The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #521  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:11 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: St. Charles, United States
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
So possibly...

1. H.M The Queen
2. H.R.H The Prince of Wales
3. H.R.H The Duchess of Cornwall
4. H.R.H The Duke of Cambridge
5. H.R.H The Duchess of Cambridge
6. H.R.H The Duke of Sussex
7. H.R.H The Duke of York
8. H.R.H The Princess Beatrice Mrs Edoardo Mapelli-Mozzi
9. H.R.H The Princess Eugenie Mrs Jack Brooksbank
10. H.R.H The Earl of Wessex
11. H.R.H The Countess of Wessex
12. Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor
13. James, Viscount Severn
14. H.R.H The Princess Royal
15. Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence
16. Mr Peter Phillips
17. Mrs Zara Tindall
18. Mr Mike Tindall
19. The 2:nd Earl Snowdon
20. Lady Sarah Chatto
21. Mr Daniel Chatto
22. The Countess Mountbatten of Burma
23. Lady Pamela Hicks
24. Mr Ashley Hicks
25. Private Secretary

That would leave 5 seats.... Perhaps for George, Charlotte, Savannah, Isla and Mia if they decide that great grandchildren will attend.... Otherwise longtime staff members..... I would be very surprised to see the Kent’s or the Gloucester’s there... Maybe The Duke of Kent if there turns out to be a space for him as he is quite close related to Philip Too... But i don’t think those branches will have priority...
There won't be any small children there. The ceremony will be too long for any of them to attend.
__________________

  #522  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:12 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
His sisters are all dead for many years now.
And his children between them had a lot of children. And while he was close to Sophie I dont know about the rest of the family.
__________________

  #523  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:13 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,410
I see that the press release states that members of The Duke of Edinburgh’s household will also walk behind the coffin... i get the impression there will be more people from his staff there than just his private secretary...

If that’s the case, i’m almost sure that the great grandchildren won’t be inside the Chapel (but likely watching on tv from inside the castle)
  #524  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:15 PM
tihkon2's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stafford, United States
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I see that the press release states that members of The Duke of Edinburgh’s household will also walk behind the coffin... i get the impression there will be more people from his staff there than just his private secretary...

If that’s the case, I’m almost sure that the great grandchildren won’t be inside the Chapel (but likely watching on tv from inside the castle)
I think you're right. Some of his staff have probably been with him for 40 years or more. And I'm sure HM will let a select few come.
  #525  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:15 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: N/A, Bulgaria
Posts: 441
The rule of 30 may look stern but I believe it's for the best. My grandfather died last summer and while holding a service inside the church was forbidden and large gatherings not encouraged - for funerals, only the presence of the family was officially recommended, - there were many people who showed up to the churchyard. I appreciated their desire to say goodbye and they did try to observe some distancing but it was hard. It was particularly difficult to keep my sister in-law, who had a two month old at the time, sufficiently apart from everyone else. Many times during the service, I wished that she had just stayed home but she insisted on coming. We had an elderly mourner with a heart condition faint due to swelter and emotion.


Overall, I support the forced reduction in numbers and 30 is a decent number even for someone with so many to mourn him as the Duke of Edinburgh. It's good of everyone not so closely related to free up space. We're living in a very particular time.
  #526  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:15 PM
Tarlita's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,273
HRH gave close to 6,000 speeches which he wrote himself. Many of our ex Politicians and dignitaries having been regaling us with many Prince Philip annecdotes, giving us plenty of laughs. Laughter was another essential part of His Royal Highnesses life along with his dignity, honour and integrity. He was quintessentially a thorough gentleman.

My heart goes out to the Queen who had a special relationship with her life partner after all those wonderful exciting years together.
  #527  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:15 PM
Royalist.in.NC's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Nowheresville, United States
Posts: 367
Louise is a grandchild not a great grandchild. I think that she and her brother will definitely be there. I agree that many of the great grandchildren are old enough to attend and would attend were it not for the Covid restriction of 30 people. Due to that number I think that Sarah and David, Margaret’s children, for example, had a longer and closer relationship with him and would provide more comfort to the Queen. I would be very surprised if they weren’t there.
  #528  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:16 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
I would more expect Lady Pamela Hicks to be there, rather than Penelope Knatchbull.
Perhaps both of them. All I know is that Philip and Penny were very close over the years. They both were carriage driving aficionados. Both the Queen and Philip were there for Penny when Norton took off for the tropics.

Here is an interesting article that tells us more about the Countess Mountbatten of Burma.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...ton-Knatchbull
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #529  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:16 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: St. Charles, United States
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
I think you're right. Some of his staff have probably been with him for 40 years or more. And I'm sure HM will let a select few come.
Or maybe they will walk behind the casket but not go inside for the ceremony.
  #530  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I see that the press release states that members of The Duke of Edinburgh’s household will also walk behind the coffin... i get the impression there will be more people from his staff there than just his private secretary...

If that’s the case, i’m almost sure that the great grandchildren won’t be inside the Chapel (but likely watching on tv from inside the castle)
They won't be able to able to do that.

I am sure the staff will. I am less sure that they will go in. They are more likely to watch a life feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
The rule of 30 may look stern but I believe it's for the best. My grandfather died last summer and while holding a service inside the church was forbidden and large gatherings not encouraged - for funerals, only the presence of the family was officially recommended, - there were many people who showed up to the churchyard. I appreciated their desire to say goodbye and they did try to observe some distancing but it was hard. It was particularly difficult to keep my sister in-law, who had a two month old at the time, sufficiently apart from everyone else. Many times during the service, I wished that she had just stayed home but she insisted on coming. We had an elderly mourner with a heart condition faint due to swelter and emotion.


Overall, I support the forced reduction in numbers and 30 is a decent number even for someone with so many to mourn him as the Duke of Edinburgh. It's good of everyone not so closely related to free up space. We're living in a very particular time.
This happened at a friends fathers funeral too. Our friends lined up outside the church throughout the service.

I was due to return to the UK the day before and in normal circumstances would have postponed to attend the funeral but I went ahead and watched it by life feed.
  #531  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:20 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,129
Oh my God, just imagine what the poor queen is going through working out who the 30 are , just look at us. Or maybe she knows what she wants and people will just have to accept it.
  #532  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:23 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Penny is now Countess Mountbatten.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Yes, by marriage, but not in her own right.
I was just wondering, aren't all Countesses by marriages to Counts? Are there any Countesses who are by their own rights?
  #533  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:23 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Oh my God, just imagine what the poor queen is going through working out who the 30 are , just look at us. Or maybe she knows what she wants and people will just have to accept it.
It isn't a big deal. People all over have had to do and it comes down to priorities. She will be fine. This has been going on for a year in peoples lives people have got married, died, the works and everyone just watched it live and understands.

Everyone will understand.
  #534  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:24 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Penny is now Countess Mountbatten.

Yes, by marriage, but not in her own right.

I was just wondering, aren't all Countesses by marriages to Counts? Are there any Countesses who are by their own rights?
Not the first one. She was the heir in her own right.
  #535  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:27 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
So possibly...

1. H.M The Queen
2. H.R.H The Prince of Wales
3. H.R.H The Duchess of Cornwall
4. H.R.H The Duke of Cambridge
5. H.R.H The Duchess of Cambridge
6. H.R.H The Duke of Sussex
7. H.R.H The Duke of York
8. H.R.H The Princess Beatrice Mrs Edoardo Mapelli-Mozzi
9. H.R.H The Princess Eugenie Mrs Jack Brooksbank
10. H.R.H The Earl of Wessex
11. H.R.H The Countess of Wessex
12. Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor
13. James, Viscount Severn
14. H.R.H The Princess Royal
15. Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence
16. Mr Peter Phillips
17. Mrs Zara Tindall
18. Mr Mike Tindall
19. The 2:nd Earl Snowdon
20. Lady Sarah Chatto
21. Mr Daniel Chatto
22. The Countess Mountbatten of Burma
23. Lady Pamela Hicks
24. Mr Ashley Hicks
25. Private Secretary

That would leave 5 seats.... Perhaps for George, Charlotte, Savannah, Isla and Mia if they decide that great grandchildren will attend.... Otherwise longtime staff members..... I would be very surprised to see the Kent’s or the Gloucester’s there... Maybe The Duke of Kent if there turns out to be a space for him as he is quite close related to Philip Too... But i don’t think those branches will have priority...

For me small children and some spouses will be absent to make rooms for, at least, The Duke of Goucester, the Kents brothers and Pcess Alexandra.
  #536  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
It isn't a big deal. People all over have had to do and it comes down to priorities. She will be fine. This has been going on for a year in peoples lives people have got married, died, the works and everyone just watched it live and understands.

Everyone will understand.
Exactly and she will have already decided if the great grand children are going or not regardless of age.
  #537  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:29 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Penny is now Countess Mountbatten.


I was just wondering, aren't all Countesses by marriages to Counts? Are there any Countesses who are by their own rights?[/QUOTE]

There aren’t any Counts in the British peerage. They are Earls, an extremely old ranking. There are Counts in some European peerages. I believe there are a few Countesses in their own right in the Scottish system of inherited titles, which works differently to England’s.
  #538  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:31 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Penny is now Countess Mountbatten.


I was just wondering, aren't all Countesses by marriages to Counts? Are there any Countesses who are by their own rights?[/QUOTE]

In a few cases, the letters patent are issued with a special reminder to allow for the eldest daughter to inherit the titles.

That was the case for Earl Mountbatten of Burma. That creation was made with a special reminder to allow his eldest daughter Lady Patricia, to inherit her fathers titles.

There is no such case in the currently living Royal Family as far as i know
  #539  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:31 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
Or maybe they will walk behind the casket but not go inside for the ceremony.

Yes that is what the palace information says will happen.

https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0
  #540  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
For me small children and some spouses will be absent to make rooms for, at least, The Duke of Goucester, the Kents brothers and Pcess Alexandra.
Priorities.

And there are seven of them. Who would would you kick out?

You can't ask one without the others and they are all getting really elderly now...even Prince and Princess Michael of Kent. And to be honest safety is best.

It's a tough one. It's hard when you can only invite a few.

But for instance Philip was raised with the Montbattens and there is only one.

Also the note says member after the royal family will attend and special so I guess it will be them.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Death of HRH Princess Lalla Fatima Zohra ( 1929-2014) Mademoiselle Lilo Royal Family of Morocco 3 10-19-2014 04:51 PM
Death of HRH Princess Lalla Amina (1954-2012) elladora Royal Family of Morocco 16 09-02-2012 06:37 PM
Death of HRH Princess Lalla Aicha: 17 June 1930-4 September 2011 kaoutar Royal Family of Morocco 28 10-06-2011 08:46 PM
Death of HRH The Duke of Parma 18 August 2010 iceflower Royal Families of Italy 149 11-06-2010 02:26 PM
Bahrain: Death of HRH Prince Faisal, son of King Hamad - January 12, 2006 fanletizia Royal and Ruling Families of the Gulf States 17 01-15-2006 12:02 PM




Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asia birth britain britannia british british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries coronation crown jewels customs duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life fashion and style gemstones george vi gradenigo harry and meghan hello! henry viii highgrove hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs japan japanese imperial family japan history kensington palace king edward vii lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists monarchy mongolia names nara period pless politics prince harry queen elizabeth ii royal ancestry solomon j solomon spanish royal family st edward sussex suthida thai royal family tradition united states of america wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×