The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I believe that was taken at the JFK memorial site that was gifted to the US by the Queen and the UK the year after the assassination.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/h...h-jfk-memorial
I wouldn't be surprised if they knew JFK before he was president. I am sure they knew his sister Kathleen as she was in that aristocratic gang having been married into the Devonshires.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they knew JFK before he was president. I am sure they knew his sister Kathleen as she was in that aristocratic gang having been married into the Devonshires.
Also, Joseph P. Kennedy, JFK's father, served as the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom from 1938 to late 1940. There have been ties from the Kennedys to the UK quite often over the years.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:44 PM
Courtier

Rose Kennedy and her daughters were presented at court.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Chris Ship@chrisshipitv NEW: Boris Johnson will NOT attend the funeral of #princephilip next Saturday.
Downing Street says the Prime Minister has “throughout wanted to act in accordance with what is best for the Royal household” and won’t go “to allow for as many family members as possible” to attend.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

PM Boris Johnson won't attend the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral (not that many of thought he would) It will “allow for as many family members as possible” to attend.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Also, Joseph P. Kennedy, JFK's father, served as the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom from 1938 to late 1940. There have been ties from the Kennedys to the UK quite often over the years.
Mmmm. Hence how Kathleen met her husband. The Queen would have been a little young to be within their sphere but the Duke may have been. Socially.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I knew that Prince Philip was one of only 4 dignitaries permitted entrance to the private family quarters of the White House on the weekend of JFK's assassination (Eamon de Valera of Ireland, Charles de Gaulle, and Emperor Selassie of Ethiopia were the others) but this is the first time I have read that he spent time in the nursery entertaining John Jr.

What a poignant, revealing story.

I didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing.

It is a lovely, poignant and revealing story about Philip playing with JFK Jr. The photo of Philip holding his hand later is really touching too.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:06 PM
Aristocracy

Wouldn't Prince George be there? As he is the future King?
Old 04-10-2021, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
I personally think he is a bit young but that would be for his parents to decide. Not sure if children count in the 30.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika86 View Post
Chris Ship@chrisshipitv NEW: Boris Johnson will NOT attend the funeral of #princephilip next Saturday.
Downing Street says the Prime Minister has “throughout wanted to act in accordance with what is best for the Royal household” and won’t go “to allow for as many family members as possible” to attend.
That’s classy...
Old 04-10-2021, 03:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Mmmm. Hence how Kathleen met her husband. The Queen would have been a little young to be within their sphere but the Duke may have been. Socially.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Joseph Kennedy and the new king, George VI had interactions with each other during the time of JPK's ambassadorship to the UK. The future Queen could have met him then. This was also pre WWII but after the abdication.

All this makes me realize just how long Philip has been "on the books" during all of this history that we see as being long past. He's seen so much over his long 99 years.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Prince George is only a few months away from turning eight. We do not know whether or not it will be decided by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Parents may feel that he is still too young to attend a funeral.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
PM Boris Johnson won't attend the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral (not that many of thought he would) It will “allow for as many family members as possible” to attend.
Good...it would wrong in a way as it is now something akin to a normal family funeral and having to lose a family member for someone you probably didn’t know and probably protocol dictates should be there ..well this is the right decision in covid times.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I think I can relate to similar feelings.

I've seen it said on this forum that "he came from a time when men were men, and men were gentlemen." Prince Philip was an energetic former military man who willingly accepted carrying out public duties that were, mostly, unsung and probably not very interesting, without ever seeking greater recognition. In a world where everyone wants their two minutes of fame, or wants a job that's immediately fulfilling, Prince Philip's attitude now seems so rare. It feels like with him, the uncomplaining and resilient character of his generation has passed away. There seems no one to quite replace him.
We wouldn’t want replacement anyway. I read a post on here asking “is my grief werid “ No- I feel the same.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
He probably will have many decades before he becomes King. At his age, he might not be brought to the funeral. Maybe none of the great grandchildren will attend, Peter Phillips and his now ex wife had the first great grandchild and she's only 10.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Some footage from around the various royal residences earlier today.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:56 PM
Nobility

Children would be included in the 30. I can’t see any of the great grandchildren attending they are all still young.

1. Queen
2. POW
3. Camilla
4. Anne
5. Tim
6. Andrew
7 Sarah?
8. Edward
9. Sophie
10. Peter
11. Zara
12. Mike
13. William
14. Catherine
15. Harry
16. Beatrice
17. Eduardo
18. Eugenie
19. Jack
20. Louise
21. James
22. Private Secretary
23. Sarah Chatto
24. Daniel Chatto ?
25. Earl Snowdon
26. Lady Pamela Hicks
27. Countess of Burma.

3 others.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness

I expect the same - they might setup a room for them in the castle to watch on TV . Like what was done for Diana.
I expect the children of the Duke's sisters, Sophia and Theodora to make up the rest.
There is a possibility that Tim, Jack, Eduardo Daniel and Mike - might be asked to give up their set for the elder family members. Possibly even Louise and James. I just think it is more important for them and possible the god children that he placed through school to be there.
I see that some new outlets are saying the Middletons are coming, as well. Severally doubt it.
Sarah will not be attending.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:03 PM
Courtier

I would have been totally surprised if Sarah Ferguson attended! I think Louise and James will attend.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

I would definitely count Louise and James attending as they were very close to their grandfather. I found it quite touching to hear that Louise took her grandfather's ponies out for exercise the morning of his death. She'll continue Philip's love for carriage driving.

https://meaww.com/lady-louise-windso...ed-sport-rules