The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Oh my God, just imagine what the poor queen is going through working out who the 30 are , just look at us. Or maybe she knows what she wants and people will just have to accept it.
I'd like to think she's got her children helping her.......This is brutal - necessary, but brutal. I don't think age has as much to do with it as closeness, to be honest; maybe some of the younger ones who didn't know Philip that well might sit this out. However it plays out, I'm sure everyone will have done their best. Maybe one day a much bigger group can get together and remember Philip.....in the not too distant future.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:39 PM
Courtier

I wonder if the QUeen's niece and nephew, Sarah and David will attend.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I wonder if the QUeen's niece and nephew, Sarah and David will attend.
Probably. Maybe even their kids. They do Christmas
Old 04-10-2021, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I think at 15 we could safely assume. 1 wife. 4 children. Eight grandchildren. Not much to think about there.

Exactly then add three more for the "core" list. Once thirty was permitted, then go on to the secondary list. Which might include his son-in-law and daughters-in-law, spouses of adult grandchildren etc...or whomever Phillip wanted to be present.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:47 PM
Nobility

I'm with poppy7, if possible, I hope the older great-grandchildren (Savannah, Isla, George, Mia, Charlotte) would be included. Or at the very least, they take them to see him one last time to say goodbye (there's a time between now and Saturday). For the kids' sake.

I lost my great-grandmother (my maternal grandfather's mother) when I was 6 and I was left at home during her funeral. The last time I saw her was 2 weeks before and she's well, telling me stories and giving me candies. My mother told me that she's no longer with us, that she'd joined my great-grandfather in heaven (he passed when I was 2), and she took me to her grave few weeks later when I asked her to "visit" her. While I did understand that my great-grandpa has gone and I won't ever meet him again, even after several visit to her grave, I somehow still thought I could visit her and she would tell me stories again for quite some time.

I lost my last great-grandmother (my maternal grandmother's mother) when I was 10, my youngest brother was 6 (he's very close with her). She died in her sleep a day after New Year so the whole family happened to be there the whole time (she lived with my grands and we gathered at their home for New Year). My brothers and I were able to say goodbye to her, my youngest brother even stayed in her bedroom until they took her out for funeral preparation. All of us were there thoughout the ceremony and even the burial that same afternoon. And honestly, my brother "coped" better than I did 4 years ago, we (he) knew that she'd never "wake up" and tell us stories again.

I lost my maternal grandmother when I was 20 while I was away for a month long uni project (We're very close, I can say by that point in time, I'd spent more time with her than with my mother). I visited her at the hospital before I left and I knew it's a goodbye, she died 2 days before the project completion and since it'd take at least 23 hours travel there's no way I could make it to her funeral, but I was okay, I could let go, saying goodbye on her grave was enough.

Age should not be a reason to exclude the kids, in fact I'll use it as reason the include them to teach them about life and death. I'll never forget my great-grandma's funeral, it's a life lesson for me which place the base to help me putting perspective about life and death growing up, including during my darkest time when I stopped myself from cutting my wrist at 12 and later, to let my grandma go at 20. So between the Duke of Kent and Savannah, if it's on me, I'll give the seat to Savannah, though better leave Louis, Lena, Lucas, and August at home with nannies.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Exactly then add three more for the "core" list. Once thirty was permitted, then go on to the secondary list. Which might include his son-in-law and daughters-in-law, spouses of adult grandchildren etc...or whomever Phillip wanted to be present.
2? And they probably wouldn't have as that would mean leaving out one child in law. Can't do that so best to leave out all. This gets easier when you its viewed in groups.

In my head you do. Wife. Kids. Grand kids. Great grandkids. In laws. Niece and Nephew.

Or you remove one whole.group and reace with another.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm putting this here for obvious reasons, but I suppose it may belong in the Relationships thread.

I've always been interested in Charles' relationship with his parents; this one has some insights into his with Philip.

They really did have quite a few things in common - it's just that Charles wasn't the alpha-male Philip was.

I didn't realize Camilla had helped bring them together; she's really remarkable. It actually reminds me of how Kate helped bring Charles and William closer.

I'm so glad that Charles and his father "reconciled" and grew closer over the years. There are few things in this world worse than living with regret....

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-10/...prince-charles
Old 04-10-2021, 09:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
I'm with poppy7, if possible, I hope the older great-grandchildren (Savannah, Isla, George, Mia, Charlotte) would be included. Or at the very least, they take them to see him one last time to say goodbye (there's a time between now and Saturday). For the kids' sake.

I lost my great-grandmother (my maternal grandfather's mother) when I was 6 and I was left at home during her funeral. The last time I saw her was 2 weeks before and she's well, telling me stories and giving me candies. My mother told me that she's no longer with us, that she'd joined my great-grandfather in heaven (he passed when I was 2), and she took me to her grave few weeks later when I asked her to "visit" her. While I did understand that my great-grandpa has gone and I won't ever meet him again, even after several visit to her grave, I somehow still thought I could visit her and she would tell me stories again for quite some time.

I lost my last great-grandmother (my maternal grandmother's mother) when I was 10, my youngest brother was 6 (he's very close with her). She died in her sleep a day after New Year so the whole family happened to be there the whole time (she lived with my grands and we gathered at their home for New Year). My brothers and I were able to say goodbye to her, my youngest brother even stayed in her bedroom until they took her out for funeral preparation. All of us were there thoughout the ceremony and even the burial that same afternoon. And honestly, my brother "coped" better than I did 4 years ago, we (he) knew that she'd never "wake up" and tell us stories again.

I lost my maternal grandmother when I was 20 while I was away for a month long uni project (We're very close, I can say by that point in time, I'd spent more time with her than with my mother). I visited her at the hospital before I left and I knew it's a goodbye, she died 2 days before the project completion and since it'd take at least 23 hours travel there's no way I could make it to her funeral, but I was okay, I could let go, saying goodbye on her grave was enough.

Age should not be a reason to exclude the kids, in fact I'll use it as reason the include them to teach them about life and death. I'll never forget my great-grandma's funeral, it's a life lesson for me which place the base to help me putting perspective about life and death growing up, including during my darkest time when I stopped myself from cutting my wrist at 12 and later, to let my grandma go at 20. So between the Duke of Kent and Savannah, if it's on me, I'll give the seat to Savannah, though better leave Louis, Lena, Lucas, and August at home with nannies.
I think it is incredibly important to learn the rituals of life and death within the safe place of an elderly relatives passing. I say safe as it is a normal life progression. To understand this but also to gain through social learning an appreciation that you to will cope with an emotional life upheaval because you are seeing others do it.

Basically kids need to see and experience things happen or they just don't get it.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
2? And they probably wouldn't have as that would mean leaving out one child in law. Can't do that so best to leave out all. This gets easier when you its viewed in groups.

In my head you do. Wife. Kids. Grand kids. Great grandkids. In laws. Niece and Nephew.

Or you remove one whole.group and reace with another.

Oh good Lord my counting skills are not existent today. Thank you for catching that poppy7.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
For me small children and some spouses will be absent to make rooms for, at least, The Duke of Goucester, the Kents brothers and Pcess Alexandra.
Absolutely! They are still listed on the website as part of the RF.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
For me small children and some spouses will be absent to make rooms for, at least, The Duke of Goucester, the Kents brothers and Pcess Alexandra.
Absolutely! They are still listed on the website as part of the RF.
Most of the small children and spouses are listed as part of the Royal Family as well. It is a lengthy list.

https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/f..._family_11.pdf
Old 04-10-2021, 09:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Most of the small children and spouses are listed as part of the Royal Family as well. It is a lengthy list.

https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/f..._family_11.pdf
45 without Phil.

But Meghan and Archie are out. Serena. Autumn. Lena. Louis.

Delays others are you see fit.

You gotta loose 10.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:50 PM
Nobility

I'm guessing the Queen, Charles, Camilla, Anne, Tim, Andrew, Edward, Sophie; William, Kate, Harry, Peter, Zara, Mike, Beatrice, Edo, Eugenie, Jack, Louise, and James (That's 20)

Then maybe George, Charlotte, Savannah, Isla (24)

Just guessing: Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra, Countess Mountbatten, Pamela Hicks, Ashley Hicks (29)

Or maybe: Fergie, Autumn Phillips, Duke of Gloucester, Michael of Kent, some German niece or nephew

Plus the private secetary
Old 04-10-2021, 09:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Sophie and Edward have just left Windsor Castle according to The Daily Telegraph's live blog

As she left Windsor Castle, the Countess of Wessex said "the Queen has been amazing".

Sophie spoke to reporters from a Land Rover driven by her husband, the Earl of Wessex.

The couple spent around an hour at the castle on Saturday morning
My heart broke for Sophie when I watched the clip of this interaction. She's always been so close to both HM and the late DoE and it was very, very clear that this was very much a family moment more that anything else. It's so very clear how much she's admired HM through the years and she was so honest and real with her comment and the small smile this morning.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I think it is incredibly important to learn the rituals of life and death within the safe place of an elderly relatives passing. I say safe as it is a normal life progression. To understand this but also to gain through social learning an appreciation that you to will cope with an emotional life upheaval because you are seeing others do it.

Basically kids need to see and experience things happen or they just don't get it.
Agree. During my great-grandma's funeral, I've heard story about her life, how she lived through wartime and her struggle in raising her two daughters alone without husband, but she pulled through and lived on till old age. Compare to hers, me being bullied at school seemed so paled in comparison, a silly reason to end my life at 12. I learnt to appreciate my life, be strong instead of thinking of suicide when things get hard.

Another lesson was that death is natural course of life, so I have no regret about missing my grandma's funeral. I'd said my goodbye and it's more important for me to cherish the memory of her than fixate to the fact that I wasn't with her during her last hour or that I didn't witness her burial. And 5 years later, to let go of my grandpa instead of prolonging his misery (his health had deteriorated rapidly after grandma's passed and he's on life support in the last 2 months of his life).

Maybe because it was my great-grandma (not some stranger famous figure) and the fact that I was 10 (so there's still a lot of "blank space" in my mind to be filled), those "lessons" are engraved so deeply in my mind and I'm grateful for that. And I wish the same thing for Savannah, Isla, George, Mia, and Charlotte (especially George because his future life wouldn't be an easy ride).
Old 04-10-2021, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
I was just wondering, aren't all Countesses by marriages to Counts? Are there any Countesses who are by their own rights?
At the present time there is only the Countess of Mar. All other British peeresses in their own right, whether hereditary or life, are baronesses/ladies.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I'm putting this here for obvious reasons, but I suppose it may belong in the Relationships thread.

I've always been interested in Charles' relationship with his parents; this one has some insights into his with Philip.

They really did have quite a few things in common - it's just that Charles wasn't the alpha-male Philip was.

I didn't realize Camilla had helped bring them together; she's really remarkable. It actually reminds me of how Kate helped bring Charles and William closer.

I'm so glad that Charles and his father "reconciled" and grew closer over the years. There are few things in this world worse than living with regret....

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-10/...prince-charles

This was a lovely article. I’m glad they were able to grow closer.

It’s long been interesting to me that as different as their temperaments were, Charles and Philip had a lot of similar interests: the environment, painting, youth, both forward thinkers, etc. I would think that would have been helpful. They were talking points that weren’t emotional landlines.

It’s interesting- though not surprising really IMO - that the women (Camilla and Catherine) were likely instrumental in helping the men work things out.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
This was a lovely article. I’m glad they were able to grow closer.

It’s long been interesting to me that as different as their temperaments were, Charles and Philip had a lot of similar interests: the environment, painting, youth, both forward thinkers, etc.
So true, and I’m sure it pleased Philip a great deal that Charles took his advocacy about the environment to heart and subsequently passed on that love of same to William.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:24 PM
Aristocracy

I feel very sad for the queen as she will feel alone I believe even though surrounded by a great family. My condolences to my fellow commenters who admired him and also feel the loss, especially those in Great Britain. May he always rest in peace.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:31 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Philip is one of those figures who pre-existed the start of my lifetime. To have lived into the hundredth year of a lifespan is something to be grateful for. I will, of course, be watching his funeral with interest and reflect on the statement Her Majesty made years ago, that we all owed him a debt far greater than we would ever know.

Closed Thread