The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 10:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Is donating to a charity a common practice in the UK after someone passed away? I've seen it a lot in the US but it isn't that common in the Netherlands (so I still don't feel comfortable doing so - we donate to lots of different charities but never in remembrance of someone).
Yes it's very common. You often see in newspaper announcements "Family flowers only please. Donations in lieu of flowers to ..."

I've heard the request many times on TV since Friday and you'd assume that the kind of people keen to leave flowers would be avid watchers of the TV coverage. Regardless of the Covid restrictions, this is a request I suspect the DofE made a long time ago.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:32 AM
Serene Highness

Such a lovely picture of Prince Philip with George.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I just love the idea of Philip driving over in his carriage to Anmer and spending time with William, Catherine and some of his great grandchildren. How lucky they are to have known great grandpa Philip so well. Beautiful statements so far from Philip’s children and William.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Yes, I know. That's why I included all the cousins in my list of 'potentially invited'. Nobody is contesting that they might be invited or that they haven't know each other for a longer time - but length is not the only criterion (because why wouldn't Daniel Chatto be invited in this scenario as he has been in the family (much) longer than Camilla, Sophie, Catherine and Mike).

It seems that you agree that the cousins (including the cousins' spouses; not sure about for example the Duke's relationship with princess Michael) are more important than the grandchildren's spouses (who would also be there to support their spouse who just lost her grandfather) or the nephew-by-marriage. So, maybe... and maybe not. That will be up to the queen. Unfortunately, hard decisions have to be made.

N.B. My parents were recently excluded from the funeral of their brother-in-law whom they had known for (and had a close relationship with) their whole life (my mother) or over 40 years (my father) in favor of his grandchildren - which of course made perfect sense.
I dont realy have an opinion. Its up to the queen, as I think she would want those who were closest to Philip and alos the poeple that she herself would want to see, for support, at present....
Old 04-12-2021, 10:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

... I still stand by my comments that family members who knew Philip for decades ought to be there over more recent in laws.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
It's annoying the hell out of me that people are turning up to various places to leave flowers and/or "pay respects". There have been countless requests to people that they shouldn't do it and should stay away, donating to one of the DofE's charities instead. To me, these people are showing DISrespect and putting their own desires ahead of the bereaved family's. Too many look like they're trying to be photographed or get themselves on the telly.
Hear hear hear!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Fair enough but I still stand by my comments that family members who knew Philip for decades ought to be there over more recent in laws.
No,not at all.The in laws come first
Old 04-12-2021, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Whoever Philip knew best and wanted to be there the most should come first surely?
Old 04-12-2021, 11:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Whoever Philip knew best and wanted to be there the most should come first surely?
Absolutely, it makes sense.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
A message of the Duke of Cambridge:

https://www.facebook.com/TheBritishM...0534421301690/

The picture of The Duke of Edinburgh and Prince George is heartbreaking.
What a beautiful and touching message from William. Reporters are saying that the photo was taken by Catherine.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
What a beautiful and touching message from William.
Yes it was and will resonate with so many who have also lost beloved grandparents.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
That was absolutely, heartbreakingly perfect.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-12-2021, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
The Queen might not even use the 30 places, it might be easier to keep exactly to the immediate family plus spouses , in which I would include Sarah Chatto and the Earl of Snowden plus the private secretary.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

What a beautiful message from William to his grandfather, and what a gorgeous photo of Philip and George. The Cambridge kids were lucky to get to know their great-grandfather, even for a short time

Harry’s was lovely as well. People are criticizing both on Twitter - good lord, these are people in mourning, sigh.

As for the list, assuming Philip didn’t weigh in on the 30, to me it’s clear that the people he was closest to should be there. If that means that Beatrice and Eugenie’s husbands can’t be, well that’s a shame, but this is life in the times of Covid; sacrifices must be made.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Fair enough but I still stand by my comments that family members who knew Philip for decades ought to be there over more recent in laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Why not await the guest list instead of insisting so firmly on who ought to be there?
No matter who will be there, aside from direct family, it will never please everyone.

I think it's most important that those who Prince Philip wanted to be there, are there.
It will be amazing and heartbreaking to see, that's for sure.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:23 PM
Courtier

Eugenie and Jack have been a couple for a long time, so I see no reason why he should be discounted simply because they waited until they were ready to be married and that was only a few years ago.

And, if Meghan was able to travel I would see no reason for her to be excluded either, same for Eduardo.

The most reasonable bet is that the spouses of all of the kids and grandkids will be included, and I would bet cold, hard cash that the 5 oldest great grandkids will be there also.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
What a beautiful message from William to his grandfather, and what a gorgeous photo of Philip and George. The Cambridge kids were lucky to get to know their great-grandfather, even for a short time

Harry’s was lovely as well. People are criticizing both on Twitter - good lord, these are people in mourning, sigh.

Both gave lovely tributes. I don’t look at Twitter, but I saw some nasty comments on FB- and stopped reading. Goodness. Both wrote loving messages about their grandfather, with the tone and message reflecting the personalities of William and Harry IMO and their memories.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Yes it was and will resonate with so many who have also lost beloved grandparents.
Definitely agree. It really brought back memories of both my father and my grandmother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
The Sunday Telegraph suggested the 30 'likely guests' at Prince Philip's funeral, which I think may not be far off the mark...
Interesting that the Telegraph predicts all of the newly married in-laws will be excluded, and the only great-grandchildren in attendance will be the Wessex children. While I can see some of the spouses not being there, I’d be surprised to see only two of Philip’s great-grand children in attendance.

ETA: As has been pointed out, the Wessex children are Philip’s grandchildren (not his great-grand children)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
And this is all that matters.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Both gave lovely tributes. I don’t look at Twitter, but I saw some nasty comments on FB- and stopped reading. Goodness. Both wrote loving messages about their grandfather, with the tone and message reflecting the personalities of William and Harry IMO and their memories.
It’s like certain fans of both princes are trying to make this into a competition as to who wrote the better, more emotional tribute. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Anyway, the words are less important than the sentiment behind them. These aren’t essays to be graded, they are expressions of love.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Definitely agree. It really brought back memories of both my father and my grandmother.

Interesting that the Telegraph predicts all of the newly married in-laws will be excluded, and the only great-grandchildren in attendance will be the Wessex children. While I can see some of the spouses not being there, I’d be surprised to see only two of Philip’s great-grand children in attendance.
I thought that the Wessex children are grandchildren, not great grandchildren, they are the same as William, Harry, Zara and the York sisters? or am I missing something.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Louise and James are grandchildren not great-grandchildren of Philip!

I guess they are getting tired of being mistaken for great-grandchildren... (if it happens on this board multiple times, it must be happening all the time)

I know I really didn't appreciate it when the funeral director at my grandfather's funeral announced that the great-grandchildren would follow the grandchildren in the funeral procession, while there were no great-grandchildren present(!); so apparently, just because we were younger than most of our cousins we were suddenly reduced to a lesser relationship with our grandfather. [my indignation was soon turned around when we ended up ahead of all other grandchildren in the funeral procession; as we were the only ones too young to walk on our own; so we walked with our parents (who were last of the children; as my mother was the youngest) - that's how the brain of a 10 year old worked; and James is not that much older...]

Closed Thread