The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 08:20 AM
Serene Highness

30 people for a funeral. I would think it'll be announced that no politicians or other officials will be attending: I doubt that any of them would want to take up a place that could go to one of Prince Philip's loved ones, and, if they asked Boris, they'd probably have to ask Keir Starmer (the leader of the Opposition) too, and maybe also Nicola Sturgeon (the Scottish First Minister) and the leaders of the other parties.

Sadly, a lot of families have recently been in this very difficult position of making a list and having to decide who can come and who can't, and that job will now fall to the Queen and maybe to Prince Charles. Maybe there'll be a memorial service at Westminster Abbey at a later date.

I hope someone's with the Queen, unless she prefers to be alone. We're not officially supposed to be going into other people's homes at the moment, but surely comforting a 95-year-old lady who's just lost her husband of over 70 years would be allowed on compassionate grounds.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have just woken up and read this. I had so hoped he would see his 100th birthday in a couple of months. I am heartbroken for HMQ but what a life she and the DoE lived together.

RIP to HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. He was an original to the very end.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-09-2021, 08:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
30 people for a funeral. I would think it'll be announced that no politicians or other officials will be attending: I doubt that any of them would want to take up a place that could go to one of Prince Philip's loved ones, and, if they asked Boris, they'd probably have to ask Keir Starmer (the leader of the Opposition) too, and maybe also Nicola Sturgeon (the Scottish First Minister) and the leaders of the other parties.

Sadly, a lot of families have recently been in this very difficult position of making a list and having to decide who can come and who can't, and that job will now fall to the Queen and maybe to Prince Charles. Maybe there'll be a memorial service at Westminster Abbey at a later date.

I hope someone's with the Queen, unless she prefers to be alone. We're not officially supposed to be going into other people's homes at the moment, but surely comforting a 95-year-old lady who's just lost her husband of over 70 years would be allowed on compassionate grounds.
Andrew, Sarah and Eugenie are very nearby.
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Very sad news today. But what a life and what a man. I will always remember the support he gave to his grandsons walking behind the coffin.

Absolutely adored by his grandchildren. I will always remember Beateice, with tears in her eyes, saying 'my grandfather.' A symbol.of indominatable duty.
Me too. My heart hurts for her.
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Well sadly it isn't. 30 people given the pandemic and the idea that limited movement of people is needed.
HM is very wel aware of that,thank you,hence my reply,it is up to HM who will attend.

But it is sad he passed in these covid times and no guests travelling from abroad to add
to the gravitas of his funerary ceremonies is sad.He deserved a full farewell.

But maybe later there will be a Memorial Service when travelling and such is safer.
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think if any of Philip's side of the family will be represented at the actual funeral and burial, it would probably be Countess Mountbatten of Burma, Penelope Knatchbull. She was very close friends with Philip and they both had a great love for carriage driving.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Just a quick list of 30:

1. The Queen
2. Charles
3. William
4. George ???
5. Harry ???
6. Andrew
7. Beatrice
8. Eugenie
9. Edward
10. Louise
11. James
12. Anne
13. Peter
14. Savannah
15. Isla
16. Zara
17. Mia ???
18. The Duke of Kent (his mother was Philip's first cousin)
19. Prince Michael of Kent
20. Princess Alexandra
21. Lady Pamela Mountbatten - maternal first cousin
22. The Countess of Burma

I haven't included Charlotte as she may be regarded as too young.

I haven't included any partners but if the partners are included then that would be another 11 and would exceed the 30 allowed.

The ??? beside Harry are due to the quarantine restrictions for someone coming from the US.

I think they will have the barest minimum next week and a full state memorial service when covid is over.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:25 AM
Majesty

how very sad. i am sure the RF is devastated. philip was such a devoted companion to the queen over such a long period of time, she couldn't have hoped for a better life partner.

i feel specially sorry this has occured after H&Ms interview. the last few days that must have been sad and stressful for him, having to see the aftermath of this. but one thing that makes me happy is that his two latest great grandchildren were named after him, specially important after he underwent surgery and was poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
Currently for a funeral 30 people are allowed, social distancing of course (if they don't live together or share a bubble).

Possibly it will be televised to avoid crowds gathering? Maybe?
how inconvenient, i am sure many of the public would have liked the occasion to show their respects.

i wonder who the 30 people will be, but one can assume that at least all his children and grandchildren and their partners will be able to attend. wonder if H&M will fly over from USA.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

What a terrible loss. After his recent hospital stay I feared the worst, and he looked so very frail in the most recent photos. But when the sad news comes it still hits you hard. He has always been there beside the Queen, supporting her and the monarchy, being a rock for her to rely on.

May he rest in peace.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:27 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Terrible news - devastated for the Queen ahead of what should have been a few months of celebration for them (her 95th and his 100th)

He has served the UK and Commonwealth for many decades and had a great sense of duty and loyalty to the Crown - the like of which we will never see the again.

His years in the Navy and his record during WW2 should also be highlighted at this time and not forgotten.

This is especially hard at this time during Covid - he can't have the funeral he deserved and the public will not have the same opportunity they would have to show their gratitude for his service and to their support to the Queen.

I remember when I completed my own Duke of Edinburgh and I met him during my Gold presentation - he had an amazing ability to put us all at ease, crack jokes and show interest in the activities we had completed

Old 04-09-2021, 08:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Tributes being paid to Prince Philip at BP

https://twitter.com/sangitalal/statu...045751809?s=21
Old 04-09-2021, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Is the Nr. of 30 fix. I guess the Funeral will be at St. Georg's Chapel and there it would surely be possible to allow more people also with Covid-restrictions such as seating apart and wearing maks.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:30 AM
Courtier

If only 30 people are allowed I wonder if it will be a public funeral at all. If anyone deserved a public funeral it's him.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Is the Nr. of 30 fix. I guess the Funeral will be at St. Georg's Chapel and there it would surely be possible to allow more people also with Covid-restrictions such as seating apart and wearing maks.
Would it be a good look? and I would imagine it would be at the chapel where Beatrice married.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It's been said that when a man dies, he holds in his hands only that which he has given away. Over his 99 years on our Earth, Philip not only gave his all to his wife and his family but to his nation and beyond that to the world. His hands were full to capacity.

The light shines a little dimmer in this world today as we mourn the passing of a great man and humanitarian. He will never be forgotten.
I needed that reminder. Thank you. We can smile because he happened not weep because it’s over. It never is anyway, and I am sure HM knows that love never dies.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Just a quick list of 30:

1. The Queen
2. Charles
3. William
4. George ???
5. Harry ???
6. Andrew
7. Beatrice
8. Eugenie
9. Edward
10. Louise
11. James
12. Anne
13. Peter
14. Savannah
15. Isla
16. Zara
17. Mia ???
18. The Duke of Kent (his mother was Philip's first cousin)
19. Prince Michael of Kent
20. Princess Alexandra
21. Lady Pamela Mountbatten - maternal first cousin
22. The Countess of Burma

I haven't included Charlotte as she may be regarded as too young.

I haven't included any partners but if the partners are included then that would be another 11 and would exceed the 30 allowed.

The ??? beside Harry are due to the quarantine restrictions for someone coming from the US.

I think they will have the barest minimum next week and a full state memorial service when covid is over.
I highly doubt that his children in law won't be there. Or indeed that Sarah and David won't be there.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
If only 30 people are allowed I wonder if it will be a public funeral at all. If anyone deserved a public funeral it's him.
I suspect it will be a quiet funeral with a large memorial service next year.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I was also think St George's Chapel Windsor as its so private and possibly a public memorial service at a later date?
Old 04-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Majesty

Saw a little on Twitter and it was rude, vile and disrespectful. It broke my heart that a man who has literally spent his life in service to King and country and 74+years as consort and, by her own words, quite simply the strength and stay of his wife Elizabeth, our Queen.

Regardless of his age I feel she must be breaking her heart at his loss and the knowledge she will truly be alone for the rest of her life. His children and grandchildren must be devastated because there have always been "their parents and grandparents" and now there is just Mama or Granny and a pandemic that will make it differcult to even see him off in the style he wanted, let alone the style the Country and Commonwealth needed.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Serene Highness

The Prime Minister of Australia Scott Morrison has released a statement (via twitter) on the death of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyh1GVOV...jpg&name=large

The Speaker of the House of Lords (of the UK), The Rt Hon. Lord Fowler has also release a statement on twitter.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyiEJPDX...jpg&name=small

Closed Thread