The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 10:34 AM
Courtier

I knew this day would come, but I still can't believe it is here.

Can't imagine what HM is going through at this time. My condolences to HM and the whole family.

RIP Prince Philip.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
"Dear Aunt Lilibet,

We have been deeply saddened by the news of the passing of our dear Uncle Philip.

In these painful moments, we want to convey our deepest condolences on behalf of the Government and the Spanish people, as well as all our closeness and support.

We will never forget the occasions we were able to share with him and the legacy of service and dedication to the Crown and the United Kingdom that he has always played by your side.

Our thoughts and prayers are with your majesty and with the entire family.

With all our love and affection, Felipe and Letizia."

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencial...libet_3027704/
What a lovely, personal message:)

Old 04-09-2021, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...75865323212800

It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.

The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.

Further announcements will be made in due course.

RIP Prince Philip😢
Old 04-09-2021, 10:43 AM
Majesty

Would the 8 day morning period for the queen suggest that the funeral will be on the 8th day? So, probably next Friday or Saturday?
Old 04-09-2021, 10:43 AM
Nobility

, I was just rewatching the first two season of The Crown, so sad
Old 04-09-2021, 10:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think they will have a very small funeral and then a larger memorial when more restrictions are lifted. I would not be surprised if they go for HM, his children and grandchildren and maybe A representative or two from Philip’s side.
That is very much what I suspect will happen. HRH will have a funeral and internment in the strictest privacy. After Covid restrictions are lifted, there will be a larger memorial at St. George's Chapel, Westminister Abbey, or St. Paul's Cathedral. Maybe representatives of the various Royal houses will be attendance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryVirginia View Post
What a lovely, personal message:)
I don't know why I am surprised and touched that the Spanish king and queen refer to HMQ as "Aunt Lilibet" but I am.

I wonder if all the other European Royals do the same?

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-09-2021, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Would the 8 day morning period for the queen suggest that the funeral will be on the 8th day? So, probably next Friday or Saturday?
I would assume so but nothing has been confirmed.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
That is very much what I suspect will happen. HRH will have a funeral and internment in the strictest privacy. After Covid restrictions are lifted, there will be a larger memorial at St. George's Chapel, Westminister Abbey, or St. Paul's Cathedral. Maybe representatives of the various Royal houses will be attendance.
I know that in the time of COVID this makes complete and total sense. However, given that the late DoE made it clear for a number of years that he did not enjoy a fuss being made over him and did not wish for a full state funeral upon his passing, I think this arrangement is a fabulous way to handle it all and would certainly have been given his seal of approval even if we weren't in the midst of a pandemic. This seems like quite a nice compromise and certainly seems to cover both the need of the family and the need for recognition on a wider basis given his position.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

A message from Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece and Denmark.

https://twitter.com/MarieChantalUK/s...34330766856195
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I know that in the time of COVID this makes complete and total sense. However, given that the late DoE made it clear for a number of years that he did not enjoy a fuss being made over him and did not wish for a full state funeral upon his passing, I think this arrangement is a fabulous way to handle it all and would certainly have been given his seal of approval even if we weren't in the midst of a pandemic. This seems like quite a nice compromise and certainly seems to cover both the need of the family and the need for recognition on a wider basis given his position.
In think the family are incredibly lucky. Before Monday it was 15 people.

But he and his family were lucky. What a life to see 6 grandchildren married and to live to see 10 great grandchildren. Two now to be named after him.

For a man from a traumatic and fragmented background to have created and see an United and by and large stable family is amazing.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

People have been laying tributes at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle - it's been requested that people stay away because of social distancing, but this is a very difficult day.

I would think there'll be a memorial service at Westminster Abbey when large gatherings can be held again. A lot of people have been streaming funerals on Zoom for those unable to attend due to the maximum of 30 rule and or travel restrictions, but I sort of hope that this won't be televised - filming a big public funeral is one thing, but filming a small private funeral would seem very intrusive. I wouldn't like to think of the Queen feeling that she's on show and can't let herself break down in tears if that's what she needs to do.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:06 AM
Nobility

I am happy to see that Princess Beatrice was able to have her grandfather attending her wedding even if it may not have been the wedding she wished for at first.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:08 AM
Royal Highness

Yes, and I think that Zara and Mike are happy their little boy was born a bit earlier too.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if we will see Prince Charles address the nation on TV the way he did after his grandmother and aunt passed away.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:10 AM
Courtier

My goodness, the difference in how this is being reported...it's enough to make your head spin. While some TV presenters are almost in tears while sharing the news, others are just proving themselves to be unthinking and inconsiderate asses.

I believe it was Rhiannon Mills who seemed teary and emotional while sharing the news. However, Gayle King asked in front of the entire world if his passing was brought about by natural causes. Good heavens. Given her involvement in matters over the last couple of months she'd probably have done well to simply report the fact that a statement was issued from the palace, etc. and leave it at that and I understand that she's receiving quite the bashing on social media for her question.

It's really quite mind-boggling to see the differences in the way this is being handled by different reporters, programs, and channels.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:12 AM
Courtier

Woke up about an hour ago and popped onto FB, saw a post from a friend and couldn't believe the news. Such a sad day for the Queen and her family.

The tributes pouring in from around the world are what caused me to cry. Such an iconic man who touched so many people. RIP, Philip.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I have often thought of the Queen dying and reuniting with her father. Now she can anticipate her reunion with Phillip.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:13 AM
Majesty

The second Prince Consort after Albert.He will be followed by 3 Generations of Queens Consort
He did well He was a real Warrior since Childhood.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
My goodness, the difference in how this is being reported...it's enough to make your head spin. While some TV presenters are almost in tears while sharing the news, others are just proving themselves to be unthinking and inconsiderate asses.

I believe it was Rhiannon Mills who seemed teary and emotional while sharing the news. However, Gayle King asked in front of the entire world if his passing was brought about by natural causes. Good heavens. Given her involvement in matters over the last couple of months she'd probably have done well to simply report the fact that a statement was issued from the palace, etc. and leave it at that and I understand that she's receiving quite the bashing on social media for her question.

It's really quite mind-boggling to see the differences in the way this is being handled by different reporters, programs, and channels.
Well, Rhiannon Mills is a Brit and Gayle King is an American, so I can understand some of the differences in reaction; but King has also proven what a classless hack she is in recent years so are any of us really surprised she would be so tacky as to ask something about the cause of death?
Old 04-09-2021, 11:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
Well, Rhiannon Mills is a Brit and Gayle King is an American, so I can understand some of the differences in reaction; but King has also proven what a classless hack she is in recent years so are any of us really surprised she would be so tacky as to ask something about the cause of death?
Agreed. And I do realize the differences between the reporters countries of origin, etc. and that that will certainly factor into the response. But, as an American, I've seen a lot of coverage this morning and so many of them are doing it beautifully, tastefully, and respectfully. Then you have this nonsense from Gayle King and I just don't think my eyes could possibly have rolled harder. I mean, really? What a tasteless thing to ask, particularly in light of the fact that the announcement is only a couple of hours old. And frankly, what a stupid question. The man was 99, just spent a month in hospital, and has been in failing health for some time. Do we really believe he crashed his bike in a ride around Windsor? For heavens sake...

Closed Thread