The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 12:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see the Private Secretary mentioned?

Hmm not sure Betsy, they were side by side for the Queen Mother's procession, that's all we know and I can't see anyone coming out and saying why or giving more detail. I wonder if that part was decided before the uniforms and maybe it was to break up the direct contrast of William in uniform and Harry not - irrelevant now all will be in civilian dress.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Hmm not sure Betsy, they were side by side for the Queen Mother's procession, that's all we know and I can't see anyone coming out and saying it. I wonder if that pat was decided before the uniforms and maybe it was to break up the direct contrast of William in uniform and Harry not - irrelevant now all will be in civilian dress.
Could be...but you know that that’s going get people speculating even more !

Old 04-15-2021, 12:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Hmm not sure Betsy, they were side by side for the Queen Mother's procession, that's all we know and I can't see anyone coming out and saying why or giving more detail. I wonder if that part was decided before the uniforms and maybe it was to break up the direct contrast of William in uniform and Harry not - irrelevant now all will be in civilian dress.
Are they the three eldest grandchildren? Maybe a reason or just numbers.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:20 PM
Nobility

It was mentioned before that people who are *working* throughout this memorial service, do not count into the 30 people rule.
Maybe the private secretary and the lady in waiting are in fact *working* then and therefore dont count.
Can this be confirmed?
Old 04-15-2021, 12:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Glad to see that the dukes of Gloucester and Kent, as princess Alexandra, were not unfairly forgotten, as some members suggested.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness

No Pamela Hicks, which may be due to a few things, but is sad. Which means the only one to represent the Mountbattens is someone very close to Philip, but still an in-law?

And no Private Secretary, as already mentioned.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes - and it sounds like they are the only grandchildren walking behind the coffin. They are the only grandsons - apart from James who I can see arriving with his mother and sister rather than the very formal procession.
Seems confirmed (from Rebecca English's twitter)

*The funeral procession includes Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Edward, Prince Andrew, Prince Harry, Peter Phillips, Prince Willliam, Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, The Earl of Snowdon plus Philip’s personal protection officer, private secretary, two pages and two valets

I suspect it will be formed up as:

-his 4 children (Charles, Anne, Edward, Andrew)
-his three grandchildren (probably centre of second row) with Tim and Earl Snowndon at either end
-staff
Old 04-15-2021, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

😭😭😭😭😭😭

Quote:
At #PrincePhilip’s specific request, at the end of the funeral service @RoyalMarines buglers will sound “Action Stations”, the announcement made on a Naval warship that all those serving on board should go to their battle stations
https://twitter.com/royanikkhah/stat...619141635?s=21
Old 04-15-2021, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

https://twitter.com/i/status/1382726493504159745

The modified Land Rover that will carry Philip's coffin
Old 04-15-2021, 12:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katymcwaity View Post
Are they the three eldest grandchildren? Maybe a reason or just numbers.
They are the three older grandsons, not grandchildren, as Zara is older than William and Harry.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Nice to see The Dukes of Kent and Gloucester along with Princess Alexandra were not forgotten.

Glad to see all his grand children are attending, although bit sad that James isn't walking with the coffin. He is quite young to be fair. I also think it’s lovely that Tim is walking in the procession as he’s not a blood relative but obviously meant a lot to Philip. Did he walk with the Queen Mother’s procession?

It will be sad to see the Queen sit alone but I’m sure it will be a beautiful ceremony.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Glad to see that the dukes of Gloucester and Kent, as princess Alexandra, were not unfairly forgotten, as some members suggested.
But their spouses are forgotten - from the list, I see there was no way to include them.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

It haven't read anywhere that James is waking with the coffin?
Old 04-15-2021, 12:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1382726493504159745

The modified Land Rover that will carry Philip's coffin
I’m already emotional...💔💔💔
Old 04-15-2021, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It haven't read anywhere that James is waking with the coffin?
According to Twitter he is not walking with the coffin; he’s going to arrive with his mum and sister. I imagine it’s because he is quite young or it’s personal choice?
Old 04-15-2021, 12:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post

Glad to see all his grand children are attending, although bit sad that James isn't walking with the coffin. He is quite young to be fair.
Maybe he wanted to? Not to feel excluded because of the fact of being under age.
He is in fact the same age as his cousin Harry while walking behind his mother's coffin.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Retired military can wear uniforms unless the dresscode requests the guests to appear in "jacquet" (morning coat) or even just in "suit and tie", then also retired officers are expected to appear in civil wear.

We do not know the dresscode yet.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
According to Twitter he is not walking with the coffin; he’s going to arrive with his mum and sister. I imagine it’s because he is quite young or it’s personal choice?
Maybe it was decided that James is too young. He is 13yrs old.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:45 PM
Serene Highness

Nice to see all wings of Prince Philips birth family being represented (except the Greek and Danish Royal Houses but with the 30 person limit there simply wasn’t seats for everyone)

Though i must admit i am a bit surprised that UK still does the old school order of procession with only males (apart from Princess Anne) walking behind the coffin... Even Luxembourg had abandoned that by the time of Grand Duke Jean’s funeral....

But i won’t complain anymore now.. I’m sure the service will be very moving and a fitting farewell to the longest serving Prince Consort ever
Old 04-15-2021, 12:46 PM
Courtier

How about his granddaughters, why are they not also walking behind the coffin?

Closed Thread