Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m looking for something from the Danish court, since he was born a prince of Greece and Denmark, and was in line to the Danish throne at birth - until he married.

It is rather distasteful to abuse the death of the Duke of Edinburgh for a continuation of the point-scoring that some members enjoy in the Sussex-discussion.

Posts on this subject have been and will be deleted.

I dont even know if all the children and grandchildren with partners will be able to go. How many people are allowed at funerals?

Just checked and it is 30.

Eight grandchildren...4 partners (Meghan wont be there), 4 children and three partners and the Queen. That is 20. And perhaps.the oldest great grandchildren, Savannah, Isla and George and perhaps David,Sarah and Lady Hicks. Bring it to 30. He would want a private ceremony.

I was wondering if the Mountbattens would come. I don't know if they were close to each other

It shouldn't surprise me but it does. I thought he'd be alive for another year or two. Will it be a private funeral because of covid? How "locked down" is England still?
Currently for a funeral 30 people are allowed, social distancing of course (if they don't live together or share a bubble).

Possibly it will be televised to avoid crowds gathering? Maybe?

I was wondering if the Mountbattens would come. I don't know if they were close to each other

Well Lady Pamela is the closest to him. I dont know if he is close to any of his sisters descendants to be honest. But Lady Pamela is also in her 90s but also the one raised with him. I would I imagine her and one of her children...maybe India would be there. I know they were close to Philip's nieces and nephews at one point but I have met heard or seen anything about them in recent years.

Well Lady Pamela is the closest to him. I dont know if he is close to any of his sisters descendants to be honest. But Lady Pamela is also in her 90s but also the one raised with him. I would I imagine her and one of her children...maybe India would be there. I know they were close to Philip's nieces and nephews at one point but I have met heard or seen anything about them in recent years.

Buckingham Palace will announce all that in due time.It is up to HM.

Very sad news but I suppose not unexpected, although I had hoped he would make it to his 100th birthday after he came out of hospital.

It's interesting to note that he was born in the year of the Centenary celebrations of of Greek independence and lived to see the bicentenary. And what a life in between.

I would like to second many of the lovely comments others have posted. His Royal Highness's life spanned many transformative eras in British and European history, and the ways in which he strived to adapt from being an effectively stateless royal in exile in the era between two world wars, to being a member of the British upper-class establishment and military, to being a rare male consort to a head of state in one of the few remaining monarchies in Europe after the second World War is fascinating and inspirational. In spite of his much scrutinized difficulties with adjusting to the requirements of his position and much public and private criticism, he clearly learned from his experiences and grew into a reliable, intensely hardworking, and innovative royal who understood and modernized the role of the British monarchy in the 20th century. His humorously self-critical, modest attitude was refreshing and relatable for a person in his position, and I will miss his presence.

I hope there will be a worthy public memorial service when conditions permit.

99 is already an impressive age to reach but how truly gutting that Philip wasn't able to make it to his 100th birthday :sad: That would've been a milestone fitting for a person as grand as him.

May he rest in peace.

What a great loss, my condolences to the Queen and British royal family.

I am also wondering whether any of his sister's children might attend - and maybe not partners but only the actual relative. I do think that a partner might very well give way to a cousin, niece or nephew for instance.

I suppose any German relatives would be restricted due to the need to do 10 days of quarantine on entering the UK and the funeral is expected to be in 7 or 8 days.

I am also wondering whether any of his sister's children might attend - and maybe not partners but only the actual relative. I do think that a partner might very well give way to a cousin, niece or nephew for instance.

I suppose any German relatives would be restricted due to the need to do 10 days of quarantine on entering the UK and the funeral is expected to be in 7 or 8 days.

Perhaps the Greek royal family may be able to make it but King Constantine is not in his good shape

Very sad news today. But what a life and what a man. I will always remember the support he gave to his grandsons walking behind the coffin.

Absolutely adored by his grandchildren. I will always remember Beateice, with tears in her eyes, saying 'my grandfather.' A symbol.of indominatable duty.

Perhaps the Greek royal family may be able to make it but King Constantine is not in his good shape

There are over 30 members in the immediate family. It isn't likely and I would say that many partners of the grandchildren may not be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister just called me to say that we have him to "thank" for weeks climbing up Snowdon, Cumbria and other extremely chilly places.

The DofE awards was really one of his greatest achievements.

Sad News.. He was one of a kind

RIP Prince Philip

I literally woke to the news alert on the phone . I’m devastated- and I can’t say why. In tears about a man I never knew. It’s like I have to adjust to a world without him and that takes a while. My heart hurts for the Queen and I am afraid.
I keep thinking about heaven and his reunion with people. I also have to think heaven just got a big dose of humor.

30 people for a funeral. I would think it'll be announced that no politicians or other officials will be attending: I doubt that any of them would want to take up a place that could go to one of Prince Philip's loved ones, and, if they asked Boris, they'd probably have to ask Keir Starmer (the leader of the Opposition) too, and maybe also Nicola Sturgeon (the Scottish First Minister) and the leaders of the other parties.

Sadly, a lot of families have recently been in this very difficult position of making a list and having to decide who can come and who can't, and that job will now fall to the Queen and maybe to Prince Charles. Maybe there'll be a memorial service at Westminster Abbey at a later date.

I hope someone's with the Queen, unless she prefers to be alone. We're not officially supposed to be going into other people's homes at the moment, but surely comforting a 95-year-old lady who's just lost her husband of over 70 years would be allowed on compassionate grounds.

I have just woken up and read this. I had so hoped he would see his 100th birthday in a couple of months. I am heartbroken for HMQ but what a life she and the DoE lived together.

RIP to HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. He was an original to the very end.

30 people for a funeral. I would think it'll be announced that no politicians or other officials will be attending: I doubt that any of them would want to take up a place that could go to one of Prince Philip's loved ones, and, if they asked Boris, they'd probably have to ask Keir Starmer (the leader of the Opposition) too, and maybe also Nicola Sturgeon (the Scottish First Minister) and the leaders of the other parties.

Sadly, a lot of families have recently been in this very difficult position of making a list and having to decide who can come and who can't, and that job will now fall to the Queen and maybe to Prince Charles. Maybe there'll be a memorial service at Westminster Abbey at a later date.

I hope someone's with the Queen, unless she prefers to be alone. We're not officially supposed to be going into other people's homes at the moment, but surely comforting a 95-year-old lady who's just lost her husband of over 70 years would be allowed on compassionate grounds.

Andrew, Sarah and Eugenie are very nearby.

Very sad news today. But what a life and what a man. I will always remember the support he gave to his grandsons walking behind the coffin.

Absolutely adored by his grandchildren. I will always remember Beateice, with tears in her eyes, saying 'my grandfather.' A symbol.of indominatable duty.
Me too. My heart hurts for her.

Well sadly it isn't. 30 people given the pandemic and the idea that limited movement of people is needed.

HM is very wel aware of that,thank you,hence my reply,it is up to HM who will attend.

But it is sad he passed in these covid times and no guests travelling from abroad to add
to the gravitas of his funerary ceremonies is sad.He deserved a full farewell.

But maybe later there will be a Memorial Service when travelling and such is safer.

I think if any of Philip's side of the family will be represented at the actual funeral and burial, it would probably be Countess Mountbatten of Burma, Penelope Knatchbull. She was very close friends with Philip and they both had a great love for carriage driving.

Just a quick list of 30:

1. The Queen
2. Charles
3. William
4. George ???
5. Harry ???
6. Andrew
7. Beatrice
8. Eugenie
9. Edward
10. Louise
11. James
12. Anne
13. Peter
14. Savannah
15. Isla
16. Zara
17. Mia ???
18. The Duke of Kent (his mother was Philip's first cousin)
19. Prince Michael of Kent
20. Princess Alexandra
21. Lady Pamela Mountbatten - maternal first cousin
22. The Countess of Burma

I haven't included Charlotte as she may be regarded as too young.

I haven't included any partners but if the partners are included then that would be another 11 and would exceed the 30 allowed.

The ??? beside Harry are due to the quarantine restrictions for someone coming from the US.

I think they will have the barest minimum next week and a full state memorial service when covid is over.

how very sad. i am sure the RF is devastated. philip was such a devoted companion to the queen over such a long period of time, she couldn't have hoped for a better life partner.

i feel specially sorry this has occured after H&Ms interview. the last few days that must have been sad and stressful for him, having to see the aftermath of this. but one thing that makes me happy is that his two latest great grandchildren were named after him, specially important after he underwent surgery and was poorly.

Currently for a funeral 30 people are allowed, social distancing of course (if they don't live together or share a bubble).

Possibly it will be televised to avoid crowds gathering? Maybe?

how inconvenient, i am sure many of the public would have liked the occasion to show their respects.

i wonder who the 30 people will be, but one can assume that at least all his children and grandchildren and their partners will be able to attend. wonder if H&M will fly over from USA.

What a terrible loss. After his recent hospital stay I feared the worst, and he looked so very frail in the most recent photos. But when the sad news comes it still hits you hard. He has always been there beside the Queen, supporting her and the monarchy, being a rock for her to rely on.

May he rest in peace.

Terrible news - devastated for the Queen ahead of what should have been a few months of celebration for them (her 95th and his 100th)

He has served the UK and Commonwealth for many decades and had a great sense of duty and loyalty to the Crown - the like of which we will never see the again.

His years in the Navy and his record during WW2 should also be highlighted at this time and not forgotten.

This is especially hard at this time during Covid - he can't have the funeral he deserved and the public will not have the same opportunity they would have to show their gratitude for his service and to their support to the Queen.

I remember when I completed my own Duke of Edinburgh and I met him during my Gold presentation - he had an amazing ability to put us all at ease, crack jokes and show interest in the activities we had completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom