The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 07:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The funeral announcement was also updated with the guestlist. I notice the BBC changed the forms of address for some of the guests, for example changing Mrs. Mike Tindall to Zara Tindall.

Plus "Princess Beatrice of York" and "Princess Eugenie of York".

The official website of the Royal Family stuck with "Princess Eugenie, Mrs. Jack Brooksbank", "Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi", and "Mr. and Mrs. Mike Tindall".

Old 04-16-2021, 07:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
But the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent and Princess Alexandra are working members of the royal family, whereas Prince Michael of Kent is not. And as Alison H says, personal closeness may have played a part as well.

I don't think anyone disputes that the Queen has had the final word over the funeral plans; the discussion is in regard to why particular decisions were made.

The Duke of Edinburgh's death also ends the era of male consorts to reigning monarchs of sovereign states, and none now remain.

If "Russian blood" does not mean that a family lived for a long time in Russia, what does it mean?
Russian Blood IMO means the ethnic origins of a family. Its possible to live in Russia, but to come from say German.. so while one might be Russian in citizenship one's not Russian by blood...

Old 04-16-2021, 07:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Can someone explain what does Forfar mean?
It is written on the procession announcement for the funeral, before the name of Duc of York and after the Countess of Wessex
Thanks
IT is the a title recnetly given to Edward Earl of Wessex, (this was mentioned yeserday). He is Earl of Wessex and Earl of Forfar...
Old 04-16-2021, 07:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
There is major point raised by this discussion.
This point seems to be still raised for royals, but not anymore for commun people.

I explain myself. There are two major theories still applied. Jus soli and jus sanguinis. What could define your ethnicity and nationality? Where are you born and live or what is the origin of your family? And if the second applies how far behind can you go?
What about the Americans and Australian? Are they still only English or French or whatever was the homeland of the first who arrived there? I think the have the right to be just American or Australians with different origins.
Now for royals. DoE was a mixture. Yes the Danish had a German origin, nevertheless I doubt if the actual DRF would be happy to be called still German. Same for the Belgian RF.
Prince Philip comes from queen Olga, so Russian, with German mixture also.
Only a genetiste and genealogist could write down and find the percentage if his blood per origin. But the question is, how far behind you can go. All royal families were taking foreign brides, and are a huge mixture, but there is a stage the blood definition stops and the ground raised and feelings are predominant.
Can you say that BRF are still German, and Swedish still French?
Considering the special conditions he had in his life, I doubt DoE that he migh feel Greek and of course not German. If he had to feel one country, he was feeling British. Of course this is my only opinion.
As far as a noble person is considering the question , the origin of the house is important which in Philip's case is
Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg a german house which is roots to so many.
The house is German and though the british gov did everything to minimize the fact, again a noble person will not mind to show it's roots, it's positive though wars, prejudice and personal matters of not noble person might wish differently and deny the fact.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenedde View Post
The guest list was pretty much as I expected. I don't think Lady Pamela Hicks has been close to the Queen for many years. The absence of Prince Michael is interesting, given newly married in spouses of Beatrice and Eugene made the cut.
I think we are making too much of who is in or out. The number was limited to 30. If Peter Philips and Earl Snowden were still with their wives or if Meghan had been cleared to travel there might have been a different list. We could sit and work out a whole range of combinations, there had to be a cut.
We have no idea who is still close and who isn't.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I think we are making too much of who is in or out. The number was limited to 30. If Peter Philips and Earl Snowden were still with their wives or if Meghan had been cleared to travel there might have been a different list. We could sit and work out a whole range of combinations, there had to be a cut.
Im sure that they are all close but when you have to cut the numbers to 30 there are going to be people, equally loved and close, who have to be left out. Simple as that.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post
As far as a noble person is considering the question , the origin of the house is important which in Philip's case is
Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg a german house which is roots to so many.
The house is German and though the british gov did everything to minimize the fact, again a noble person will not mind to show it's roots, it's positive though wars, prejudice and personal matters of not noble person might wish differently and deny the fact.

The House of Windsor is also of German origin (the British branch of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha) as is also the royal House of Belgium. Philip belonged to the Greek branch of his house, which in turn descended from the Danish branch. It would be quite a stretch to call either one "German".

To make a comparison, the Bourbons are of French origin, but the Spanish Bourbons or the Italian Bourbons are not normally considered French.

As JR76 remarked, due to intermarriage and, I would add, the creation of new national monarchies (like Greece, Belgium, Romania or Norway), it was common for European dynastic families to ascend the throne of other countries.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

For all Aussies - the options for free-to-air TV tomorrow night from about 10.30 p.m. is very simple:

Channel 2 (ABC) The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Channel 7 The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Channel 9 The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Channel 10 The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

Sky News is also covering The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh from about 10.00 p.m. until 8.00 a.m. Sunday morning. The BBC News is also giving coverage for those with pay TV.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Im sure that they are all close but when you have to cut the numbers to 30 there are going to be people, equally loved and close, who have to be left out. Simple as that.
Exactly, just as thousands have had to do in the UK in the last year.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
But the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent and Princess Alexandra are working members of the royal family, whereas Prince Michael of Kent is not. And as Alison H says, personal closeness may have played a part as well.

I don't think anyone disputes that the Queen has had the final word over the funeral plans; the discussion is in regard to why particular decisions were made.

The Duke of Edinburgh's death also ends the era of male consorts to reigning monarchs of sovereign states, and none now remain.

If "Russian blood" does not mean that a family lived for a long time in Russia, what does it mean?
This is one situation where I don't think who is a working royal and who isn't came into it when drawing up the guestlist.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:28 AM
Courtier

Article from BBC about the modified Land Rover Defender Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh designed to carry his coffin. The Duke of Edinburgh began creating his own hearse in collaboration with Land Rover in 2003, the year he turned 82. His modifications include the open top rear section, where his coffin will rest, and the military green colour. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56771164
Old 04-16-2021, 07:35 AM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=sophie25;2391199]
Quote:
But the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent and Princess Alexandra are working members of the royal family, whereas Prince Michael of Kent is not. And as Alison H says, personal closeness may have played a part as

[/QUOTE

This is one situation where I don't think who is a working royal and who isn't came into it when drawing up the guestlist.
I would agree, it is obviously their family first, then Philips family which would include Countess Mountbatton.
The Kent's and the Gloucesters are cousins.
It is a family occasion not those who do royal duties.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Denville. It should then be so à title of Duc of York, as it is also mentioned before giving name
Quote:
IT is the a title recnetly given to Edward Earl of Wessex, (this was mentioned yeserday). He is Earl of Wessex and Earl of Forfar...
Old 04-16-2021, 07:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Thanks Denville. It should then be so à title of Duc of York, as it is also mentioned before giving name

I asked the same question in https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2390898 and received a whole string of answers.

I still find it strange and the only reason I can think of for the title being used now is that Edward is apparently the considered future Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:00 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I agree, we could spend days speculating who would have been left out if Meghan had been attending......I think the Queen has done the very best she can given the very stringent restrictions on numbers. The same as many other families have had to do over the past year - I've been to 2 family funerals (an aunt and uncle) since the limit of 30 has been in force - one had 19 attending, the other only 17.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:06 AM
Royal Highness

I asked this morning and the official word is that Windsor Castle is both in Scotland and England. Unsure if this is for the event or how it always is? As the Earl's titles are of the same rank, both have to be listed. If one outranked the other, then only that one would be mentioned - ie. the other Dukes.
I wonder if the same would have happened if the funeral was held at Westminster for example.
I was also told that those not involved in the readings and eulogy will be given their turn at the memorial later and at other memorials planned with the covid restrictions are lifted. So essential the whole family can have a supporting role somewhere, even if we are not aware of it or it is not in the press and on TV.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I asked this morning and the official word is that Windsor Castle is both in Scotland and England. Unsure if this is for the event or how it always is? As the Earl's titles are of the same rank, both have to be listed. If one outranked the other, then only that one would be mentioned - ie. the other Dukes.
I wonder if the same would have happened if the funeral was held at Westminster for example.
I was also told that those not involved in the readings and eulogy will be given their turn at the memorial later and at other memorials planned with the covid restrictions are lifted. So essential the whole family can have a supporting role somewhere, even if we are not aware of it or it is not in the press and on TV.
Now that's interesting.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I asked the same question in https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2390898 and received a whole string of answers.

I still find it strange and the only reason I can think of for the title being used now is that Edward is apparently the considered future Duke of Edinburgh.
yes, he's been in line for being Duke of Edinburgh, for many years, since his marriage. He wont get the title till Charles is king.. but for now he has both Earl of Forfar and E of Wessex...
Old 04-16-2021, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
For all Aussies - the options for free-to-air TV tomorrow night from about 10.30 p.m. is very simple:

Channel 2 (ABC) The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Channel 7 The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Channel 9 The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Channel 10 The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

Sky News is also covering The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh from about 10.00 p.m. until 8.00 a.m. Sunday morning. The BBC News is also giving coverage for those with pay TV.
Thank you! That's my Saturday night organised. Midsomer Murders at 8.30 then straight over to the BBC.

I'm a little surprised that all the free-to-air stations are covering it.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Yes see it was indeed answered yesterday see post 1229 and various replies.

Closed Thread