Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 8 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She worked up to two days before her death. She fullfilled her dedication of service.

An era has ended.

96 is a very decent age and her health was fine most of her life and she had a full life, being an inspiration and rallying point for so many.
That's a pretty good life in any definition.

What a sad day. Hopefully she left instructions that her journals are to be published after her death. What a knowledge she had of how the world really worked over the last 80 years or so.

The Prime Minister referred to the new monarch as "King Charles III".

I can't quite take it in. I keep crying, and I'm doing a double take at the announcements relating to "the King and the Queen Consort". Liz Truss will be making a statement shortly - of all the times to have a brand new Prime Minister.

As the Queen said herself, the whole of her life was dedicated to duty. There will never again be anyone like her. It's hard to imagine the world without her in it.

Much love to everyone tonight. A lot of people all over the world will be feeling this loss.

Indeed, it is a big big loss to the people around the globe. The Queen’s reign has seen her travel more widely than any other monarch, meeting tens of thousands of people across the globe. Known for her sense of duty and devotion to a life of service, she has been an important figurehead for the UK and the Commonwealth during times of enormous change. All along, she has remained a symbol of reassurance, stability and continuity. Her death is a deep shock for everyone all over the world.

Last edited:
I assume if the PM has used it that is to be his regnal name.

Truss said the nation offers King Charles III our “loyalty and devotion”.

She ends her statement with the words: “God save the King.”

I’m truly devastated by the news. How terrible it is.
My prayers are for her soul now watching us all from up above.
You’ve been great, Your Majesty. More than you could imagine.

The Instagram page of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is now the page of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge.

View attachment 303062

Windsor Castle just now. I was taking the photo of the rainbow just as the flag was lowered, before the sad news was officially announced. So for a very few moments the people of Windsor knew before the rest of the nation, which somehow feels appropriate.

What a beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing, a little bit of sunshine on this dark day.

Huw Edwards tripping over the word "King". "Statement from the King, uh, Charles who just became King as soon as his mother died..."

That's how I'm feeling, it's totally surreal that on Monday it was HM The Queen and PM Boris Johnson and now Thursday it's HM The King and PM Liz Truss.

That really drives the reality of this home: King Charles.

Like everyone else

I knew it was coming, so I can't quite believe how shocked I am. May The Queen rest in peace. God Save the King!

French president Emmanuel Macron has said “Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II embodied the British nation’s continuity and unity for over 70 years.”

“I remember her as a friend of France, a kind-hearted queen who has left a lasting impression on her country and her century.

Source

Maybe the note handed to Liz Truss was already "London Bridge" and they were only holding on the announcement. Mrs Truss now officially becomes Queen Elizabeth II's last Prime Minister and the new King's first.

"London Bridge" was if the Queen died in England, but as she died in Scotland the code was "Operation Unicorn."

Sauli Niinistö, the President of Finland
"I am deeply saddened by the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. In her 70-year reign she witnessed and shaped history like few others. Her sense of duty and devotion to service are an example to us all. Deepest condolences to the Royal Family and the people of the UK."

Statement by His Majesty The King of Sweden following the death of Her Majesty The Queen of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland
On the occasion of the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, His Majesty The King of Sweden has issued the following statement
"My family and I are deeply saddened to learn of the death of my dear relative Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
The Queen served her countries and the Commonwealth with outstanding dedication and duty.
She has been a constant presence, not only in British society but also internationally.
She has always been dear to my family and a precious link in our shared family history.
We offer our heartfelt condolences to Her Majesty’s family and her peoples."
H.M. THE KING
Statement by His Majesty The King of Sweden following the death of Her Majesty The Queen of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland _ Kungahuset

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spanish Royal House has published the official telegram that King Felipe VI has sent to, now his British counterpart, Charles III.

"Your Majesty, dearest Charles, deeply saddened by the sad news of the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, your beloved Mother, I want to convey to Your Majesty and to the British people, on behalf of myself and the Spanish Government and people, our condolences".

"Without a doubt, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth has witnessed, written and shaped many of the most relevant chapters in our world's history over the last seven decades. Her sense of duty, her commitment and a lifetime of dedication serving the people of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland, they were an example to all of us and will remain a strong and valuable legacy for future generations. Queen Letizia and I send Your Majesty and the entire Family our love and prayers. All You are in our hearts and thoughts. We will miss her so much."

https://www.rtve.es/noticias/202209...ii-directo-ultima-hora-noticias/2401360.shtml

Message from King Felipe VI on the death of Queen Elizabeth II:

"Your Majesty, dear Charles. Deeply saddened by the sad news of the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, your dear Mother. I would like to transfer Her Majesty and the British people, on my behalf and on behalf of the Government and people of Spain, our deepest condolences Without a doubt, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth has witnessed, has written and has shaped many of the most important chapters in the history of our world during the last seven decades.

Her sense of duty, her commitment and a lifetime of service to the people of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland, was an example to all of us and will remain a strong and valuable legacy for future generations. Queen Letizia and I send her Majesty and the entire Family our love and prayers. You are all in our hearts and thoughts. We are going to miss her very much. With all my friendship and affection, Felipe."
https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...rey-felipe-pesame-fallecimiento-reina-isabel/

On the occasion of the death of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II, the royal standard will fly at half-mast in the royal palaces with the presence of H.M. King Felipe VI.

At the moment it is in the Real Alcázar de Seville, where King Felipe VI is currently in an institutional act.

Message from Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg after the death of Queen Elizabeth II

"The Grand Duke and Grand Duchess are deeply moved and saddened by the news of the death of Her Majesty Queen Elisabeth II, a monarch deeply attached to the friendship between our two countries and a faithful friend of the Grand Ducal family. H.R.H. the Grand Duke will send a message of condolences on behalf of the Grand Duchy and the people of Luxembourg to the British Royal Family."

https://monarchie.lu/fr/actualites/message-suite-au-deces-de-sm-la-reine-elizabeth-ii

Nicolae de Roumanie:
"Britain's longest-serving monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, has died.
Throughout the 72 years of her reign, she went through many political and social trials, but was always guided by faith and love for the country.
God rest her soul in peace!"
https://www.instagram.com/p/CiQZJ5kD8eY/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Press release of the Romanian Royal Household
"Her Majesty Margareta of Romania and HRH The Prince Consort learned with immense sorrow of the news of the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The British sovereign passed away this afternoon at Balmoral Castle.

Queen Elizabeth II and King Michael I, both descendants of Queen Victoria, were linked throughout their lives by affection, admiration and warm friendship.

Throughout her life, for Margareta Custodian of the Crown, Queen Elizabeth II was an unparalleled support, a model of royal leadership and courage, and a beacon.

Queen Elizabeth was always present in the life of the Romanian Royal Family and kept an uninterrupted family connection. After the passing of King Michael and the Duke of Edinburgh, Queen Elizabeth II remained the fundamental point of reference, a moral, intellectual, emotional and institutional support.

The Custodian of the Romanian Crown has written a letter to His Majesty King Charles III."
https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/press-release-of-the-romanian-royal-household/

Last edited by a moderator:
George W Bush, the former US president, has said himself and his wife Laura “were honoured to have known Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.”

He said in a statement: “She was a woman of great intellect, charm, and wit.

“Spending time at Buckingham Palace, and having tea with Her Majesty – and her Corgis – is among our fondest memories of the presidency.

“Queen Elizabeth ably led England through dark moments with her confidence in her people and her vision for a brighter tomorrow.

“Our world benefitted from her steady resolve, and we are grateful for her decades of service as sovereign. Americans in particular appreciate her strong and steadfast friendship.

“Laura and I join our fellow citizens in sending our heartfelt condolences to the Royal family and the British people.”

Source

The Spanish Royal House has published the official telegram that King Felipe VI has sent to, now his British counterpart, Charles III.

"Your Majesty, dearest Charles, deeply saddened by the sad news of the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, your beloved Mother, I want to convey to Your Majesty and to the British people, on behalf of myself and the Spanish Government and people, our condolences".

"Without a doubt, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth has witnessed, written and shaped many of the most relevant chapters in our world's history over the last seven decades. Her sense of duty, her commitment and a lifetime of dedication serving the people of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland, they were an example to all of us and will remain a strong and valuable legacy for future generations. Queen Letizia and I send Your Majesty and the entire Family our love and prayers. All You are in our hearts and thoughts. We will miss her so much."

https://www.rtve.es/noticias/202209...ii-directo-ultima-hora-noticias/2401360.shtml

King Felipe could not have worded it more beautifully. Very poignant. Long Live King Charles III!

"London Bridge" was if the Queen died in England, but as she died in Scotland the code was "Operation Unicorn."
First reigning monarch to die in Scotland since James V in 1542.

It is hard to process that HM is gone. I'm nearly 50 and have not seen another British monarch in my lifetime until now. HM was on the throne 20 years before I was even born.

I have no doubt that HM Charles III and Queen Camilla will serve the nation and the Commonwealth well, despite not enjoying the level of support and popularity of HM Elizabeth.

And now I have to get used to Charles III, Queen Camilla, Prince William, Duke of Cornwall, Catherine, Duchess of Cornwall (or will they still use Cambridge until/if HM makes him Prince of Wales, despite BEING Duke/Duchess of Cornwall?), and Prince Archie and Princess Lili of Sussex (their titles unless Harry and Megan agree with HM to not use them, a la the Wessex children).

Gorbachov and Queen Elizabeth passed away the same year withvthe distance of few days.
Well, that's the end of an history era.

I'm watching the BBC, which states in big letters "HM Queen Elizabeth has died", but I still can't believe it. These words don't seem to make sense at all.

I'm very shocked and saddened by the news of Queen Elizabeth's passing. She has served her country well and kept it stable amidst a lot of change throughout her long reign. At the same time, I'm reassured that she lived a long life well-lived. My thoughts and prayers go to her family and the British people in this time of grief. RIP.

Long live the King. May God bless TM King Charles and Queen Camilla as they serve their country.

Back
Top Bottom