Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure Prince Philip and the Queen will have discussed the attendance of their relatives, very young to very old, at their funerals long ago, along with all the other arrangements, and almost certainly adjusted things when Covid hit.

I’m sure Prince Philip and the Queen will have discussed the attendance of their relatives, very young to very old, at their funerals long ago, along with all the other arrangements, and almost certainly adjusted things when Covid hit.

Well...probably not to be honest. I mean we be talking over 800 guests at his and over 1000 at hers so they probably didn't worry about that.

Some people have been buried entirely alone during these times. Families have been prevented from even being in a room to mourn with their loved ones.

They are lucky on that front. I dont think anyone will be in th least put out to not be there. In fact, for many people they may be much happier that their elderly relatives in this time don't have to travel for a funeral.

HMS Bubble have been pretty much living with the Queen and Philip over the past year. They should walk behind the funeral.

I saw now that the press statement reads that not everyone taking part in the procession will enter St George’s Chapel, except The Royal Family and The Duke of Edinburgh’s Private Secretary.

Attachments

• D49C0465-B3BF-4174-8D5F-76BC12A8A1CA.jpg
    D49C0465-B3BF-4174-8D5F-76BC12A8A1CA.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 97
Maybe I am wrong but I think that the funerals ceremonies being very limited because of the covid would have pleased him. I think he didn't like the fuss.

I saw now that the press statement reads that not everyone taking part in the procession will enter St George’s Chapel, except The Royal Family and The Duke of Edinburgh’s Private Secretary.

Which is basically what is happening in normal peoples lives at the moment.

Sounds like a nice compromise.

When I was at Windsor today there were things about cranes and things. Wouldn't surprise me if they set up an area outside for some people, staff, maybe one or two invites to watch.

Maybe I am wrong but I think that the funerals ceremonies being very limited because of the covid would have pleased him. I think he didn't like the fuss.

That’s precisely what i think ! The irony that Covid-19 itself makes sure that he gets the no fuss service he likely always wanted with only those close to him there instead of Kings, Queens, Presidents and Ambassadors from every corner around the world..

It is a sad irony that Covid is allowing Philip to have the funeral he probably would have always wanted - just close family and less fuss.

It is a sad irony that Covid is allowing Philip to have the funeral he probably would have always wanted - just close family and less fuss.

I think he always would have had the one he wanted. This is just smaller. I mean most of the 800 guests would have been charities and extended family. Family of his in laws. Friends of his children. Like most of us. He just will get the nearest and dearest and his beloved and dedicated staff. Sounds good.

I think he always would have had the one he wanted. This is just smaller. I mean most of the 800 guests would have been charities and extended family. Family of his in laws. Friends of his children. Like most of us. He just will get the nearest and dearest and his beloved and dedicated staff. Sounds good.

Knowing the late DoE, he'd probably think 30 people is still too many....

I think if George goes, Charlotte should go with him. Would reps from the Kent and Gloucester families be there? Princess Alexandra or Prince Michael or Duke of Kent. and perhaps the Gloucesters.

Well I'm sure someone addressed this upthread- but as to attendance how many children and grandchildren and great grandchildren are there?

Well I'm sure someone addressed this upthread- but as to attendance how many children and grandchildren and great grandchildren are there?

All in they number 31. Meghan won't be there. The babies wont be there. So drop back family members form that as you see fit and add others. Announcement said Private Secretary and royal family will.enter the church. So 29 total family members. Get your bingo cards going.

Well actually without Meghan and Archie they would be 29. Quids in.

Last edited:
This attendance list guessing is interesting....

We have to remember that Phillip was probably closer to some of his staff than his grandchildren and it would be unfair to not let them attend. I think we’ll see the 4 children and their spouses, and all of the grandchildren sans (expect future Queen Kate). That’s 17. Possibly Savannah representing all of the great-grandkids, or Savannah, Isla and George. That’d make 20. Penny Mountbatten and possibly 1 or 2 more from that side of the family. Princess Margaret’s children sans spouses. That’s 25. 5 for staff, patronages and charities.

This attendance list guessing is interesting....

We have to remember that Phillip was probably closer to some of his staff than his grandchildren and it would be unfair to not let them attend. I think we’ll see the 4 children and their spouses, and all of the grandchildren sans (expect future Queen Kate). That’s 17. Possibly Savannah representing all of the great-grandkids, or Savannah, Isla and George. That’d make 20. Penny Mountbatten and possibly 1 or 2 more from that side of the family. Princess Margaret’s children sans spouses. That’s 25. 5 for staff, patronages and charities.

They all bar 1, his private secretary, will be family.

The Household Cavalry pay military tributes for Prince Philip by giving a salute and taking part in 2 minute silence opposite Windsor Castle.

Oh my God, just imagine what the poor queen is going through working out who the 30 are , just look at us. Or maybe she knows what she wants and people will just have to accept it.

I believe it's the latter and likely that she and Phillip worked out the list of attendees in the past year or recent months once COVID restrictions began. After all these two are used to planning so many aspects of their lives, it wouldn't surprise me if they already worked it on for both of their funerals should they occur during the pandemic.

I would expect at least one Kent to be there for the simple reason that Princess Marina was Prince Philip's first cousin and he would often stay at Coppins when on leave from the Navy during the war. It was at Marina and George's wedding when he first came into contact with Elizabeth definitely. They may or may not have spoken at that wedding but they were both there. Maybe all three Kent's will attend.

I am not sure that the Duke of Gloucester would be included. He is the Queen's first cousin and thus a first cousin by marriage of Philip's but not as closely related to Philip in person as the Kent's are.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Philip wrote his own list of 30 as soon as he knew that the number was increasing from this coming Monday. He has planned all details of his funeral to the last detail it seems so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give Charles the list of 15 if his funeral had to take place while that limit was in place and then he personally increased it to 30. I can also see him doing that as it would be just one more way to serve his beloved Lilibet by not having her have to make those decisions while she was mourning him.

I would expect at least one Kent to be there for the simple reason that Princess Marina was Prince Philip's first cousin and he would often stay at Coppins when on leave from the Navy during the war. It was at Marina and George's wedding when he first came into contact with Elizabeth definitely. They may or may not have spoken at that wedding but they were both there. Maybe all three Kent's will attend.

I am not sure that the Duke of Gloucester would be included. He is the Queen's first cousin and thus a first cousin by marriage of Philip's but not as closely related to Philip in person as the Kent's are.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Philip wrote his own list of 30 as soon as he knew that the number was increasing from this coming Monday. He has planned all details of his funeral to the last detail it seems so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give Charles the list of 15 if his funeral had to take place while that limit was in place and then he personally increased it to 30. I can also see him doing that as it would be just one more way to serve his beloved Lilibet by not having her have to make those decisions while she was mourning him.

I definitely agree with the last paragraph that Phillip had a core list of 15 and then an additional one if the number could be increased. Also I agree with your last sentence that it was a loving act of service to have the list created ahead of time.

I definitely agree with the last paragraph that Phillip had a core list of 15 and then an additional one if the number could be increased. Also I agree with your last sentence that it was a loving act of service to have the list created ahead of time.

I think at 15 we could safely assume. 1 wife. 4 children. Eight grandchildren. Not much to think about there.

Oh my God, just imagine what the poor queen is going through working out who the 30 are , just look at us. Or maybe she knows what she wants and people will just have to accept it.

I'd like to think she's got her children helping her.......This is brutal - necessary, but brutal. I don't think age has as much to do with it as closeness, to be honest; maybe some of the younger ones who didn't know Philip that well might sit this out. However it plays out, I'm sure everyone will have done their best. Maybe one day a much bigger group can get together and remember Philip.....in the not too distant future.

I wonder if the QUeen's niece and nephew, Sarah and David will attend.

I think at 15 we could safely assume. 1 wife. 4 children. Eight grandchildren. Not much to think about there.

Exactly then add three more for the "core" list. Once thirty was permitted, then go on to the secondary list. Which might include his son-in-law and daughters-in-law, spouses of adult grandchildren etc...or whomever Phillip wanted to be present.

I'm with poppy7, if possible, I hope the older great-grandchildren (Savannah, Isla, George, Mia, Charlotte) would be included. Or at the very least, they take them to see him one last time to say goodbye (there's a time between now and Saturday). For the kids' sake.

I lost my great-grandmother (my maternal grandfather's mother) when I was 6 and I was left at home during her funeral. The last time I saw her was 2 weeks before and she's well, telling me stories and giving me candies. My mother told me that she's no longer with us, that she'd joined my great-grandfather in heaven (he passed when I was 2), and she took me to her grave few weeks later when I asked her to "visit" her. While I did understand that my great-grandpa has gone and I won't ever meet him again, even after several visit to her grave, I somehow still thought I could visit her and she would tell me stories again for quite some time.

I lost my last great-grandmother (my maternal grandmother's mother) when I was 10, my youngest brother was 6 (he's very close with her). She died in her sleep a day after New Year so the whole family happened to be there the whole time (she lived with my grands and we gathered at their home for New Year). My brothers and I were able to say goodbye to her, my youngest brother even stayed in her bedroom until they took her out for funeral preparation. All of us were there thoughout the ceremony and even the burial that same afternoon. And honestly, my brother "coped" better than I did 4 years ago, we (he) knew that she'd never "wake up" and tell us stories again.

I lost my maternal grandmother when I was 20 while I was away for a month long uni project (We're very close, I can say by that point in time, I'd spent more time with her than with my mother). I visited her at the hospital before I left and I knew it's a goodbye, she died 2 days before the project completion and since it'd take at least 23 hours travel there's no way I could make it to her funeral, but I was okay, I could let go, saying goodbye on her grave was enough.

Age should not be a reason to exclude the kids, in fact I'll use it as reason the include them to teach them about life and death. I'll never forget my great-grandma's funeral, it's a life lesson for me which place the base to help me putting perspective about life and death growing up, including during my darkest time when I stopped myself from cutting my wrist at 12 and later, to let my grandma go at 20. So between the Duke of Kent and Savannah, if it's on me, I'll give the seat to Savannah, though better leave Louis, Lena, Lucas, and August at home with nannies.

Exactly then add three more for the "core" list. Once thirty was permitted, then go on to the secondary list. Which might include his son-in-law and daughters-in-law, spouses of adult grandchildren etc...or whomever Phillip wanted to be present.

2? And they probably wouldn't have as that would mean leaving out one child in law. Can't do that so best to leave out all. This gets easier when you its viewed in groups.

In my head you do. Wife. Kids. Grand kids. Great grandkids. In laws. Niece and Nephew.

Or you remove one whole.group and reace with another.

I'm putting this here for obvious reasons, but I suppose it may belong in the Relationships thread.

I've always been interested in Charles' relationship with his parents; this one has some insights into his with Philip.

They really did have quite a few things in common - it's just that Charles wasn't the alpha-male Philip was.

I didn't realize Camilla had helped bring them together; she's really remarkable. It actually reminds me of how Kate helped bring Charles and William closer.

I'm so glad that Charles and his father "reconciled" and grew closer over the years. There are few things in this world worse than living with regret....

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-10...-duke-of-edinburgh-and-his-son-prince-charles

I'm with poppy7, if possible, I hope the older great-grandchildren (Savannah, Isla, George, Mia, Charlotte) would be included. Or at the very least, they take them to see him one last time to say goodbye (there's a time between now and Saturday). For the kids' sake.

I lost my great-grandmother (my maternal grandfather's mother) when I was 6 and I was left at home during her funeral. The last time I saw her was 2 weeks before and she's well, telling me stories and giving me candies. My mother told me that she's no longer with us, that she'd joined my great-grandfather in heaven (he passed when I was 2), and she took me to her grave few weeks later when I asked her to "visit" her. While I did understand that my great-grandpa has gone and I won't ever meet him again, even after several visit to her grave, I somehow still thought I could visit her and she would tell me stories again for quite some time.

I lost my last great-grandmother (my maternal grandmother's mother) when I was 10, my youngest brother was 6 (he's very close with her). She died in her sleep a day after New Year so the whole family happened to be there the whole time (she lived with my grands and we gathered at their home for New Year). My brothers and I were able to say goodbye to her, my youngest brother even stayed in her bedroom until they took her out for funeral preparation. All of us were there thoughout the ceremony and even the burial that same afternoon. And honestly, my brother "coped" better than I did 4 years ago, we (he) knew that she'd never "wake up" and tell us stories again.

I lost my maternal grandmother when I was 20 while I was away for a month long uni project (We're very close, I can say by that point in time, I'd spent more time with her than with my mother). I visited her at the hospital before I left and I knew it's a goodbye, she died 2 days before the project completion and since it'd take at least 23 hours travel there's no way I could make it to her funeral, but I was okay, I could let go, saying goodbye on her grave was enough.

Age should not be a reason to exclude the kids, in fact I'll use it as reason the include them to teach them about life and death. I'll never forget my great-grandma's funeral, it's a life lesson for me which place the base to help me putting perspective about life and death growing up, including during my darkest time when I stopped myself from cutting my wrist at 12 and later, to let my grandma go at 20. So between the Duke of Kent and Savannah, if it's on me, I'll give the seat to Savannah, though better leave Louis, Lena, Lucas, and August at home with nannies.

I think it is incredibly important to learn the rituals of life and death within the safe place of an elderly relatives passing. I say safe as it is a normal life progression. To understand this but also to gain through social learning an appreciation that you to will cope with an emotional life upheaval because you are seeing others do it.

Basically kids need to see and experience things happen or they just don't get it.

2? And they probably wouldn't have as that would mean leaving out one child in law. Can't do that so best to leave out all. This gets easier when you its viewed in groups.

In my head you do. Wife. Kids. Grand kids. Great grandkids. In laws. Niece and Nephew.

Or you remove one whole.group and reace with another.

Oh good Lord my counting skills are not existent today.:lol: Thank you for catching that poppy7.

For me small children and some spouses will be absent to make rooms for, at least, The Duke of Goucester, the Kents brothers and Pcess Alexandra.
Absolutely! They are still listed on the website as part of the RF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom