Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Forfar is a place in Scotland.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if everyone will sit in the choir.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:01 PM
Royal Highness

Interesting to note that on this occasion Princess Beatrice, Mrs Mapelli Mozzi and Princess Eugenie, Mrs Jack Brooksbank are used. It has also been updated on the OoS page.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

It seems that is the form of title/address the Palace use while Prince Andrew's office seem more happy with "Princess Beatrice" or Princess Beatrice of York".

I think they will all fit in the Quire. There are three rows of pews so using the 1st and 3rd will ensure adequate distance. If the congregation are going to wear masks I believe that means they may be able to technically sit within 2meters of each other under the 1m+ idea of the government which may provide a little more wiggle room.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:05 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

I find a bit strange though, that only The Earl and Countess of Wessex have their Scottish title in use on this occasion. I wonder why that is (his brothers also have Scottish titles).
Old 04-15-2021, 03:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

I find a bit strange though, that only The Earl and Countess of Wessex have their Scottish title in use on this occasion. I wonder why that is (his brothers also have Scottish titles).
Charles is only styled ”Duke of Rothesay” when he is in Scotland.

Andrew is only Earl of Inverness and William is only Earl of Strathearn when they are in Inverness and Strathearn... Same should apply for Edward so i can’t say why he is suddenly styled as ”Earl of Wessex and Forfar”
Old 04-15-2021, 03:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Charles is only styled ”Duke of Rothesay” when he is in Scotland.

Andrew is only Earl of Inverness and William is only Earl of Strathearn when they are in Inverness and Strathearn... Same should apply for Edward so i can’t say why he is suddenly styled as ”Earl of Wessex and Forfar”
Possibly because he will eventually be the DoE?
Old 04-15-2021, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent

It may just have been a mistake, or maybe as both Edwards main and Scottish title are the same - Earl of Wessex and Earl of Forfar whereas for all the other family members their Scottish title is a lower title:

Prince of Wales vs Duke of Rothesay
Duke of Cambridge vs Earl of Strathearn
Duke of York vs Earl of Inverness

I assume Edward got an Earldom as one day he will be Duke of Edinburgh so it will be a lower ranking title in time.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I see that the guest list has been released, it's practically as I expected it.

However, I have a question: on https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0, it says "The Earl of Wessex and Forfar" and "The Countess of Wessex and Forfar".
What does Forfar mean?
The Earl of Wessex is also Earl of Forfar which was granted in 2019 and is his Scottish title.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
It may just have been a mistake, or maybe as both Edwards main and Scottish title are the same - Earl of Wessex and Earl of Forfar whereas for all the other family members their Scottish title is a lower title:

Prince of Wales vs Duke of Rothesay
Duke of Cambridge vs Earl of Strathearn
Duke of York vs Earl of Inverness

I assume Edward got an Earldom as one day he will be Duke of Edinburgh so it will be a lower ranking title in time.
Ah, that might be an explanation. I was just wondering since I have never seen the combination Wessex and Forfar before.
Heck, I didn't know he had the title
Old 04-15-2021, 03:59 PM
Commoner

Echo the thoughts about Prince Michael. I’d expected the absence of Daniel Chatto, the Duke of Gloucester or having just one of Princess Margaret’s children to represent her given that he is a closer blood relative to Philip and was a pageboy. I hope he is okay.

Also glad that Anne is with Charles. I always thought that all females should have swapped places with the brothers they were displaced by when the rules were changed, but that’s another topic. Philip may also have asked that his daughter be afforded her rightful position as the second born, having a special place for her as the only daughter and the child most like him.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

It is often said that after the divorce of Margaret and Earl Snowdon the Queen and Philip invited Sarah and David to family holidays, weekends etc. I suspect they may been closer than we think or see.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I see that the guest list has been released, it's practically as I expected it.

However, I have a question: on https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0, it says "The Earl of Wessex and Forfar" and "The Countess of Wessex and Forfar".
What does Forfar mean?
Forfar's a place in Scotland. Often used in football score jokes, especially when Forfar are playing East Fife - try saying "Forfar 4 - 5 East Fife" without getting muddled!

They've all got separate Scottish titles - Charles and Camilla are the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay and William and Kate are the Earl and Countess of Strathearn. I don't know why only Edward and Sophie have been given their Scottish titles in the list, though .
Old 04-15-2021, 04:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meee View Post
Echo the thoughts about Prince Michael. I’d expected the absence of Daniel Chatto, the Duke of Gloucester or having just one of Princess Margaret’s children to represent her given that he is a closer blood relative to Philip and was a pageboy. I hope he is okay.
What we don't know is if Prince Michael was on the invite list and declined for some reason and then an alternate was added to take his place. Perhaps Daniel Chatto was added as an alternate to someone that, for some reason, had to decline the invitation to attend. We just have the finished and polished guest list as approved by the Queen. There'll be no explanations.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:17 PM
Courtier

I suspect Edward's Scottish title was added as a nice little wink and a nod toward the fact that even outside of Scotland the late Duke was always the Duke of Edinburgh (clearly a Scottish title) and that someday Edward will be the next DoE. I wouldn't honestly read too much into it. Sometimes the RF does small, inconspicuous little wink and nod type things like this.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

I was originally surprised by the inclusion of Philips German family just because of quarantine which was silly really as all they had to do was let them know in plenty of time they were invited as with Harry. But as I have seen photographs of the family with the queen taken in the last few years it is no surprise really. Also the Elizabeth at 90 documentary also included film / photographs of Philips family. Once again we are back to people assuming that the royals do not see anybody other than at public events.
Away from lockdown we have no idea who the queen and Philip would invite to visit them for weekends or during the summer at Balmoral.
Referring back to that documentary you also see how close Sarah Chatto and her brother are to the queen.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
It will be sad not to hear the full choir of St George's Chapel singing. Especially the traditional & moving Funeral Sentences by William Croft
I so agree. For me, the Sentences are always the most hauntingly beautiful part of a British Royal funeral service.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-15-2021, 04:35 PM

It's because the two Earldoms are of equal rank.
Whereas the Prince of Wales and Dukedoms are of higher rank.

Peers (whether Royal or not) always use their highest title and if they have two of the same rank they use both. For example the Duke of Buccleuch is also the Duke of Queensberry so is addressed as the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry. The same thing is happening here with Edward.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

The duchesse of Cornwall doesn’t use her higher title which is princess of Wales
Old 04-15-2021, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
The duchesse of Cornwall doesn’t use her higher title which is princess of Wales
Yeps. She chose to use Charles' *oldest* title instead.