Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in Oregon so probably will watch MSNBC on our satellite dish. Live Streaming doesn't have good sound on our 14 year old TV.
I was so disappointed that I missed the live version of the Queen Mother's funeral in 2002. Thank goodness for YouTube and my iPad.

Last edited:
I just looked and it appears that I’ll be able to watch it on BBC World. It doesn’t look like BBC America is showing it, at least not according to my guide.

Your BBC World is covering the funeral ? Odd, my cable guide doesn’t show it, and neither does the website.

I may try to stream the Aussie site that Dickie Arbiter will be on, at least occasionally ..other than that, I’ll flip between ABC and MSNBC

Last edited:
The funeral service sounds very moving.

I love much of the music that the Duke has chosen but the Russian Kontakion for the Departed I find particularly moving. It’s also a nod to the Duke’s links to the Imperial Russian family.

Those are gorgeous photos that the Queen and Mike have released. Kudos to Catherine and Sophie for the pics.

I don’t think I can bear to watch American coverage of the funeral with all the errors. Is sky news a good alternative? I think I don’t get bbc America on my lowest rung cable

I know! American commentators on BRF events are awful.

The Sun has a live feed on Youtube, all free. It has already started. All available in the US.

Agree that it does seem that the procession is excluding on the grounds of gender - Earl Snowden is walking while his sister is not, with no granddaughters walking. It’s a shame, the funeral of such a moderniser would be an ideal time to give women the choice and do away with the gender exclusion.

I am surprised to see both Anne and Tim walking, in the interests of reducing numbers I’d have expected him only to walk if Anne did not wish to do so (which was never going to happen!) I’d like to think James would have been asked - William and Harry may have felt that they were too young to walk behind Diana’s, but they were always going to have greater media scrutiny upon them being the heir and the spare and a harder time with it being their mother’s procession far before her time. Everyone has to do what they feel is right for them and that isn’t always the same thing.

Agree that it does seem that the procession is excluding on the grounds of gender - Earl Snowden is walking while his sister is not, with no granddaughters walking. It’s a shame, the funeral of such a moderniser would be an ideal time to give women the choice and do away with the gender exclusion.

I am surprised to see both Anne and Tim walking, in the interests of reducing numbers I’d have expected him only to walk if Anne did not wish to do so (which was never going to happen!) I’d like to think James would have been asked - William and Harry may have felt that they were too young to walk behind Diana’s, but they were always going to have greater media scrutiny upon them being the heir and the spare and a harder time with it being their mother’s procession far before her time. Everyone has to do what they feel is right for them and that isn’t always the same thing.

It’s long standing tradition. This is how it always has been done in UK so it doesn’t surprise me for 5 minutes... I think Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise, Zara and Sara feels rather relived than excluded

Princess Anne is UK’s only female Honorary Admiral of the Royal Navy so i don’t think anyone expects her to not go... Both she and Tim went in 2002 when The Queen Mother’s coffin was moved from St James’ Palace to Westminster Hall to lie in state but on the funeral day, Anne walked alone while Tim travelled with Peter and Zara To the Abbey by car.
It’s very likely that The Queen’s future funeral procession looks the same.

I refuse to read too much into it....

Last edited:
It’s long standing tradition. This is how it always has been done in UK so it doesn’t surprise me for 5 minutes... I think Beatrice, Eugenie, Zara and Sara feels rather relived to not be forced to

Princess Anne is the only female Honorary Admiral of the Royal Navy so i don’t think anyone expects her to not go... Both she and Tim went in 2002 when The Queen Mother’s coffin was moved from St James’ Palace to Westminster Hall to lie in state but on the funeral day, Anne walked alone while Tim travelled with Peter and Zara To the Abbey by car.
It’s very likely that The Queen’s future funeral procession looks the same.

I refuse to read too much into it....

It’s what the Queen wants and presumably what Prince Philip wanted. I’m ok with that.

Thanks Betsypaige. Elizabeth wasn't writing love letters (I am sure she knew what would be expected of her in such a correspondence and writing lots of 'I love you's' surely wasn't included and would have been considered improper) but they DID start exchanging letters, so there was some kind of mutual interest (whether encouraged by others or not). The queen's confidants, including her lady-in-waiting Lady Pamela Hicks, confirmed that from age 13 she didn't have an eye for any other man than Philip.

I remember my first crush when I was 13 and he was a class mate of my brother - there was no sexual emotions involved, I was just happy to be allowed in the same room and just look occasionally at him. Or to meet him (we were at the same school) and be able to say "Hello" and talk for a moment. If I could have send him letters, they would have been short and boring because I wouldn't have adred to write more. He still took the time to explain to me that our difference in age lead to us having different ideas about a relationship and made me really agree with him that he couldn't be my choice for a "boyfriend". Very kind, very nice and that was that. Who knows what would have happened if I was a sheltered girl, he part of my family and we saw each other occasionally at family teas or something. Maybe we would be married now! But it didn't happen that way. It did, though, for Elizabeth and Philip.

As for the problems before the king agreed to an engagement: there weren't too many suitable second Royal sons around after WWII and I doubt the "grey men" would have wanted a British suitor for their future queen. A Scandie prince? In a way Philip was one of them. But he was British raised and served in the British navy, had a career, even though not much money, so he really fit. But they needed to "cut him down a bit" and so impressed IMHO on the Princess Elizabeth that she was the future queen and that he could be lucky that he was allowed to marry her.. In the end it was all politics and I am happy they came together as a couple and stayed so happy till the end.

. . . . . As for the problems before the king agreed to an engagement: there weren't too many suitable second Royal sons around after WWII and I doubt the "grey men" would have wanted a British suitor for their future queen. A Scandie prince? In a way Philip was one of them. But he was British raised and served in the British navy, had a career, even though not much money, so he really fit. But they needed to "cut him down a bit" and so impressed IMHO on the Princess Elizabeth that she was the future queen and that he could be lucky that he was allowed to marry her.. In the end it was all politics and I am happy they came together as a couple and stayed so happy till the end.
I believe that Phlip must have loved Elizabeth because from the moment that her parents realised that her "crush" was still very real during and after the war, they went out of the way to introduce her to "suitable" young men. It has to be remembered that the King did not marry royalty but rather Scottish aristocracy and I think they both thought that a British aristocrat was better than an impecunious foreign Prince with a somewhat rackety family!

As for the problems before the king agreed to an engagement: there weren't too many suitable second Royal sons around after WWII and I doubt the "grey men" would have wanted a British suitor for their future queen. A Scandie prince? In a way Philip was one of them. But he was British raised and served in the British navy, had a career, even though not much money, so he really fit. But they needed to "cut him down a bit" and so impressed IMHO on the Princess Elizabeth that she was the future queen and that he could be lucky that he was allowed to marry her.. In the end it was all politics and I am happy they came together as a couple and stayed so happy till the end.

Actually there where not many non-german protestant Princes besides Philip whp where unmarried. Only the Princes Georg and Flemming of Denmark and Prince Bertil of Sweden.

Buckingham Palace on this Spring morning in London ahead of the Duke's Funeral.

Actually it seems that "the grey men" thought Princess Elizabeth should choose some nice young British aristocrat. They weren't impressed that Philip was a "penniless foreign barely a prince" with questionable parents, a rough childhood and some Nazi connections (even though his own service was impeccable) but allegedly would have been happier if she had married the male version of her mother. Hence the moves to make him as British as possible.

I think there would have been moves to impress on everyone that her husband was the consort here and comes 2nd officially no matter who she married.

Actually it seems that "the grey men" thought Princess Elizabeth should choose some nice young British aristocrat. They weren't impressed that Philip was a "penniless foreign barely a prince" with questionable parents, a rough childhood and some Nazi connections (even though his own service was impeccable) but allegedly would have been happier if she had married the male version of her mother. Hence the moves to make him as British as possible.

I think there would have been moves to impress on everyone that her husband was the consort here and comes 2nd officially no matter who she married.

Did the good ol' Duke of Windsor and Wallis actually call him a "foundling," or was that only a figment of imagination on the Crown's part? :lol:

I believe that Phlip must have loved Elizabeth because from the moment that her parents realised that her "crush" was still very real during and after the war, they went out of the way to introduce her to "suitable" young men. It has to be remembered that the King did not marry royalty but rather Scottish aristocracy and I think they both thought that a British aristocrat was better than an impecunious foreign Prince with a somewhat rackety family!

FYI, the quote you’re responding to isn’t mine...

The Royal Family's social media account has released a montage commemorating Prince Philip with the audio and words of Poet Laureate reading The Patriarchs - An Elegy.

The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
A montage to commemorate the extraordinary life of The Duke of Edinburgh, made unique by its sheer breadth of experience, and the wartime generation he was part of.

With words by the Poet Laureate,
The Patriarchs - An Elegy.
5:47 PM · Apr 17, 2021·Twitter Media Studio​

@theroyalfamily Verified
The Patriarchs - An Elegy

A montage to commemorate the extraordinary life of The Duke of Edinburgh, made unique by its sheer breadth of experience, and the wartime generation he was part of.

With words by the Poet Laureate.
1h​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNwo8pIHF5H/

I thin that the queen Mother also wanted a nice British aristocrat for Eliz's husband. Philips German connextions, his brash manner, his parents being separated and his mother in an asylum were not likley to recommend him to the Palace advisers or the RF in general....

Did the good ol' Duke of Windsor and Wallis actually call him a "foundling," or was that only a figment of imagination on the Crown's part? :lol:

I don't watch The Crown anymore and don't read much about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor so I can't say, but it's best to consider all The Crown fiction that accidentally gets it right than the other way around. ;)

Looking at the order of service, I do love Kontakion of the Departed.

Interesting that they have The Lord's Prayer without the Doxology as well. The CofE does use it but it's the BCP/alternative version of the service.

Eternal Father Strong to Save used to be my school hymn for some reason.

The Royal Family's social media account has released a montage commemorating Prince Philip with the audio and words of Poet Laureate reading The Patriarchs - An Elegy.

The Royal Family @RoyalFamily

With words by the Poet Laureate,
The Patriarchs - An Elegy.
5:47 PM · Apr 17, 2021·Twitter Media Studio​

@theroyalfamily Verified
The Patriarchs - An Elegy

With words by the Poet Laureate.
1h​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNwo8pIHF5H/

Lovely tribute....

I don't understand why Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark was considered at the moment of his engagement to Princess Elizabeth, a lower royal.
Penieless, Yes
From a delicate family condition, yes
Ok, his sisters married German high titled who ended up Nazis.
Furthermore, the BRF, was German also, wasn't? Saxe-Coburgh.

But low royal? His paternal grand father was ruling King, coming from a ruling family in Denmark, brother of 2 Queens. His paternal grandmother a Romanov, niece of a ruling Tzar.
From his mother, descendant of Queen Victoria.
I don't see why it makes him lower than Princess Elisabeth, a part maybe that she was daughter of a King.

Actually there where not many non-german protestant Princes besides Philip whp where unmarried. Only the Princes Georg and Flemming of Denmark and Prince Bertil of Sweden.

Wasn't Philip Greek Orthodox? When did he officially join the Church of England?

I don't understand why Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark was considered at the moment of his engagement to Princess Elizabeth, a lower royal.
Penieless, Yes
From a delicate family condition, yes
Ok, his sisters married German high titled who ended up Nazis.
Furthermore, the BRF, was German also, wasn't? Saxe-Coburgh.

But low royal? His paternal grand father was ruling King, coming from a ruling family in Denmark, brother of 2 Queens. His paternal grandmother a Romanov, niece of a ruling Tzar.
From his mother, descendant of Queen Victoria.
I don't see why it makes him lower than Princess Elisabeth, a part maybe that she was daughter of a King.

His royal credentials from a certain point of view were more impressive than Elizabeth's since Philip descended from sovereign families both in paternal and maternal line whereas Elizabeth's mother was just an earl's, daughter. Elizabeth was, however, a reigning King's daughter and an heiress presumptive to the throne.

Last edited:
I found this on YouTube. I’m not sure it will work in the US but it may be worth a shot.

I am technically challenged so please be kind.

It looks like a BBC Link to the funeral.

This link is up and live right now with BBC coverage.

I found this on YouTube. I’m not sure it will work in the US but it may be worth a shot.

I am technically challenged so please be kind.

It looks like a BBC Link to the funeral.
Thanks so much! This link works perfectly!

Wasn't Philip Greek Orthodox? When did he officially join the Church of England?

Don't know. What i meant is that probably they did not want a catholic Prince.

Flags are flying at half mast on all State buildings today to mark the funeral of The Duke of Edinburgh in the Irish Republic.

This was was also done as a mark of respect here in 2002 for the late queen mother and in 1997 for Diana Princess of Wales.

Your BBC World is covering the funeral ? Odd, my cable guide doesn’t show it, and neither does the website.

I may try to stream the Aussie site that Dickie Arbiter will be on, at least occasionally ..other than that, I’ll flip between ABC and MSNBC

It is but I can’t watch it. Apparently it’s part of a much more expensive package that we don’t have. However, I’m already up and watching MSNBC and will through the funeral. I’m also recording in on CNN just to see the differences. So far MSNBC is doing a nice job. Victoria Howard has been on and they’ve been showing and discussing the military groups moving down the Long Walk and preparing for today, the long marriage of HM and the DoE, all of the royal burials at Windsor, etc. Nothing unmissable but still nice background while I make coffee and find some breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom