The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 07:56 AM
Aristocracy

I am so sad.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:58 AM
Majesty

I’m looking for something from the Danish court, since he was born a prince of Greece and Denmark, and was in line to the Danish throne at birth - until he married.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:00 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It is rather distasteful to abuse the death of the Duke of Edinburgh for a continuation of the point-scoring that some members enjoy in the Sussex-discussion.

Posts on this subject have been and will be deleted.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:01 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I dont even know if all the children and grandchildren with partners will be able to go. How many people are allowed at funerals?

Just checked and it is 30.

Eight grandchildren...4 partners (Meghan wont be there), 4 children and three partners and the Queen. That is 20. And perhaps.the oldest great grandchildren, Savannah, Isla and George and perhaps David,Sarah and Lady Hicks. Bring it to 30. He would want a private ceremony.
I was wondering if the Mountbattens would come. I don't know if they were close to each other
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
It shouldn't surprise me but it does. I thought he'd be alive for another year or two. Will it be a private funeral because of covid? How "locked down" is England still?
Currently for a funeral 30 people are allowed, social distancing of course (if they don't live together or share a bubble).

Possibly it will be televised to avoid crowds gathering? Maybe?
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
I can't imagine the pain of the Queen, to lose the companion of her whole life. May he rest in peace.

I'd read she'd known him since she was 13 or 14.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Beautiful photo of a young Prince Philip...

https://twitter.com/greekblue1/statu...153144327?s=21
Old 04-09-2021, 08:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by taogg View Post
I was wondering if the Mountbattens would come. I don't know if they were close to each other
Well Lady Pamela is the closest to him. I dont know if he is close to any of his sisters descendants to be honest. But Lady Pamela is also in her 90s but also the one raised with him. I would I imagine her and one of her children...maybe India would be there. I know they were close to Philip's nieces and nephews at one point but I have met heard or seen anything about them in recent years.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Well Lady Pamela is the closest to him. I dont know if he is close to any of his sisters descendants to be honest. But Lady Pamela is also in her 90s but also the one raised with him. I would I imagine her and one of her children...maybe India would be there. I know they were close to Philip's nieces and nephews at one point but I have met heard or seen anything about them in recent years.
Buckingham Palace will announce all that in due time.It is up to HM.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:07 AM
Royal Highness

Very sad news but I suppose not unexpected, although I had hoped he would make it to his 100th birthday after he came out of hospital.

It's interesting to note that he was born in the year of the Centenary celebrations of of Greek independence and lived to see the bicentenary. And what a life in between.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparent

I would like to second many of the lovely comments others have posted. His Royal Highness's life spanned many transformative eras in British and European history, and the ways in which he strived to adapt from being an effectively stateless royal in exile in the era between two world wars, to being a member of the British upper-class establishment and military, to being a rare male consort to a head of state in one of the few remaining monarchies in Europe after the second World War is fascinating and inspirational. In spite of his much scrutinized difficulties with adjusting to the requirements of his position and much public and private criticism, he clearly learned from his experiences and grew into a reliable, intensely hardworking, and innovative royal who understood and modernized the role of the British monarchy in the 20th century. His humorously self-critical, modest attitude was refreshing and relatable for a person in his position, and I will miss his presence.

I hope there will be a worthy public memorial service when conditions permit.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Buckingham Palace will announce all that in due time.It is up to HM.
Well sadly it isn't. 30 people given the pandemic and the idea that limited movement of people is needed.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

99 is already an impressive age to reach but how truly gutting that Philip wasn't able to make it to his 100th birthday That would've been a milestone fitting for a person as grand as him.

May he rest in peace.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:12 AM
Nobility

What a great loss, my condolences to the Queen and British royal family.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am also wondering whether any of his sister's children might attend - and maybe not partners but only the actual relative. I do think that a partner might very well give way to a cousin, niece or nephew for instance.

I suppose any German relatives would be restricted due to the need to do 10 days of quarantine on entering the UK and the funeral is expected to be in 7 or 8 days.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:15 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am also wondering whether any of his sister's children might attend - and maybe not partners but only the actual relative. I do think that a partner might very well give way to a cousin, niece or nephew for instance.

I suppose any German relatives would be restricted due to the need to do 10 days of quarantine on entering the UK and the funeral is expected to be in 7 or 8 days.
Perhaps the Greek royal family may be able to make it but King Constantine is not in his good shape
Old 04-09-2021, 08:16 AM
Serene Highness

Very sad news today. But what a life and what a man. I will always remember the support he gave to his grandsons walking behind the coffin.

Absolutely adored by his grandchildren. I will always remember Beateice, with tears in her eyes, saying 'my grandfather.' A symbol.of indominatable duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taogg View Post
Perhaps the Greek royal family may be able to make it but King Constantine is not in his good shape
There are over 30 members in the immediate family. It isn't likely and I would say that many partners of the grandchildren may not be there.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:18 AM
Royal Highness

My sister just called me to say that we have him to "thank" for weeks climbing up Snowdon, Cumbria and other extremely chilly places.

The DofE awards was really one of his greatest achievements.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:18 AM
Gentry

Sad News.. He was one of a kind

RIP Prince Philip
Old 04-09-2021, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I literally woke to the news alert on the phone . I’m devastated- and I can’t say why. In tears about a man I never knew. It’s like I have to adjust to a world without him and that takes a while. My heart hurts for the Queen and I am afraid.
I keep thinking about heaven and his reunion with people. I also have to think heaven just got a big dose of humor.

Closed Thread