The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 07:01 PM
Commoner

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I take it you mean his German relatives (his mother and Mountbattens were there). It was because the Second World War ended in 1945 and the marriage took place in 1948. There were still a lot of grieving families and it would have been seen as insensitive.
Just for the sake of accuracy, their marriage took place November 1947.
Prince Charles was born a year later, in 1948.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye1850 View Post
Just for the sake of accuracy, their marriage took place November 1947.
Prince Charles was born a year later, in 1948.
Thanks for correcting me. I was commenting from memory without checking the dates first.

It would have been safer to say it was just after the war ended.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:16 PM
Majesty

No, and the sisters weren’t happy at being excluded. However their mother Alice wrote a letter of over twenty pages describing it all and Marina (who of course had been a guest) took it and visited them in Germany afterwards.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I see that the guest list has been released, it's practically as I expected it.

However, I have a question: on https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0, it says "The Earl of Wessex and Forfar" and "The Countess of Wessex and Forfar".
What does Forfar mean?
Edward is both Earl of Wessex and Forfar. The Queen gave him this title on his birthday a two years ago (probably because he has been waiting for his Scottish dukedom quite some time now; so in this way he already has a Scottish title to use when visiting Scotland). As Wessex is the older title, it will come first and Forfar second. Just like when William one day will become the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge --> Cornwall is the older peerage, so will come first.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
No, and the sisters weren’t happy at being excluded. However their mother Alice wrote a letter of over twenty pages describing it all and Marina (who of course had been a guest) took it and visited them in Germany afterwards.

I can’t blame his sisters for being upset. Philip was upset too. They did play a big part in raising him too.

Wow. That is lovely that Alice wrote such a detailed account for them.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Interesting...on purpose because of the rift?
IDK: Peter is the oldest grandchild
Old 04-15-2021, 07:36 PM
Majesty

I like the fact that Prince Philip will have a Philipp at the service: Prince Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
Thanks! I see now that it's definitely an age thing based on how everyone is ordered
Old 04-15-2021, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
That's true, lots of people making difficult decisions, but people should understand. I also do not think there is anything strange in who is there and who isn't, difficult decisions.

Totally agree.

My thoughts on the guest list: they did the best they could with a 30 person limit for a man who’d lived 99 years, had touched many many lives in the course of a very public life, and had a large family.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
Thanks! I see now that it's definitely an age thing based on how everyone is ordered

I LOVE this:

Quote:
'All the time he is saying things that are clearly inappropriate and she giggles,' he tells True Royalty TV's The Royal Beat.

'She is trying to behave herself and be all formal and then he says something, and her shoulders go up. And she is just laughing. He makes her giggle all the time, he is flirting with her all the time.'
But this confuses me. Was Philip saying that, when he was 18 and Princess Elizabeth was 13, that he expected to one day marry her? Of course he wasn't in love with a little girl (a few days ago this came up between my parents and I because they were showing clips on tv, and I said something like "of course Philip wasn't in love with her (P.E.) then - he'd have been a perv if he was", lol. Was it his uncle that was expecting this to be a match one day?

Quote:
Explaining how Prince Philip had always thought he would marry the future Queen, Jobson told the programme: 'When Philip got onto his first [Royal Navy] ship, he told the captain then that he was going to marry Princess Elizabeth, when he was 18.

'That is the weird thing, he wasn't in love with her then, but he was pretty clear about it. When did he fall in love with her? When he told Mountbatten to stop interfering.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...rt-claims.html

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this photo so much:

cool dad, teens, on a road trip (but Philip looking anywhere other than in front of him makes me go "hmmm").

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...hoto/490074197
Old 04-15-2021, 08:14 PM
Majesty

Who knows when Philip fell in love with her. It obviously wasn’t when they met at 13 and 18.

According to my bio of the Young Philip he didn’t pay that much attention to Elizabeth, but spent quite a bit of time ‘teasing plump young Margaret’. However his acrobatics over the tennis nets obviously caught Elizabeth’s eye. She was very admiring of how high he jumped. Her governess recalled that she couldn’t take her eyes off him.

I think the Greek royal family were in favour of the match for some years. So, strangely, was Queen Mary, who liked Philip. I tend to think that things got serious between the two of them during 1944 and just after when Philip was invited to spend several leaves at Windsor.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

cool dad, teens, on a road trip (but Philip looking anywhere other than in front of him makes me go "hmmm").

This is a great photo! Love it.

Quote:
Who knows when Philip fell in love with her. It obviously wasn’t when they met at 13 and 18.

According to my bio of the Young Philip he didn’t pay that much attention to Elizabeth, but spent quite a bit of time ‘teasing plump young Margaret’. However his acrobatics over the tennis nets obviously caught Elizabeth’s eye. She was very admiring of how high he jumped. Her governess recalled that she couldn’t take her eyes off him.

I think the Greek royal family were in favour of the match for some years. So, strangely, was Queen Mary, who liked Philip. I tend to think that things got serious between the two of them during 1944 and just after when Philip was invited to spend several leaves at Windsor.

I think you’re probably right about the timing of when they became serious. It makes sense. I’ve been re-reading my Young Philip book this week. They also suggest Philip was annoyed at having to essentially baby sit 2 young girls- though he obviously made quite the impression! Lol

I think the people most against the union were her father because she was so young and inexperienced, and the QM, I think, didn’t like his German background. Or his manners. Or lack thereof....

I’m not an expert on Queen Mary by any stretch, but it is interesting to me that she seemed to favor the match. Maybe she just realized, rightly, that they would complement each other.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

This photo looks to me like they are parked somewhere like the Windsor horse show.

It hasn't been mentioned yet that I have noticed, but I imagine maybe next year or when Covid restrictions allow surely there will be a big memorial service for Philip.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I imagine the only one who will ever know the answer to this is probably the Queen which is okay imo. We don't need to know everything about their relationship/marriage or any Royal for that matter.

I doubt the Queen actually "fell in love" at age 13 if you get what I mean. Probably more of a young teen girl cush on an older boy but eventually developed into something more as she got older.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
This photo looks to me like they are parked somewhere like the Windsor horse show.
This is a great photo. https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...hoto/490074197

The caption says: Prince Charles, Princess Anne and Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, arriving for a polo match in Kingston, Jamaica on 6th August 1966.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Speaking of that photo- Is anyone surprised that Anne apparently called shotgun first?! Lol
Old 04-15-2021, 11:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Speaking of that photo- Is anyone surprised that Anne apparently called shotgun first?! Lol
Truthfully, I’m not even a little bit surprised. It is Anne, after all, and I rather think she probably had a standing order for shotgun.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Truthfully, I’m not even a little bit surprised. It is Anne, after all, and I rather think she probably had a standing order for shotgun.

She probably did. Lol

It took me looking at the photo for a second time for it click in that Anne was in the front seat and to think....well- that figures!! Of course she is!
Old 04-15-2021, 11:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

This is the one I have been watching, with clips from home movies watched by the family.

It's sad to see how William and Harry were so close just a few years ago. Lovely video, thank you for sharing.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post

It hasn't been mentioned yet that I have noticed, but I imagine maybe next year or when Covid restrictions allow surely there will be a big memorial service for Philip.
The caption reads as below...and, I would think so.

Quote:
Prince Charles, Princess Anne and Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, arriving for a polo match in Kingston, Jamaica on 6th August 1966. (Photo by Ray Bellisario/Popperfoto via Getty Images/Getty Images)

Closed Thread