The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 04:12 AM
Courtier

What will happen to all of Phillip's patronages now? I believe he held around 600. This is an astonishing number. It would be a huge task to reassign them to other members of the family.

Old 04-10-2021, 04:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Like Andrew's and Harry's and Meghan's nothing will happen to most of them. They will simply need to get a non-royal patron. There simply aren't enough royals now to take on all the patronages that have been freed up recently, and will be in the decade ahead. There will be no new working royals for the next two or three decades but a steady reduction over that time from the high of 15 they had a few years ago down to 11 now and dropping further within the next few years.

Old 04-10-2021, 05:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I don’t think retreating into an extended period of mourning is in keeping with The Queen’s worldview, (and I suspect The DoE himself would find the idea ridiculous). The Queen will no doubt mourn her husband deeply, but that doesn’t mean she’ll suddenly see her responsibilities as monarch as any less important.

I picture The Queen as the sort of person who finds comfort in her routine, and in her work - if anything I think it will be the forced inactivity caused by COVID restrictions that will make this time especially hard for her.
I agree with this....and like has been said, she knows she’ll be reunited with him one day.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The former Irish President ,Mary McAleese spoke about her fond memories of Prince Philip yesterday.

They first met in 1995, 2 years before she became President of Ireland .The former President said that the duke was 'very easy company' and someone who was 'very well-read on Irish history'.

"His humorous way and ease of conversation and natural everyday curiosity I think won people over during that visit. Who could forget seeing him in Croke Park with the hurl and sliotar in his hand... or down at the Guinness Storehouse?"
Old 04-10-2021, 05:45 AM
Heir Apparent

According to BBC News they saw the Earl of Wessex arriving at the Castle a little while ago, nice that HM is having visits from family and is not alone at this time.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
According to BBC News they saw the Earl of Wessex arriving at the Castle a little while ago, nice that HM is having visits from family and is not alone at this time.
British news said that around half ten yesterday morning that there was a fury of activity with Andrew arriving and then an hour later Edward and then Charles later in the day,. I would say he must have died around then. Apparently public figures were informed by text saying Forth Bridge is down. All family and close friends will have been informed before any announcement. So I imagine he may have died around 2 hours earlier than the announcement.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if in time HM will form a bubble with one of her children, maybe one of them will move in to Windsor to help HM over the next few weeks and months.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

The obvious one to move in would be Andrew as he has no duties to perform and is single so no spouse to also upset.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Hmm I thought Andrew too, he lives close by so could still see his daughters outside frequently and easily return home as needed. That said personally I'd want practical thinking Anne with me I think. Also she lives the furthest away (bar Charles who has Clarence House in London) so it would allow her to stay over.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:08 AM
Serene Highness

A 41 gun salute was fired in the front of Australia's Parliament House by Australian Federation Guard at Saturday 10th April 5pm in marking the passing of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. From the ABC article, The Australian Flags are flying at half-mast across the country, including the one at Parliament House, Canberra.

Australia's Parliament House marks Prince Philip's death with 41 gun salute
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...ilip/100061186

There was a large crowd gathering at Parliament House in Canberra for the 41-gun salute.
Ashlee Aldridge @Ashlee_Aldridge
A large crowd has gathered at Parliament House in #Canberra ahead of a 41 gun salute to mark the Duke of Edinburgh’s death @abcnews #PrincePhillip #dukeofedinburgh
4:48 PM · Apr 10, 2021 from Parliament House·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/Ashlee_Aldridge/...74561357029377
Ashlee Aldridge @Ashlee_Aldridge
The 41 gun salute has taken place at Parliament House to mark the death of the Duke of Edinburgh #PrincePhilip #Canberra @abcnews
5:32 PM · Apr 10, 2021 from Parliament House·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/Ashlee_Aldridge/...85775638278150
Old 04-10-2021, 06:09 AM
Serene Highness

Isn't he technically bubbled with Sarah.

No one needs to move in with her but she could bubble with one of the families. I would also note that Eugenie does not appear to have bubbled with her parents...which would be allowed given the age of the baby (ascertained by the fact a midwife took the first pictures). Given Eugenie was living with them in the first lockdown that is a change. They can all see each other outside now though.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Hmm I thought Andrew too, he lives close by so could still see his daughters outside frequently and easily return home as needed. That said personally I'd want practical thinking Anne with me I think. Also she lives the furthest away (bar Charles who has Clarence House in London) so it would allow her to stay over.
No over night stays allowed at the moment. And she is married and for all we know is already in a bubble with one of her own children. The bubbled involve a household able to bubble with another single household. Also a house with a baby for instance to bubble for support or form child care bubble arrangements.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I wonder if in time HM will form a bubble with one of her children, maybe one of them will move in to Windsor to help HM over the next few weeks and months.
It would be good if a family member could stay with her at Windsor and I hope someone does regardless of current restrictions.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It would be good if a family member could stay with her at Windsor and I hope someone does regardless of current restrictions.
I do not think that is at all what the family would want. To break the rules when so many others are doing their bit.

Not at all what they will do. But she isn't alone and many family members are nearby and weather is looking up.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I was under the impression a single adult household could form a bubble with another household, as indeed I have done. Sadly without the staff on hand (not sure how that affects things, HM is now sadly a single person household) So when I suggested it HM would not have been breaking the rules, I think they clearly don't want that to happen but may well do it if indeed it can be done in a way that is not breaking the rules. I agree it is clear HM is being supported by her children coming to visit her regularly but I think if I was part of the family I would want someone to be there with her in the evenings and other times as well.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

A statement of King Konstantinos

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNd4Bz6Hwrm/

From Savarshin Castle, The Custodian of The Romanian Crown sent a personal letter of condolence to Her Britannic Majesty.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1380901134118891522
Old 04-10-2021, 06:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
What will happen to all of Phillip's patronages now? I believe he held around 600. This is an astonishing number. It would be a huge task to reassign them to other members of the family.
It depends on how one reviews or values such charities and patronages "held" by a royal. It really depends on one's personal opinion. When the King of the Netherlands took over the throne, he ended all charities and patronages. Argument: "the new King wants to be a King for everyone".

Less than 10 patronages with a clear link to the King himself or the Crown were maintained. So: no to the Royal Zoologic Society Natura Artis Magistra (which exploits the Amsterdam Zoo) but yes to the Orange Fund (the King's wedding gift). So no to the Friesian and Guelders Stud Book but yes to the Netherlands' War Graves Foundation.

I think the accesion of King Charles or King William will be a watershed moment for how a modern monarchy is seen and if hundreds of patronages still have a meaningful place in a monarchy anno 2050 or so.

On the very short term I think the late Duke's patronages will not be succeeded.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I was under the impression a single adult household could form a bubble with another household, as indeed I have done. Sadly without the staff on hand (not sure how that affects things, HM is now sadly a single person household) So when I suggested it HM would not have been breaking the rules, I think they clearly don't want that to happen but may well do it if indeed it can be done in a way that is not breaking the rules. I agree it is clear HM is being supported by her children coming to visit her regularly but I think if I was part of the family I would want someone to be there with her in the evenings and other times as well.
That household would have to also not be bubbled with anyone. Typically it is widowed parents with a child and family. Partners who don't technically live together but there is also allowances for child care etc.

Point is all her children could have bubbled with their children. The most obvious child is Edward as his household comes as a unit.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:52 AM
Heir Apparent

You can change your bubble if "circumstances change" so they may go down that route. Anyway doesn't this just show yet again how HM always has to put her self last - I can safely say if this were my mother/grandmother one of us would be moving in with her no matter what the technicalities.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Don't know if this works overseas but here is a link to ITV live coverage of gun salutes for Philip

Closed Thread