The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 08:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Queen Mary and Philip's grandmother Victoria were old friends. When news came that Victoria's sister Alix and her family had been massacred by the Bolsheviks, it was Queen Mary who went to sit with Victoria and try to comfort her. And she'd probably put up with a few remarks herself, as the child of a morganatic branch of the family who'd got themselves into all sorts of financial trouble, and wasn't as bothered as others were by Philip's complicated background.

Good points. Thanks. I’d forgotten that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
She was royal from top to toe. At that time, especially after WWII it was very hard, almost impossible to find a royal husband for an heiress.

I also think Queen Mary was happy that her granddaughter found a royal match, not someone outside their circle...and of course, she knew the family well as they were related. Philip's father was nephew of Queen Alexandra, her mother in law and Philip's maternal family were descendants of Queen Victoria and were already living in Britain.

So, I think, in her eyes, she saw a perfect match, royal Prince who is not an heir to some other throne and is far in succession for the same, which could make things more complicated if he was an heir.

Thanks. Philip was certainly royal. He was, in fact, more royal than Queen. Lol Both branches of his family were.

And she did know his family well. He was connected to just about everybody somehow.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
yes, he's been in line for being Duke of Edinburgh, for many years, since his marriage. He wont get the title till Charles is king.. but for now he has both Earl of Forfar and E of Wessex...
It would be nice if the Queen made him D of E after the funeral, it seems a shame to make him wait what could be many years to receive it. Sophie and him would make a lovely Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:30 AM
Royal Highness

With respect to the grandchildren's spouses, both the Queen and the Duke were very religious and traditional. In Christian tradition, when two people marry, they become one. Many people consider the spouses of their children and grandchildren as part of their blood family. I think the list includes the Duke's immediate family and as many other members of the extended family as possible. I hope the Queen finds comfort in their presence.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don’t know why anyone is surprised to see Edo or Jack included on the list. They are as much there to support their wives on a very difficult day as they are there as members of Philip’s immediate family.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
It would be nice if the Queen made him D of E after the funeral, it seems a shame to make him wait what could be many years to receive it. Sophie and him would make a lovely Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh.
I agree that they'll make a lovely Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh when the time comes. And I truly think that Charles will be nothing short of thrilled to hand the title to his brother because I really believe that he thinks Edward deserves it and will make their father proud. That said, HM can't just give them the title. It has to merge with the Crown first and that can't happen until Charles becomes king.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
She cant'. Charles has inherited Philips title as his edlest son. When he becomes King, the title will be merged with the Crown and Charles can then recreate it..
Old 04-16-2021, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I actually thought everyone bar the Queen was going to walk behind the coffin.

In the 21st century I think it would be right for all his grandchildren walk behind - Anne is doing not why not Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise.

I really thought the eldest 4 great granchildren would have gone - they are not that young. George is a future king, this is his great grandfather and the longest consort in history.

Covid restricted a true send off

Old 04-16-2021, 10:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post

In the 21st century I think it would be right for all his grandchildren walk behind - Anne is doing not why not Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise.
Maybe the granddaughters have been given the choice and they just chose not to. Especially Zara and Eugenie have just delivered a baby.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The House of Windsor is also of German origin (the British branch of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha) as is also the royal House of Belgium. Philip belonged to the Greek branch of his house, which in turn descended from the Danish branch. It would be quite a stretch to call either one "German".
One may not call them German, as they reign in other lands outside Germany, but when a German dynasty reigns in Denmark or Greece and is for centuries intermarried almost exclusively with other German dynasties, what would you say about the ancestry of this person? Well, German one. And it's not a shame to acknowledge that. Out of Prince Philip's 128 nearest ancestors, only 3 didn't belong to a German dynasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
To make a comparison, the Bourbons are of French origin, but the Spanish Bourbons or the Italian Bourbons are not normally considered French.
I agree. But one thing is to be "considered" and the other is what it really is. They can consider themselves everything they want, but that doesn't change the fact that they are of French origin who married only to other French or German dynasties. If I live for years in Nigeria I can consider myself Nigerian, but the fact is that I am not, no matter how much I like it.

One can easily say that King Felipe is Spanish as he is the King of Spain whose ancestors also reigned in Spain, but out of his 128 nearest ancestors there is not a trace of Spanish blood which would make him Spanish in real sense of word, just blood of the French dynasty who reigned in Spain and either married fellow Bourbons or Germans and Austrians...

What I wanted to say is that he can be Spanish as he is a Spanish citizen who reigns there, but saying that he is of Spanish ancestry just because his ancestors reigned there without a drop of Spanish blood is not reality.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post
As far as a noble person is considering the question , the origin of the house is important which in Philip's case is
Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg a german house which is roots to so many.
The house is German and though the british gov did everything to minimize the fact, again a noble person will not mind to show it's roots, it's positive though wars, prejudice and personal matters of not noble person might wish differently and deny the fact.
This is true and that is why Prince Philip had to change his "surname" before the wedding as Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg sounded very German, especially after WWII.

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands had the same problem when she married Prince Claus.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I think we are making too much of who is in or out. The number was limited to 30. If Peter Philips and Earl Snowden were still with their wives or if Meghan had been cleared to travel there might have been a different list. We could sit and work out a whole range of combinations, there had to be a cut.
We have no idea who is still close and who isn't.
We also don't know who had higher priority to be invited and have declined for various reasons. I think we should remember that the list of 30 we see may not have been the *top* 30 of the original list. What we see is the finished list of people that have accepted an invitation to attend.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:52 AM
Administrator

The Wessex family was seen today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Photos ** dm article: Wessexes view public tributes to Duke of Edinburgh **

Old 04-16-2021, 10:55 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
I actually thought everyone bar the Queen was going to walk behind the coffin.

I really thought the eldest 4 great granchildren would have gone - they are not that young. George is a future king, this is his great grandfather and the longest consort in history.

Covid restricted a true send off
Yes, I think that had this funeral been held in normal times, we would have seen some of the great-grandchildren there. Perhaps, as others have suggested, there will be a memorial service at a later date when we will see a full turnout.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:59 AM
Courtier

The Earl and Countess and Lady Louise were out looking at flowers and tributes today at St. George's. I'm so glad we're seeing more and more of Louise. She seems to be a lovely girl and a credit to both her parents and the RF.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...utes-latest-vn
Old 04-16-2021, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands had the same problem when she married Prince Claus.

But he remained von Amsberg until the marriage and this is also when he got the dutch citizenship.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But he remained von Amsberg until the marriage and this is also when he got the dutch citizenship.
True, but I was thinking about the problems before the marriage because she was marrying a German:

https://www.nytimes.com/1966/03/11/a...edding-of.html

Of course, he later became one of the most respected members of the royal family.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:36 AM
Serene Highness

In a strange way, it's going to be one of those moments like the bombing of Buckingham Palace, when we see that the difficult times in which we're living affect everyone. But it's so sad that it has to be like this - getting the guest list down to 30 is difficult for anyone, the thought of the Queen sitting on her own is heartbreaking, and even everyone having to wear facemasks for the service is going to be strange.

A lot of death notices in the papers last year said that there'd be a full memorial service when restrictions allowed, and a lot of couples who got married with very few guests in attendance - doubtless Beatrice and Edo included - were planning big parties when restrictions allowed, but no-one thought it'd go on this long.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander2 View Post
Yes, I think that had this funeral been held in normal times, we would have seen some of the great-grandchildren there. Perhaps, as others have suggested, there will be a memorial service at a later date when we will see a full turnout.
I think there will be. I'm guessing at St. Paul's with the full extended family and foreign royalty present but I still don't think any great grandchildren under the age of 10 will be there.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I agree that they'll make a lovely Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh when the time comes. And I truly think that Charles will be nothing short of thrilled to hand the title to his brother because I really believe that he thinks Edward deserves it and will make their father proud. That said, HM can't just give them the title. It has to merge with the Crown first and that can't happen until Charles becomes king.
I hope that the Duke of Edinburgh awards will continue....

I would imagine that Charles giving the title to his brother would be significant not just because the title was their father’s but because Edward will have an increased workload without Harry to help the new King. I don’t mean to imply that the Scottish titles the siblings use when in Scotland aren’t meaningful or important, but everyone knows “Duke of Edinburgh” - there’s a certain cachet. I know Philip had been retired for some years, but for most of his years as consort, he was incredibly busy. It just seems right and proper that as his youngest takes his title from Charles, that Edward will be stepping in to do much more of the heavy lifting.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I hope that the Duke of Edinburgh awards will continue....

I would imagine that Charles giving the title to his brother would be significant not just because the title was their father’s but because Edward will have an increased workload without Harry to help the new King. I don’t mean to imply that the Scottish titles the siblings use when in Scotland aren’t meaningful or important, but everyone knows “Duke of Edinburgh” - there’s a certain cachet. I know Philip had been retired for some years, but for most of his years as consort, he was incredibly busy. It just seems right and proper that as his youngest takes his title from Charles, that Edward will be stepping in to do much more of the heavy lifting.
I believe Edward is already the president of the DoE awards and has made announcements concerning a bright future for the organization. It sounds like it's in safe hands!

Closed Thread