Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Nr. of 30 fix. I guess the Funeral will be at St. Georg's Chapel and there it would surely be possible to allow more people also with Covid-restrictions such as seating apart and wearing maks.

If only 30 people are allowed I wonder if it will be a public funeral at all. If anyone deserved a public funeral it's him.

Is the Nr. of 30 fix. I guess the Funeral will be at St. Georg's Chapel and there it would surely be possible to allow more people also with Covid-restrictions such as seating apart and wearing maks.

Would it be a good look? and I would imagine it would be at the chapel where Beatrice married.

Last edited:
It's been said that when a man dies, he holds in his hands only that which he has given away. Over his 99 years on our Earth, Philip not only gave his all to his wife and his family but to his nation and beyond that to the world. His hands were full to capacity.

The light shines a little dimmer in this world today as we mourn the passing of a great man and humanitarian. He will never be forgotten.
I needed that reminder. Thank you. We can smile because he happened not weep because it’s over. It never is anyway, and I am sure HM knows that love never dies.

Just a quick list of 30:

1. The Queen
2. Charles
3. William
4. George ???
5. Harry ???
6. Andrew
7. Beatrice
8. Eugenie
9. Edward
10. Louise
11. James
12. Anne
13. Peter
14. Savannah
15. Isla
16. Zara
17. Mia ???
18. The Duke of Kent (his mother was Philip's first cousin)
19. Prince Michael of Kent
20. Princess Alexandra
21. Lady Pamela Mountbatten - maternal first cousin
22. The Countess of Burma

I haven't included Charlotte as she may be regarded as too young.

I haven't included any partners but if the partners are included then that would be another 11 and would exceed the 30 allowed.

The ??? beside Harry are due to the quarantine restrictions for someone coming from the US.

I think they will have the barest minimum next week and a full state memorial service when covid is over.

I highly doubt that his children in law won't be there. Or indeed that Sarah and David won't be there.

If only 30 people are allowed I wonder if it will be a public funeral at all. If anyone deserved a public funeral it's him.

I suspect it will be a quiet funeral with a large memorial service next year.

I was also think St George's Chapel Windsor as its so private and possibly a public memorial service at a later date?

Saw a little on Twitter and it was rude, vile and disrespectful. It broke my heart that a man who has literally spent his life in service to King and country and 74+years as consort and, by her own words, quite simply the strength and stay of his wife Elizabeth, our Queen.

Regardless of his age I feel she must be breaking her heart at his loss and the knowledge she will truly be alone for the rest of her life. His children and grandchildren must be devastated because there have always been "their parents and grandparents" and now there is just Mama or Granny and a pandemic that will make it differcult to even see him off in the style he wanted, let alone the style the Country and Commonwealth needed.

Last edited:
Meghan wont be there and maybe not Harry too. I would say Autumn would be. Along with at least 3 and maybe five of the great grandchildren.

Lady Pamela Hicks if she herself is well enough. And probably David and Sarah with Sarah's husband and probably Serena.

Lady Pamela Hicks is indeed a likely representative of the Mountbatten-Windsors. I just realized that they (hopefully) will need a few camera(wo)men so the world can join the family from a distance; so, if the limit remains 30; it seems unlikely that David and Sarah can join. If the number is increased, they are indeed likely to join their aunt and cousins. That probably also applies to the queen's cousins; who were both family and his colleagues for decades.

Terrible news - devastated for the Queen ahead of what should have been a few months of celebration for them (her 95th and his 100th)

He has served the UK and Commonwealth for many decades and had a great sense of duty and loyalty to the Crown - the like of which we will never see the again.

His years in the Navy and his record during WW2 should also be highlighted at this time and not forgotten.

This is especially hard at this time during Covid - he can't have the funeral he deserved and the public will not have the same opportunity they would have to show their gratitude for his service and to their support to the Queen.

I remember when I completed my own Duke of Edinburgh and I met him during my Gold presentation - he had an amazing ability to put us all at ease, crack jokes and show interest in the activities we had completed
You are a really lucky person to have met him. I would have been SO nervous- he would have needed all his jokes!
I don’t mean to be rude but did he have airs and graces? I expect formal- but sometimes I look, and even though people tell me their nice, you expect airs and graces

Last edited:
Twitter was gross...I blocked all reference to the Philip trends, blocked a bunch Of classless losers and just went on accounts of several royal reporters..

Oh now my heart is broken all over again..Daddy ?????

It is with deep sorrow to announce one's beloved father, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, passed away peacefully this morning aged 99.

Rest in peace, daddy x

yep I agree - I would not be surprised if only HM The Queen and the children attend the funeral, and then there is a large memorial later. I thought that he might like to be buried at sea.

I am reminded about something the Duke said at a cricket game when the prize player was bowled at in the 90's and never got to the century. He stood, along with the rest of Lords and said to the people around him as he sat, "People make a big deal about centuries - but a well played innings is more worthy."

He wrote this on the visitors book of the Jan Smuts' museum in South Africa. "I am a mere traveler on God's Ship, he pulled the tides that I sail on and will one day pull me ashore."

The titles can be -and are- discussed here.

Last edited:
The Prime Minister and Speaker of the House of Commons have release statements on death of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

PARLY @PARLYapp
Replying to @PARLYapp
Mr Speaker has issued a statement on the death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. It pays tribute to “his loyal devotion to service and his leadership of hundreds of ideals and causes close to his heart”.
9:41 PM · Apr 9, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyh4uh_WEAMaPbv?format=jpg&name=900x900

PARLY @PARLYapp
Replying to @PARLYapp
The prime minister has issued a statement on the death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh.
9:42 PM · Apr 9, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyh5BcQW8AAv7Is?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyh5BcPXIAE_rWQ?format=jpg&name=medium

These are very nice, thoughtful statements from the government. Deservedly so.

I dont even know if all the children and grandchildren with partners will be able to go. How many people are allowed at funerals?

Just checked and it is 30.

Eight grandchildren...4 partners (Meghan wont be there), 4 children and three partners and the Queen. That is 20. And perhaps.the oldest great grandchildren, Savannah, Isla and George and perhaps David,Sarah and Lady Hicks. Bring it to 30. He would want a private ceremony.

None of the foreign royals will be allowed to come?

Saw a little on Twitter and it was rude, vile and disrespectful. It broke my heart that a man who has literally spent his life in service to King and country and 74+years as consort and, by her own words, quite simply the strength and stay of his wife Elizabeth, our Queen.

Regardless of his age I feel she must be breaking her heart at his loss and the knowledge she will truly be alone for the rest of her life. His children and grandchildren must be devastated because there have always been "their parents and grandparents" and now there is just Mama or Granny and a pandemic that will make it differcult to even see him off in the style he wanted, let alone the style the Country and Commonwealth needed.

Twitter is nasty. People hide behind fake photos, no photos and can be nasty without any flack. It's truly a disgusting place.

I wonder if they’ll do a public service when restrictions are lowered. Which should be relatively soon, from what I gather.

I can see Philip not wanting a big public service, but IA, he deserves one.

While not unexpected, this is very sad news.
May his soul RIP and may his family be blessed with strength to bear this loss

The longest serving consort in British history.

He did his duty to Queen & country:

“I Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, do become your liege-man of life and limb, and of earthly worship, and faith and truth I shall bear unto you, to live and die against all manner of folks. So help me God.” June 2nd 1953.

Thank you Sir.

Surprised at how emotional I feel. Wasn’t expecting that.

I hope there is at least some pomp at Windsor. A military (RM?) band & naval guard of honour at the least on the day of the funeral. Maybe last year's Windsor parade could serve as a template.

Last edited:
I just learned about the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.

Rest in peace, Your Royal Highness.

yep I agree - I would not be surprised if only HM The Queen and the children attend the funeral, and then there is a large memorial later. I thought that he might like to be buried at sea.

I am reminded about something the Duke said at a cricket game when the prize player was bowled at in the 90's and never got to the century. He stood, along with the rest of Lords and said to the people around him as he sat, "People make a big deal about centuries - but a well played innings is more worthy."

He wrote this on the visitors book of the Jan Smuts' museum in South Africa. "I am a mere traveler on God's Ship, he pulled the tides that I sail on and will one day pull me ashore."

Thanks for sharing. Those are lovely quotes from Philip. A wise man. I love the nautical reference to going home one day; how perfect for a naval officer.

May he rest in peace , will be very much missed.
Really sad news, I know he had a good long live but it’s still sad.

I think they will have a very small funeral and then a larger memorial when more restrictions are lifted. I would not be surprised if they go for HM, his children and grandchildren and maybe A representative or two from Philip’s side.

Twitter was gross...I blocked all reference to the Philip trends, blocked a bunch Of classless losers and just went on accounts of several royal reporters..

Oh now my heart is broken all over again..Daddy ����������

That is not Prince Charles' Twitter account.

Last edited:
My heart is broken for the Queen and the UK and myself. Always loved Prince Phillip. May he rest in peace.

None of the foreign royals will be allowed to come?

Not only due to numbers but due to the requirements to quarantine ... which is why I am not even sure that Harry will be able to be their. He will need to do 10 days in quarantine and the funeral is reported to be in 7 or 8 days time.

Only 30 people are allowed and with The Queen, four children, three spouses of children, 8 grandchildren and six spouses of grandchildren that is 22 with no great-grandchildren or more extended family members.

It is for this reason that I do think that a state memorial service will take place next year with foreign royals etc being in attendance.

Lovely article about HM and Philip. I’m so glad that he had time to devote to his own interests, that he and HM got to spend more time together and that family did visit him when they could.

While he had few friends in later life—Philip outlived almost every one of his friends—the duke found great pleasure in painting, walking, and reading his vast collection of history books. Because the Queen continued to work, the couple lived largely separate lives toward the end of the duke’s life with Her Majesty based at Windsor and London and Philip at Sandringham, but they remained close by speaking on the phone regularly. When coronavirus lockdowns began in 2020, the Queen and duke were able to spend more time together than ever before, which one source described as “wonderful” for the couple. According to royal sources, the couple enjoyed daily walks around the private gardens and made a point of dining together each evening.

“The Queen and Philip made a decision when the duke retired that they would be apart more, but they were on the phone to each other very often,” said the Queen’s biographer Sally Bedell Smith. “Philip always loved Wood Farm which became his base and the Queen would go and spend time with him when she could and visit her racehorses. She wanted him to be in a place where he could be happy and comfortable. He was able to go on walks, paint, and go out on his carriages in the morning. He loved nothing more than to ride around the Sandringham Estate.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom