Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, people are complaining about over coverage of Prince Philip?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56703437

It was the because of the blanket coverage. Many millions have no interest in the RF & that's fine. The BBC is a publicly funded broadcaster so arguably it does seem unfair if there is no alternative.

I'd argue that the death of the sovereign's consort does merit blanket coverage but I understand if many don't.

Who is this Gayle King? I've seen her quoted in the press quite a bit recently - is she actually incredibly stupid, or just someone who's raking about for headlines to increase her presence in the trash media?

It was the because of the blanket coverage. Many millions have no interest in the RF & that's fine. The BBC is a publicly funded broadcaster so arguably it does seem unfair if there is no alternative.

I'd argue that the death of the sovereign's consort does merit blanket coverage but I understand if many don't.

I'm not British but I feel that it probably is more than some people have no interest in the royal family. There are a lot of things going on right now. It is reasonable for people to want to hear about Philip but also want more information on COVID, the economy, etc.

Trash talk

Who is this Gayle King? I've seen her quoted in the press quite a bit recently - is she actually incredibly stupid, or just someone who's raking about for headlines to increase her presence in the trash

She is Oprah's long time BFF and has been riding on her coat tails for a long time. GK works in the news field. Oprah is an entertainer.
After the H&M's trash talk interview I have lost a lot of respect for Oprah. No follow up questions, no fact checking pure trash talk. She is also working with Harry on mental illness and yet he could not help his own wife even though he'd been working in the field. Had to move out of the county for M?
Day after interview had Oprah on her show and talked racism.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not British but I feel that it probably is more than some people have no interest in the royal family. There are a lot of things going on right now. It is reasonable for people to want to hear about Philip but also want more information on COVID, the economy, etc.

Yes that's a good point.

The BBC did continue to have regular news reports as well as covering the prince's death but certainly there would have been people who felt there wasn't enough non RF news.

And of course there are the serial complainers who like to have a go at the BBC. It's a bit of a national pastime.:D

Some information here about the positive impact of the DofE Award on so many lives.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-56722046

The traditional Seraphim Ringing will take place on the occassion of H.R.H. The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh's funeral on Saturday Saturday, between 12.00 and 13.00.

The Seraphim Ringing is the only occassion nowadays that the bells of Riddarholmen Church in Stockholm are ringing.

H.R.H. The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh received the Order of the Seraphim, by H.M. King Gustav VI Adolf on 23 June 1954.

Due to covid-19, and current restrictions, Riddarholmen Church won't be open to the public during the ceremony as is common.

Press release from The Swedish Royal Court (in Swedish):
https://www.kungahuset.se/press/pre...enavedinburgh.5.3d544ca01784aaa522d14eb7.html

She is Oprah's long time BFF and has been riding on her coat tails for a long time. GK works in the news field. Oprah is an entertainer.
After the H&M's trash talk interview I have lost a lot of respect for Oprah. No follow up questions, no fact checking pure trash talk. She is also working with Harry on mental illness and yet he could not help his own wife even though he'd been working in the field. Had to move out of the county for M?

Yes, this is about all of it. Gayle and Orph met in the early 1980s (before Oprah became a household name) working at a local TV station. They have been BFF ever since. Gayle pretty much owes her entire existence to Oprah She is a Morning News Show anchor on CBS. Had it not been for Oprah she would most likely be nothing more than a former local TV anchor from a medium market at this point.

Gayle caused quite the controversy last year after an NBA star was killed in a plane crash.

Yes that's a good point.

The BBC did continue to have regular news reports as well as covering the prince's death but certainly there would have been people who felt there wasn't enough non RF news.

And of course there are the serial complainers who like to have a go at the BBC. It's a bit of a national pastime.:D

Lots of people moaning about the final of Masterchef as well.

I think they could have had something different on BBC2 rather than the same thing on both terrestrial channels. And whilst I thought it was OK as I was dipping in and out, even my staunch monarchist mum thought they could change up how they did it a bit, with just repeating the same thing in 15 minute cycles with a few different interviews here and there.

They'll probably change exactly how they do it for Operation London Bridge but there won't be *less* coverage I assume.

About the Guest list. Beatrice and Eugenie husbands may decide not to attend as they are very new to the royal family. Since Peter is divorced and Meghan will not be attending Harry and Peter may walk with them.

I agree; I have really lost respect for Oprah too. And I do not like that her BFF Gayle is stirring the pot, as someone so aptly put it!

Gayle King is entertainment field, like Oprah, and as someone said has ridden on Oprah's coattails her entire "career." CBS has not had an actual news department in decades, but rather advocacy and opinion shows.

About the Guest list. Beatrice and Eugenie husbands may decide not to attend as they are very new to the royal family. Since Peter is divorced and Meghan will not be attending Harry and Peter may walk with them.

Anything is possible, I guess, but I would be absolutely floored if both Jack and Edo are not in attendance. Recently married or no, they're spouses of the late DoE's grandchildren. Given the COVID restrictions they would be the only people who could be close to the girls, as I understand it, and the York girls are both quite close to their grandparents. While Philip was quite old and therefore this wasn't entirely unexpected, that doesn't mean they won't be sad, shed a few tears, and need a shoulder. When my great-grandmother died at 100 a few years ago absolutely no one was surprised but we were still sad and we still missed her. While I admit that there was laughter at the visitation and the service, just as she'd have wanted, there were also tears. And I'm very, very glad that I wasn't forced to sit alone during that. I'd hate for the York girls to have do so.

From Denmark:

"Her Majesty The Queen has decided that flags will fly at half-mast at Amalienborg on Saturday, 17 April 2021 in connection with the funeral of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh.*"

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/display-of-flags-in-connection-with-hrh-prince-philips-funeral

I remember reading here at TRF around the time of the death of Prince Consort Henrik that Queen Margrethe and QEII were personally quite close.

If true, the monarchs will share the sad added bond of widowhood.:sad:

Some information here about the positive impact of the DofE Award on so many lives.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-56722046

That’s truly inspirational...I’m not familiar with the details of the Prince’s Trust, but I find it powerful that both father and son created foundations to help young people...

Lots of people moaning about the final of Masterchef as well.

I think they could have had something different on BBC2 rather than the same thing on both terrestrial channels. And whilst I thought it was OK as I was dipping in and out, even my staunch monarchist mum thought they could change up how they did it a bit, with just repeating the same thing in 15 minute cycles with a few different interviews here and there.

They'll probably change exactly how they do it for Operation London Bridge but there won't be *less* coverage I assume.

I assume Operation London Bridge is for when the Queen passes?

It starts.

Exclusive in tomorrow’s #DailyMail - tensions at the Palace over Prince Andrew’s request to wear an Admiral’s uniform to his father’s funeral on Saturday #PrincePhilip

I assume Operation London Bridge is for when the Queen passes?

It starts.

Yes it’s been said that the funeral plans for The Queen is codenamed ”London Bridge”, for Philip ”Forth Bridge” and for Charles ”Menai Bridge”....

The Queen Mother’s was ”Tay Bridge” and Diana’s funeral was based on that too with some changes...

Don’t know if Camilla and William have their own plans set up yet... The Queen’s and Philip’s was set up already in the 1960:s so i would expect so...

Last edited:
Yes it’s been said that the funeral plans for The Queen is codenamed ”London Bridge”, for Philip ”Forth Bridge” and for Charles ”Menai Bridge”....

The Queen Mother’s was ”Tay Bridge” and Diana’s funeral was based on that too with some changes...

Don’t know if Camilla and William have their own plans set up yet... The Queen’s and Philip’s was set up already in the 1960:s so i would expect so...

Thanks! I’ve never heard of Menai Bridge, but I see it’s in Wales....appropriate.

Can anyone tell me when Peter and Autumn divorced? I know they announced their separation early last year and it takes two years to get divorced so I am wondering when the decree nisi was issued. Anyone know the date of that decree ... as that would say how long before the separation announcement they actually separated. It does seem strange to announce the separation part way through the divorce proceedings. Normally people announce the separation shortly after it happens or not at all and simply wait until the divorce absolute is finalised, as happened with Davina and Gary Lewis, before announcing anything.

Can anyone tell me when Peter and Autumn divorced? I know they announced their separation early last year and it takes two years to get divorced so I am wondering when the decree nisi was issued. Anyone know the date of that decree ... as that would say how long before the separation announcement they actually separated. It does seem strange to announce the separation part way through the divorce proceedings. Normally people announce the separation shortly after it happens or not at all and simply wait until the divorce absolute is finalised, as happened with Davina and Gary Lewis, before announcing anything.

Maybe the pandemic has delayed it. The courts here have a huge backlog of cases.

I agree; I have really lost respect for Oprah too. And I do not like that her BFF Gayle is stirring the pot, as someone so aptly put it!
Gayle king’s comment was the height of rudeness. If you are not told how or why someone died then don’t ask, it’s private and you are obviously not close enough to have that information.
I have lost all respect for Oprah after her “interview “.

I'm sorry if it's been posted before:

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/...hat-interview-madness-no-good-will-come-of-it

I admit initially I avoided it because the title (and it's Mail+), but a friend managed to force me to read it and ... fine, it's Gyles Brandreth and it's said to be an authorised biography so let's give it a go.

(...)

He told me more than once: ‘It’s a big mistake to think about yourself. No one is interested in you in the long run. Don’t court popularity. It doesn’t last. Remember that the attention comes because of the position you are privileged to hold, not because of who you are. If you think it’s all about you, you’ll never be happy.’

(...)

PRINCE PHILIP had long been responsible for the management of the royal estates but in 2014 he ceded management of Sandringham’s 20,000 acres to Prince Charles — knowing that his son’s approach to land management and farming were very different from his own.

‘He has his ideas and I have mine,’ said Prince Philip, ‘but I won’t be here for ever so he’d better get on with it.’

(...)

Because he lived so long, Philip saw so much. He knew the royal road had always been a rocky one. ‘My grandfather was assassinated,’ he reminded me, ‘my father was sent into exile, my parents separated, my sister was killed in that aeroplane crash [in 1937], my uncle was murdered by the IRA . . . things happen, but life goes on.’

The Duke wouldn’t be drawn on the future of the Royal Family. ‘There’ll be ups and there’ll be downs, but beyond that I’ve no idea what the future holds. There’s no point in speculating about it. All I’ll say is that I’ve tried to help keep it going while I’ve been here.’

When the first lockdown was lifted, Philip and Elizabeth, having spent more time close together than they had done in years, decided it rather suited them. They left Windsor together and travelled up to Balmoral for their traditional summer break.

When that was over, they went back to Sandringham — but not the big house. Instead, together they went to live at Wood Farm, Philip’s favourite bolthole, the un-grand, unpretentious place he regarded as his home on the estate.

Then, for the last time, they returned together to Windsor, the royal home where Philip’s mother had been born way back in 1885 and where, on Friday morning, April 9, 2021, he ended his days with his wife of more 73 years at his side.

He gave his Lilibet a lifetime of unstinting support. He made her laugh. He understood her. She understood him. It was a unique marriage — the longest in all royal history — and it worked.

CH IG post tribute: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNnO9Ufg877/?igshid=38rgj3dja8uc

Last edited:

I've wondered about posting about this here but thought maybe a bit later on and in another thread may be best place but as its been mentioned. I was quite surprised that the BBC went so 'old school' in their coverage. I completely understand the BBC breaking into programmes to share the news but I do think, even if they stayed with the news for an hour or so they could then have reverted to something like the usual schedule on BBC2 (maybe with some of the key BBC1 programmes) and I didn't really get the point in BBC4 going off air completely. After hearing the news at 12noon I was surprised to tune into Radio 1 in the car on the way home at 4.30pm and find it had got rid of all its schedule but still had the presenter chipping in to the out of date "mellow" music every 15 minutes reiterating the news and promising a further news bulletin. Surely they could have changed the programme slightly - ditch competitions, phone ins etc and played more up to date music and still repeated the news. I mean this with great respect and I do think those who complained need to get a life...it takes much more effort to switch to Netflix or one of the other 800 channels than it does to formally complain to the BBC and it was only for one day, its not like its still back to back coverage now.

Anyway have to give praise the BBC news presenter who broke the news, she did a fab job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom