The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 10:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post

Are we also still anticipating that the Queen will address the nation on Tv prior to the funeral
I didn't even think of the Queen addressing the nation. She is a very strong lady but I hope she doesn't do it. I suspect that if anyone makes a public address, it would be Charles.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I suspect that if anyone makes a public address, it would be Charles.
I also had the exact same thoughts too.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:21 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Gayle King's comment was ridiculous. I'm sure she wasn't suggesting that he'd been drowned in a butt of malmsey wine or been shot with an arrow whilst hunting in the New Forest, but why ask such a stupid question at all?
I don’t see a “like” button here, so I’ll just say you have a wonderful way with words!
Old 04-13-2021, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

My mom just shared this with me. Love it.:
https://www.facebook.com/37239366961...8614149663527/
Old 04-13-2021, 11:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I didn't even think of the Queen addressing the nation. She is a very strong lady but I hope she doesn't do it. I suspect that if anyone makes a public address, it would be Charles.
I agree. This is one of those instances where Charles will be truly looking after his mother....If HM wants to speak,I can see him suggesting that he do so instead to spare her the pain and difficulty. I can also see him suggesting, even if HM didn’t mention making a speech, that he give one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
My mom just shared this with me. Love it.:
https://www.facebook.com/37239366961...8614149663527/
So do I...Philips’s face is priceless ! I’m sure Kate has so many wonderful photos...and undoubtedly Charles and his siblings do as well.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:48 AM
Majesty

I cant see why anyone needs to make a speech and Im sure its not soemthing the queen would consider. Charles and the other children have made statments now and IMO that's enough....
Old 04-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Aristocracy

Just dropping in to ask where one can watch the funeral online, on saturday? Sky news' live feed maybe?

Does not seem to be televised in my country.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembra View Post
Just dropping in to ask where one can watch the funeral online, on saturday? Sky news' live feed maybe?

Does not seem to be televised in my country.
I wish I had an answer for you but I actually was wondering the same thing about the US. Anyone know what network we might be able to watch it on?
Old 04-13-2021, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I wish I had an answer for you but I actually was wondering the same thing about the US. Anyone know what network we might be able to watch it on?
I’m sure CNN and MSNBC will cover it, and possibly the main networks. I normally flip between the first two, but something I found out has turned me off CNN, maybe permanently. I also don’t trust US networks to cover this appropriately, so I’m going to hope that BBC America covers it...maybe PBS

Wow, people are complaining about over coverage of Prince Philip?

Quote:
The BBC has received complaints about the amount of television coverage it gave to the Duke of Edinburgh's death.
The broadcaster suspended planned scheduling across BBC One and BBC Two to air special coverage after the duke died at Windsor Castle on Friday, aged 99.
The BBC later put a dedicated form on its website to allow viewers to complain about the TV coverage.
Broadcasters such as Channel 4 and ITV also adjusted schedules after the news.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56703437
Old 04-13-2021, 01:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I’m sure CNN and MSNBC will cover it, and possibly the main networks. I normally flip between the first two, but something I found out has turned me off CNN, maybe permanently. I also don’t trust US networks to cover this appropriately, so I’m going to hope that BBC America covers it...maybe PBS
I'm hoping for BBC America but I haven't heard anything so wasn't sure if they were covering it or not.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I'm hoping for BBC America but I haven't heard anything so wasn't sure if they were covering it or not.
I’m kind of guessing not since it will be on BBC1, which I don’t get, but I’ll post if I find out anything
Old 04-13-2021, 02:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post

Wow, people are complaining about over coverage of Prince Philip?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56703437
It was the because of the blanket coverage. Many millions have no interest in the RF & that's fine. The BBC is a publicly funded broadcaster so arguably it does seem unfair if there is no alternative.

I'd argue that the death of the sovereign's consort does merit blanket coverage but I understand if many don't.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Did everyone see where Gayle King was told off by twitter for asking if Prince Phillip died of "natural causes"?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b1829308.html

https://meaww.com/gayle-king-slammed...eactions-angry
Who is this Gayle King? I've seen her quoted in the press quite a bit recently - is she actually incredibly stupid, or just someone who's raking about for headlines to increase her presence in the trash media?
Old 04-13-2021, 02:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
It was the because of the blanket coverage. Many millions have no interest in the RF & that's fine. The BBC is a publicly funded broadcaster so arguably it does seem unfair if there is no alternative.

I'd argue that the death of the sovereign's consort does merit blanket coverage but I understand if many don't.
I'm not British but I feel that it probably is more than some people have no interest in the royal family. There are a lot of things going on right now. It is reasonable for people to want to hear about Philip but also want more information on COVID, the economy, etc.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:44 PM
Nobility

Angry Trash talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
Who is this Gayle King? I've seen her quoted in the press quite a bit recently - is she actually incredibly stupid, or just someone who's raking about for headlines to increase her presence in the trash
She is Oprah's long time BFF and has been riding on her coat tails for a long time. GK works in the news field. Oprah is an entertainer.
After the H&M's trash talk interview I have lost a lot of respect for Oprah. No follow up questions, no fact checking pure trash talk. She is also working with Harry on mental illness and yet he could not help his own wife even though he'd been working in the field. Had to move out of the county for M?
Day after interview had Oprah on her show and talked racism.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm not British but I feel that it probably is more than some people have no interest in the royal family. There are a lot of things going on right now. It is reasonable for people to want to hear about Philip but also want more information on COVID, the economy, etc.
Yes that's a good point.

The BBC did continue to have regular news reports as well as covering the prince's death but certainly there would have been people who felt there wasn't enough non RF news.

And of course there are the serial complainers who like to have a go at the BBC. It's a bit of a national pastime.

Some information here about the positive impact of the DofE Award on so many lives.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-56722046
Old 04-13-2021, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
And of course there are the serial complainers who like to have a go at the BBC. It's a bit of a national pastime.
We have that here too with certain networks.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:56 PM
Courtier

The traditional Seraphim Ringing will take place on the occassion of H.R.H. The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh's funeral on Saturday Saturday, between 12.00 and 13.00.

The Seraphim Ringing is the only occassion nowadays that the bells of Riddarholmen Church in Stockholm are ringing.

H.R.H. The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh received the Order of the Seraphim, by H.M. King Gustav VI Adolf on 23 June 1954.

Due to covid-19, and current restrictions, Riddarholmen Church won't be open to the public during the ceremony as is common.

Press release from The Swedish Royal Court (in Swedish):
https://www.kungahuset.se/press/pres...522d14eb7.html
Old 04-13-2021, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunking View Post
She is Oprah's long time BFF and has been riding on her coat tails for a long time. GK works in the news field. Oprah is an entertainer.
After the H&M's trash talk interview I have lost a lot of respect for Oprah. No follow up questions, no fact checking pure trash talk. She is also working with Harry on mental illness and yet he could not help his own wife even though he'd been working in the field. Had to move out of the county for M?
Day after interview had Oprah on her show and talked racism.
Yes, this is about all of it. Gayle and Orph met in the early 1980s (before Oprah became a household name) working at a local TV station. They have been BFF ever since. Gayle pretty much owes her entire existence to Oprah She is a Morning News Show anchor on CBS. Had it not been for Oprah she would most likely be nothing more than a former local TV anchor from a medium market at this point.

Gayle caused quite the controversy last year after an NBA star was killed in a plane crash.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:06 PM
Serene Highness

Kaye1850 (post 923), thank you!

Closed Thread