The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 03:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post

I believe the only people who've made it "about Harry's ego" in regards to the uniform are the tabloids. As far as I've seen, there's only been reports of Andrew actively complaining about not being able to wear the uniform he wanted.
The tabloids and other media sources were the ones saying it was all about Andrew's ego as well. The sources I saw said *both* wanted to wear uniforms so I don't think we can completely discard the idea that it's being done to appease both men. I feel I can state that Harry has been shown to have a certain sense of entitlement from his own lips in recent weeks. But who knows what's actually going on.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Correct me if I'm wrong on this but isn't it the *honorary* official military ranks that Harry no longer holds? Wouldn't it still be appropriate for him to wear the uniform of a Captain in the Army which was his rank when he left active service?

Andrew wanted to wear an Admiral's uniform and he's not been "officially" brought up to that rank. It was put on hold due to the mess with Epstein at the time of his 60th birthday. He does, however, hold the rank of Vice Admiral.

Perhaps its best none of them wear uniforms at all. I like Marge's thinking that the Queen would feel the loss greater as Philip usually accompanied her wearing a military uniform.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:25 AM
Serene Highness

Just to go back to Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse, I was reading something about the Hesse-Cassels recently (after watching a rather bizarre TV programme which claimed that George VI sent a spy to retrieve correspondence between the Hesse-Cassels and the Duke of Windsor - I think some people have over-active imaginations) and Prince Philip's supposed to have been named after the grandfather of Donatus. So they must all have been quite close, even before the Hesse-Cassels merged with the Hesse-Darmstadts, so to speak.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

If it is true that all the men will wear suit and tie to appease certain members of the family (a bit if, tabloids are tabloids) then I think it is a real shame. Philip served in the navy and always seemed very committed and proud to the regiments he represented. I feel like he would have preferred uniforms.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe part of the issue is that "ordinary service personnel" aren't permitted to wear their uniforms once they leave active service, just the medals they have earned on civilian dress. E.g. my father was in the military for 35 years and wears his medals on Remembrance Day but doesn't have and wouldn't be allowed to wear his old uniforms (of any type). I suspect the same is true for Harry - he couldn't wear his uniform from active service as its not permitted and he has given up his honorary roles so can't wear that either.
The issue with Andrew was that he wanted to wear the uniform of Admiral, an appointment he didn't take up as it would have been offered on his 60th birthday but that was the height of the Epstein and Newsnight interview drama so it was said it would be deferred until /when he returned to royal duties.

While I can see why the decision has been taken for all the family to wear civilian clothes, and it will have been signed off by HM and what she decides who can argue with, I do think its a shame that they won't be in military uniform when Philip so much wanted a military funeral. I know it will still be a military funeral with plenty of military personnel there and who knows Philip's feelings on his family wearing uniform for honorary ranks but it just sits uncomfortably with me that Philip would likely have expected them to wear uniforms and now they aren't, becoming one of the only ceremonial royal funerals to be in civilian dress. So much has had to change already to meet Covid rules it would have been nice to keep as much else the same as Philip would have thought. Anyway HM I'm sure could have done without it and no one can argue with her. I'd have love to have known what Philip would have said about it

It's lovely that his sisters side of the family will be well represented too. I do think this means we won't see all "the royal family" in attendance. We should get a list of who is attending a some point today so we'll know soon enough.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Donatus' father was the adopted son of Louis & Peg Hesse (Louis was the brother-in-law of Philip's sister Cecile) who were both very close to Philip and his family. Donatus told a British newspaper (I can't remember which) about frequent private visits to the Windsors in the UK during the State visit to Germany where he had been invited to an official dinner in Frankfurt together descendants of Philip's sisters so it seems that he is considered family.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Note that, alike the late Prince Philip, Prince Andrew and Prince Harry are the only ones whom have seen active combat indeed.

In principle, like any (retired) military, they have the right to wear an uniform for ceremonial purposes indeed, if the dresscode says so.

We can witness plenty of ceremonial events in which retired officers wear their uniform indeed, think about annual regimental dinners, about regimental jubilees or weddings e.d. They then have a small R ("reitred") below the badge of rank.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:21 AM
Heir Apparent

If that is the case the solution seems easy - Harry should wear the uniform of Captain, The Blues and Royals and Andrew should wear the uniform of Commander in the Royal Navy.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
In the U.S only people over 65 and those at high risk are being vaccinated at the moment. Although every state is a bit different.
That’s not true at all....vaccinations nationwide have been rolling out swiftly, by now pretty much everyone is eligible
Old 04-15-2021, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Let's move on from discussing Covid-19 vaccinations in the US or anywhere else - it has no essential bearing on the topic. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
If that is the case the solution seems easy - Harry should wear the uniform of Captain, The Blues and Royals and Andrew should wear the uniform of Commander in the Royal Navy.
That is what i think too. Would be a pity if no one can wear an Uniform because of this too. And then there would be the Issue what to do at future Events like the coronation of Charles orther (hopefully not for some years) funeral of HM.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong on this but isn't it the *honorary* official military ranks that Harry no longer holds? Wouldn't it still be appropriate for him to wear the uniform of a Captain in the Army which was his rank when he left active service?

I believe one doesn't wear uniform after leaving the service, unless one holds an honorary rank.

I have never been in the military though, so I may be wrong. Practice may also vary from country to country.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I love how the queen is looking at Charlotte (and baby Charlotte at her) in this picture.
Wonderful photo and so hard to pick a favourite from the recent one's released.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:01 AM
Aristocracy

The photo of the Queen smiling at baby Charlotte (and Charlotte looking at her ) is a treasure.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:15 AM
Royal Highness

Nice to see Edward thanking people for the sentiments been left on the DOE site and social media. The DOE and their international bodies were overwhelmed by people who wished to pay their respects through the organization that it was sit up this week rather fast. There have also been called for participants to wear their badges on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...19108617949185

There has also been a 50% increase of applications on the main DOE site to the award scheme. Notable in BAME communities, as well as an increase of over 200% people seeking more information for school, social club participation. The DOE Awards have also thanked people for donations which have been pouring in worldwide.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles and Camilla have been to look at the flowers and other tributes left at Buckingham Palace gates. They were moved to the grounds of Malborough House where they have been laid out.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ugh-House.html

Video clip here: https://twitter.com/i/status/1382639079259582471
Old 04-15-2021, 06:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Charles and Camilla have been to look at the flowers and other tributes left at Buckingham Palace gates. They were moved to the grounds of Malborough House where they have been laid out.
A lovely tribute from the public, Charles and Camilla.

Thank you for posting the link Tommy.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
That is what i think too. Would be a pity if no one can wear an Uniform because of this too. And then there would be the Issue what to do at future Events like the coronation of Charles orther (hopefully not for some years) funeral of HM.
It really will be a pity if wearing uniforms goes by the wayside at future events after this. Hopefully they'll be able to at HM's funeral at least.

It's really great that interest in the DOE awards has gone up, it's really worthwhile.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Section 4 - Army Dress Regulations - All Ranks

Officers not in Actual Military Service.

Officers in the categories listed at (a), (b) and (c) above who are not in actual military service may wear uniform on the occasions listed below:

I) Parades in connection with the official birthday of the Sovereign.

II) Royal and State Ceremonials.

III) Ceremonies in connection with Remembrance Day.

IV) Regimental functions or celebrations at a military station, with the approval of the regimental authority concerned.

V) Occasions in connection with which an announcement regarding the wearing of uniform is made by the Ministry of Defence beforehand.

vi) Other occasions, on application to the Ministry of Defence PS12(A).

https://assets.publishing.service.go...2017-03109.pdf
Old 04-15-2021, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Video clip here: https://twitter.com/i/status/1382639079259582471
The flowers and tributes a have all been set out so beautifully and with such care and attention - I find this a much better way to lay out floral tributes than to see just a few flowers amongst all the wrapping.