The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 04:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I agree, straightforward with everybody treated the same, having said that it is possible the younger in laws may offer to step down, whatever happens it will and should be what the Queen wants.

And she is acting in accordance with her late husband's wishes. And that is how it should be. So we agree on that.

It will be interesting to see it all unfold on Saturday.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
There is also a possibility that The Queen has decided to not use all the 30 seats and draw the line after hers and Philips own descendants of a suitable age plus spouses...

That would likely mean The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, George, Charlotte, Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Edo, Eugenie, Jack, Edward, Sophie, Louise, James, Anne, Tim, Peter, Savannah, Isla, Zara, Mike and Mia... That is 25.

Add to that Prince Philips private secretary Brigadier Archie Miller-Bakewell. And perhaps also the Lady in Waiting who is currently isolating with The Queen... That would bring it to 27 guests...

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s it and they stop there....

There are many many many more relatives who truly deserves to be there. But the line is at 30 so sacrifices that will hurt and will be felt must be made..... And there will likely be a bigger Service of Thanksgiving for the life of The Duke of Edinburgh in either Westminster Abbey or St Paul’s Cathedral later when they’re allowed to have more people anyway...
I agree and if three more her niece and nephew and that's it.

But I would not be surprised if we just had direct descendants.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
There is also a possibility that The Queen has decided to not use all the 30 seats and draw the line after hers and Philips own descendants of a suitable age plus spouses...

That would likely mean The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, George, Charlotte, Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Edo, Eugenie, Jack, Edward, Sophie, Louise, James, Anne, Tim, Peter, Savannah, Isla, Zara, Mike and Mia... That is 25.

Add to that Prince Philips private secretary Brigadier Archie Miller-Bakewell. And perhaps also the Lady in Waiting who is currently isolating with The Queen... That would bring it to 27 guests...

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s it and they stop there....

There are many many many more relatives who truly deserves to be there. But the line is at 30 so sacrifices that will hurt and will be felt must be made..... And there will likely be a bigger Service of Thanksgiving för the life of The Duke of Edinburgh in either Westminster Abbey of St Paul’s Cathedral later When they’re allowed to have more people anyway...
I was thinking his wife, children, grandchildren and spouses to keep things simple and avoid the unpleasant task of having to decide between various people who likely all had a similar level of closeness with the DoE, but then it was announced that Boris Johnson wouldn’t attend the funeral so that every possible seat could be used for family/close friends so I assumed they planned to fill all the seats.

I don’t think the Prime Minister’s staff would have specifically mentioned making an extra seat available as the reason for Johnson not going if they hadn’t confirmed The Queen’s wishes with BP beforehand, especially since there was no need to give that particular reason to explain his absence.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I was thinking his wife, children, grandchildren and spouses to keep things simple and avoid the unpleasant task of having to decide between various people who likely all had a similar level of closeness with the DoE, but then it was announced that Boris Johnson wouldn’t attend the funeral so that every possible seat could be used for family/close friends so I assumed they planned to fill all the seats.

I don’t think the Prime Minister’s staff would have specifically mentioned making an extra seat available as the reason for Johnson not going if they hadn’t confirmed The Queen’s wishes with BP beforehand, especially since there was no need to give that particular reason to explain his absence.
I wouldn't read into that. That is Boris being Boris. He said it himself off the cuff.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I wouldn't be at all surprised if all sides simply agreed most events are better without Boris.

If they have less than the full 30 in attendance Downing Street will simply say Boris wanted to give HM and the family the option and if not all family could attend he didn't want to be seen to.

Nothing in terms of guests would really surprise me, I also think there will be an element of some people being invited but given time to decide whether they are able to attend (e.g. the older possible attendees) and maybe some will let it be known they'd rather someone else took their seat.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I wonder if the QUeen's niece and nephew, Sarah and David will attend.
I would be very surprised if they didn’t attend.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:15 PM
Majesty

Prince Harry pictured arriving in the UK ahead of Prince Philip's funeral.
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...hilip-funeral/
Old 04-12-2021, 06:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Andrew doesn't seem to be getting any love from the public. The comments on DM and elsewhere have been scathing. I think the public is done with him.
I thought that Edward was far more articulate and authentic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Genuinely asking, why shield James from the press and not Louise?
Maybe James just didn’t want to go. He is old enough to stay home, I believe.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:27 PM
Commoner

I gasped when the announcement came up on the news, I had thought the Duke would celebrate his 100th after his successful procedure. They’re the kind that you sort of expect will go on forever, even though you know they can’t

I am glad Boris has said that he won’t be going, I don’t think the Royals should be forced to have Prime Ministers at family events and if The Queen wanted any Prime Minister to attend it would be John Major. If he has said it off the cuff then I think that is the decent thing rather than putting the palace in the position of potentially having to ask him not to attend.

After criticising the monarchy that Philip has spent his life dutifully serving at a time when it was known he wasn’t well, it’s just as well that Meghan is unable to attend. On a limit of 30 I don’t think she’d have been welcome over say the Kents who are 1C1R to Philip and have served their cousin for many years.

Until today I did not think that any of the great grandchildren would attend, but that photo of just George and Philip has me thinking that he might. Although older, I can’t imagine Savannah and Isla there without their mother too and I think those divorced or soon to be divorced from the family are definitely out. Perhaps Peter will bubble with Zara (I could imagine Mike giving up his seat and staying home with the children.) If he is not bubbled with anyone else he could do that while maintaining a childcare bubble with Autumn.

While Edo is the most recent addition, I think the need to separate households means that he will be there. With the Yorks, I think it was both husbands or no husbands and Beatrice and Eugenie won’t be able to sit together. I expect Sarah Ferguson will be looking after August to allow Jack to attend.

I would be surprised to see spouses of relatives beyond the grandchildren.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
I'm not supporting Andrew in the slightest, but he can't win. People are inclined to disdain anything he does, with very good reason, and he just doesn't have the presence or manner to change it.

However if he didn't have such a cloud over him, he might possibly come across as more dignified and Edward as more fumbly. Perception is everything.

Tl;dr People like Ed and Sophie so they will like what they have to say and sympathize. People despise Andrew, so they won't.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Would anyone have expected the Prime Minister to attend a close royal family funeral if it hadn't been for the announcement?
Old 04-12-2021, 06:33 PM
Majesty

Yes I should think so.....
Old 04-12-2021, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

It is still a Ceremonial Royal Funeral so it ordinary times the PM would have been one of the 800 or so people there yes. Even with Covid restrictions it was a likely possibility that the PM would have attended to represent "official Britain"even if he had been the only non family member.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
I'm not supporting Andrew in the slightest, but he can't win. People are inclined to disdain anything he does, with very good reason, and he just doesn't have the presence or manner to change it.

However if he didn't have such a cloud over him, he might possibly come across as more dignified and Edward as more fumbly. Perception is everything.

Tl;dr People like Ed and Sophie so they will like what they have to say and sympathize. People despise Andrew, so they won't.
I agree completely. While Andrew is certainly not top of the list for me, if you listen to what he says and sort of box out or step outside of your thoughts about him personally, it was a nice thing to say and infinitely appropriate. Had any of the other three children uttered those exact words everyone would have said it was personal, sentimental, and lovely. But since it was Andrew all anyone can do is criticize. He’s just as much a child of HM and the late DoE as any of the other three and has every right in the world to offer his thoughts and a statement, particularly when it was as thoughtful and sentimental as this one. Andrew can be downright beastly and arrogant as we all know but in this particular moment I’m inclined to believe he’s gotten it exactly right.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
When it comes to the death of a beloved father, each memorial, each remembrance, each word uttered is solely unique to the person expressing them. They're not writing or orating on nuclear physics or the atmosphere on Mars but expressing a deep grief over the loss of someone very near and dear to them. Some people don't feel comfortable whatsoever saying anything at a time like this because it's hard to put a sentence together because of overwhelming emotions.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I agree completely. While Andrew is certainly not top of the list for me, if you listen to what he says and sort of box out or step outside of your thoughts about him personally, it was a nice thing to say and infinitely appropriate. Had any of the other three children uttered those exact words everyone would have said it was personal, sentimental, and lovely. But since it was Andrew all anyone can do is criticize. He’s just as much a child of HM and the late DoE as any of the other three and has every right in the world to offer his thoughts and a statement, particularly when it was as thoughtful and sentimental as this one. Andrew can be downright beastly and arrogant as we all know but in this particular moment I’m inclined to believe he’s gotten it exactly right.
I thought he had lovely things to say...I looked at him as a grieving son, not as a problematic former working Royal. I have no respect for anyone tearing him apart and not letting up for even a minute while he’s desperately sad over losing his father.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Yes, I'll look now. it was at an American visit I think. He was speaking to the press or press association type group whose name escapes me now. Queen Margrethe spoke to them once on one of her visits too.

Edit -

https://twitter.com/HowardMortman/st...87027804811268

this tweet has the part you mention from a meeting with the National Press Club in DC

This was so funny. Thanks for sharing. Philip’s stories were great. He kept the room entertained. Lol

Definitely a tactful move on his part to NOT correct anyone about his first trip to Japan.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Children are people... its 30 people

Not in Germany , here they don't count unless they are 14 and older .
Old 04-12-2021, 07:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
This was so funny. Thanks for sharing. Philip’s stories were great. He kept the room entertained. Lol

Definitely a tactful move on his part to NOT correct anyone about his first trip to Japan.
Not only did he keep a room entertained and always had people wondering what would come out of his mouth next but also, the important part, is that the Queen relished the gaffes that Philip would make as it relieved the tediousness and the humdrum routine of so many engagements and appearances that seem to run together into one big blur. Her "Oh Philip!" was secretly her amusement.

I think one of the funniest things between the two of them that I can recall happened once in a very ceremonial aspect (I can't find the reference to this so it's not verbatim and maybe I'm remembering a bit of it wrong) where the Queen was standing there and Philip was in full ceremonial uniform (the Queen's Guard with the bearskin hats?) and as they paraded past their Queen and Monarch, Philip was observed to have winked at the Queen and stated something along the lines of "Hey Babe! How 'bout a date?"

Then again, my memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:26 PM
Majesty

Here is an explanation of who Prince Philip's sisters married.
http://www.tatler.com/article/prince...rman-relatives

Closed Thread