The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
^^^If that is the case, good luck to whoever tells Anne she isn't walking behind her father's coffin...

As for no uniforms, well if that is HM's command so be it but all I will say if that for a man so proud of his military links as Philip it smacks of pleasing two rather petulant Princes over everyone else
I think it’s more likely that HM just didn’t have any stomach for it, and I don’t blame her.

On a positive note, several of Philip’s German relatives will be at funeral. This is a lovely article ...how wondering that he was so close to them

Quote:
All these families enjoy so many precious recollections of the 'Uncle Philip', who thought nothing of popping over to Germany for a christening or a landmark birthday party for the offspring and relatives of his older sisters.

They were the kind-hearted, glamorous quartet of princesses who had doted on their boisterous little brother through an often troubled childhood.

The Duke never forgot that, as I learnt from Prince Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg earlier this year when I was researching the Duke's European family.

'It was such a joy having a conversation with him. His memory was extraordinary,' he explained. 'He could remember playing hide-and-seek in the castle when he was a boy, and he always enjoyed talking to the local people.

'He could switch from German to English and back, whether he was talking about Winston Churchill or the local wildlife.'

In recent days, quite properly, all the focus has been on the tremendous sadness felt by the Queen, the Royal Family and the Duke's vast network of friends and organisations.

But his death has also left a huge hole among the broader continental cousinhood, who all adored the energetic, unstuffy uncle, great-uncle and cousin who always made a beeline for his younger relatives to hear their latest news.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-funeral.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Is that 9 am EDT ?
It would have to be since that’s 2 PM in Windsor (plus, my cable guide in tv says 9 am - or 9:30 depending on network; I would never watch Fox)

Old 04-14-2021, 06:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Is that 9 am EDT ?
I can’t say for sure since I haven’t seen the announcement but I imagine so. 3 pm in the UK is 9 am here in the midwest and 10 am eastern and it would make sense that they’d start an hour beforehand so 9 EST/8 CST.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:15 PM
Serene Highness

It's all just speculation, but it would be rather nice for members of his sisters' families to be there.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It's all just speculation, but it would be rather nice for members of his sisters' families to be there.
It’s not speculation - see the article; the relatives are already quarantining
Old 04-14-2021, 06:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I've just seen it announced on Fox News here that they'll start coverage of the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh starting at 9 AM Saturday. I imagine that other channels will be following suit.

From everything I've read, it will be Charles that leads the procession from Windsor Castle to St. George's Chapel walking behind the Duke's coffin. I imagine that William and Harry will walk with Charles and the rest of the family will follow. Much like we saw them all walking over to the Chapel from the castle for Harry's wedding.
But why not the children on the first row? I don't see why the first row wouldn't be the duke's four children. William can 'lead' the grandchildren, just like Charles 'leads' the children (by walking in the middle position).

I don't know how they would go about the in-laws; whether they will walk as well or that they'll leave the procession to his descendants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Good!I guess everyone will have to redo their predictions for who's in the group of 30 now, or wait until tomorrow when those attending are announced anyway.
That's a wonderful surprise; I assume they have also arrived in the UK last weekend to meet quarantining regulations.

In that case I wonder whether they will leave most of the queen's cousins out and focus on his direct descendants and spouses (20), private secretary (1), Margaret's children (3), German nieces/nephews (3), Countess Mountbatten of Birma, Lady Pamela Hicks and The Duke of Kent (to represent the rest of the wider royal family) (3).

My guess for representatives from the German side of the family would be that there'll be 1 representative of each of his sisters (as Cecilie has no living descendants due to the plane crash; and early death of their surviving daughter). I picked his nephews and niece - but if they are considered too old to travel the families might send a younger family member - of course a younger family member might also join them to the UK without attending the funeral itself:
  • Prince Georg of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (only living child of his eldest sister Margarita)
  • Prince Maximillian of Baden OR Prince Ludwig of Baden (sons of his second sister Theodora)
  • Prince Karl of Hesse OR Prince Rainer of Hesse OR Princess Clarissa of Hesse (remaining children of his fourth sister Sophie)
Old 04-14-2021, 06:30 PM
Courtier

For U.S Networks:
NBC start coverage at 9:30 am ET
CBS start coverage at 9:30 am ET
CNN and ABC will start coverage at 9 am ET
MSNBC will start Saturday Morning. No time is given but presumably, before 9:30 I imagine.

I stay away from CBS, will be anchored by Gayle King. I find NBC has the best coverage when comes to these kinds of events.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
That's a wonderful surprise; I assume they have also arrived in the UK last weekend to meet quarantining regulations.

In that case I wonder whether they will leave most of the queen's cousins out and focus on his direct descendants and spouses (20), private secretary (1), Margaret's children (3), German nieces/nephews (3), Countess Mountbatten of Birma, Lady Pamela Hicks and The Duke of Kent (to represent the rest of the wider royal family) (3).

Yep I think that list maybe it. Only thing that might be different is maybe Daniel Chatto might not be there so that Ashley Hicks can help his mother I think someone said she is in a wheelchair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post

My guess for representatives from the German side of the family would be that there'll be 1 representative of each of his sisters (as Cecilie has no living descendants due to the plane crash; and early death of their surviving daughter). I picked his nephews and niece - but if they are considered too old to travel the families might send a younger family member - of course a younger family member might also join them to the UK without attending the funeral itself:
  • Prince Georg of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (only living child of his eldest sister Margarita)
  • Prince Maximillian of Baden OR Prince Ludwig of Baden (sons of his second sister Theodora)
  • Prince Karl of Hesse OR Prince Rainer of Hesse OR Princess Clarissa of Hesse (remaining children of his fourth sister Sophie)

The article in the Daily Mail lists who the three are. Princesses Margarita and Theodora’s grandsons and the heir to the Hesse Family. They are isolating at a house near Ascot.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
For U.S Networks:
MSNBC will start Saturday Morning. No time is given but presumably, before 9:30 I imagine.

I stay away from CBS, will be anchored by Gayle King. I find NBC has the best coverage when comes to these kinds of events.
Thanks! I really would prefer to watch a British news coverage as I have no faith that any US network will show the appropriate restraint. I expect them to blather on about Harry and Meghan, and Philip’s gaffes. No American journalist covering this knows anything about the BRF.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
For U.S Networks:

Thank you! I was just planning to settle in this evening and look up this information. And I agree, NBC usually does a pretty good job with these kinds of things but definitely avoid CBS. If you can watch on BBC or BBC America I would but if not then definitely NBC or MSNBC.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Robert Hardman is reporting that 3 of the Duke’s sister’s family members will be attending the funeral.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-funeral.html

Attachment 302526
I was correct about Philip's sisters' descendants attending the service!
Old 04-14-2021, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Thanks! I really would prefer to watch a British news coverage as I have no faith that any US network will show the appropriate restraint. I expect them to blather on about Harry and Meghan, and Philip’s gaffes. No American journalist covering this knows anything about the BRF.

Why I didn’t think about until now.....IDK. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does anyone know if someone would still have to self-isolate when travelling into the UK if they've been vaccinated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Assuming the "no uniforms" bit is true, that's a shame especially since it's not supposed to be about Andrew and Harry's egos. And a definitely shame HM had to be dragged into it. Again I guess we'll wait and see.
I believe the only people who've made it "about Harry's ego" in regards to the uniform are the tabloids. As far as I've seen, there's only been reports of Andrew actively complaining about not being able to wear the uniform he wanted.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:15 PM
Courtier

If the No Uniforms guidelines are true, fine. A good solution. It keeps the focus on HM and the passing of the DoE.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:23 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
You’re absolutely right; I was aghast years ago when an American journalist identified Prince Philip as “the King” ~ it was at a Windsor wedding, perhaps Peter Phillips?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Does anyone know if someone would still have to self-isolate when travelling into the UK if they've been vaccinated?

Yes there are no current dispensations for people who are vaccinated.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really like the fact that all official flags in Denmark will be on half-mast on saturday on command of HM queen Margrethe, because she wants to highlight the fact that Philip was a prince of Denmark, too. Even though his sisters had married into former reigning families of Germany, Philip himself never was a German, neither by citizenship nor by male-line descent. His father was a Greek and Danish prince, his mother a British princess from a family who had given up their German roots to stick with Britain. Plus the family Alice was from, a minor branch of the Hesse-family, was in their male-line descent a family from the "Middle Realm", the empire Charlemagne's son Lothar had inherited which went in-between France and Germany from Flanders and the Netherlands down to Rome. Their founder had, during Lothar's reign, kidnapped one of Lothar's daughters and married her, thus founding a family who for more than1100 years held reigning positions throughout Europe.
That's the Battenberg/Mountbatten-descent and something Philip could have been proud of, I believe. But traditionally you are going by the father's ancestry and that was Danish (though of course with German blood through the princesses who had married into the family).
Old 04-14-2021, 07:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Why I didn’t think about until now.....IDK. Thanks for pointing that out.
You're welcome! Unfortunately, I don't think BBC America will cover it, so it looks like it's the least worst.......... CNN is out, so since I already watch MSNBC, that's probably it. It depends, though, on which Royal Reporters are covering which networks...I'll pretty much watch the network that has my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye1850 View Post
You’re absolutely right; I was aghast years ago when an American journalist identified Prince Philip as “the King” ~ it was at a Windsor wedding, perhaps Peter Phillips?
Oh brother.........and what I'm really worried about is that our media savaged the BRF and the institution as a whole during the Oprah mess; I'm afraid their latent hate for the Monarchy will emerge in their condescending, arrogant attitudes. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
Wouldn't Harry have been entitled to wear one as a retired/former Captain? I think the bigger issue is that Andrew apparently wants the Admiral rank instead of his current rank.
What is his current rank? Is it lower or higher ?
Old 04-14-2021, 08:26 PM
Courtier

This might be inappropriate here, but may I ask, did HM and the DoE have a song? The kind of song associated with their courtship and /or marriage?

I know The Queen has always like "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square", but I don't know if that was the song they both liked. She also liked songs from "Oklahoma" too, again, I don't know what The Duke liked.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
What is his current rank? Is it lower or higher ?
Well, seeing as Admiral is the highest rank in the Navy...

He's either a Rear Admiral or a Vice-Admiral, I can't recall which. One of the articles linked yesterday went into detail about his current rank.

FYI - Fox and Fox News are sister networks of Sky/Sky News, so chances are whatever coverage Fox has of the funeral will be a simulcast instead of using US anchors. I am fairly certain that's what they did when they covered the royal weddings in the last decade.

Closed Thread