The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 05:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
That's a lovely photo by Sophie and from the early days when they weren't married and she was still getting to know everyone.

Lots of photos from Balmoral, clearly it has always been a very happy place for them, which we knew but it's nice to get a peep behind the curtain sometimes.
The photo was taken in 2003, Sophie and Edward were married for 4 years by then and assumably first-time parents (of Louise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

Isn't Windsor Castle located in the region of London?
It is, so unless Windsor Castle has a ghost companion in Scotland, I have no idea what "both in Scotland and England" means.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

Isn't Windsor Castle located in the region of London?
Yes. But I imagine that it's like a backwards embassy where diplomatically speaking it's a little bit of whichever country it represents.

Spiritually speaking since the unification of the two crowns Windsor Castle, spiritual home of the monarchy, has apparently also "existed" in Scotland.

ETA:

Quote:
The photo was taken in 2003, Sophie and Edward were married for 4 years by then and assumably first-time parents (of Louise)
Oops! I misread it and thought it said 1993!

Old 04-16-2021, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Another lovely unseen photo has been released this evening as chosen by the Queen. It’s from 2003 and it was taken by The Countess of Wessex at Balmoral.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzH76l7W...pg&name=medium

This is a wonderful, relaxed photo of them. I can see why it’s a favorite.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Well almost first time parents as I reckon this was taken in the summer of 2003 so Sophie was pregnant.

I am loving all these family photos being released. They’ve really made me tear up and show how adored he was by everyone.

I’m still not over the one of Mia and Prince Philip.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:03 PM
Serene Highness

This is going to be so emotional tomorrow, the build up is on tv this evening, photographs and the order of service. I am off already, I don't know how I will watch it all without bubbling.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:08 PM
Nobility

Interesting to hear that 'Eternal Father Strong to Save' will be one of the hymns at Prince Philip's funeral. Obviously it has a strong naval theme - 'for those in peril on the sea.'
But also the tune most commonly used for this hymn in 'Melita', the Latin name for Malta when he and Her Majesty spent such happy years.
'Melita' was also one of the names of Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria who was born in Malta as the 2nd daughter of Prince Alfred, who was serving there in the Royal Navy.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

These ponies are absolutely gorgeous..seeing them, Prince Philip’s favorites, pulling the empty carriages, is going to be heartbreaking...

Quote:
The Duke of Edinburgh’s beloved Fell ponies, Balmoral Nevis, bred by the Queen, and Notlaw Storm, will make a poignant appearance at #PrincePhilip’s funeral tomorrow as he makes his final journey. The ponies were #PrincePhilip’s pride and joy for carriage driving 📷@PA @parsnippo
https://twitter.com/royanikkhah/stat...530350080?s=21
Old 04-16-2021, 06:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Another lovely family photo released, this time by Mike Tindall on his personal Instagram.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzHGdE9X...jpg&name=large
Lovely, do you know where it was taken?
Old 04-16-2021, 06:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Another lovely unseen photo has been released this evening as chosen by the Queen. It’s from 2003 and it was taken by The Countess of Wessex at Balmoral.

Such a lovely picture of a happy elderly couple enjoying themselves at a nice spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
Lovely, do you know where it was taken?
Most likely Balmoral as well.

Quote:
At the conclusion of the Service, The Duke of Edinburgh’s Coffin will be lowered into the Royal Vault. The Archbishop of Canterbury will pronounce the Blessing and the National Anthem will be sung by the Choir.

Her Majesty The Queen, Members of the Royal Family and The Duke of Edinburgh’s Family will then depart the Chapel via Galilee Porch.
Will be the lowering into the Royal Vault be something that the family will be able to observe in private (or at least the queen and her children? - comparable to how the closest family members in the case of the Dutch royals will go down into the crypt for a private farewell) or will they remain in the Chapel and say their final goodbyes/farewll with the whole world watching?
Old 04-16-2021, 07:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Will be the lowering into the Royal Vault be something that the family will be able to observe in private (or at least the queen and her children? - comparable to how the closest family members in the case of the Dutch royals will go down into the crypt for a private farewell) or will they remain in the Chapel and say their final goodbyes/farewll with the whole world watching?
I wondered that myself, surely the cameras will draw back at that point. There are some elements that are for the family. Surely..
Old 04-16-2021, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I really think it must be a private moment. And for the close family only....
Old 04-16-2021, 07:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I just love the smile on both of their faces! This picture reflects their marriage perfectly.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Such a lovely picture of a happy elderly couple enjoying themselves at a nice spot.

Most likely Balmoral as well.

I don't think so. I have just read the order of service it is has elements of the service before and after the lowering.

They are having an anthem (not the national anthem) sung, they then all stand while the coffin is lowered, then (or while) the commendation is said and the the proclamation of the titles of the DoE. That is followed by the pipers before the national anthem and then the family move. There is no movement during the service.

I will wait an see how this is done but it is very much part of the service it seems.

I found the Order of Service on The Times website and so behind a paywall but it is also here on the DM https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Edinburgh.html
Old 04-16-2021, 07:53 PM
Royal Highness

rest peacefully
Old 04-16-2021, 08:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryVirginia View Post
I just love the smile on both of their faces! This picture reflects their marriage perfectly.
He is so handsome, even in his later years, a perfect consort
Old 04-16-2021, 08:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
The photograph of Prince Philip with Mia really shows that this family is more than just the "royal family" ... it's an authentic traditional family with grandpa having a beautiful moment with his great-granddaughter. Together, with the photograph of QEII and Prince Philip with their great-grandchildren earlier this week, we now know what we had only suspected --- there are more "family time" intimate moments than we know (or should know!). I'm so touched by the photographs this week.
I absolutely agree. These photos have all been such bright spots in an otherwise very sad and gloomy week. It’s wonderful to get such personal and real glimpses into the family life that was clearly the very center of who they are behind the scenes.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:24 PM
Aristocracy

Hoping the best for the family tomorrow. Stay strong! We love you, Queen Elizabeth!
Old 04-16-2021, 08:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I love this picture of them! You can feel how happy they were with each other, the people they were with, and the fact that it was a beautiful day in a place they loved. I can see why it’s a favourite.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:55 PM
Courtier

We do love you, Queen Elizabeth!

And so apt that the ponies and carriages will be seen.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
We do love you, Queen Elizabeth!

And so apt that the ponies and carriages will be seen.
I’m about 99.9% certain that a groom will be leading them or driving them but since they do occasionally like to throw in a personal touch I can’t say that a tiny part of me isn’t expecting Lady Louise to be driving them in celebration of the sport she loved and shared with her grandfather.

Closed Thread