The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 02:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
I imagine the only one who will ever know the answer to this is probably the Queen which is okay imo. We don't need to know everything about their relationship/marriage or any Royal for that matter.

I doubt the Queen actually "fell in love" at age 13 if you get what I mean. Probably more of a young teen girl cush on an older boy but eventually developed into something more as she got older.
Didn't they start writing letters to each other after that meeting in which the now queen was 13; so something must have happened for that to start. I don't think she wrote to a wide variety of potential future husbands/foreign princes that were several years older. It makes sense that their 'not-yet relationship' wasn't a high priority during the war; as Elizabeth was still a teenager - and it was war...

Old 04-16-2021, 02:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Didn't they start writing letters to each other after that meeting in which the now queen was 13; so something must have happened for that to start. I don't think she wrote to a wide variety of potential future husbands/foreign princes that were several years older. It makes sense that their 'not-yet relationship' wasn't a high priority during the war; as Elizabeth was still a teenager - and it was war...

I don't think anything happened- that would have been really, well, gross as Princess Elizabeth was 13; no way Philip would have had any feelings like that. They did keep up a correspondence, but it was friendly. I thought I read that things changed when PE was about 16 or so and Philip saw her performing in one of the family shows - I think they called it charades? PE was apparently extremely good in the charades and Philip saw that she was not a little girl anywmore......

Old 04-16-2021, 02:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I definitely would worry, as a parent, if my 13 year old daughter (essentially a child) was writing love letters to an 18 year old young man and he was receptive to them. For reasons of common sense (on her parents part) I have never believed that to be true. A crush on her part, absolutely, but to say she was in love is just silly. Lady Pamela Mountbatten even said that it took Elizabeth to be 20/21 to fall in love with him and it took Philip a lot of years later to fall in love with her and that makes much more sense.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I definitely would worry, as a parent, if my 13 year old daughter (essentially a child) was writing love letters to an 18 year old young man and he was receptive to them. For reasons of common sense (on her parents part) I have never believed that to be true. A crush on her part, absolutely, but to say she was in love is just silly. Lady Pamela Mountbatten even said that it took Elizabeth to be 20/21 to fall in love with him and it took Philip a lot of years later to fall in love with her and that makes much more sense.
Elizabeth was not writing love letters to Philip and he wasn't responding to them that way. It was a friendly correspondence. Whether the princess knew what "love" really was (I mean, she saw her parents deeply in love and the kind of marriage they had), who knows? But it's clear she couldn't see past Philip once she laid eyes on him. It makes sense to me that she was really IN LOVE the way and adult can be when she was older, though.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Another lovely family photo released, this time by Mike Tindall on his personal Instagram.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzHGdE9X...jpg&name=large
Oh that is sweet:)
Old 04-16-2021, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

This article is Beatrice talking about her grandfather from shortly before his death, but the life lessons she learned from him were really good:

Princess Beatrice shared lesson she learned from Prince Philip at her last engagement before his death, telling young leaders not to be 'obsessed with solutions' and to focus on the journey to get there instead

When asked to share advice with young future leaders during the webinar, Beatrice told them not to become obsessed with the 'solution' while trying to solve problems because their journey will always have 'twists and turns'.

She went on to urge them not to become 'disheartened' by obstacles and to remain 'focused' on what they are trying to achieve, a lesson she said was inspired by her grandfather Prince Philip.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...ce-Philip.html
Old 04-16-2021, 03:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Elizabeth was not writing love letters to Philip and he wasn't responding to them that way. It was a friendly correspondence. Whether the princess knew what "love" really was (I mean, she saw her parents deeply in love and the kind of marriage they had), who knows? But it's clear she couldn't see past Philip once she laid eyes on him. It makes sense to me that she was really IN LOVE the way and adult can be when she was older, though.
Thanks Betsypaige. Elizabeth wasn't writing love letters (I am sure she knew what would be expected of her in such a correspondence and writing lots of 'I love you's' surely wasn't included and would have been considered improper) but they DID start exchanging letters, so there was some kind of mutual interest (whether encouraged by others or not). The queen's confidants, including her lady-in-waiting Lady Pamela Hicks, confirmed that from age 13 she didn't have an eye for any other man than Philip.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There was obviously something there that drew them to each other at the very beginning although I definitely wouldn't put "love" in the equation. There was a connection enough that they pursued getting to know each other as "friends" and perhaps "distant relations". Kind of like pen pals. This, to me, formed a good, solid basis for the loving relationship that grew out of that in the years ahead. They "got" each other. They respected each other's individuality and instinctively knew what the other needed. They knew each other well before any thought of "falling in love" entered their heads.

They were one of those couples that you kind of could say their relationship was "fated to be" or "written in the stars". I think 73 years of marriage proves that through the ups and downs and ins and outs and flying tennis rackets.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
I can't get over how tall Louise is getting. She is certainly a very lovely young lady.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:10 PM
Royal Highness

That photo of Prince Philip and Mia Tindall is sweet, it's the first photo that made me tear up. So authentic.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:39 PM
Royal Highness

The photograph of Prince Philip with Mia really shows that this family is more than just the "royal family" ... it's an authentic traditional family with grandpa having a beautiful moment with his great-granddaughter. Together, with the photograph of QEII and Prince Philip with their great-grandchildren earlier this week, we now know what we had only suspected --- there are more "family time" intimate moments than we know (or should know!). I'm so touched by the photographs this week.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From Sky News earlier the route and how the Funeral will unfold.

The Archbishop of Canterbury talks about the death of the duke and the funeral.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Another lovely unseen photo has been released this evening as chosen by the Queen. It’s from 2003 and it was taken by The Countess of Wessex at Balmoral.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzH76l7W...pg&name=medium
Old 04-16-2021, 05:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
I think it's very interesting how Wessexes seem to be brought up to the front this week. We've seen them plenty of times, and everytime they were the picture of grace and honorability.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Another lovely unseen photo has been released this evening as chosen by the Queen. It’s from 2003 and it was taken by The Countess of Wessex at Balmoral.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzH76l7W...pg&name=medium

Stunning! Thanks for posting.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I think there are a variety of reasons for that, certainly I think they had a close relationship with Philip and we know they visited Windsor a lot and the Queen and Philip visited Bagshot quite frequently too (certainly more than some of her other children's homes)

I also think in these Covid times the Wessex's are the easiest to "deploy" as such as they are so close to Windsor itself whereas Anne is 1.5hours away as is Charles (unless he is at Clarence House)

That pic of HM and Philip is lovely! It's been a real treat to see how close the family are "behind the scenes".
Old 04-16-2021, 05:28 PM
Royal Highness

That's a lovely photo by Sophie and from the early days when they weren't married and she was still getting to know everyone.

Lots of photos from Balmoral, clearly it has always been a very happy place for them, which we knew but it's nice to get a peep behind the curtain sometimes.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think there are a variety of reasons for that, certainly I think they had a close relationship with Philip and we know they visited Windsor a lot and the Queen and Philip visited Bagshot quite frequently too (certainly more than some of her other children's homes)

I also think in these Covid times the Wessex's are the easiest to "deploy" as such as they are so close to Windsor itself whereas Anne is 1.5hours away as is Charles (unless he is at Clarence House)

That pic of HM and Philip is lovely! It's been a real treat to see how close the family are "behind the scenes".

I think it’s my favorite photo of them. Scotland is so gorgeous, and HM and Philip look just like regular country folk. 😍😍😍😍

I agree with your second comment as well. Maybe they don’t see each other that much, but it’s obvious there’s a great deal of love between them...
Old 04-16-2021, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

The whole British Royal Family did celebrate last week his life. This was such an incredible gift to him to honour his achievements, his love and the time with him.

I had to shed some tears when a new aspect of his life was posted.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
There is also something in the Daily Mail about them ending up walking in twos once they arrive at the chapel
Yes, the official website lists the order of the procession:

The Princess Royal The Prince of Wales
The Earl of Wessex and Forfar The Duke of York
The Duke of Sussex Mr. Peter Phillips The Duke of Cambridge
Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence The Earl of Snowdon

https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0

Interestingly, it lists "Mr. and Mrs. Mike Tindall" ahead of "Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi" on the guestlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
They might just have decided they didn't want too many people walking behind the coffin, so to keep it to the children and the adult grandsons.
A natural approach of limiting the number of grandchildren walking behind the coffin would have been to incorporate only the Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex, the grandchildren who are highest in the order of precedence, or perhaps only Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall, the oldest of the grandchildren. If what has been said about the Princess Royal walking in the otherwise all-male procession only because she asked and received special permission to do so is correct, the most likely explanation is that the granddaughters and the wives (Sir Tim is walking in the procession) were excluded on the grounds of their gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Maybe the granddaughters have been given the choice and they just chose not to. Especially Zara and Eugenie have just delivered a baby.
It is not impossible, but if all attending members of the family were given the choice it would be surprising that all but one of the family members who accepted were male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The Queen presented Edward with a Scottish Earldom for his 55th birthday. I thought the title was only going to be used in Scotland but obviously on this occasion both are being used.
I think you are correct. The announcement of the Earldom of Forfar stated that "Their Royal Highnesses will use the title The Earl and Countess of Forfar when in Scotland."

That being said, I suppose one could say that "when in Scotland" does not necessarily mean "only when in Scotland".

Those who missed the discussion of the Queen's conferral of the Earldom of Forfar on Prince Edward can find it here. https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2202820

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedmeme View Post
Peers (whether Royal or not) always use their highest title and if they have two of the same rank they use both. For example the Duke of Buccleuch is also the Duke of Queensberry so is addressed as the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry. The same thing is happening here with Edward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Unsure if this is for the event or how it always is? As the Earl's titles are of the same rank, both have to be listed. If one outranked the other, then only that one would be mentioned - ie. the other Dukes.
But Prince Edward typically uses The Earl of Wessex only, at least outside of Scotland.

https://www.royal.uk/the-earl-of-wessex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I asked this morning and the official word is that Windsor Castle is both in Scotland and England.
Isn't Windsor Castle located in the region of London?

Closed Thread