The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 02:16 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
In my ears, it would have been very logic to cut a spouse off the list if Prince Michael really wanted to attend... He is closely related through Princess Marina and was even a page-boy at the wedding in 1947

We know that Princess Michael caught Covid-19 last year and was quite badly affected so perhaps it affected him too...

Also surprised to see no Lady Pamela Hicks among the names, but perhaps she has been adviced to not attend for health reasons... She is 91 after all
Yes I had Lady Pamela on my list of possibles, but as you say she is 91 and maybe she'd have needed to be accompanied by one of her children, which would have meant someone else having to be struck from the 30.....

Old 04-15-2021, 02:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
It is actually a logical decision, as normally person who is more important/higher in ranking will be placed at middle. In this case it ranks by age, so the higher ranking (Peter) will be in middle, while the younger (William and Harry) will be in Peter's each side. (Yes the media is going to fuss about it but it's how thing normally work.)
That didn't happen at the Queen Mother's funeral though.
The Earl of Snowdon and Peter Philipps were walking at the sides of William and Harry yet David Armstrong-Jones was both older than the two brothers and closer related to the QM.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...re-id830841630

https://c8.alamy.com/compit/aat5p7/l...bre-aat5p7.jpg

Old 04-15-2021, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
They'd talk if they were standing together as well. It's unavoidable right now unfortunately.

True. This will just inevitably be much louder since they aren’t standing together at all.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I'm very surprised indeed about Prince Michael as he was a pageboy at the Queen's wedding and it does seem a little unkind to ask his brother and sister and not him. I think it would have been nicer if the Duke of Kent alone had represented their branch of the family or to have left the Duke out and had PM and PA there as they had both been attendants at the wedding.
It's very possible that Prince Michael was invited to attend and declined due to health reasons and then his spot was filled in with someone else. It took until today to release a guest list so it's possible that both Prince Michael and Lady Pamela Hicks were honored with an invitation and declined.

As far as Peter walking between William and Harry, it makes sense to me and I'm not going to read anything into it other than Peter is the DoE's firstborn grandson.

As things progress through this week and we see the decisions the Queen has made, it makes me realize just why she's the iconic diplomat of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashal View Post
That didn't happen at the Queen Mother's funeral though.
The Earl of Snowdon and Peter Philipps were walking at the sides of William and Harry yet David Armstrong-Jones was both older than the two brothers and closer related to the QM.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...re-id830841630

https://c8.alamy.com/compit/aat5p7/l...bre-aat5p7.jpg
It could be the differences in the funerals, themselves. The Queen Mother's funeral was a full blown ceremonial funeral and, most likely, the order of precedence was followed for the family attending. With Philip's funeral on Saturday, with the limitations due to Covid, it's a small, private family funeral where precedence isn't being implemented.

We have to realize that the Queen is the one that has approved every decision made for this event. She knows what she's doing and how she and Philip wanted things to be.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:37 PM
Commoner

The Guardian newspaper has an order of procession for the walk to the chapel:
1. Coffin
2. Charles and Anne
3. Andrew and Edward
4. Harry, Peter, William
5. Tim Laurence, David Snowdon
6. The Duke's staff

The Queen to travel by car behind the procession, with presumably everyone else already in the Chapel
Old 04-15-2021, 02:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It could be the differences in the funerals, themselves. The Queen Mother's funeral was a full blown ceremonial funeral and, most likely, the order of precedence was followed for the family attending. With Philip's funeral on Saturday, with the limitations due to Covid, it's a small, private family funeral where precedence isn't being implemented.

We have to realize that the Queen is the one that has approved every decision made for this event. She knows what she's doing and how she and Philip wanted things to be.
It's a not a private family funeral, it's being classed as a royal ceremonial funeral ( the same as the Queen Mother's) but on a necessarily smaller scale. Who stands where in the procession is one of the few things that shouldn't be affected by the size of it.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Duke's Insignia, orders, decorations and medals will be placed on the altar of St Georges chapel.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:42 PM
Aristocracy

One could think it was really Philips wish to include ancestors of his sisters
as the sister were excluded from his wedding. sad that he had to die but finally
realizes to show pride about his roots, too.
farewell!
Old 04-15-2021, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander2 View Post
The Guardian newspaper has an order of procession for the walk to the chapel:
1. Coffin
2. Charles and Anne
3. Andrew and Edward
4. Harry, Peter, William
5. Tim Laurence, David Snowdon
6. The Duke's staff

The Queen to travel by car behind the procession, with presumably everyone else already in the Chapel
The order of those walking behind coffin does seem age related....which sadly will not stop unseemly gossip
Old 04-15-2021, 02:43 PM
Royal Highness

It will be sad not to hear the full choir of St George's Chapel singing. Especially the traditional & moving Funeral Sentences by William Croft
Old 04-15-2021, 02:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
It's a not a private family funeral, it's being classed as a royal ceremonial funeral ( the same as the Queen Mother's) but on a necessarily smaller scale. Who stands where in the procession is one of the few things that shouldn't be affected by the size of it.
As it is the monarch's prerogative to determine the order of precedence in the first place, I think we should just accept that the Queen made the decision of the order of procession for Saturday and it's the way she wants it to be done.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting layout, I assume in part due to some of the narrower roads/routes from the Castle to the Chapel, especially with possibly bigger spacing than usual to allow for Covid. I'm glad Anne is with Charles and not relegated to the row behind i.e. that its been done by age not line of succession.

I guess at least with Peter in the middle there won't be over analysis of their interactions etc, probably just easier all round.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Nobody is trying to hide anything. Even if they did these things get brought up by all and sundry as soon as anyone, the royals themselves included, dares to put any label on a Protestant royal that's other than German. To say that the Oldenburgs are exclusively German ignores the fact that they've been on the Danish throne for 600 years and also ignores the very complex ethnic and linguistic composition of the pre-1848 Danish realm where ethnicity, language spoken and national identity rarely went hand in hand. Philip himself identified as Danish (or Scandinavian) and that's good enough for me.
I understand you completely, but

"Philip himself never was a German, neither by citizenship nor by male-line descent."

"traditionally you are going by the father's ancestry and that was Danish."

Philip wasn't German citizen, that's fine, but his ancestry is completely German, no matter how he felt Scandinavian.

Also his ancestors in male line were German also...The didn't have Danish blood. They came from Germany to rule Denmark for 600 years and married almost exclusively German...

I always read he has Greek blood, Danish blood, British blood, just because his ancestors ruled there, but that is simply not historically true. You can say his ancestors ruled in Greece, Denmark, Russia, but not saying having blood he never actually had.

Those things are just facts, no matter how someone feels, you, me or Prince Philip.

It's fine for me to say how someone personally feels and I RESPECT THAT, but to change someone's ancestry just based on how someone "feels" about it is completely other thing. Those are things that can't be changed, no matter how someone feels.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:51 PM
Royal Highness

I see that the guest list has been released, it's practically as I expected it.

However, I have a question: on https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0, it says "The Earl of Wessex and Forfar" and "The Countess of Wessex and Forfar".
What does Forfar mean?
Old 04-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
if this is true, it is SO Philip and his last order to his family. nice!
Old 04-15-2021, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post

However, I have a question: on https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0, it says "The Earl of Wessex and Forfar" and "The Countess of Wessex and Forfar".
What does Forfar mean?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Forfar
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
As it is the monarch's prerogative to determine the order of precedence in the first place, I think we should just accept that the Queen made the decision of the order of procession for Saturday and it's the way she wants it to be done.
Yes and I am simply pointing out that it is still a televised royal ceremonial funeral and not a private family affair as was stated.
Aristocracy

Quote:

What does Forfar mean?
In Norwegian it means ancestor. forfar
Old 04-15-2021, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

What does Forfar mean?
The Queen presented Edward with a Scottish Earldom for his 55th birthday. I thought the title was only going to be used in Scotland but obviously on this occasion both are being used.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:

What does Forfar mean?
Edward was granted the title Earl of Forfar a year or so ago....so he is the Earl of Forfar and Sophie is the Countess

Closed Thread