Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmm. Hence how Kathleen met her husband. The Queen would have been a little young to be within their sphere but the Duke may have been. Socially.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Joseph Kennedy and the new king, George VI had interactions with each other during the time of JPK's ambassadorship to the UK. The future Queen could have met him then. This was also pre WWII but after the abdication.

All this makes me realize just how long Philip has been "on the books" during all of this history that we see as being long past. He's seen so much over his long 99 years.

Wouldn't Prince George be there? As he is the future King?

Prince George is only a few months away from turning eight. We do not know whether or not it will be decided by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Parents may feel that he is still too young to attend a funeral.

Last edited:
PM Boris Johnson won't attend the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral (not that many of thought he would) It will “allow for as many family members as possible” to attend.

Good...it would wrong in a way as it is now something akin to a normal family funeral and having to lose a family member for someone you probably didn’t know and probably protocol dictates should be there ..well this is the right decision in covid times.

I think I can relate to similar feelings.

I've seen it said on this forum that "he came from a time when men were men, and men were gentlemen." Prince Philip was an energetic former military man who willingly accepted carrying out public duties that were, mostly, unsung and probably not very interesting, without ever seeking greater recognition. In a world where everyone wants their two minutes of fame, or wants a job that's immediately fulfilling, Prince Philip's attitude now seems so rare. It feels like with him, the uncomplaining and resilient character of his generation has passed away. There seems no one to quite replace him.

We wouldn’t want replacement anyway. I read a post on here asking “is my grief werid “ No- I feel the same.

Wouldn't Prince George be there? As he is the future King?

He probably will have many decades before he becomes King. At his age, he might not be brought to the funeral. Maybe none of the great grandchildren will attend, Peter Phillips and his now ex wife had the first great grandchild and she's only 10.

Some footage from around the various royal residences earlier today.

Children would be included in the 30. I can’t see any of the great grandchildren attending they are all still young.

1. Queen
2. POW
3. Camilla
4. Anne
5. Tim
6. Andrew
7 Sarah?
8. Edward
9. Sophie
10. Peter
11. Zara
12. Mike
13. William
14. Catherine
15. Harry
16. Beatrice
17. Eduardo
18. Eugenie
19. Jack
20. Louise
21. James
22. Private Secretary
23. Sarah Chatto
24. Daniel Chatto ?
25. Earl Snowdon
26. Lady Pamela Hicks
27. Countess of Burma.

3 others.

I expect the same - they might setup a room for them in the castle to watch on TV . Like what was done for Diana.
I expect the children of the Duke's sisters, Sophia and Theodora to make up the rest.
There is a possibility that Tim, Jack, Eduardo Daniel and Mike - might be asked to give up their set for the elder family members. Possibly even Louise and James. I just think it is more important for them and possible the god children that he placed through school to be there.
I see that some new outlets are saying the Middletons are coming, as well. Severally doubt it.
Sarah will not be attending.

Last edited:
I would have been totally surprised if Sarah Ferguson attended! I think Louise and James will attend.

I also think that Louise and James will attend the funeral. Prince Philip was their grandfather, and Louise and James must want to go to the funeral.

I expect the same - they might setup a room for them in the castle to watch on TV . Like what was done for Diana.
I expect the children of the Duke's sisters, Sophia and Theodora to make up the rest.
There is a possibility that Tim, Jack, Eduardo Daniel and Mike - might be asked to give up their set for the elder family members. Possibly even Louise and James. I just think it is more important for them and possible the god children that he placed through school to be there.
I see that some new outlets are saying the Middletons are coming, as well. Severally doubt it.

If Tim is asked to step aside, then Camilla, Sophie and Catherine should too as they all entered into the family much later than him.
I think the four of them are all shoo in.

I hope the Queen doesn't arrive at the chapel alone and have to wait for the others and the coffin.

I would I imagine that all of he children and grandchildren will walk behind the coffin but I imagine any partners and perhaps some of the children will arrive at the chapel ahead of the children.

I would ot be surprised to see Sophie actually being with the Queen.

The Queen, the Private Secretary, 7 children and partners. 8 grandchildren and probably 5 partners (I see Autumn being there) and a couple of great grand kids I dont see anyone else there

I would imagine The Duchess of Cornwall accompanying The Queen in the car, as she has done many times. Especially at Sandringham where Camilla also seems to prefer to not walk when they go to church.

Or maybe Lady Pamela Hicks who has been her Lady in Waiting.

It would be nice to see Prince Philips other living First Cousin Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark attend too and maybe ”represent” the Royal House of wich Prince Philip was born into... But maybe that won’t be possible because of the quarantine rules...

Last edited:

Why would only the MALE spouses be asked to give up their seat for elder family members? Why not the FEMALE spouses as well? Tim and Daniel have both been married into the family longer than Sophie, Camilla or Kate.

I can't see the Middletons or Sarah in attendance.

And, I really don't understand this "kids under 10 are too young to attend a funeral in person." That leaves me scratching my head in disbelief because most kids who are George/Mia's age and even Charlotte's age (nearly 6) are more than capable of understanding death and will have had a relationship with their great-grandfather for them to want to be in attendance. My youngest niece was around Charlotte's age when my grandmother died and she certainly had a special bond with her great-grandma and went to the funeral.

No one questioned a seven year old Princess Eugenie being involved in the absolute circus that was Princess Diana's funeral. Or 3 year old Princess Charlotte being at Prince Harry's wedding. The kids are fine.

I am seriously going to put money on the oldest of them being there. At a private service with 30 members of their family.

Normal families bring their babies to funerals. I went to my first wake at 6.

Why would only the MALE spouses be asked to give up their seat for elder family members? Why not the FEMALE spouses as well? Tim and Daniel have both been married into the family longer than Sophie, Camilla or Kate.

I can't see the Middletons or Sarah in attendance.

And, I really don't understand this "kids under 10 are too young to attend a funeral in person." That leaves me scratching my head in disbelief because most kids who are George/Mia's age and even Charlotte's age (nearly 6) are more than capable of understanding death and will have had a relationship with their great-grandfather for them to want to be in attendance. My youngest niece was around Charlotte's age when my grandmother died and she certainly had a special bond with her great-grandma and went to the funeral.

Thank you. Seriously thank you. And one of the best things about family funerals with older people is to have the next generation there. It provides such a sense of completeness and the circle of life.

This is a celebration of a life well lived. Lived for one his family and 2 his country. His great grandchildren are his family.

I would imagine The Duchess of Cornwall accompanying The Queen in the car, as she has done many times. Especially at Sandringham where Camilla also seems to prefer to not walk when they go to church.

Or maybe Lady Pamela Hicks who has been her Lady in Waiting.

It would be nice to see Prince Philips other living First Cousin Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark attend too and maybe ”represent” the Royal House of wich Prince Philip was born into... But maybe that won’t be possible because of the quarantine rules...

She is closer to Sophie.

Last edited by a moderator:
A person at George and Charlotte's age already understands death. Probably William and Catherine have already told their children that Prince Philip has passed away.
I think George can go to the funeral, but I don't know what the Dukes of Cambridge have decided.

Tim, Mike and Daniel has been there for several years so it would be difficult to motivate to ask them ”to graciously step aside” while not asking Camilla, Sophie and Kate to do the same...

Jack and Edo has been there for such a short time, so i wouldn’t be surprised if they won’t attend.

PM Boris Johnson won't attend the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral (not that many of thought he would) It will “allow for as many family members as possible” to attend.

He won't be missed.

I do feel so sorry for everyone in this situation. There've been two funerals this year which I'd probably have gone to in normal times, but I wasn't close enough to make the 30. Funerals are upsetting enough without having all this worry about whether to choose Auntie X or Cousin Y, and who's going to sit next to whom without breaking social distancing rules, and will anyone coming from abroad need to self-isolate.

Tim, Mike and Daniel has been there for several years so it would be difficult to motivate to ask them ”to graciously step aside” while not asking Camilla, Sophie and Kate to do the same...

Jack and Edo has been there for such a short time, so i wouldn’t be surprised if they won’t attend.

My mother thinks they wont be there and in fairness someone has to look after August...presuming they dont have staff.

If this was a regular funeral - the great grand children would have - but the cut of size makes it difficult if not impossible.
I mean no disrespect - I just think that Tim would be the first to put his hand up to allow family from the Duke's side of the family to attend. It must be remember that 2 of these children were somewhat raised by Philip, he paid for their schooling and walked one down the aisle. I don't know the real personal relationship in the family- but essentially anyone might give up their seat to allow someone who was closer to Philip or simply needs the funeral more to attend.
I expected Princess Alexander or the Princess Royal to be with the Queen

Last edited:
A person at George and Charlotte's age already understands death. Probably William and Catherine have already told their children that Prince Philip has passed away.
I think George can go to the funeral, but I don't know what the Dukes of Cambridge have decided.

Well seeing as they seem very well aware that their own fathers mother has passed away and have an appreciation of how people live in memories...I think they are fine.

As someone who works day in, day out with children.my blood is beginning to boil a bit at discussing them like mannequins. They often understand things much better than adults. And have a remarkably pragmatic view of death.

Again Diana was 36 years old. Killed in a tragedy. Her twelve year old son walked behind her coffin. Her 7 and 9 year old nieces went to the funeral. A massive circus of a funeral. Philip is 99 years old and died after a life lived surrounded by love. His funeral will be private with just family. Please. The kids will be alright.

Last edited:
She is closer to Sophie.

We shall see... The Queen usually travels with a Lady in Waiting when no family member accompanies her. And some of them has been there since early 1960:s so she might prefer any of them to keep her conpany instead.

It was pre-recorded as is the norm for such things. Likely it was pre-recorded at a point when they were doing an interview for something else and they changed into black and carried on to ensure there was something "ready". It may seem morbid but it is not at all uncommon for the big broadcasters here to have pre-prepared obituaries ready to go "just in case" and Philip's age will have meant his was well prepared (without meaning any disrespect).

If its any help Chris Ship ITVs Royal Correspondent has shared a clip of Anne from one such interview when it is clear she is just like her father is having no worries telling him to move on

Clearly at the time Anne felt quite comfortable to do this chat about her father, I'm sure she saw it as her duty to him.

I imagine the media in many democratically free countries do this for lot of former and current high-ranking officials and have stuff already prepared so in the event they can quickly put something on without having to wait:

The U.S media and press has prepared and taped obituaries for the current president and former first lady as well as one for each living former president and first ladies . And also they have prepared mater for other high ranking former and living politicians including House Speaker and Senate Leaders. I think this bacsme common place after JFK was assassinated

Last edited:
We shall see... The Queen usually travels with a Lady in Waiting when no family member accompanies her. And some of them has been there since early 1960:s so she might prefer any of them to keep her conpany instead.

A previous poster suggested it could be Lady Pamela Hicks which I think is a good suggestion. At 91 she couldn’t do the walk to the chapel with the others. I can’t see her not attending the service.

Camilla is officially the second lady of the land so it would make sense for her to accompany the Queen.

Sophie often goes with her. I dont think presidence matters but maybe it does. It hardly matters.

A previous poster suggested it could be Lady Pamela Hicks which I think is a good suggestion. At 91 she couldn’t do the walk to the chapel with the others. I can’t see her not attending the service.

Covid. For both of them.

It would make sense. Especially as Lady Pamela was a Lady in Waiting to her for several years... She was even with them in Africa when the accession happened.

And we know through India Hicks ig-account that Lady Pamela is vaccinated too.

For all we know, the Queen may choose to stand/travel alone at a time like this. Usually in these kind of situations, it was Philip that was always right by her side through everything and to appear alone would bring that truth home that she no longer has him by her side but he'll always still be with her.

Just an odd thought of mine. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom