Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He and QEII were married almost 74 years. That's longer than my own parents have been alive. I can't imagine spending that much of my life with someone.

I'm sending love and peace to everyone, in the hopes that they find strength in each other during this unfathomably difficult time.

My heart aches for the Queen. They shared a love that lasted for 73 years- a rarity. I cannot imagine how she must be feeling.
The Duke lead a long life- he lived to see the birth of his great-grandchildren. May his soul rest in peace

Sad to hear the news. I’d hoped that him going home was a good sign, but at least he got to go home.

What an extraordinary life he lived.

Very sorry for the RF.

No, no, no , no ,no
Terrible, terrible news.
He was, by far, one of y favourites royals. Truly the last of his kind, a true legend, really.

The end of an era. He'll so missed.

So long Phil, you were a gentleman until the very end.

Such a sad news even if not exactly unexpected.

Condolences to Her Majesty The Queen and Her Family.

?:easter:

So sad, in two months he would be one century's. RIP
But he had a marvelous full life.
Condolences to his family and especially to HM the Queen.

This is such sad news, but in another way, not totally unexpected after his very long stay in hospital.

It really feels like the passing of an era.

At last he could die at home and the Queen could be at his bedside, Wonder what the funeral will like be. Certainly not like the one who took place exactly 19 years ago.-

What a terrible news and almost two months of being a centenarian. The Duke of Edinburgh will be remembered for his service to the country and support to The Queen. He will be greatly missed.

Condolences to The Royal Family and The Queen who just lost her beloved husband.

May HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh rest in peace.

Last edited:
Just two months short of turning 100.
RIP.

I just realized that today is Charles and Camilla’s anniversary...I can’t imagine Charles ever wanting to celebrate this day now...?????

Very sad for The Queen, now all that generation has gone around her. That generation where men were men and gentlemen. 73 years together, he will be missed.
All her family will feel his passing quite keenly. He has left quite a legacy of duty and service and his family will have lots of good memories to cherish.

I am not really following the British royal family but he was a legend and we were very used to live a life where he exists so this comes as a shock.

I feel for the Queen, it's not easy to say goodbye to a lifelong friend and companion. I wish the family the best.

I suppose it will be a small private funeral. I don't think that Philip would have wanted a big show anyway....I wonder if he was pretty sick the past month or so since he came home from hosptail. I get the feeling that he was and that he didnt know all the stuff aboout Harry or perhaps wasn't really up to being aware of what was happeining in the outside world in recent months.

I dont even know if all the children and grandchildren with partners will be able to go. How many people are allowed at funerals?

Just checked and it is 30.

Eight grandchildren...4 partners (Meghan wont be there), 4 children and three partners and the Queen. That is 20. And perhaps.the oldest great grandchildren, Savannah, Isla and George and perhaps David,Sarah and Lady Hicks. Bring it to 30. He would want a private ceremony.

Last edited:
At last he could die at home and the Queen could be at his bedside, Wonder what the funeral will like be. Certainly not like the one who took place exactly 19 years ago.-

Maybe because of COVID restrictions he'll get the more intimate one he longed for.

Such sad news :sad:

I hope that the family got to say their goodbyes.

What sad news. Rest in peace.

Message from the Royal Family of Norway
https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=186914&sek=26939

Reaction of King Willem-Alexander, Queen Maxima and Princess Beatrix to the death of Prince Philip.

“We remember HRH Prince Philip with great respect. He dedicated his long life to the service of the British people and to his many duties and responsibilities. His lively personality made an indelible impression. Our loving feelings of compassion go out to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and all members of the Royal Family. ”
https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actue...es-beatrix-op-het-overlijden-van-prins-philip

Reaction of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNck7xdAOQt/?igshid=neyi0dt3pvfe

Reaction of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNcgaCoHNCz/?igshid=m9hea90k1su5

Message from the Royal Family of Denmark
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/hm-dronningen-sender-kondolence

Message from the Romanian Royal Family:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNcYpE2J9P0/?igshid=1n6j2c020leoj

Last edited:
I can't imagine the pain of the Queen, to lose the companion of her whole life. May he rest in peace.

Rest in Peace.

I was hoping he'd make it to his 100th birthday.

I've been in tears since I heard. He'd always been there. And it's so hard for any family to lose someone at this difficult time - he never got to see August or Lucas, and he won't have seen most of the rest of the family for months because of lockdown, not to mention all the bad feeling with Harry, and we're only allowed 30 people at a funeral so goodness knows what'll happen. The poor Queen: she'll be lost without him.

No-one lives for ever, and 99 is a wonderful age, but I'm very sad.

30 people... What are the travel restrictions for the UK currently? Could Harry fly in tomorrow and quarantine long enough to be at his grandfather's funeral?

Wife: 1
Children & spouses: 7
Grandchildren & spouses: 4 + 3 + 4 + 2 = 13
Great-grandchildren: 4 + 5 + 1 = 10 (I don't expect all of them to be present; maybe they decide to bring only the oldest 5-7 or none at all)

So, his direct descendants are 30, with his wife making it 31. The babies surely won't join - and I'm not sure about Harry and less sure about Meghan. They will likely decide to keep it within the family with probably the Archbishop of Canterbury to lead the service and maybe one government representative (who would be a likely candidate?) and/or a representative of Philip's original family (not sure who)?

I assume that, due to the Covid situation, there cannot be a public funeral. Prince Philip allegedly never wanted a big, public funeral anyway, so his wish will probably be fullfilled.

I'm really sad! My thoughts and prayers are with the Queen and the Royal Family. May Prince Philip rest in peace.

If there was a man who could live forever, it would be Prince Philip. A life full of extraordinary service to the country, the crown and his family.

The Prime Minister and Speaker of the House of Commons have release statements on death of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

PARLY @PARLYapp
Replying to @PARLYapp
Mr Speaker has issued a statement on the death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. It pays tribute to “his loyal devotion to service and his leadership of hundreds of ideals and causes close to his heart”.
9:41 PM · Apr 9, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyh4uh_WEAMaPbv?format=jpg&name=900x900

PARLY @PARLYapp
Replying to @PARLYapp
The prime minister has issued a statement on the death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh.
9:42 PM · Apr 9, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyh5BcQW8AAv7Is?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyh5BcPXIAE_rWQ?format=jpg&name=medium

Last edited:
30 people... What are the travel restrictions for the UK currently? Could Harry fly in tomorrow and quarantine long enough to be at his grandfather's funeral?

Wife: 1
Children & spouses: 7
Grandchildren & spouses: 4 + 3 + 4 + 2 = 13
Great-grandchildren: 4 + 5 + 1 = 10 (I don't expect all of them to be present; maybe they decide to bring only the oldest 5-7 or none at all)

So, his direct descendants are 30, with his wife making it 31. The babies surely won't join - and I'm not sure about Harry and less sure about Meghan. They will likely decide to keep it within the family with probably the Archbishop of Canterbury to lead the service and maybe one government representative (who would be a likely candidate?) and/or a representative of Philip's original family (not sure who)?

Meghan wont be there and maybe not Harry too. I would say Autumn would be. Along with at least 3 and maybe five of the great grandchildren.

Lady Pamela Hicks if she herself is well enough. And probably David and Sarah with Sarah's husband and probably Serena.

My first reaction was denial; No Phil, I know you want no celebration for your centenary, but not this way!
Then check everywhere (SM, News Media) and fine, it's happening.

He's one of few, he had a very eventful life and now he deserved to rest.

Rest in peace, The Duke of Edinburgh.

It shouldn't surprise me but it does. I thought he'd be alive for another year or two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom