The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 01:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Well I can't imagine you would tell Zara and Beatrice and Eugenie not to.
And what about Louise?

Old 04-10-2021, 01:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I hope the Queen doesn't arrive at the chapel alone and have to wait for the others and the coffin.

I would I imagine that all of he children and grandchildren will walk behind the coffin but I imagine any partners and perhaps some of the children will arrive at the chapel ahead of the children.

I would ot be surprised to see Sophie actually being with the Queen.

The Queen, the Private Secretary, 7 children and partners. 8 grandchildren and probably 5 partners (I see Autumn being there) and a couple of great grand kids I dont see anyone else there
That comes to 22. As noted, there are several German nieces & nephews - not sure whether they're in good health to travel but I would imagine they, along with the Earl of Snowdon and Sarah Chatto are possibly more likely than any of the great-grandchildren, though it's hard to say. Savannah, Isla, George, Mia and Charlotte are all old enough to attend.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
That comes to 22. As noted, there are several German nieces & nephews - not sure whether they're in good health to travel but I would imagine they, along with the Earl of Snowdon and Sarah Chatto are possibly more likely than any of the great-grandchildren, though it's hard to say. Savannah, Isla, George, Mia and Charlotte are all old enough to attend.

And the German nephews and niece have the Problem with the quarantine, Perhaps Lady Pamela Hicks will attend as i think she is still in good health and was always close to him and HM.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I can imagine the thoughts going through the Queen's mind as she sees the huge congregation of her family that follows behind the coffin of her beloved Philip. With a smile, she thinks "This is his legacy. This is what we created together". She will see Philip reflected in different ways in each and every family member. In a way, maybe she'll realize that he really hasn't left her but continues on through her, her children, her grandchildren and her great grandchildren and also her beloved nation. She'll smile as she realizes that it's only a short separation now until they meet again. A lifetime they spent together with each one of them allowed to be their own individual selves has done them both proud and has endured through thick and thin and ups and downs but never broken.

I believe this touching ceremony will surround our Queen's heart and soul and give her peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
And the German nephews and niece have the Problem with the quarantine, Perhaps Lady Pamela Hicks will attend as i think she is still in good health and was always close to him and HM.
I expect to see the Countess of Burma, Penelope Knatchbull there definitely. She was very close to Philip over the years.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:38 PM
Aristocracy

I assume a larger service of remembrance will take place in the future after restrictions are gone, possibly in a year.

So for that reason, I hope the older great-grandchildren can attend, rather than possibly more distant relatives.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56702886

Prince Philip: Charles says dear papa was very special
The Prince of Wales has paid tribute to his "dear papa", the Duke of Edinburgh, saying that he and the Royal Family miss him "enormously".

He said the duke, who died at Windsor Castle on Friday, aged 99, had given the "most remarkable, devoted service" to the Queen, the Royal Family, the country, and the Commonwealth.

Prince Charles has spoken from Highgrove about his father

Sky News has reported Anne has left Windsor castle after visiting her mother, she was with Sir Tim and Peter Phillips.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsIsabel/st...39093522186242
Old 04-10-2021, 01:55 PM

Rest in Peace.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:58 PM
Courtier

Victoria was a relatively young woman when Albert died. She did lean on as I recall one of her daughters Helene (Lenchen) after Albert died. I don't think the QUeen will disappear into long period of mourning.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

The Prince of Wales has paid tribute to his "dear papa", the Duke of Edinburgh, saying that he and the Royal Family miss him "enormously".

He said the duke, who died at Windsor Castle on Friday, aged 99, had given the "most remarkable, devoted service" to the Queen, the Royal Family, the country, and the Commonwealth.

Such a moving, beautiful statement...”dear papa” got me, sigh. It must have been so hard for Charles to speak at this incredibly painful time.

💔💔💔💔💔😭😭😭

Quote:
Sky News has reported Anne has left Windsor castle after visiting her mother, she was with Sir Tim and Peter Phillips.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsIsabel/st...39093522186242
Do we know if Charles was there today?
Old 04-10-2021, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
I would imagine that the oldest great grandchildren will attend and possibly should attend. People saying they are too young forget that Eugenie was George's age (a bit younger) when she was at Diana's. Which was a hugh event. This one as far as the children may be concerned will be entirely a family matter. Given no media and crowds and they were all a lot younger than.

We will see who will be there.

I can't see any of the German family. I could possibly see Sarah and David in fact. I would est the 30 may be the five oldest great grandchildren and Sarah, her husband and David. They were the family they spent Christmases with after all. Amd still do.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness

I doubt we'll see the great-grandchildren there. They're very young. But, if Lady Pamela's able to attend, I hope she's there: it'd be nice to have someone from the Mountbatten side, and I think Philip was a lot closer to her than to his sisters' children.

According to Sky News, the pre-Covid funeral plans included around 800 people - presumably friends, more distant relatives, Commonwealth representatives, foreign heads of state, representatives of charities and the Armed Forces, politicians etc etc.

Strange times.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:01 PM
Nobility

Very sad but not entirely unexpected news especially after his long hospitalization. I'm glad he was able to pass what turned out to be his final days at home with the Queen.

Despite being born a Prince, his was not the easiest life. May he rest in peace now and forever.

I feel so badly for the Queen. She has lost her husband of 73+ years and the main support of her long reign as Queen. Once the funeral is done and family & friends return to their lives she will still have to face the hardest parts- the "first" times without him- her birthday, his birthday, their wedding anniversary, Christmas etc. and also continue her work as monarch. May God bless and keep her in His care.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I doubt we'll see the great-grandchildren there. They're very young. But, if Lady Pamela's able to attend, I hope she's there: it'd be nice to have someone from the Mountbatten side, and I think Philip was a lot closer to her than to his sisters' children.

According to Sky News, the pre-Covid funeral plans included around 800 people - presumably friends, more distant relatives, Commonwealth representatives, foreign heads of state, representatives of charities and the Armed Forces, politicians etc etc.

Strange times.
The youngest grandchildren are teens now and will attend. The eldest great grandchildren are still quite young and I would be surprised if any attended.

DId Philip's sisters have surviving children who might attend the funeral?
Old 04-10-2021, 02:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I doubt we'll see the great-grandchildren there.
Strange times.
Some of them really aren't. Savannah, Isla and Geroge are plenty old enough to be there. And even Mia and Charlotte.

Certainly the oldest three are really not any younger than any other member of the family when they were at these things growing up.

And I teach kids Savannah's age and they are more emotionally literate than me.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Very touching from Charles. I particularly liked him saying Philip was, not only much loved, but much appreciated.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
The youngest grandchildren are teens now and will attend. The eldest great grandchildren are still quite young and I would be surprised if any attended.

DId Philip's sisters have surviving children who might attend the funeral?
James is older than Harry when we expected him to be presented as a monkey to us so we could see him grieve his mother. And somehow then we didn't have a problem with it.

He is around the age both
Beatrice and Eugenie were at the Queen Mother's Funeral and no one ever questioned that they should be there.

Harry was around Louise's age when he walked behind the Queen mothers coffin.

I think we have a very compassionate and empathic view for the younger members of the family when only a few years ago we just expected them to be in public from a young age and behave. How times change.

Now we are they are far too young. Well they aren't Savannah is the same age as her great grandmother when she watched her father be crowned. I think maybe we shouldnt underestimate them although thankfully they have much more sheltered lives.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes that's an apt description Alison H. Like a tribal elder.

From today's Express. I've heard this story about JFK Jr before but's it's very touching.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...orld-war-2-spt
I knew that Prince Philip was one of only 4 dignitaries permitted entrance to the private family quarters of the White House on the weekend of JFK's assassination (Eamon de Valera of Ireland, Charles de Gaulle, and Emperor Selassie of Ethiopia were the others) but this is the first time I have read that he spent time in the nursery entertaining John Jr.

What a poignant, revealing story.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-10-2021, 02:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:

I agree. There is no point in having the younger children there. It makes more sense to leave their spot for Philip's Mountbatten relatives and for Princess Margaret's family.

It looks like the funeral will be televised after all. I was afraid it would not be.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I knew that Prince Philip was one of only 4 dignitaries permitted entrance to the private family quarters of the White House on the weekend of JFK's assassination (Eamon de Valera of Ireland, Charles de Gaulle, and Emperor Selassie of Ethiopia were the others) but this is the first time I have read that he spent time in the nursery entertaining John Jr.

What a poignant, revealing story.
There is a very poignant picture of him holding John Jnr hand I think at a memorial. I don't think it is the funeral.

Here is it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82a329806878f256c99bff8e3496659c.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	302523  
Old 04-10-2021, 02:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
There is a very poignant picture of him holding John Jnr hand I think at a memorial. I don't think it is the funeral.

Here is it
I believe that was taken at the JFK memorial site that was gifted to the US by the Queen and the UK the year after the assassination.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/h...h-jfk-memorial