Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the hell would Charles be happy today? Even if those idiots are the ones thinking it's desperate to be King and therefore hoping for his mother's death he doesn't get an "upgrade" when his father dies.

It’s his and Camilla’s anniversary ...

It doesn’t take much for people to hate on Charles....I blocked this person; I have no patience or tolerance for this kind of thing.

I saw multiple tweets about Diana laughing, one of which she Em’s laughing as Philip tried to get into heaven. Some people are twisted.????

the royal messages of support have not taken long:

Spain's king and queen telegrammed "Dear Aunt Lilibet" to mourn the passing of "Dear Uncle Philip". The telegram from King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain was particularly poignant, sending "all our love and affection" to Aunt Lilibet (the affectionate name used by the duke for his wife) and Dear Uncle Philip. "We shall never forget the moments that we shared with him and the legacy of service and dedication to the Crown and the United Kingdom by your side," they told the Queen.

Sweden's King Carl Gustaf was also moved, saying the duke had been "a great friend of our family for many years, a relation we have deeply valued".

The Dutch royal family said they remembered Prince Philip with great respect, adding: "He dedicated his long life to the service of the British people and to his many duties and responsibilities. His lively personality made an indelible impression."

Belgium's King Philippe said he and Queen Mathilde would "always cherish the memories of our warm encounters".

source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56687736

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s his and Camilla’s anniversary ...

It doesn’t take much for people to hate on Charles....I blocked this person; I have no patience or tolerance for this kind of thing.

I saw multiple tweets about Diana laughing, one of which she Em’s laughing as Philip tried to get into heaven. Some people are twisted.????

Oh, how horrible. I'm very, very glad that I didn't see these particular tweets. I was just thinking how much significance this date has for Charles and how it must be so bittersweet and now will be so even more. April 9 is not only he and Camilla's wedding anniversary but is the date on which his beloved grandmother's funeral took place and now the date on which his father passed away.

In think the family are incredibly lucky. Before Monday it was 15 people.

But he and his family were lucky. What a life to see 6 grandchildren married and to live to see 10 great grandchildren. Two now to be named after him.

For a man from a traumatic and fragmented background to have created and see an United and by and large stable family is amazing.

I didn’t realize that. They are fortunate in that regard. That’s twice the number of people who can attend.

That is a good point. I thought it notable that Philip had such a difficult, unstable upbringing and married a woman whose family was very close and stable. And has had a large, loving stable family of his own.

I'm shocked and saddened at the news of Prince Philip's death. He was a resolute man who remained faithful to his wife, family, and country in the midst of a turbulent world. I respect him for that despite his flaws. My deepest condolences to HM The Queen and her family in this troubled times. May the Duke of Edinburgh rest in peace.

That’s beautiful. I kinda think going home is like getting on a boat. I just think about reunion and peace.

I had the same reaction as when my grandfather died- similar- not as severe. That same stomach dropping and tears I never wanted to feel again. He’s always been there. I’ll adjust. He’s probably up there booming “ get it together.”

I can absolutely picture Philip saying that. Makes me smile to think about.

I don’t even count Gayle King - she’s an embarrassment. The only reporters who count, as far as I’m concerned, are those from the U.K.

Those are lovely comments from President Biden

Yes- President Biden’s statement was lovely. He’s unfortunately got lots of experience with loss.

Ugh- on Gayle. In light of her recent contributions to the family drama....this is particularly distasteful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Really so many of the statements from other royal houses and world leaders have been so beautifully done and so personal and heartfelt without going overboard into the emotions that the late DoE would have found to be too over the top. I've been so heartened and impressed at how well done they've all been and how not a single one has sounded like a canned, generic, press-release type statement but how they've all been so beautifully personal. He clearly made a large and lasting impact on all of them.

You said that really well. All of the statements have felt personal and heartfelt in summing up a long and extraordinary life. But not over the top either.

And I’m pleased that it’s far beyond- they are saddened that the husband of HM passed.

He lived a life filled with acts we can all admire...if nothing else simply that he did not "retire" until his 90's! But I particularly remember him walking behind the casket of Princess Diana in her funeral cortege. I don't know whether or not his "position" required him to do so, but it seemed to me the act of a great gentleman.

Supposedly William said that the only way he'd walk behind Diana's coffin was if Phillip walked with him.

Oh, how horrible. I'm very, very glad that I didn't see these particular tweets. I was just thinking how much significance this date has for Charles and how it must be so bittersweet and now will be so even more. April 9 is not only he and Camilla's wedding anniversary but is the date on which his beloved grandmother's funeral took place and now the date on which his father passed away.

Yes, truly...once you see them, they can’t be unseen. I try and focus on the positive ones...

It’s terrible for Charles - I remembered earlier that it was his anniversary, and felt a real pang for him. He’ll never be able to truly celebrate that day again. I read that William and Kate’s anniversary is tomorrow...

Yes, truly...once you see them, they can’t be unseen. I try and focus on the positive ones...

It’s terrible for Charles - I remembered earlier that it was his anniversary, and felt a real pang for him. He’ll never be able to truly celebrate that day again. I read that William and Kate’s anniversary is tomorrow...

No, their anniversary is on April 29. Louis' birthday is on April 23.

Yes- President Biden’s statement was lovely. He’s unfortunately got lots of experience with loss.

Ugh- on Gayle. In light of her recent contributions to the family drama....this is particularly distasteful.

He does....?.

If you have to ask what the cause of death of a 99 year old is, don’t bother opening your mouth.

Another beautiful and personal statement, this one from former President Barack Obama...

When we first met His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, he and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had already been on the world stage for more than half a century — welcoming leaders like Churchill and Kennedy; Mandela and Gorbachev. As two Americans unaccustomed to palaces and pomp, we didn’t know what to expect.

We shouldn’t have worried. The Queen and Prince Philip immediately put us at ease with their grace and generosity, turning a ceremonial occasion into something far more natural, even comfortable. Prince Philip in particular was kind and warm, with a sharp wit and unfailing good humor. It was our first introduction to the man behind the title, and in the years since, our admiration for him has only grown. We will miss him dearly.

Like the Queen, Prince Philip saw world wars and economic crises come and go. The radio gave way to the television, and the television to the internet. And through it all, he helped provide steady leadership and guiding wisdom. It has long been said that the United States and Great Britain have a special relationship — one that has been maintained and strengthened not just by presidents and prime ministers but by the Royal Family that has outlasted them all.

At the Queen’s side or trailing the customary two steps behind, Prince Philip showed the world what it meant to be a supportive husband to a powerful woman. Yet he also found a way to lead without demanding the spotlight — serving in combat in World War II, commanding a frigate in the Royal Navy, and tirelessly touring the world to champion British industry and excellence. Through his extraordinary example, he proved that true partnership has room for both ambition and selflessness — all in service of something greater.

As the world mourns his loss, we send our warmest wishes and deepest sympathies to the Queen, their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren; and everyone who knew and loved this remarkable man.

Wow. Lovely statement by Obama. Very personal. Obama has always been a classy man.

I liked that he made a point of saying how Philip put them at ease, made them feel comfortable.

He does....?.

If you have to ask what the cause of death of a 99 year old is, don’t bother opening your mouth.

And she knew he'd been ill because she had to put out that statement saying that the interview would have been delayed if PP had died right before it was due to air. :rolleyes:

the royal messages of support have not taken long:

Spain's king and queen telegrammed "Dear Aunt Lilibet" to mourn the passing of "Dear Uncle Philip". The telegram from King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain was particularly poignant, sending "all our love and affection" to Aunt Lilibet (the affectionate name used by the duke for his wife) and Dear Uncle Philip. "We shall never forget the moments that we shared with him and the legacy of service and dedication to the Crown and the United Kingdom by your side," they told the Queen.

Sweden's King Carl Gustaf was also moved, saying the duke had been "a great friend of our family for many years, a relation we have deeply valued".

The Dutch royal family said they remembered Prince Philip with great respect, adding: "He dedicated his long life to the service of the British people and to his many duties and responsibilities. His lively personality made an indelible impression."

Belgium's King Philippe said he and Queen Mathilde would "always cherish the memories of our warm encounters".

source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56687736

A summary of reactions of Commonwealth heads of government from the same BBC article above.

Australian PM Scott Morrison said in a statement: "He embodied a generation that we will never see again."

He praised the duke as the patron of dozens of organisations in Australia.

The praise from New Zealand's PM Jacinda Ardern was similar, saying that "thousands of young people have completed life-changing challenges" through the duke's Hillary Award.

Canada's PM Justin Trudeau said the duke had "contributed so much to the social fabric of our country - and the world".

He added: "Prince Philip was a man of great purpose and conviction, who was motivated by a sense of duty to others. We will fondly remember him as a pillar in the life of our Queen."

Pakistan's PM Imran Khan said Philip had been a "wise leader" and his "role in promoting Pakistan-UK relations will always be remembered".

And Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was another to praise a lifetime of dedication to "many community service initiatives".

Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta said the duke was a "towering symbol of family values and the unity of the British people as well as the entire global community" - a man who had worked for the "peaceful co-existence of the human race".

I would say "may his memory be a blessing", but I think it already is.

Another beautiful and personal statement, this one from former President Barack Obama...

When we first met His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, he and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had already been on the world stage for more than half a century — welcoming leaders like Churchill and Kennedy; Mandela and Gorbachev. As two Americans unaccustomed to palaces and pomp, we didn’t know what to expect.

We shouldn’t have worried. The Queen and Prince Philip immediately put us at ease with their grace and generosity, turning a ceremonial occasion into something far more natural, even comfortable. Prince Philip in particular was kind and warm, with a sharp wit and unfailing good humor. It was our first introduction to the man behind the title, and in the years since, our admiration for him has only grown. We will miss him dearly.

Like the Queen, Prince Philip saw world wars and economic crises come and go. The radio gave way to the television, and the television to the internet. And through it all, he helped provide steady leadership and guiding wisdom. It has long been said that the United States and Great Britain have a special relationship — one that has been maintained and strengthened not just by presidents and prime ministers but by the Royal Family that has outlasted them all.

At the Queen’s side or trailing the customary two steps behind, Prince Philip showed the world what it meant to be a supportive husband to a powerful woman. Yet he also found a way to lead without demanding the spotlight — serving in combat in World War II, commanding a frigate in the Royal Navy, and tirelessly touring the world to champion British industry and excellence. Through his extraordinary example, he proved that true partnership has room for both ambition and selflessness — all in service of something greater.

As the world mourns his loss, we send our warmest wishes and deepest sympathies to the Queen, their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren; and everyone who knew and loved this remarkable man.

To me this is by far the most touching tribute I've seen for The Duke of Edinburgh, to the point where I feel thankful to President Obama for perfectly summing up everything I admired about Prince Philip, not to mention The Queen, in such an eloquent way.

I remember seeing the pictures of the Obamas with The Queen and DoE during the State Visit to the UK, and thinking how they really seemed to have taken to each other. Prince Philip, as usual, was taking everything in his stride, The Queen clearly enjoyed the company of both Obamas, and The President and First Lady smiled from ear to ear the whenever they were with the royal couple.

My thoughts are with The Queen and the rest of the family at what must be a very hard time for them all.

It's going to be so tricky for the funeral. It's going to have to be very carefully organised so that it doesn't cause offence to the country, I couldn't attend my brother-in-law's funeral earlier in the year because of restrictions.

So whilst the number of people working at the funeral don't count toward the 30, I imagine we will perhaps see just the Archbishop of Canterbury officiating without the usual extra clergy. No choir I assume as singing is a no-no atm.
I expect military pallbearers, but not an overly large number of people around.

The Quire at St George's seats 52 - that's not going to allow 30 people to socially distance properly. I wonder if they'll host the whole funeral in the larger main body of the church to allow distancing (especially as it will presumably be filmed) rather than have some family in the Quire and some further back.

30 people is going to be very tight.

The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Anne, Tim, Peter, Zara, Mike, Andrew, Beatrice, Eduardo, Eugenie, Jack, Edward, Sophie, Louise and James I think are the certain attendees.

That only leaves 11 spaces to be divided between the possibles; Harry, any of the great-grandchildren considered old enough, Earl Snowden, Sarah Chatto, Princess Alexandra, the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester, the Mountbattens (I imagine if Pamela Hicks is well enough and not shielding she will be there). I think Penny Brabourne would have been an absolute certainty had it been a bigger event. Plus any of his nieces and nephews who live in the UK that he was close too.

There will be no politicians, which I think would please him. Likely no representatives from any of his charities or any of his loyal staff, which wouldn't be so pleasing.

Sad news. What an amazing life. Deepest condolences to the Queen, royal family, friends, and British people. May Prince Philip RIP.

I've just read that gun salutes will be fired in several locations tomorrow. However, what struck me, is that the guns used at Woolwich Barracks will be the same ones used for the wedding of the late DoE and HM in 1947 and for the coronation in 1953.

That's quite a lovely and understated but entirely appropriate tribute.

I think all of them can understand what Prince Philip gave up to marry Princess and future Queen Elizabeth, and I suspect they really did admire him. He made his “job” as consort his own, much like Charles made the Prince of Wales “job” his own. I read above that The Queen would be the one to name a new DoE. Personally, I can’t imagine anyone else as DoE, and I kind of hope there isn’t a new DoE (especially as this title was created for Philip).
That's not how it works; this is a hereditary title.

I'm not sure now exactly which reporter or historian I read it from this morning but I did read that because of the way the LP was written in 1947 for him to become DoE, the title passed to Charles immediately upon his death. However, once Charles becomes king the title will merge with the Crown and then be recreated for Edward in line with the wishes of HM and the late DoE.
There is nothing special about how it is written; it is traditional in being inherited in male-line (male heirs of the body lawfully begotten) - same like the recent ones created for William and Harry.

As the eldest son, Prince Charles is now the Duke of Edinburgh. Once Charles accedes to the throne and the title merges with the Crown, Prince Edward will be created the next Duke of Edinburgh.

Exactly. There is a thread dedicated to this issue for those unclear about how this works; and discussion is taking place in this thread.

Charles is not the DoE has is the PoW ..... this is such sad sad news I am overwhelmed and as well send my deepest sympathy and thanks for this life that was service
Charles having other titles is irrelevant. He IS the new Duke of Edinburgh (and his wife is the new Duchess of Edinburgh - a title previously held by the queen). Charles is now the Second Duke of Edinburgh of the Third Creation. Edward will be the First Duke of Edinburgh of the Fourth Creation.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The statements from The President of The United States & President Obama are very touching. Particularly President Obama's.

I found this section from the Canadian PM's statement very moving:

"He will be fondly remembered as a constant in the life of our Queen – a lifelong companion who was always at her side offering unfailing support as she carried out her duties."

The "our Queen" bit is lovely. That's how many of us will feel. That he supported "our" Queen & as a consequence is highly honoured & will be much missed.

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/statements...-prime-minister-canada-passing-duke-edinburgh

The bells have begun to toll 99 times at Westminster Abbey.

I would understand if Zara chose not to attend, given her very recent delivery and newborn at home. However, she is will likely want to be there to support her grandmother.

I also would not be surprised if Autumn attended. My husband has a good relationship with his ex-wife, and our entire family attended her mother's funeral.

Even with restrictions going up to 30, it's going to be a very difficult task to decide who may attend. Something that many families have had to endure this past year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom