Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i just saw this. I had been avidly hoping that he would be able to make it to 100. He had such a long life and although it was not an easy life in many places, especially in his formative years, he left such an amazing legacy. I'm glad that two of his great-grandsons, born this year, were honored in carrying on his name as part of theirs.

Is the Nr. of 30 fix. I guess the Funeral will be at St. Georg's Chapel and there it would surely be possible to allow more people also with Covid-restrictions such as seating apart and wearing maks.

30 is fixed for all in the UK,no exceptions.And certainly he wouldn t want to hear of any exception of the rule for him.

He loved his queen, he worked hard for his ( adopted ) country, he was a solid, tender support to U. K. Head of State fulfilling her duties as a reigning queen. He earned his right to be mentioned in history.
May he rest in peace and live forever in the hearts of those he loved.
My condolences to the family. My deppest simpathies for Her Majesty the Queen, a woman who, lost, today, the love of her life...
:royalscotland: :royalscotland: :royalscotland:

Has a cause of death been released?

I am deeply sad for the loss of a very respectable senior lady and her whole family. I am also sad because I remember my loved grandfather and grandmother that belonged to the same admirable generation of this extraordinary man.
I send my condolences to the Nation and the Queen for the loss of a man that learned (very painfully, I suspect) to play the second fiddle with dignity, grace e purpose, never loosing himself while doing that. Extraordinarily done Prince Phillip! Rest in peace!

Last edited:
Interesting how the Dutch royal family includes the former monarch in their statement, while the Belgian message only was in name of the current head of state and his wife.

Regarding funeral plans...

I love the name Operation Forth Bridge

It's believed that he will have a military funeral rather than a state one, with a private service at St George's Chapel.

However the plans may have to be changed due to the Covid restrictions, which currently mean only 30 people are allowed to attend.

It's believed that organisers will keep the procession to a minimum to avoid crowds gathering.

While many of Britain's monarchs and consorts are buried in Westminster Abbey and St George's Chapel, Philip is likely to have picked a more private location. It's likely to be Frogmore Gardens, which is close to where he spent the lockdown with the Queen.

The Queen will enter eight days of mourning, during which laws will not be given the Royal Assent and affairs of state will be put on pause in a sign of respect.

Just watching Dr John Sentamu (retired Archbishop of York) talk about his "friend and brother" the DofE talking about having their shared sense of humour at events both discussing things like comparing Jesus turning water into wine to Uri Geller's spoon bending. :lol:

Last edited:
Well, this was certainly news I had been dreading. I had so hoped he'd make it to 100 as this seemed exactly the sort of thing this man with a backbone of steel would have enjoyed being able to say he had accomplished or achieved or checked off his list. He will certainly be missed. My deepest condolences to Her Majesty and family.

And of course they are very close. I found Margrethe's contribution to the Queens 90 documentary one of the most moving along with Sarah Chatto.

It is interesting that the Danish royal house noted that Philip was born a "Prince of Greece and Denmark" ( a title he had to renounce in the UK) and that he was a great-grandchild of King Christian IX, as are also the Queen and other living European royals (Albert II of Belgium , Harald V of Norway, Constantine II of Greece, Queen Sofia, and, of course, Queen Margrethe II herself).

Interesting how the Dutch royal family includes the former monarch in their statement, while the Belgian message only was in name of the current head of state and his wife.

Indeed, especially considering that, as I noted above, Prince Philip was King Albert's third cousin.

Princess Beatrix clearly had a personal relationship with the Queen and Prince Philip and that is probably why she was included in the statement. I don't think Albert and Paola are close to the British Royal Family.

Last edited:
According to Inzamam Rashid (Sky News North of England Correspondent) with information from College of Arms, the funeral will not be a state funeral with no Lying-in-State. His Royal Highness's body will lie at rest in Windsor Castle ahead of the funeral at St. George Chapel. This was in line with the customs and His Royal Highness's wish. In accordance to COVID-19 restrictions, it regretfully requested that the members of the public do not attempt to attend or participate any events in the funeral.
Inzamam Rashid @inzyrashid
Some information on the funeral for #PrincePhilip released by the College of Arms.
11:15 PM · Apr 9, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyiOVnPWEAI95XU?format=jpg&name=900x900

Last edited:
My heart and prayers go out to his family. Even though it was probably expected, it still must have been a shock for them.

Not unexpected but still very sad. I hurt for the family and the Queen.

Although not entirely unexpected due to age and frail appearance, his death will bring much sorrow to his wife, and family and country.

My prayers are with Her Majesty the Queen.

I'm sorry he has passed. He was one of my favorite members of the British Royal family. What an interesting life he led. And he led it with determination and panache! Rest in Peace.

"Dear Aunt Lilibet,

We have been deeply saddened by the news of the passing of our dear Uncle Philip.

In these painful moments, we want to convey our deepest condolences on behalf of the Government and the Spanish people, as well as all our closeness and support.

We will never forget the occasions we were able to share with him and the legacy of service and dedication to the Crown and the United Kingdom that he has always played by your side.

Our thoughts and prayers are with your majesty and with the entire family.

With all our love and affection, Felipe and Letizia."

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...ue-edimburgo-reyes-telegrama-lilibet_3027704/

I feel so bad for Her Majesty. She is probably so devastated. The shots of Windsor Castle, ahhh!

"Dear Aunt Lilibet,

We have been deeply saddened by the news of the passing of our dear Uncle Philip.

In these painful moments, we want to convey our deepest condolences on behalf of the Government and the Spanish people, as well as all our closeness and support.

We will never forget the occasions we were able to share with him and the legacy of service and dedication to the Crown and the United Kingdom that he has always played by your side.

Our thoughts and prayers are with your majesty and with the entire family.

With all our love and affection, Felipe and Letizia."

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...ue-edimburgo-reyes-telegrama-lilibet_3027704/

Thats a lovely message from Felipe and Letizia

I don't really have much to add to what's already been said. Prince Philip was a presence through much of my life. I was aware of him even before I started really following the royals. Of course, it seemed there were times he was only mentioned when he'd said something...rather inappropriate.
However, his loyalty and service to the UK and the Queen was undeniable, even if it took him a while to come to grips with being second fiddle, at least in public life.

I have no doubt his loss is felt keenly by many, but no more so than his family and his partner of over 70 years. I worry about HM, and hope she is able to have some family around her, despite the CoVid restrictions.

Edited to add: I somehow missed the message from TM Felipe and Letizia of Spain above. That was a very touching message, personal and very well done.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised to learn the family were informed days ago that they were concerned this could be close to the end. So people could have been quarantining for days already.

Last edited by a moderator:
So short of his 100th birthday and the Queens birthday in 2 weeks.

May he rest in peace.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn the family were informed days ago that they were concerned this could be close to the end. So people could have been quarantining for days already.

He was obviously allowed home to die. Which was a great thing for him.

St George's Chapel. With the baby on the way it isn't even a straight forward quarantining fir Harry I am afraid.

Very sad for him and I hope that he will take it pragmatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom