90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see the point with all those foreign guest, but I respect those who does.

The Queen never attends private events on the continent, and very rarely even sends someone to attend in her stead. Like the birthday of Margrethe or anniversary of Harald.Yes state occasions like weddings and such someone usually gets sent, but even smaller weddings often not. So not really surprised the European houses don't reciprocate.
If they had been invited, then I can guarantee that they had met up in droves.

Last edited:
I don't see the harm in inviting foreign royals. Or at least the heirs to the service. If they don't make it this time, perhaps they will for the 70th wedding anniversary, Gods will.

I like most of the Annie Leibovitz photos a lot, the one of HM and Prince Philip is rather sweet and also has a warm feel to it, the interior of the Oak Sitting Room looks very cosy and inviting. The only photograph that I'm not as enthusiastic about is the one of HM in the Buckingham Palace gardens taken in 2007 (5/8 in the article), it's a little too dark and gloomy in colour for my taste.

I don't see the harm in inviting foreign royals. Or at least the heirs to the service. If they don't make it this time, perhaps they will for the 70th wedding anniversary, Gods will.
As I wrote here in April, the Norwegian and very reliable royal expert Kjell Arne Totland said on Norwegian television to my big surprise that he had heard that there will be foreign royal guests present in June. But it seems that he was wrong, because I've not heard anything about it in the British media and King Harald have other engagements on June 10.

Last edited:
World's most expensive fish finger sandwich created for the Queen
ou probably don’t usually associate fish fingers with gourmet eating but this food creation might just change your opinion.

Birds Eye has created the world's most expensive fish finger sandwich to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday, costing a whopping £187 to make.

The frozen food brand’s pricey sandwich includes delicacies such as sweet caviar, creamy saffron mayonnaise and edible gold leaf-encrusted fish fingers.

Huge street party in Sidcup to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday (From This Is Local London)
Sidcup will host Bexley borough’s biggest street party to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday.

More than 12,000 residents have already registered to attend the Sidcup Town Team Consortium’s free event from noon to 5pm on Saturday, June 11.

Taking place in and around the High Street and Elm Parade, the entertainment includes magic, balloon models, children’s entertainers, a gospel choir, a sing along, steel band and local rock band Stone Blind.

For smaller children, there will be a fun fair, face painting, soft play and crafts.

Ninety balloons – one for every year of the Queen’s life – will be released by deputy Mayor councillor Val Clark.

Where can you enjoy picnics and street parties for the Queen's birthday across Lincolnshire | Lincolnshire Echo
A Queen's Birthday Picnic will be another chance to get into the party spirit at Belton House as it hosts the second of its events to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday on Sunday, June 12.

And, admission to the venue is free for the day.

Families are invited to enjoy some lunch on the oval lawn. There will also be live music throughout the day, with a combination of vintage jazz and period songs.

Traditional games including splat the rat and a coconut shy will be set up and ready for visitors to try out, as well as a special trail to take families off on an adventure.

Fish and chips, a hog roast, and a bar are some of the food and drink options that will be on offer. You can also take your own picnic.

Kingfisher Centre hosts food festival to honour the Queen (From Kidderminster Shuttle)
TO honour the Queen's 90th birthday, the Kingfisher Shopping Centre is hosting a food festival celebrating traditional British food.

The event, called The Taste of Kingfisher dubbed 'A Right Royal Feast' is taking place on Saturday, June 11 and Sunday, June 12 in Walford Walk.

Visitors can choose from a selection of food including fresh bread, fruit, pies, cakes and jams from locally sourced suppliers as well as samples from the centre’s own food retailers.

Kingfisher general manager Ken Williams said: "This is a hugely exciting time for us as we launch our first Taste of Kingfisher Food Festival. We have more than 20 food retailers here in centre and wanted to do something that would celebrate our diverse range of eateries.

"With the Queen’s birthday celebrations and the start of the Euros approaching, what better time is there to celebrate the best of British."

If there would have been foreign royals present, we would have known it by now. King Harald and Queen Margrethe have official engagements on 10:th June and Carl Gustaf and Silvia is in Bhutan on state visit,

It will be lovely to watch any way. I have always loved the te deum services from St Pauls Cathedral. And the trooping the colour is fantastic to watch.

Several disabled people will be among the special guests invited to attend Her Majesty the Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations on the Mall with the charity Leonard Cheshire Disability. Here are some of them:

https://www.leonardcheshire.org/wha...dent-wrexham-home-celebrate-patron’s-birthday

https://www.leonardcheshire.org/wha...will-take-friend-and-carer-celebrate-patron’s

https://www.leonardcheshire.org/wha...dent-hitchin-home-celebrate-patron’s-birthday

https://www.leonardcheshire.org/wha...fast-veteran-celebrate-patron’s-birthday-mall

https://www.leonardcheshire.org/wha...nt-and-carer-celebrate-patron’s-birthday-mall

https://www.leonardcheshire.org/wha...ng-newport-care-home-staff-celebrate-patron’s

Patron:
https://www.leonardcheshire.org/about-us/people/patron
Her Majesty the Queen has been patron of Leonard Cheshire Disability since 1980.

Since then, Her Majesty has played an influential role in the work that we do. In 1982, the Queen offered Park House on the Sandringham Estate to Leonard Cheshire Disability to be used by disabled people. It's now Park House Hotel, a hotel offering accessible breaks for disabled people and their carers and companions. In 2014, she and the Duke of Edinburgh hosted a reception at St James's Palace celebrating our work in the UK and around the world.

When our founder passed away in 1992, the Queen used her Christmas message to pay tribute to his work:

‘Perhaps this shining example of what a human being can achieve in a lifetime of dedication can inspire in the rest of us a belief in our own capacity to help others.’

We have a strong relationship with the Queen and she has officially opened a number of our services.

This interactive timeline highlights the key milestones in our relationship with our patron:
Our patron
March 1993
THE QUEEN DONATES TO THE CHARITY FROM DAMAGES RECEIVED FROM THE SUN NEWSPAPER
Her Majesty received £200k in an out of court settlement from The Sun for leaking the contents of her Christmas broadcast. She donated half the settlement to our charity.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
:previous: I just love reading stories like this one. It goes to amplify just how kind and generous HM really is towards her people. :flowers:

Queen to finally lay hands on elusive Derby trophy
t is arguably the most prestigious trophy in thoroughbred racing and one the Queen has coveted her entire adult life.

Today Her Majesty will finally lay her hands on the Derby trophy, but not as a winning owner.

Instead, Epsom Downs Racecourse, which stages the three-year-old colts’ classic this afternoon, has asked its most high-profile patron to present the famous prize as a 90th birthday present to thank her for her loyalty to the meeting.

HELLO! ‏@hellomag
Celebrate the Queen’s 90th with our Special Souvenir Edition, OUT NOW for just £5!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkDDVWOUkAEPy4g.jpg

What did she do with the other half? Keep it or donate it to a charity I wonder?
She donated the other half to another charity. I think it was to Save the Children UK, where Anne is president.

The same happened in 1998, when the Sun paid 100,000 to four charities chosen by The Queen after admitting in the High Court that it had breached copyright in publishing private photographs of Princess Beatrice.

Favorite grandson? How rude of them.

LaRae

Why? It is common knowledge that her favourite grandson is Peter. Not surprising really - the first grandchild, the child of her daughter etc. It doesn't mean she doesn't love her other grandsons/children but just that she is closest to the first born and the Jubilee grandson as well.

I post it here, and not in the fashion thread because this article was written as part of Her Majesty's 90th birthday. Watch the beautiful video: The Queen: 90 Years In 90 Seconds in this article:

Fashion World Celebrates Her Majesty's Style
By Rhiannon Mills, Royal Correspondent

The editor of British Vogue has told Sky News that the Queen, and what she wears, continues to fascinate the fashion world.

Ahead of the Queen's official 90th birthday celebrations next weekend, Alexandra Shulman praised Her Majesty's very British style, and said calling the monarch a fashion icon undervalues the impact she has on society.

"The Queen is iconic for very many things but not her clothes," she said.

"She represents a kind of stability, a kind of integrity and the monarchy, and those are what make her iconic.

"Her clothes are something completely different. We're all interested in what she wears - I feel her clothes are very much to do with costume, they're not a personal wardrobe."

Favorite grandson? How rude of them.

LaRae
Yes, it is both rude and ridiculous. Some also say that Andrew is her favorite child, which according to a former private secretary is completely wrong. This is an kind and warm persom who has a good relationship with all her children and grandchildren.

Last edited:
Why? It is common knowledge that her favourite grandson is Peter. Not surprising really - the first grandchild, the child of her daughter etc. It doesn't mean she doesn't love her other grandsons/children but just that she is closest to the first born and the Jubilee grandson as well.

Common knowledge? Has the Queen given an interview Im not aware of?

Special medal to mark the Queen's birthday has been minted as UK prepares to celebrate - Mirror Online
A medal marking the Queen’s 90th year has been minted as excitement surrounding the monarch’s birthday builds.

Proceeds from the bronze commemorative piece will go to 76 charities supported by Her Royal Highness, after it was released by The London Mint Office.

James Deeny, CEO at The London Mint Office, comments, “Commemorative medals have long played an important historical role in celebrating major royal landmarks.

"The Queen has been a tireless supporter of many charities throughout her life so it seems fitting that this commemorative medal will raise money for numerous great causes for which she is a patron, while also creating a beautiful collector’s piece to mark this great occasion.”
Alan Selby should have known that the Queen is Her Majesty and not Her Royal Highness.

Common knowledge? Has the Queen given an interview Im not aware of?
Haha, this is what I'm thinking as well. I wonder how "everyone knows" that Andrew is the favourite son, Peter the favourite grandson and Sophie the favourite inlaw! I mean, where does these things even come from!?

Haha, this is what I'm thinking as well. I wonder how "everyone knows" that Andrew is the favourite son, Peter the favourite grandson and Sophie the favourite inlaw! I mean, where does these things even come from!?

It comes from years of the media, Royal historians, and fans breaking down her personal relationships with her family.

The Queen obviously loves her family, but the 'favorite' list is pretty much speculation.

I think the idea of the Queen's favourites is quite funny, for starters the favourite grandchild seems to readily change depending on who the media are writing about at the time (its been Peter, its been Zara, its said William if of course close to her, its said Louise and James are closest as they visit her most weekends etc etc etc). For years Sophie was the only female in-law so that made calling her the favourite easy. Andrew was said to be favourite child, but the same excuse was given for Edward getting to use Bagshot and for being allowed to work. Now though thanks to the picture released for her 90th we hear that Anne has been closest to the Queen for years (going back as far as the war of the Wales').
Basically the favourite is who ever the media want it to be at the time.

Read more of this very long article:
Royal Yacht Britannia rules the waves once again for Queen's birthday parade
It was one of the very rare occasions when the Queen has wept openly in public.

Wiping a tear from her eye she bade farewell to her beloved Royal Yacht Britannia during a ceremony in Portsmouth to de-commission the boat, as part of cost cutting measures by Tony Blair’s Labour government.

Nearly 20 years on the Britannia will once again take centre stage – in a clear signal of how strongly she remains in the Queen’s affections.

A giant model of the yacht - which carried the Royal Family on 968 official voyages during her years of service - is to be the centrepiece of a carnival parade being staged in central London next Sunday to celebrate her role as patron of dozens of charities and organisations.

The celebrations will see The Queen lead a walkabout along the Mall with the Duke of Edinburgh, accompanied by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry, Prince Edward and Sophie, Countess of Wessex.

The build-up to the Patron’s Lunch has been marred by controversy over the cost of tickets.

It was revealed last month that an anonymous millionaire had bought £100,000-worth of tickets on behalf of the charities, amid claims the cost of tickets had put the event out of their reach.

But Mr Phillips mounted a robust defence of the pricing policy, pointing out that every ticket had been sold. Many of the charities have also taken advantage of being able to sell part of their allocation to raise funds.

“I’ve seen tickets being reoffered by these organisations to their benefactors and supporters at a higher price than their face value,” said Mr Phillips. “A lot of the bigger organisations have not sold on their tickets but have used them for staff and supporters and donors as a reward or as a way of saying thank you.”

And he rejected accusations of nepotism following the revelation that it is being organised for an undisclosed "set fee" by the events company, Sports and Entertainment Ltd (SEL), of which Mr Phillips is a director.

“It was my idea so why should I then go out to tender?” he said.

One thing is certain. As the Queen walks along the Mall there is likely to be more than one rendition of ‘Happy Birthday’.

“She’s heard ‘Happy Birthday’ a few times and will no doubt hear it a bit more this year,” said Mr Phillips. “It’s the way people want to show their affection to her and she is very appreciative. She’s obviously very touched.”

Make your own Queen cupcakes to celebrate Her Majesty's 90th birthday this summer - Mirror Online

Video:
Woman 90, skydives to honour Queen's 90th birthday - BBC News

Gymnast, 90, completes skydive in honour of the Queen
90-year-old German gymnast carried out a tandem parachute jump on Sunday in honour of the Queen, who also turned 90 this year.

Johanna Quaas, who jumped attached to an instructor, said she wanted to finish what the monarch had started during the London Olympic Games.

The Queen appeared with James Bond actor Daniel Craig in a film during the opening ceremony of the 2012 Games.

Northants shopping village's royal invitation to toast Queen's 90th birthday | Northampton Herald & Post
A Northamptonshire shopping village has announced plans for a free public celebration of Her Majesty the Queen's upcoming 90th birthday - including a free glass of bubbly.

The Heart of the Shires near Weedon, will be hosting a special royal picnic on Sunday 12th June from 1pm to 3pm, as part of the national celebrations for Britain's longest serving monarch. The event will be informal with all ages free to attend.

Visitors can bring their own picnics or purchase locally sourced food and drink from a number of eateries at the shopping village. A selection of summer treats will be available including Pimm's, sparkling wine and ice creams. A free glass of sparkling wine or Pimms will be offered to all adults attending. Ice Cream can be purchased from the Barn Deli and there will also be live jazz performed on the site's well known bandstand by the popular local band Syncopated Jazz.

Gail Cleland, site administrator at Heart of the Shires comments: "We wanted an event that would be fun for all ages and quintessentially British - and so a picnic seemed the ideal activity. We have a long tradition in this country of celebrating royal jubilees, weddings, coronations and birthdays. As this is such a significant milestone, we decided to celebrate in a way that I'm sure the Queen would approve of."

I think the idea of the Queen's favourites is quite funny, for starters the favourite grandchild seems to readily change depending on who the media are writing about at the time (its been Peter, its been Zara, its said William if of course close to her, its said Louise and James are closest as they visit her most weekends etc etc etc). For years Sophie was the only female in-law so that made calling her the favourite easy. Andrew was said to be favourite child, but the same excuse was given for Edward getting to use Bagshot and for being allowed to work. Now though thanks to the picture released for her 90th we hear that Anne has been closest to the Queen for years (going back as far as the war of the Wales').
Basically the favourite is who ever the media want it to be at the time.

Completely agree with you. Although I would now at Lady Sarah Chatto to the supposed "favourites" list.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom