Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 8 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonder how the will bring her from London to Windsor on the Funeral Day. In a Car like her mother or by train like it was the case for her father.

She isn’t going to Windsor until after the funeral service.

She is being brought to Westminster hall in London, then the abbey for the funeral then she is being driven to Windsor to be with Phillip.

The Spencer family’s Althorp House will fly the flag at half mast until after HM’s funeral.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiTWuUVsLIO/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

HMQ is one of Earl Spencer's godmothers. And he is a Peer which under normal circumstances means he would be at both the Royal funeral and the Coronation of the new king.

But given Charles complicated estranged relationship with the Windsors since the death of his sister I am not sure how that would work...

Are there covid restrictions in the UK? Like max number of attendants to a church assembly?

She isn’t going to Windsor until after the funeral service.

She is being brought to Westminster hall in London, then the abbey for the funeral then she is being driven to Windsor to be with Phillip.

That what i was talking about.

Her coffin will be placed in a hearse at the abbey and driven by road to Windsor. It’s the easier option.

The original plan was for her to come down from Scotland on the overnight train however it has been decided that she will be flown from Edinburgh to London.

A Belgian TV channel said on their news that the Queen had 3 dogs at the time of her death. They said that they could possibly go to Prince Andrew. I haven’t heard or read anything about it anywhere else.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the coffin will be taken to Hyde Park corner by gun carriage pulled by military personnel then transferred to hearse for the rest of the journey to Windsor (it was in the BBC, Guardian or Times)

The issue with the train from Edinburgh is you are looking at at least 5 hours (if not more) its very long to take place in the day and yet not long enough to take all night plus the need for appropriate security, ceremonial all the way etc. It would be lovely, very moving and rather historical but practicalities may well take precedence.

Wonder how the will bring her from London to Windsor on the Funeral Day. In a Car like her mother or by train like it was the case for her father.

I think it has to be by car. The station used in Windsor in 1952 is much smaller than it used to be, with only one short platform for the shuttle train that runs back and forth to Slough. (There's another station that's larger, but it's accessible via Waterloo Station, which is in the wrong direction from the procession.)

I believe the plan is for a transfer from a gun carriage to a hearse at Wellington Arch, which is northwest of Buckingham Palace.

HMQ is one of Earl Spencer's godmothers. And he is a Peer which under normal circumstances means he would be at both the Royal funeral and the Coronation of the new king.

But given Charles complicated estranged relationship with the Windsors since the death of his sister I am not sure how that would work...
He doesn’t have to go to the coronation if he doesn’t want to. He most likely will go to the funeral.

It's just been confirmed that the funeral will be a Bank Holiday so it could be the 16th or 19th, probably the 19th.

the government has released a "guide to national mourning" and it states - A memorial flower garden will be created in Green Park tomorrow and will be the main place for laying flowers near Buckingham Palace. This sounds a lovely idea and also stops there just becoming a huge crush of flowers at BP

I suspect the funeral will be the 19th, especially now we know it will be a bank holiday.

Funeral confirmed for Monday 19th September

Do we know when is the coffin be to be taken to Edinburgh from Balmoral?

Do we know when is the coffin be to be taken to Edinburgh from Balmoral?

I don't think there's been an official announcement, but a few different schedules suggest that it will be tomorrow, by road to the Palace of Holyroodhouse, with a procession to St. Giles' Cathedral on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Edinburgh tomorrow, initially to Holyrood House and then along the Royal Mile to St Giles' Cathedral, then by plane to London on Tuesday, and carried from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall.

I wonder if the Crown of Scotland will be placed on the coffin while it is there. That would be the closest it has come to being worn since 1651.

Now that is something I am curious about as well and hope to see.

I think it has to be by car. The station used in Windsor in 1952 is much smaller than it used to be, with only one short platform for the shuttle train that runs back and forth to Slough. (There's another station that's larger, but it's accessible via Waterloo Station, which is in the wrong direction from the procession.)

I believe the plan is for a transfer from a gun carriage to a hearse at Wellington Arch, which is northwest of Buckingham Palace.

Yes, that's what the Times is reporting. Following the funeral at Westminster Abbey, the coffin will be taken to Wellington Arch by state gun carriage, then a state hearse will take it from there to St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

It is a pity that the royal train may well not be used to bring the body of Her late Majesty to London.

The royal train would be more dignified than plane or car. And would give people along the route the opportunity to pay their respects.

A Belgian TV channel said on their news that the Queen had 3 dogs at the time of her death. They said that they could possibly go to Prince Andrew. I haven’t heard or read anything about it anywhere else.

I heard the same thing, that the dogs were from Prince Andrew to his mother and could go back to live with him.

The possibility was also raised of Angela Kelly looking after them since they are very familiar with HM's personal assistant.

Poor little things.:sad:

One question, the Great Lord Chamberlain still breaks his white staff of office over the Sovereign's coffin? So the Marquess of Cholmondeley will have to do it?
I know he won't be the GLC for King Charles, since the office rotates but I'm still curious about it.

Wikipedia has already updated the Lord Great Chamberlain's page to cite The Lord Carrington as now holder of the office.

The Queen's younger children are viewing flowers outside Balmoral after taking part in a church service

I imagine yes their spouses are at home taking care of the children, it also gives the core family a sense of intimacy. They all look sad but Zara looks very emotional

(09/09/2022) King Charles III and Queen Camilla meets crowds outside Buckingham Palace

Glad to see the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have joined the Prince and Princess of Wales to see the flowers at Windsor Castle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom