela is vaccinated too.

At the moment that makes no difference to regulations in the UK. You still have to follow thr rules.

I would think people permitting that Pamela will attend with India...as she seems to be bubbled with her.

A previous poster suggested it could be Lady Pamela Hicks which I think is a good suggestion. At 91 she couldn’t do the walk to the chapel with the others. I can’t see her not attending the service.

I believe she uses a wheelchair now.

Realistically I don't think the younger great-grandchildren saw Philip very often or had a special bond with him. The older ones, especially Lady Louise, were closer to him.

She is 17 years old.

Seriously what is going on? Do people actually think these people are 5?

I would also be wary of thinking anything about their intimate relationships.

I have seen pictures of Isla Philip's enveloping Lord Severn in a hug. Of Charlotte jumping up and down on Eugenie. Of Charlotte running up to Mia in girlish awe.

The family are close and have, pre Covid, seen a tremendous amount of eachother.

Last edited:
I do not envy the man who has to arrange the walk behind the coffin with Harry and Andrew in the mix

But they might make to children first row, grand kids next. Then if James walks he will be looked after by Peter Philips. But I think they would like Edward to be near James if he walks. Then it goes in line of succession - and Harry and Andrew end up together...

She is 17 years old.

Seriously what is going on? Do people actually think these people are 5?

Once again - it has nothing to do with age. It does have to do with allowing the older generation who have known the Duke for his whole life to have a chance to say goodbye. I see nothing wrong with Louise given up her chair for the Duke of Kent. I don't think her or her parents will either. But this is all in vain until the list is announced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Louise is actually a grandchild and not a great grandchild. She also spent a lot of time with her grandfather taking up carriage driving which was one of Philip's passions. It's telling that Louise chose to take the horses out and drive the carriage the morning of her grandfather's death. In her own way, she was paying tribute to the man that taught her everything she knows about driving those horses. ?

She'll definitely be there.

I do not envy the man who has to arrange the walk behind the coffin with Harry and Andrew in the mix

But they might make to children first row, grand kids next. Then if James walks he will be looked after by Peter Philips. But I think they would like Edward to be near James if he walks. Then it goes in line of succession - and Harry and Andrew end up together...

Who knows who will walk. All of them I warrant. Male, female the works.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment that makes no difference to regulations in the UK. You still have to follow thr rules.

I would think people permitting that Pamela will attend with India...as she seems to be bubbled with her.

India lives in the Caribbean. Lady Pamela bubbles with her son.

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were fairly young (42) when he died and had been married for just 21 years. Albert death was rather sudden: Victoria was left as a fairly young widow with 6 or 7 children still at at home. The youngest only being 4 at the time. She lived another 39 years. she spent most of her life without Albert. Also pro longed grieving was common in 19th century however with Victoria was very unusual even for that time. In 21st century she probably be diagnosed with depression and put on meds possibly. Had Albert and Victoria grown old together and he died in 1899 or 1900 it might have different.

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip were in the mid/late 90s (way being the average life expectancy) and married 73 years. Their children are all very grown with children and have now grandchildren of their own. They spent the majority of their life together. Their separation won’t be nearly as long and The Queen knows this. Prince Philip for the better part of the last decade had been in and out of hospital and over the last year or so had become more sick. His last hospital stay set off alarm bells. His death was not sudden of unexpected.

It not to say it make things easier but because of this the grief the current Queen going through is probably very different then Queen Victoria. Certainly not so profound.

Once again - it has nothing to do with age. It does have to do with allowing the older generation who have known the Duke for his whole life to have a chance to say goodbye. I see nothing wrong with Louise given up her chair for the Duke of Kent. I don't think her or her parents will either. But this is all in vain until the list is announced.

I do. She is his Granddaughter and I am sure the Duke of Kent would feel the same about his own family.

Blood is thicker and these are his descendants.

The announcement from the family said basically expect children and grandchildren.

When the Royal Family defined the number of people who will be at the funeral, it would probably have already been decided who would be there.

Louise is actually a grandchild and not a great grandchild. She also spent a lot of time with her grandfather taking up carriage driving which was one of Philip's passions. It's telling that Louise chose to take the horses out and drive the carriage the morning of her grandfather's death. In her own way, she was paying tribute to the man that taught her everything she knows about driving those horses. ?

She'll definitely be there.

Sorry, it was badly worded. In the second sentence, I meant the older children in the family, not just great-grandchildren.

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were fairly young (42) when he died and had been married for just 21 years. Albert death was rather sudden: Victoria was left as a fairly young widow with 6 or 7 children still at at home. The youngest only being 4 at the time. She lived another 39 years. she spent most of her life without Albert. Also pro longed grieving was common in 19th century however with Victoria was very unusual even for that time. In 21st century she probably be diagnosed with depression and put on meds possibly. Had Albert and Victoria grown old together and he died in 1899 or 1900 it might have different.

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip were in the mid/late 90s (way being the average life expectancy) and married 73 years. Their children are all very grown with children and have now grandchildren of their own. They spent the majority of their life together. Their separation won’t be nearly as long and The Queen knows this. Prince Philip for the better part of the last decade had been in and out of hospital and over the last year or so had become more sick. His last hospital stay set off alarm bells. His death was not sudden of unexpected.

It not to say it make things easier but because of this the grief the current Queen going through is probably very different then Queen Victoria. Certainly not so profound.

Aot of Victoria's behaviour wouldn't it be accepted now. She was a tyrant . But 42 then was a different 42 from today and her grieve was oppressive. A good doctor, therapy possibly medication and a sharp talk about her choices are affecting her children would be had today.

I imagine we will see the Queen’s children and grandchildren with their spouses. I don’t think any of the great grandchildren will attend, not because of their age but simply because of the rule of 30. The final few places are more likely to be taken up by people Philip was especially close to.

It was announced earlier that the coffin of Prince Philip will be lowered into the vault directly under St George’s Chapel and not at the George VI Memorial Chapel.

Maybe that will happen at a later date?

https://images.app.goo.gl/7ATtvwgMfZ8tTpFv8

Yes, after Elizabeth passes, they will both be interred in the George VI Memorial Chapel.

That is not known for certain. Thanks to my noisy mother two years ago who asked the staff about it.

In fact I think that isn't likely given that Margaret needed to be cremated to be put there.

When the Queen dies they have their own area for them.

Apparently it will be in the wills.but obviously they would have discussed what they wanted.

Last edited:
It was announced earlier that the coffin of Prince Philip will be lowered into the vault directly under St George’s Chapel and not at the George VI Memorial Chapel.

Maybe that will happen at a later date?

https://images.app.goo.gl/7ATtvwgMfZ8tTpFv8

I read somewhere the vault is the same one his mother was interred until she was moved to the Mount of Olives. I thought that connection was very appropriate.

So possibly...

1. H.M The Queen
2. H.R.H The Prince of Wales
3. H.R.H The Duchess of Cornwall
4. H.R.H The Duke of Cambridge
5. H.R.H The Duchess of Cambridge
6. H.R.H The Duke of Sussex
7. H.R.H The Duke of York
8. H.R.H The Princess Beatrice Mrs Edoardo Mapelli-Mozzi
9. H.R.H The Princess Eugenie Mrs Jack Brooksbank
10. H.R.H The Earl of Wessex
11. H.R.H The Countess of Wessex
12. Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor
13. James, Viscount Severn
14. H.R.H The Princess Royal
15. Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence
16. Mr Peter Phillips
17. Mrs Zara Tindall
18. Mr Mike Tindall
19. The 2:nd Earl Snowdon
20. Lady Sarah Chatto
21. Mr Daniel Chatto
22. The Countess Mountbatten of Burma
23. Lady Pamela Hicks
24. Mr Ashley Hicks
25. Private Secretary

That would leave 5 seats.... Perhaps for George, Charlotte, Savannah, Isla and Mia if they decide that great grandchildren will attend.... Otherwise longtime staff members..... I would be very surprised to see the Kent’s or the Gloucester’s there... Maybe The Duke of Kent if there turns out to be a space for him as he is quite close related to Philip Too... But i don’t think those branches will have priority...

So possibly...

1. H.M The Queen
16. Mr Peter Phillips
17. Mrs Zara Tindall
18. Mr Mike Tindall
20. Lady Sarah Chatto
21. Mr Daniel Chatto
23. Lady Pamela Hicks
24. Mr Ashley Hicks
25. Private Secretary

That would leave 5 seats.... Perhaps for George, Charlotte, Savannah, Isla and Mia if they decide that great grandchildren will attend.... Otherwise longtime staff members..... I would be very surprised to see the Kent’s or the Gloucester’s there... Maybe The Duke of Kent if there turns out to be a space for him as he is quite close related to Philip Too... But i don’t think those branches will have priority...

Jack Brooksbank and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi are missed in the list.

So possibly...

1. H.M The Queen
16. Mr Peter Phillips
17. Mrs Zara Tindall
18. Mr Mike Tindall
20. Lady Sarah Chatto
21. Mr Daniel Chatto
23. Lady Pamela Hicks
24. Mr Ashley Hicks
25. Private Secretary

I think that may be it.

The children are young and when you think about the weddings the children were taken away until the end. trying to keep them to sit at attention might be quite difficult, especially during a solemn occasion, and lets be honest people would be quick to judge if they caused a disruption. They might all be as somebody suggested watching tv in the castle.

Countess Mountbatten died 4 years ago, so she certainly won't be there! But maybe her son and daughter-in-law, especially as Penny was close to Prince Philip.

Countess Mountbatten died 4 years ago, so she certainly won't be there! But maybe her son and daughter-in-law, especially as Penny was close to Prince Philip.

Penny is now Countess Mountbatten.

The children are young and when you think about the weddings the children were taken away until the end. trying to keep them to sit at attention might be quite difficult, especially during a solemn occasion, and lets be honest people would be quick to judge if they caused a disruption. They might all be as somebody suggested watching tv in the castle.

Again Princess Eugenie...7...Lady Di's funeral. Again Lady Louise...7...Kate and Wills wedding.

There was actually no reason to take the older children away during Eugenie's wedding. And Harry's. I really dont know why they did. Louise and Margarita and the boys were perfectly happy and content sitting with Pippa during Kate and William's. The only took the little ones away.

And William,Zara et al were tiny during Andrew amd Sarah's wedding and they just left them there happily. Harry was there hanging out to

I dont know why they did that to be honest. A lot of people commented on it being a shame. And I guess once Harry did it it Eugenie followed suit cos it worked well. But most of the children at hers were older and more able. It was odd.

I agree about the children being unlikely to go.I could easily see the remaining seats going to the Gloucesters and Kents, especially the Kents as they are closely related to Philip in their own right through Princess Marina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom