Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am deeply saddened by today's news and my immediate thoughts are for the Queen - the death of her husband of over 73 years. It's quite unimaginable.

There is some small comfort to know that Prince Philip was able to spend the last weeks of his life with the Queen at Windsor Castle after his long stay in hospital.

It is the end of a very long era - for me like the death of a grandfather almost - and brings to mind that even the longest and most productive, dutiful and energetic of lives will end.

"Dear Aunt Lilibet,

We have been deeply saddened by the news of the passing of our dear Uncle Philip.

In these painful moments, we want to convey our deepest condolences on behalf of the Government and the Spanish people, as well as all our closeness and support.

We will never forget the occasions we were able to share with him and the legacy of service and dedication to the Crown and the United Kingdom that he has always played by your side.

Our thoughts and prayers are with your majesty and with the entire family.

With all our love and affection, Felipe and Letizia."

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...ue-edimburgo-reyes-telegrama-lilibet_3027704/

"Lilibet" is not King Felipe's aunt. He is the Queen's third cousin once removed .

However, in Hispanic countries, it is not uncommon for removed cousins to refer incorrectly to older cousins (of a different generation) as aunt/uncle.

"Lilibet" is not King Felipe's aunt. He is the Queen's third cousin once removed .

However, in Hispanic countries, it is not uncommon for removed cousins to refer incorrectly to older cousins (of a different generation) as aunt/uncle.

Thank you for that information. I know monarchs did at one time refer to each formally as "cousin".

It is a lovely statement.

We do the same in Sweden. It's not uncommon, although getting less frequent since we're all on a first name basis, to call both remote older relatives and those older than yourself in general auntie (tant) or uncle (farbror).

Last edited:
The younger royal generations calls the older generation aunt/uncle.

We saw It last year in the birthday greeting video foreign Royals recorder for Queen Margrethe after the pandemic cancelled her birthday.

I will remember him as a great support to the Queen and for being funny as hell.

RIP :thistle:

Rest in Peace, Dear Duke of Edinburgh! What a great loss for the royal family and the world.

Thats a lovely message from Felipe and Letizia

Yes it really was a wonderful message from the Spanish king and queen.

The Irish President has issued to following statement.

"I have learnt with great sadness of the death of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
On behalf of the people of Ireland, I wish to convey my condolences to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her children, her extended family and the people of the United Kingdom.
For over sixty years, and as husband to Britain’s longest serving monarch, Prince Philip served the British people with an unfailing commitment and devotion to duty."

The Taoiseach Micheál Martin
Saddened to hear of the death of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Queen Elizabeth and the people of the United Kingdom at this time.
Ireland remembers the great success of the State Visit to Ireland in 2011 by Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, a historic and important occasion which was a key moment in our bilateral relations.

This was followed in 2014 by the State Visit to the United Kingdom by the President and Mrs Higgins, when they were hosted so generously in Windsor Castle and across Britain

The commitment of the Royal Family to Irish-British relations is an important part of the work we do together - and today we pay tribute to Prince Philip's own important contribution."

The Church of Ireland Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland said that his prayers will be with the Queen and Royal Family in the days to come.

Last edited:
The Archbishop of Canterbury has released a statement on the death of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
https://www.archbishopofcanterbury....rchbishop-canterbury-death-hrh-duke-edinburgh

The House of Commons (in the UK) will be recall for a sitting at 2.30pm on Monday 12 April in paying tributes to HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. The House of Commons was planned to be recalled on the 13th April after Easter recess.
UK House of Commons @HouseofCommons
Replying to @HouseofCommons
The House of Commons will sit at 2.30pm on Monday 12 April for tributes to HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
10:56 PM · Apr 9, 2021·Twitter Web App​

BBC One did a moving announcement on the death of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. The National Anthem was played with a picture of Prince Philip after the announcement.

Scott Bryan has tweeted out some updates on changes in TV and Radio broadcasting schedules

Apparently, according to Guido Fawkes, Cabinet Office ask the public not to lay flowers at Royal Residences.
Guido Fawkes @GuidoFawkes
NEW: Cabinet Office ask public NOT to lay flowers at royal residences due to the pandemic
12:09 AM · Apr 10, 2021·TweetDeck​

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyiagjAXAAAUSqB?format=png&name=large

Last edited:
I knew this day would come, but I still can't believe it is here.

Can't imagine what HM is going through at this time. My condolences to HM and the whole family.

RIP Prince Philip.

"Dear Aunt Lilibet,

We have been deeply saddened by the news of the passing of our dear Uncle Philip.

In these painful moments, we want to convey our deepest condolences on behalf of the Government and the Spanish people, as well as all our closeness and support.

We will never forget the occasions we were able to share with him and the legacy of service and dedication to the Crown and the United Kingdom that he has always played by your side.

Our thoughts and prayers are with your majesty and with the entire family.

With all our love and affection, Felipe and Letizia."

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...ue-edimburgo-reyes-telegrama-lilibet_3027704/

What a lovely, personal message:)

It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.

The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.

Further announcements will be made in due course.

RIP Prince Philip?

Would the 8 day morning period for the queen suggest that the funeral will be on the 8th day? So, probably next Friday or Saturday?

, I was just rewatching the first two season of The Crown, so sad

Last edited:
I think they will have a very small funeral and then a larger memorial when more restrictions are lifted. I would not be surprised if they go for HM, his children and grandchildren and maybe A representative or two from Philip’s side.

That is very much what I suspect will happen. HRH will have a funeral and internment in the strictest privacy. After Covid restrictions are lifted, there will be a larger memorial at St. George's Chapel, Westminister Abbey, or St. Paul's Cathedral. Maybe representatives of the various Royal houses will be attendance.

What a lovely, personal message:)

I don't know why I am surprised and touched that the Spanish king and queen refer to HMQ as "Aunt Lilibet" but I am.

I wonder if all the other European Royals do the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the 8 day morning period for the queen suggest that the funeral will be on the 8th day? So, probably next Friday or Saturday?

I would assume so but nothing has been confirmed.

That is very much what I suspect will happen. HRH will have a funeral and internment in the strictest privacy. After Covid restrictions are lifted, there will be a larger memorial at St. George's Chapel, Westminister Abbey, or St. Paul's Cathedral. Maybe representatives of the various Royal houses will be attendance.

I know that in the time of COVID this makes complete and total sense. However, given that the late DoE made it clear for a number of years that he did not enjoy a fuss being made over him and did not wish for a full state funeral upon his passing, I think this arrangement is a fabulous way to handle it all and would certainly have been given his seal of approval even if we weren't in the midst of a pandemic. This seems like quite a nice compromise and certainly seems to cover both the need of the family and the need for recognition on a wider basis given his position.

I know that in the time of COVID this makes complete and total sense. However, given that the late DoE made it clear for a number of years that he did not enjoy a fuss being made over him and did not wish for a full state funeral upon his passing, I think this arrangement is a fabulous way to handle it all and would certainly have been given his seal of approval even if we weren't in the midst of a pandemic. This seems like quite a nice compromise and certainly seems to cover both the need of the family and the need for recognition on a wider basis given his position.

In think the family are incredibly lucky. Before Monday it was 15 people.

But he and his family were lucky. What a life to see 6 grandchildren married and to live to see 10 great grandchildren. Two now to be named after him.

For a man from a traumatic and fragmented background to have created and see an United and by and large stable family is amazing.

Last edited:
People have been laying tributes at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle - it's been requested that people stay away because of social distancing, but this is a very difficult day.

I would think there'll be a memorial service at Westminster Abbey when large gatherings can be held again. A lot of people have been streaming funerals on Zoom for those unable to attend due to the maximum of 30 rule and or travel restrictions, but I sort of hope that this won't be televised - filming a big public funeral is one thing, but filming a small private funeral would seem very intrusive. I wouldn't like to think of the Queen feeling that she's on show and can't let herself break down in tears if that's what she needs to do.

I am happy to see that Princess Beatrice was able to have her grandfather attending her wedding even if it may not have been the wedding she wished for at first.

Yes, and I think that Zara and Mike are happy their little boy was born a bit earlier too.

I wonder if we will see Prince Charles address the nation on TV the way he did after his grandmother and aunt passed away.

My goodness, the difference in how this is being reported...it's enough to make your head spin. While some TV presenters are almost in tears while sharing the news, others are just proving themselves to be unthinking and inconsiderate asses.

I believe it was Rhiannon Mills who seemed teary and emotional while sharing the news. However, Gayle King asked in front of the entire world if his passing was brought about by natural causes. Good heavens. Given her involvement in matters over the last couple of months she'd probably have done well to simply report the fact that a statement was issued from the palace, etc. and leave it at that and I understand that she's receiving quite the bashing on social media for her question.

It's really quite mind-boggling to see the differences in the way this is being handled by different reporters, programs, and channels.

Woke up about an hour ago and popped onto FB, saw a post from a friend and couldn't believe the news. Such a sad day for the Queen and her family.

The tributes pouring in from around the world are what caused me to cry. Such an iconic man who touched so many people. RIP, Philip.

I have often thought of the Queen dying and reuniting with her father. Now she can anticipate her reunion with Phillip.

The second Prince Consort after Albert.He will be followed by 3 Generations of Queens Consort
He did well He was a real Warrior since Childhood.

Last edited:
My goodness, the difference in how this is being reported...it's enough to make your head spin. While some TV presenters are almost in tears while sharing the news, others are just proving themselves to be unthinking and inconsiderate asses.

I believe it was Rhiannon Mills who seemed teary and emotional while sharing the news. However, Gayle King asked in front of the entire world if his passing was brought about by natural causes. Good heavens. Given her involvement in matters over the last couple of months she'd probably have done well to simply report the fact that a statement was issued from the palace, etc. and leave it at that and I understand that she's receiving quite the bashing on social media for her question.

It's really quite mind-boggling to see the differences in the way this is being handled by different reporters, programs, and channels.

Well, Rhiannon Mills is a Brit and Gayle King is an American, so I can understand some of the differences in reaction; but King has also proven what a classless hack she is in recent years so are any of us really surprised she would be so tacky as to ask something about the cause of death?

Well, Rhiannon Mills is a Brit and Gayle King is an American, so I can understand some of the differences in reaction; but King has also proven what a classless hack she is in recent years so are any of us really surprised she would be so tacky as to ask something about the cause of death?

Agreed. And I do realize the differences between the reporters countries of origin, etc. and that that will certainly factor into the response. But, as an American, I've seen a lot of coverage this morning and so many of them are doing it beautifully, tastefully, and respectfully. Then you have this nonsense from Gayle King and I just don't think my eyes could possibly have rolled harder. I mean, really? What a tasteless thing to ask, particularly in light of the fact that the announcement is only a couple of hours old. And frankly, what a stupid question. The man was 99, just spent a month in hospital, and has been in failing health for some time. Do we really believe he crashed his bike in a ride around Windsor? For heavens sake...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom