Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Windsor Castle located in the region of London?

Yes. But I imagine that it's like a backwards embassy where diplomatically speaking it's a little bit of whichever country it represents.

Spiritually speaking since the unification of the two crowns Windsor Castle, spiritual home of the monarchy, has apparently also "existed" in Scotland.

ETA:

The photo was taken in 2003, Sophie and Edward were married for 4 years by then and assumably first-time parents (of Louise)

Oops! I misread it and thought it said 1993!

Last edited:
The photo was taken in 2003, Sophie and Edward were married for 4 years by then and assumably first-time parents (of Louise) ;)

Well almost first time parents as I reckon this was taken in the summer of 2003 so Sophie was pregnant.

I am loving all these family photos being released. They’ve really made me tear up and show how adored he was by everyone.

I’m still not over the one of Mia and Prince Philip.

This is going to be so emotional tomorrow, the build up is on tv this evening, photographs and the order of service. I am off already, I don't know how I will watch it all without bubbling.

Interesting to hear that 'Eternal Father Strong to Save' will be one of the hymns at Prince Philip's funeral. Obviously it has a strong naval theme - 'for those in peril on the sea.'
But also the tune most commonly used for this hymn in 'Melita', the Latin name for Malta when he and Her Majesty spent such happy years.
'Melita' was also one of the names of Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria who was born in Malta as the 2nd daughter of Prince Alfred, who was serving there in the Royal Navy.

These ponies are absolutely gorgeous..seeing them, Prince Philip’s favorites, pulling the empty carriages, is going to be heartbreaking...

The Duke of Edinburgh’s beloved Fell ponies, Balmoral Nevis, bred by the Queen, and Notlaw Storm, will make a poignant appearance at #PrincePhilip’s funeral tomorrow as he makes his final journey. The ponies were #PrincePhilip’s pride and joy for carriage driving ?@PA @parsnippo

Another lovely unseen photo has been released this evening as chosen by the Queen. It’s from 2003 and it was taken by The Countess of Wessex at Balmoral.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzH76l7WUAUIL5y?format=jpg&name=medium

Such a lovely picture of a happy elderly couple enjoying themselves at a nice spot.

Lovely, do you know where it was taken?

Most likely Balmoral as well.

At the conclusion of the Service, The Duke of Edinburgh’s Coffin will be lowered into the Royal Vault. The Archbishop of Canterbury will pronounce the Blessing and the National Anthem will be sung by the Choir.

Her Majesty The Queen, Members of the Royal Family and The Duke of Edinburgh’s Family will then depart the Chapel via Galilee Porch.

Will be the lowering into the Royal Vault be something that the family will be able to observe in private (or at least the queen and her children? - comparable to how the closest family members in the case of the Dutch royals will go down into the crypt for a private farewell) or will they remain in the Chapel and say their final goodbyes/farewll with the whole world watching?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be the lowering into the Royal Vault be something that the family will be able to observe in private (or at least the queen and her children? - comparable to how the closest family members in the case of the Dutch royals will go down into the crypt for a private farewell) or will they remain in the Chapel and say their final goodbyes/farewll with the whole world watching?

I wondered that myself, surely the cameras will draw back at that point. There are some elements that are for the family. Surely..

I really think it must be a private moment. And for the close family only....

Such a lovely picture of a happy elderly couple enjoying themselves at a nice spot.

Most likely Balmoral as well.

I don't think so. I have just read the order of service it is has elements of the service before and after the lowering.

They are having an anthem (not the national anthem) sung, they then all stand while the coffin is lowered, then (or while) the commendation is said and the the proclamation of the titles of the DoE. That is followed by the pipers before the national anthem and then the family move. There is no movement during the service.

I will wait an see how this is done but it is very much part of the service it seems.

I found the Order of Service on The Times website and so behind a paywall but it is also here on the DM https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...al-Highness-Prince-Philip-Duke-Edinburgh.html

Last edited:
The photograph of Prince Philip with Mia really shows that this family is more than just the "royal family" ... it's an authentic traditional family with grandpa having a beautiful moment with his great-granddaughter. Together, with the photograph of QEII and Prince Philip with their great-grandchildren earlier this week, we now know what we had only suspected --- there are more "family time" intimate moments than we know (or should know!). I'm so touched by the photographs this week.

I absolutely agree. These photos have all been such bright spots in an otherwise very sad and gloomy week. It’s wonderful to get such personal and real glimpses into the family life that was clearly the very center of who they are behind the scenes.

Hoping the best for the family tomorrow. Stay strong! We love you, Queen Elizabeth!

We do love you, Queen Elizabeth!

And so apt that the ponies and carriages will be seen.

I’m about 99.9% certain that a groom will be leading them or driving them but since they do occasionally like to throw in a personal touch I can’t say that a tiny part of me isn’t expecting Lady Louise to be driving them in celebration of the sport she loved and shared with her grandfather.

I really think it must be a private moment. And for the close family only....

No it is a part of the service. Everyone will be standing. After the lowering of the coffin and the comittal, the Archbishop will pronounce the benediction (blessing) followed by trumpeters and buglers, The Garter King of Arms reading Prince Philip’s titles and styles, and the National Anthem.

Though i wish that the camera will focus on the coffin and the priests in that moment and not showing who is crying and who is not...We really don’t need to know that

Last edited:
I’m about 99.9% certain that a groom will be leading them or driving them but since they do occasionally like to throw in a personal touch I can’t say that a tiny part of me isn’t expecting Lady Louise to be driving them in celebration of the sport she loved and shared with her grandfather.

Actually, that thought about Louise crossed my mind too but I wouldn't bet anything but the lint in my pocket on that. Attire would be the first concern. She'll be dressed in an appropriate church outfit. It would really be touching and emotional though if she did drive the carriage perhaps with Penny Knatchbull by her side.

Actually, that thought about Louise crossed my mind too but I wouldn't bet anything but the lint in my pocket on that. Attire would be the first concern. She'll be dressed in an appropriate church outfit. It would really be touching and emotional though if she did drive the carriage perhaps with Penny Knatchbull by her side.

Oh good gracious, you’re right. Having Penny Knatchbull with her hadn’t even crossed my mind but if the two of them were to drive the carriage I’d bet my last cup of coffee that there wouldn’t be a dry eye in the family or amongst dedicated royal watchers. I agree that it’s highly unlikely but I’ve been surprised before and given how many deeply personal touches have already been announced and we know how involved Philip was in the planning, I can’t say that I’d be stunned if, in fact, Louise and Penny are driving his beloved carriage and ponies.

Last edited:
I don’t think I can bear to watch American coverage of the funeral with all the errors. Is sky news a good alternative? I think I don’t get bbc America on my lowest rung cable

I don’t think I can bear to watch American coverage of the funeral with all the errors. Is sky news a good alternative? I think I don’t get bbc America on my lowest rung cable

I'm not going to watch American coverage either. I'm all set up will watch the coverage on the Royal Family You Tube feed.

I have BBC America, buy they don't have coverage of the funeral listed. Does anyone know if they are going to cover it?

I had plan to stream the YouTube channel above of the RF. One question I have is will there be any commentary on that channel? So wish I could hear BBC. I agree with others that it would drive me nuts listening to some American newscasters.:ohmy:

I'm not going to watch American coverage either. I'm all set up will watch the coverage on the Royal Family You Tube feed.

I was going to, but I don’t want to deplete my batteries on my IPad, so I’ll probably check out ABC, with Victoria Murphy and Robert Jobson, and MSNBC with Victoria Howard (I assume others, too, but I don’t know). KF BBC World ends up showing it, I’ll probably watch their coverage

I found this on YouTube. I’m not sure it will work in the US but it may be worth a shot.

I am technically challenged so please be kind.

It looks like a BBC Link to the funeral.

I have BBC America, buy they don't have coverage of the funeral listed. Does anyone know if they are going to cover it?

I don’t think so. I have it also, and my tv cable guide - which has updated all the networks that are airing the funeral - lists BBC America as airing their usual programs

I just looked and it appears that I’ll be able to watch it on BBC World. It doesn’t look like BBC America is showing it, at least not according to my guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom