The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Information about events on the 10th. Appropriately, salutes at sea as well as on land.

https://www.royal.uk/gun-salutes-0
I’m used to staying up at all hours, so maybe I’ll be up to see this...I’d like to

Old 04-09-2021, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I’m used to staying up at all hours, so maybe I’ll be up to see this...I’d like to
I mentioned this a page or two ago but it still is a bit of a tear jerker for me that they’re using the guns from the wedding and coronation. I don’t know why since it seems like exactly the kind of ceremonial and sentimental touch we should expect but still...definite tears.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I mentioned this a page or two ago but it still is a bit of a tear jerker for me that they’re using the guns from the wedding and coronation. I don’t know why since it seems like exactly the kind of ceremonial and sentimental touch we should expect but still...definite tears.
Oh, it’s absolutely poignant and moving....just hearing about it. Actually hearing the salute will be heartbreakingly final😭😭
Old 04-09-2021, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

A statement of Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNddCb_s_AK/
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:42 PM
Aristocracy

My biggest condolences to the Queen and the Royal Family. It is truly the ending of a great era. What an incredible 99 years!

Somehow I felt like the day would never come. The Queen and Prince Philip were two constant figures on the world stage for more than 7 decades and now that has ended.

Lovely words from President Obama. He touched an important point: Prince Philip met all the great leaders and figures of the second half of the 20th century. That is vanishing.

Hope the family finds closure.

Is it strange that even though I've never met him it feels like somehow I've lost a grandparent? Does anyone else feel that way?
Old 04-09-2021, 06:44 PM
Aristocracy

My deepest sympathies to Her Majesty The Queen on the loss of her beloved husband. Her grief must be profound right now but she has so many family members and friends that can lift her up and help her at this time. RIP Prince Phillip.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:49 PM
Royal Highness

Well it’s the end of a very sad day here in Britain. It seems appropriate to listen to Sunset by the band of Her Majesty’s Royal Marines in memory of an old sailor.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
A statement of Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNddCb_s_AK/
Beautiful. I didn't know that prince Philippos of Greece (and Denmark) was named after the other prince Philippos of Greece (and Denmark), the Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I'm not sure now exactly which reporter or historian I read it from this morning but I did read that because of the way the LP was written in 1947 for him to become DoE, the title passed to Charles immediately upon his death. However, once Charles becomes king the title will merge with the Crown and then be recreated for Edward in line with the wishes of HM and the late DoE.
I'm curious if HM and Charles could still pass the title to Prince Edward. There have been exceptions to some of the "rules" in the past.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

No they can't just pass the title on. There is a line of succession to the Edinburgh title in existence:

William
George
Louis
Harry
Archie
Andrew

all are ahead of Edward for Philip's titles.

The titles will obey the Letters Patent created by George VI for Philip's titles. That means they are now Charles' titles.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

This beautiful poem by Alfred Tennyson (1809-1892) suits the Duke of Edinburgh so much:

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

After long and fulfilled life, for a dutiful Prince, soldier, Naval Officer, loving husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather - a time to embark has come...
Old 04-09-2021, 08:41 PM
Majesty

This CNN video includes part of an interview with king Constantine of Greece (probably taped around the duke's retirement; or even earlier). And 'the bridesmaid' is Lady Pamela Hicks if I'm not mistaken. She talks about how it was love from an early age (13 for the queen), that he was handsome and that queen Elizabeth never had an eye for any other man.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No they can't just pass the title on. There is a line of succession to the Edinburgh title in existence:
I recall that on the Earl of Wessex's wedding day, it was widely reported that the Queen, Charles & Edward all agreed that Charles would bestow the dukedom of Edinburgh on Edward "in due course", meaning after the dukedom reverted to the crown once Charles became King.

Of course, the agreement is not legally binding, but I can't imagine Charles won't honor his mother's wishes.

So Edward can't get the title now. When he is granted the title by (King) Charles, Edward's son will be the future Duke of Edinburgh after Edward. So it could continue on for quite some time before possibly reverting to the crown again (if ever- I can't recall the oldest peerage at the moment).
Old 04-09-2021, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
This beautiful poem by Alfred Tennyson (1809-1892) suits Dthe Duke of Edinburgh so much:

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

After long and fulfilled life, for a dutiful Prince, soldier, Naval Officer, loving husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather - a time to embark has come...
That is gorgeous, and very fitting Prince Philip...
Old 04-09-2021, 08:59 PM
Majesty

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Oh, it’s absolutely poignant and moving....just hearing about it. Actually hearing the salute will be heartbreakingly final😭😭
That is what funerals and their accompanying rituals are for, to give a sense of finality. I wonder if I am merely one who remembers seeing the black and white film of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret standing at the train station wearing unrelieved black including black veils to shield them from the prying eyes of those looking to see any overt sign of grief. I alway felt deep pity for them when I saw it.

Here HM and the family are just another family grieving the loss of a family member in a time of many thousands of deaths and grief. The timing of the Duke's death may afford HM and the immediate family an unimagineable degree of privacy in their grief that would otherwise never have been possible. No high definition zoom lenses looking for a stray tear nor hungry media desperate for someone to break down completely. They wont be there! If they have to choose between camera operators and family I hope the family wins out.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I'm curious if HM and Charles could still pass the title to Prince Edward. There have been exceptions to some of the "rules" in the past.
They can’t. Charles is already the Duke of Edinburgh. It will have to be recreated for Edward, if* and when, it merges with the Crown.

If*: There is a vanishingly small possibility it won’t merge with the crown. If something happens to Charles, William and George before Charles is King, Louis will inherit the Dukedom of Edinburgh while Charlotte inherits the crown.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:18 PM
Commoner

I feel mostly sad for QEII , this reminds me of how Queen V deteriorated after the death of Albert and I am afraid of QEII maybe also being affected in some capacity that it physically effects her health.

I honestly did not expect this.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
https://pagesix.com/2021/04/09/willi...ium=SocialFlow

Middletons attending the funeral? They included in the final 30. Interesting if true.
I highly doubt this. The people attending the funeral will be those who are close to the Queen and those who were close to Philip. It is unfortunate that the number of people is so limited but it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Limiting the number present to family members closer to her will make it easier for her to mourn privately.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kervjacque View Post
I feel mostly sad for QEII , this reminds me of how Queen V deteriorated after the death of Albert and I am afraid of QEII maybe also being affected in some capacity that it physically effects her health.

I honestly did not expect this.
I honestly don't see the Queen going the route that Victoria did with extreme mourning. Reason being is that I believe the Queen is a realist and with her deep and abiding faith, probably thanks God for the extraordinary long time they did have together.

With the Queen's faith too, she knows its not a separation for long and its only "until we meet again". She'll mourn privately but still do what she does unwavering as Queen.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I honestly don't see the Queen going the route that Victoria did with extreme mourning. Reason being is that I believe the Queen is a realist and with her deep and abiding faith, probably thanks God for the extraordinary long time they did have together.

With the Queen's faith too, she knows its not a separation for long and its only "until we meet again". She'll mourn privately but still do what she does unwavering as Queen.
I agree that she won't go the route that Queen Victoria did, but Queen Elizabeth is only human and is much older than Victoria was when Prince Albert died.

The Queen's loss will have a profound effect on her. I hope she takes some time over the next few months. I tend to think that she will rededicate herself to her nation. But if she doesn't, that is okay too. She has given a lot over her life, more than most people will ever do, I think it is fine if she decides to slow down a bit - not retire- but focus more on herself and her family.

Closed Thread