90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zara is next to Helen Taylor and behind the Taylor girls. She is mid wave so she blocks her face. I think Mike Tindal is couple of spots to the right sort of block by the woman in navy's hat.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Queen's 90th birthday is marked at Trooping the Colour parade - BBC News
The Queen's official 90th birthday has been marked at the Trooping the Colour parade in central London.

More than 1,600 soldiers and 300 horses took part in the event on Horse Guards Parade.

The Queen was joined other members of the Royal Family on the Buckingham Palace balcony for an RAF fly-past.

A flotilla of historic boats took part in a procession on the River Thames and royal gun salutes were fired in several cities across the UK.

Dressed in a bright lime green coat and matching hat with cerise-coloured flowers, the Queen waved to crowds as she left Buckingham Palace in a horse-drawn carriage, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh.

Her Majesty has attended the annual event - also known as the Queen's birthday parade - every year of her reign, except in 1955 when a national rail strike led to the event being cancelled.

Buckingham Palace said her "vibrant" green coat and dress was by designer Stewart Parvin, while her hat was designed by Rachel Trevor.

Read more of this very long and interesting article:
Queen Elizabeth II's birthday 2016: What can we learn about long life? - BBC News
The Queen is celebrating her 90th birthday this week yet there are few signs that she is slowing down. Last year alone she carried out 306 engagements in the UK and 35 abroad. What does the Queen's good health tell us about longevity?

"Caring for others, such as doing charity work, can make you feel valued and positive about yourself. It's also important to have a purpose in life. We work not just to earn money but to contribute to society," Harper says.

The Queen is patron of more than 600 charities and organisations, including Great Ormond Street Hospital, Cancer Research UK and the RSPCA. Research from the Charities Aid Foundation in 2012, found that she had helped them raise £1.4bn.

Happy Birthday Ma'am! Queen Joins The Party
The Queen and members of her family watch a flypast at Buckingham Palace after Trooping the Colour and a 41-gun salute.

Princess Charlotte has made her first appearance on the balcony at Buckingham Palace as the Queen continued her 90th birthday celebrations.

Charlotte, now 13 months old and wearing a pink dress, was carried onto the balcony by her mother, the Duchess of Cambridge.

They joined other members of the Royal Family to watch an RAF flypast after Trooping the Colour.

Last edited:
Who's the little boy in a sailor suite ? He gave Camilla some trouble ...

A funny little info from TV2 - The two colour-guards are identical twins.
There are of course many families for whom it's a tradition to serve, in this case, in the Coldstream Guards.

This parade has been honoring the British monarch since 1748, albeit with few breaks during WWI and WWII.

The rifles they use are Lee Enfield 85, 5.56, with the sights (that are more expensive than the rifles) covered up. The design with magazine behind the trigger, is called Bull-pup, and as such the rifle can be much shorter than those with the magazine in front of the trigger.
Even though that makes the triggering mechanism a little more complicated, the compact design makes the rifle very well suited for using inside an infantry fighting vehicle (IFV) and also very well suited for airborne troops.
As a little curiosum, during the First Golf War, the Americans leaned that the British army had shipped hundred of thousands of condoms. And try as they might, the Americans couldn't spot any women in the desert! In turned out the condoms were used to pull over the barrel, preventing sand from getting into the barrel.
Thank you Muhler for this wonderful tidbit! I love creative and innovative solutions to various puzzles; this one is particularly apt!:flowers:

Prince Charles needs to practice his neutral looks or smile more. He looks grumpy when the others don't.

I like how Camilla made sure Charles stood next to his family. You can see her directing him to his spot-
The Royalty Archives, katemiddletons: The Royal Family in the balcony...

Why do I feel the Duke of Wellington's window should be widened more so the royals can have a more full view during the trooping?
The Royalty Archives : Photo

I think during the Queen Mother and Queen Mary time, the window used to be fully open.
I noticed that Camilla made sure that Charles moved closer to the middle as well. Very sweet of her to make sure he makes it into the "Picture area" :) A nice little gesture that says alot.

Prince Charles needs to practice his neutral looks or smile more. He looks grumpy when the others don't.
Well, so does his mother :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Video:
Looks like The Queen told William to stand up during the flypast. Prince Philip Noticed the stool and The Queen let him know if was for George and Harry sneezed. Normal family for sure.
Home - ITNSource News

Charles looks grumpy sometimes, especially during the State Opening of Parliament. I guess he gets it from his parents. Queen Mum was a natural at smiling.

Last edited:
Video:
Looks like The Queen told William to stand up during the flypast. Prince Philip Noticed the stool and The Queen let him know if was for George and Harry sneezed. Normal family for sure.
Home - ITNSource News

Charles looks grumpy sometimes, especially during the State Opening of Parliament. I guess he gets it from his parents. Queen Mum was a natural at smiling.
I also noticed that the Queen didn't seem too happy about William bending to talk to George.. Which I think was rather odd (her not liking, not him bending!). Probably a generational thing, but I thought it was great that William had his focus on explaining it to George and making it a secure and non frightening experience.

I don't think it she minded him bending down...I just think she was letting him know hey..here they come, stand up and look.

LaRae

I also noticed that the Queen didn't seem too happy about William bending to talk to George.. Which I think was rather odd (her not liking, not him bending!). Probably a generational thing, but I thought it was great that William had his focus on explaining it to George and making it a secure and non frightening experience.

She didn't mind him talking to George, but she also wanted to talk to him about the flypast.

Uhm.. what else should she do at this occation? Cartwheels?
I agree hernameispekka. Kate's smiling and waving should be expected at this event. I've noticed other family members are doing the same.

What a lovely event! It looks great on photos. Pity the balcony isn't bigger, so we could see everyone clearly. ;)

Prince Charles didn't spend long today with the royal family.
I was in the mall and his and camilla's car drove past shortly before the parade began. A short time after the fly past they drove past again. Camilla waved from the car to the crowds but Charles didnt seem to.

Article from Robert Hardman:
The Queen's 90th birthday gives ROBERT HARDMAN time to reflect | Daily Mail Online
Some months ago, Canadian premier Justin Trudeau was gently chided by the Queen at a Commonwealth dinner after making a short speech paying tribute to her great age. ‘Thank you, Mr Prime Minister of Canada,’ she replied, ‘for making me feel so old!’

And having already celebrated her real birthday with some fanfare back in April, she could reasonably be forgiven for wanting no further reminders.

Yet there could be no avoiding the subject at yesterday’s magnificent event inside St Paul’s Cathedral.

There, the largest assembly of the extended Royal Family in years, along with the entire political establishment and stalwarts of local communities across the land, had gathered for an occasion entitled: ‘The National Service of Thanksgiving to Mark the 90th Birthday of Her Majesty The Queen’.

It was great to see many of HM's relatives joining her for the service, it was particularly nice to see appearances from the Earl of St. Andrews and his family as I haven't seen them for a while. I was surprised that Viscount Linley's children didn't attend, they are old enough, and sometimes attend whole family events (for example, they attended the Royal Windsor Horse Show for HM's birthday this year). Perhaps they wanted to go to school instead - Charles would be sitting his GCSEs this year if I've got his age correct.

I´m pretty sure to have seen Viscount Linley´s children?! Charles has been seen quite long sitting next to his mother and sister, while his mother talked to the Css of Wessex who sat right in front of them in the 1st row with James and Louise before HM and Pr Philip arrived.

We had a lovely morning in The Mall, the only thing that spoiled it was the police not opening the gates for us to get down to the balcony on time. It was disappointing not to see the balcony after the parade.

I wonder if Peter and Autumn, Zara and Mike were on the balcony why their children weren't?

I was surprised that Viscount Linley's children didn't attend, they are old enough, and sometimes attend whole family events (for example, they attended the Royal Windsor Horse Show for HM's birthday this year). Perhaps they wanted to go to school instead - Charles would be sitting his GCSEs this year if I've got his age correct.

Charles and Margarita are pictured here with their mother;
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkliT1dWkAAuUmI.jpg

Can't believe Margarita is 14!

Is this the first year that the Duke of Kent has opted to ride in a carriage to Horse Guards?

Pictures:
The Patrons Lunch set up has begun-
World of Windsor : And so the build begins @thepatronslunch...

A very happy family moment on the balcony-
Love all things Harry&The Cambridges
Yes I saw it on BBC NEWS Channel and Sky News who sent live from the palace until 18:00.

Petter did a interview with Sky News. He said that he hadn't seen so many people on The Mall since 2012 and said it was very moving when the crowds broke into spontaneous Happy Birthday. He also said it was very touching for HM and that it was nice for the family to see that she is so well loved.

We had a lovely morning in The Mall, the only thing that spoiled it was the police not opening the gates for us to get down to the balcony on time. It was disappointing not to see the balcony after the parade.

I wonder if Peter and Autumn, Zara and Mike were on the balcony why their children weren't?
Did you see the Queen?

Is this the first year that the Duke of Kent has opted to ride in a carriage to Horse Guards?

No, he started in 2013 because of a stroke.

Last edited:
Why does Harry ride in the carriage and not with the others like Will, Charles and Anne?? I know he is no longer active duty but either are the others. What is Edward wearing by the way? He is in a kilt from the bare legs. Only time I recall seeing them in kilts is when they are in Scotland.

Nice to see a lot of the kids up there. Do wish Savannah, Isla and Mia were there for the queen's big one. But glad their parents came.

Lady Gabrielle looks stunning but I notice she has a thing for wearing a hat that full that it blocks her face from view. Her red one was like it yesterday. But she looks stunning both days.

I know that Phillip, Charles, William, Anne and Edward Kent are the Royal Colonels of the regiments which participate in the Trooping of the Color and this may be the reason that Harry is in a carriage. Phillip and Edward no longer ride horseback due to age/health reasons but wear their regimental uniforms.

I predict that in the future we will likely see Harry joining his brother on horseback should he become a Colonel of the regiment when a vacancy occurs.

Thank you to those who shared the photos of Trooping the Colour today. :flowers:
It was wonderful to see so many of HM's family on the balcony, although I agree that it would have been nice to see Savannah and Isla as well as Mia, though at least their parents went. George and Charlotte were super cute, and they appear to be lively and curious little ones - Charlotte seemed to appreciate the event and didn't seem to be too bothered by all the noise. Nice to see Lord Nicholas's sons there too and Lady Helen Taylor's children.

I also caught up on the thanksgiving service this afternoon, and it was a nice watch. I liked the music a lot, I thought it was rather peaceful.

I´m pretty sure to have seen Viscount Linley´s children?! Charles has been seen quite long sitting next to his mother and sister, while his mother talked to the Css of Wessex who sat right in front of them in the 1st row with James and Louise before HM and Pr Philip arrived.

To be fair, I didn't get to watch the service and didn't see photos of their children yesterday, since as I said in the part of my post that wasn't quoted here, I was busy for most of the day. However, you're right, now after watching the coverage and seeing photos here, I have been corrected and they were indeed present.

Charles and Margarita are pictured here with their mother;
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkliT1dWkAAuUmI.jpg

Can't believe Margarita is 14!

Thanks, Lumutqueen. :flowers: I can't believe that Margarita is either, I still remember her as the excitable bridesmaid at William and Catherine's wedding. How time flies!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom