The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 06:33 PM
Majesty

I’m sure Prince Philip and the Queen will have discussed the attendance of their relatives, very young to very old, at their funerals long ago, along with all the other arrangements, and almost certainly adjusted things when Covid hit.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I’m sure Prince Philip and the Queen will have discussed the attendance of their relatives, very young to very old, at their funerals long ago, along with all the other arrangements, and almost certainly adjusted things when Covid hit.
Well...probably not to be honest. I mean we be talking over 800 guests at his and over 1000 at hers so they probably didn't worry about that.

Some people have been buried entirely alone during these times. Families have been prevented from even being in a room to mourn with their loved ones.

They are lucky on that front. I dont think anyone will be in th least put out to not be there. In fact, for many people they may be much happier that their elderly relatives in this time don't have to travel for a funeral.

HMS Bubble have been pretty much living with the Queen and Philip over the past year. They should walk behind the funeral.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Serene Highness

I saw now that the press statement reads that not everyone taking part in the procession will enter St George’s Chapel, except The Royal Family and The Duke of Edinburgh’s Private Secretary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D49C0465-B3BF-4174-8D5F-76BC12A8A1CA.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	302524  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe I am wrong but I think that the funerals ceremonies being very limited because of the covid would have pleased him. I think he didn't like the fuss.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I saw now that the press statement reads that not everyone taking part in the procession will enter St George’s Chapel, except The Royal Family and The Duke of Edinburgh’s Private Secretary.
Which is basically what is happening in normal peoples lives at the moment.

Sounds like a nice compromise.

When I was at Windsor today there were things about cranes and things. Wouldn't surprise me if they set up an area outside for some people, staff, maybe one or two invites to watch.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
Maybe I am wrong but I think that the funerals ceremonies being very limited because of the covid would have pleased him. I think he didn't like the fuss.
That’s precisely what i think ! The irony that Covid-19 itself makes sure that he gets the no fuss service he likely always wanted with only those close to him there instead of Kings, Queens, Presidents and Ambassadors from every corner around the world..
Old 04-10-2021, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

It is a sad irony that Covid is allowing Philip to have the funeral he probably would have always wanted - just close family and less fuss.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
It is a sad irony that Covid is allowing Philip to have the funeral he probably would have always wanted - just close family and less fuss.
I think he always would have had the one he wanted. This is just smaller. I mean most of the 800 guests would have been charities and extended family. Family of his in laws. Friends of his children. Like most of us. He just will get the nearest and dearest and his beloved and dedicated staff. Sounds good.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I think he always would have had the one he wanted. This is just smaller. I mean most of the 800 guests would have been charities and extended family. Family of his in laws. Friends of his children. Like most of us. He just will get the nearest and dearest and his beloved and dedicated staff. Sounds good.
Knowing the late DoE, he'd probably think 30 people is still too many....
Old 04-10-2021, 07:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
Knowing the late DoE, he'd probably think 30 people is still too many....
Well give his own family, currently, with spouses, number 31. I think not. He would.have always wanted his family there.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:07 PM
Courtier

I think if George goes, Charlotte should go with him. Would reps from the Kent and Gloucester families be there? Princess Alexandra or Prince Michael or Duke of Kent. and perhaps the Gloucesters.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:15 PM
Courtier

Well I'm sure someone addressed this upthread- but as to attendance how many children and grandchildren and great grandchildren are there?
Old 04-10-2021, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Well I'm sure someone addressed this upthread- but as to attendance how many children and grandchildren and great grandchildren are there?
All in they number 31. Meghan won't be there. The babies wont be there. So drop back family members form that as you see fit and add others. Announcement said Private Secretary and royal family will.enter the church. So 29 total family members. Get your bingo cards going.

Well actually without Meghan and Archie they would be 29. Quids in.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:38 PM
Courtier

This attendance list guessing is interesting....

We have to remember that Phillip was probably closer to some of his staff than his grandchildren and it would be unfair to not let them attend. I think we’ll see the 4 children and their spouses, and all of the grandchildren sans (expect future Queen Kate). That’s 17. Possibly Savannah representing all of the great-grandkids, or Savannah, Isla and George. That’d make 20. Penny Mountbatten and possibly 1 or 2 more from that side of the family. Princess Margaret’s children sans spouses. That’s 25. 5 for staff, patronages and charities.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
This attendance list guessing is interesting....

We have to remember that Phillip was probably closer to some of his staff than his grandchildren and it would be unfair to not let them attend. I think we’ll see the 4 children and their spouses, and all of the grandchildren sans (expect future Queen Kate). That’s 17. Possibly Savannah representing all of the great-grandkids, or Savannah, Isla and George. That’d make 20. Penny Mountbatten and possibly 1 or 2 more from that side of the family. Princess Margaret’s children sans spouses. That’s 25. 5 for staff, patronages and charities.
They all bar 1, his private secretary, will be family.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:58 PM
Serene Highness

The Household Cavalry pay military tributes for Prince Philip by giving a salute and taking part in 2 minute silence opposite Windsor Castle.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Oh my God, just imagine what the poor queen is going through working out who the 30 are , just look at us. Or maybe she knows what she wants and people will just have to accept it.

I believe it's the latter and likely that she and Phillip worked out the list of attendees in the past year or recent months once COVID restrictions began. After all these two are used to planning so many aspects of their lives, it wouldn't surprise me if they already worked it on for both of their funerals should they occur during the pandemic.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

I would expect at least one Kent to be there for the simple reason that Princess Marina was Prince Philip's first cousin and he would often stay at Coppins when on leave from the Navy during the war. It was at Marina and George's wedding when he first came into contact with Elizabeth definitely. They may or may not have spoken at that wedding but they were both there. Maybe all three Kent's will attend.

I am not sure that the Duke of Gloucester would be included. He is the Queen's first cousin and thus a first cousin by marriage of Philip's but not as closely related to Philip in person as the Kent's are.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Philip wrote his own list of 30 as soon as he knew that the number was increasing from this coming Monday. He has planned all details of his funeral to the last detail it seems so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give Charles the list of 15 if his funeral had to take place while that limit was in place and then he personally increased it to 30. I can also see him doing that as it would be just one more way to serve his beloved Lilibet by not having her have to make those decisions while she was mourning him.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I would expect at least one Kent to be there for the simple reason that Princess Marina was Prince Philip's first cousin and he would often stay at Coppins when on leave from the Navy during the war. It was at Marina and George's wedding when he first came into contact with Elizabeth definitely. They may or may not have spoken at that wedding but they were both there. Maybe all three Kent's will attend.

I am not sure that the Duke of Gloucester would be included. He is the Queen's first cousin and thus a first cousin by marriage of Philip's but not as closely related to Philip in person as the Kent's are.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Philip wrote his own list of 30 as soon as he knew that the number was increasing from this coming Monday. He has planned all details of his funeral to the last detail it seems so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give Charles the list of 15 if his funeral had to take place while that limit was in place and then he personally increased it to 30. I can also see him doing that as it would be just one more way to serve his beloved Lilibet by not having her have to make those decisions while she was mourning him.

I definitely agree with the last paragraph that Phillip had a core list of 15 and then an additional one if the number could be increased. Also I agree with your last sentence that it was a loving act of service to have the list created ahead of time.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I definitely agree with the last paragraph that Phillip had a core list of 15 and then an additional one if the number could be increased. Also I agree with your last sentence that it was a loving act of service to have the list created ahead of time.
I think at 15 we could safely assume. 1 wife. 4 children. Eight grandchildren. Not much to think about there.

Closed Thread