The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 10:49 AM
Royal Highness

Mods please move if there's somewhere more appropriate.

This is Shackleton's Cross by Edward Seago.

https://en.artsdot.com/@@/A268UY-Edw...georgia,-(1957)

Seago was with Prince Philip onboard Britannia in the South Atlantic in 1956/57. The painting was commissioned by the prince & forms part of his private collection.

The painting inspired this lovely haunting piece by the modern British composer Howard Goodall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
A 41 gun salute was fired in the front of Australia's Parliament House by Australian Federation Guard at Saturday 10th April 5pm in marking the passing of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. From the ABC article, The Australian Flags are flying at half-mast across the country, including the one at Parliament House, Canberra.

Thank you for posting this. There's a similar event planned in Wellington.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...lip-in-capital

I'm not sure about Canada although flags are to remain at half mast on government buildings in Ottawa until the funeral.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post

Is it strange that even though I've never met him it feels like somehow I've lost a grandparent? Does anyone else feel that way?
Yes - both my grandfathers died many years ago, but they were the same generation as Prince Philip, and over the last few years it's felt as if the Queen and Philip had become like everyone's grandparents. Someone on TV said yesterday that it feels as if the Queen and David Attenborough are the only grown-ups left now - it sounds like a silly thing to say, but I know what they meant! The Queen and Prince Philip were like the elders of the family: they were always there and always had been there.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:25 AM
Royal Highness

Yes that's an apt description Alison H. Like a tribal elder.

From today's Express. I've heard this story about JFK Jr before but's it's very touching.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...orld-war-2-spt
Old 04-10-2021, 11:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
That’s beautiful. I kinda think going home is like getting on a boat. I just think about reunion and peace.
I had the same reaction as when my grandfather died- similar- not as severe. That same stomach dropping and tears I never wanted to feel again. He’s always been there. I’ll adjust. He’s probably up there booming “ get it together.”
I think I can relate to similar feelings.

I've seen it said on this forum that "he came from a time when men were men, and men were gentlemen." Prince Philip was an energetic former military man who willingly accepted carrying out public duties that were, mostly, unsung and probably not very interesting, without ever seeking greater recognition. In a world where everyone wants their two minutes of fame, or wants a job that's immediately fulfilling, Prince Philip's attitude now seems so rare. It feels like with him, the uncomplaining and resilient character of his generation has passed away. There seems no one to quite replace him.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Does the rite of giving viaticum to the person in danger of death exist in the Church of England?
Old 04-10-2021, 11:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Yes - both my grandfathers died many years ago, but they were the same generation as Prince Philip, and over the last few years it's felt as if the Queen and Philip had become like everyone's grandparents. Someone on TV said yesterday that it feels as if the Queen and David Attenborough are the only grown-ups left now - it sounds like a silly thing to say, but I know what they meant! The Queen and Prince Philip were like the elders of the family: they were always there and always had been there.
It’s difficult to imagine the UK without Philip, and I think it will feel downright surreal when The Queen passes away. I’m around the same age as William and my grandparents were around The Queen’s age. For me, QEII and Prince Philip are almost like a link to my own grandparents, especially to one of my grandmothers, who was the reason I became interested in the BRF.

I’m sure Charles will be a good King, but Elizabeth and Philip were so young when she became Queen - they’re part of the fabric of the UK in a way that will be hard to replicate.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Funeral this Saturday 3pm at Windsor - children and grandchildren in attendance

The funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh will be held at Windsor next Saturday, Buckingham Palace says.

The event is to be a "ceremonial royal funeral" not a state funeral, which "very much reflects the duke's wishes", a palace spokesman says.

It will start at 15:00 BST and be televised throughout.

The palace says the funeral will "celebrate and reflect" a life of service and has been adapted to take account of Covid-19 regulations.

The Queen has approved the plans.

from BBC
Old 04-10-2021, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Cathedral Bells across the UK tolled 99 times yesterday to mark the death of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-56701723

Flags lowered and Church bells across the UK

Old 04-10-2021, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Sophie and Edward have just left Windsor Castle according to The Daily Telegraph's live blog

As she left Windsor Castle, the Countess of Wessex said "the Queen has been amazing".

Sophie spoke to reporters from a Land Rover driven by her husband, the Earl of Wessex.

The couple spent around an hour at the castle on Saturday morning
And that’s precisely how i imagine The Queen right now... Not screaming in pain like Queen Victoria was said to do the moment Prince Albert passed away - but dignified and composed like her grandmother Queen Mary was in 1952, and taking care of everyone else while processing her own grief.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke's Private Secretary will also be in attendance
Old 04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
And that’s precisely how i imagine The Queen right now... Not screaming in pain like Queen Victoria was said to do the moment Prince Albert passed away - but dignified and composed like her grandmother Queen Mary was in 1952, and taking care of everyone else while processing her own grief.
...the circumstances under which the two women lost their spouses were not exactly the same, but neither are/were the temperaments of Victoria and Elizabeth.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Members of the Royal Family, including the Prince of Wales, will walk behind the Duke of Edinburgh's coffin, with the Queen travelling separately to the chapel, the palace says.

The procession will take eight minutes, with eight pallbearers carrying the coffin up the west steps into the chapel.

It will be draped with the duke's standard, with a wreath and his naval cap and sword on top.

On arrival, it will be greeted by the Dean of Windsor and the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The Dean, the Archbishop and the eight pallbearers are not included in the 30 attendees allowed under coronavirus guidelines.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
...the circumstances under which the two women lost their spouses were not exactly the same, but neither are/were the temperaments of Victoria and Elizabeth.
I know... i just gave an example... Please don’t make a debate out of this !
Old 04-10-2021, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

A guest list for the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral will be released on Thursday.

We should assume that the guests will be children and grandchildren of the duke.

The Duke of Sussex will attend, the Duchess, on medical advice, will not.

There will be a national silence at 15:00 BST before the service begins.

More details about the service will be released on Thursday.

After the service the duke will be interred in the Royal vault.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:12 PM
Gentry

Funeral at 3pm on Saturday 17 April, with an eight minute procession. Televised. No public access.

A minute's silence at 3pm

Harry will be there but not Meghan (on doctors' advice)
Old 04-10-2021, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Philip’s coffin will be borne on a specially modified Land Rover, which was always his special request, as he played some part in the design of the vehicles many years ago.

It will be flanked by pall bearers drawn from the Royal Marines. The Prince of Wales and other members of the royal family will take part in the procession on foot, immediately behind his coffin. The Duke of Edinburgh’s insignia, the medals and decorations conferred on him by the UK and Commonwealth countries, together with his Field Marshal’s baton, and Royal Air Force wings, and his insignia from Denmark and Greece will be positioned on cushions on the altar.

Here is a timeline of the day:

14.40 Coffin at state entrance, Windsor Castle.

14.45 Processions steps off.

14.53 Land Rover reaches the west steps of St George’s Chapel.

15.00 National minute’s silence, the coffin enters the chapel.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes that's an apt description Alison H. Like a tribal elder.

From today's Express. I've heard this story about JFK Jr before but's it's very touching.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...orld-war-2-spt
That’s a beautiful story that says so much about Philip’s innate decency and compassion

Quote:
Funeral this Saturday 3pm at Windsor - children and grandchildren in attendance

The funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh will be held at Windsor next Saturday, Buckingham Palace says.

The event is to be a "ceremonial royal funeral" not a state funeral, which "very much reflects the duke's wishes", a palace spokesman says.

It will start at 15:00 BST and be televised throughout.

The palace says the funeral will "celebrate and reflect" a life of service and has been adapted to take account of Covid-19 regulations.

The Queen has approved the plans.

from BBC
That means I’ll be able to watch....good.

I’m so glad Harry will be there...
Old 04-10-2021, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Members of the Royal Family, including the Prince of Wales, will walk behind the Duke of Edinburgh's coffin, with the Queen travelling separately to the chapel, the palace says.

The procession will take eight minutes, with eight pallbearers carrying the coffin up the west steps into the chapel.

It will be draped with the duke's standard, with a wreath and his naval cap and sword on top.

On arrival, it will be greeted by the Dean of Windsor and the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The Dean, the Archbishop and the eight pallbearers are not included in the 30 attendees allowed under coronavirus guidelines.
I hope the Queen doesn't arrive at the chapel alone and have to wait for the others and the coffin.

I would I imagine that all of he children and grandchildren will walk behind the coffin but I imagine any partners and perhaps some of the children will arrive at the chapel ahead of the children.

I would ot be surprised to see Sophie actually being with the Queen.

The Queen, the Private Secretary, 7 children and partners. 8 grandchildren and probably 5 partners (I see Autumn being there) and a couple of great grand kids I dont see anyone else there
Old 04-10-2021, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I hope the Queen doesn't arrive at the chapel alone and have to wait for the others and the coffin.

I would I imagine that all of he children and grandchildren will walk behind the coffin but I imagine any partners and perhaps some of the children will arrive at the chapel ahead of the children.

I would ot be surprised to see Sophie actually being with the Queen.

The Queen, the Private Secretary, 7 children and partners. 8 grandchildren and probably 5 partners (I see Autumn being there) and a couple of great grand kids I dont see anyone else there

Apparently it willbe different then at the Queen Mother's funeral where only the men (+ Princess Anne) walked behind the coffin and the woman arrived by car. But yes it would not be nice if the Queen would need to drive alone.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Apparently it willbe different then at the Queen Mother's funeral where only the men (+ Princess Anne) walked behind the coffin and the woman arrived by car. But yes it would not be nice if the Queen would need to drive alone.
Well I can't imagine you would tell Zara and Beatrice and Eugenie not to. And I think those days of the women awaiting the coffin is gone. In normal families absolutely everyone follows the coffin.

But I also can't see the family leaving the Queen alone so some will be with her.

The Queen mother's funeral was a bells and whistles one and the only grand child or great grandchild old enough who didn't go after the coffin was Sarah and Zara.so yearatne traditional in that sense.

Closed Thread