90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More from Robert Hardman:
Prince Harry reveals huge admiration for The Queen in upcoming documentary | Daily Mail Online
As the Queen prepares to celebrate a very personal milestone, an historic television documentary is set to offer viewers a side of the sovereign never seen before.

And in Our Queen At Ninety, her grandson Prince Harry said he had been asking his grandmother for years ‘what her secret is, but she won’t tell me’.

In the fascinating documentary - which includes contributions from more members of the Royal Family than any royal documentary ever made - the Prince also tells of his admiration for his grandmother, adding: ‘I look at the Commonwealth and it’s a force for good across the whole world'.

Our Queen At Ninety, is an historic two-hour ITV documentary which will be broadcast for the first time on Easter Sunday.

There is glorious footage spanning Her Majesty's whole life, including some beautiful, never-seen-before home-movie clips of her days as a young Royal Navy wife in Malta.

The viewer will also hear how the Queen has gently guided and encouraged successive royal generations. The makers of the film, including the Mail’s Robert Hardman, between them interviewed 11 members of the Royal Family.
Hopefully not every thing in the documentary will be revealed before it aired and there is still more of Kate especially that we don't see until it airs. They hyped William's interview prior to the Our Queen documentary and almost all of it was out due the to articles prior to air.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Hopefully not, but considering what I've read in these articles, I think we have most of the William/Harry and maybe Kate interviews.

I am really looking forward to this documentary, but I must say that I prefer the BBC when it comes to royal documentaries. The Diamond Queen (2012) and The Queen at 80 (2006) was both very well directed/written. Elizabeth R: A Year in the Life of the Queen (1992) and Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work (2007) were also quite good. And therefore I look forward to what the BBC has described as a landmark BBC One documentary, but we have no information about it yet.

I'm looking forward to this documentary too, but I wish all the snippets of the younger royals weren't used to publicise it. This has been done before and spoils the whole thing in a way.

Yeah, don't spoil this doc for everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I am glad we got a glimpse of the diplomatic reception though. I just think if they can show the event in a documentary, they could also release some official pictures on the day of the event. I mean, who knew William wear his Garter on his left calf on this occasion?

Last edited:
It's a two-part documentary, total of four hours. Even British Monarchy is tweeting about it.

What we see now is just for promotion, there will be lots more to come on the 27th

Yeah, don't spoil this doc for everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I am glad we got a glimpse of the diplomatic reception though. I just think if they can show the event in a documentary, they could also release some official pictures on the day of the event. I mean, who knew William wear his Garter on his left calf on this occasion?

:previous: I noticed the same and couldn't figure out why both Charles and William appeared to have an odd bunch up around their trouser legs. Thank you for solving the mystery.

:previous: I noticed the same and couldn't figure out why both Charles and William appeared to have an odd bunch up around their trouser legs. Thank you for solving the mystery.

Yeah, the men wear their Garters on their left calf and the women wear theirs on the left upper arm.

Whenever George and Charlotte stay over with the Queen, she leaves a little gift in their rooms. HM seems like a very doting great grandmother.

Looking forward to the rest of documentary

Last edited:
The Queen on horseback: Mag marks an equestrian life - Horsetalk.co.nz

The Queen's Patron Lunch: inside the bespoke hamper each guest will receive

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...et-party-celebrate-Queen-s-90th-birthday.html

Queen's official 90th birthday tea towel goes on sale for £9.95 | Daily Mail Online

One's Life behind scenes!
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ones-life-behind-scenes-rare-7617238

Sophie Wessex explains the Queen's famous sense of style
http://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2016032430518/sophie-wessex-queen-style-fashion/

Prince Harry hails Queen remarkable admits struggles pressure walking footsteps
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...its-struggles-pressure-walking-footsteps.html

Duchess of Cornwall praises The Queen in upcoming ITV documentary 'The Queen at 90' | Daily Mail Online

Diana's private secretary:How the Queen hels a nation together
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...retary-on-how-she-held-a-nation-together.html

"I had benn warned about the Royal sense of humour but wasn't prepared for its dryness"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...umour-but-wasnt-prepared-for-its-dryness.html

The Queen's birthday: How the Royal Cavalry of the Sultanate of Oman are preparing for Her Majesty's 90th celebrations

Queen approves children’s book in celebration of her 90th birthday | Royal | News | Daily Express

The Queen's 90th birthday plans revealed

The Queen at 90: the secret of one’s success | UK news | The Guardian

Queen's £5 coin... that's worth £5,000: Royal Mint releases commemorative edition to mark Her Majesty's 90th birthday* | Daily Mail Online

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/03/queen-fashion-statements-public-women

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one month left till the big day, and I'm starting to wait for information from the palace about the Queen's actual birthday at Windsor. When she celebrated her 80th birthday in 2006 both the walkabout outside Windsor Castle on April 21 and the special Service of Thanksgiving at St George's Chapel on April 23 was broadcasted live on BBC One and I hope the same happens again.

Last edited:
More from the documentary Our Queen at Ninety:
What to buy the Queen for Christmas? Chutney, says Duchess - Telegraph
In her first ever solo television interview, the Duchess said: “She [the Queen] really cares.

“I can remember being at Sandringham, for the first time, at Christmas. And I was worried what to give the Queen as her Christmas present.

“I was thinking, ‘Gosh, what should I give her?’

“I thought back to what would I give my own grandparents. And I thought, ‘I’ll make her something.’ Which could have gone horribly wrong.

“But I decided to make my granny’s recipe of chutney.”

She added: “I was slightly worried about it, but I noticed the next day that it was on the table.

“I think such a simple gesture went such a long way for me and I’ve noticed since she’s done that on lots of occasions and I think it just shows her thoughtfulness, really, and her care in looking after everybody.”

The recipe is thought to have been a marrow chutney, which takes several hours to prepare.

These quotes of the family sharing their thoughts and musings are precious tidbits!

The television program 'Our Queen at 90' is to have 11 members of her family speaking.

Prince Charles
The Duchess of Cornwall
Duke of York
Princess Beatrice
Princess Eugenie
Earl of Wessex
The Countess of Wessex
Duke of Cambridge
Duchess of Cambridge
Prince Harry
Margaret Rhodes

I wonder why Princess Anne did not participate. I would have also loved to hear from Princess Alexandra, The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Zara Tindall and Peter Phillips.

From the snippets, it seems:
Prince Charles spoke about his mother as Queen and mother.

The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke of York, Princess Eugenie, Margaret Rhodes, and The Duchess of Cambridge spoke about the private Queen.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex, Princess Beatrice, The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry only spoke about her as Queen.

I hope there is more comments from her family than was published and the program includes her only daughter.

Last edited:
President Obama pays tribute to 'inspirational' Queen in 90th birthday message - Telegraph
President Barack Obama has described the Queen as “an inspiration” and a vital part of America’s “special relationship” with the UK in a 90th birthday message from the White House.

Mr Obama said he was “glad to be the very first President of the United States to wish [a British monarch] a happy 90th birthday”.

His birthday message for the Queen, who will be 90 on April 21, was recorded for the two-hour ITV documentary Our Queen at Ninety, which will be broadcast tonight.

Mr Obama said: “For nine decades Her Majesty has been a source of strength and inspiration, not only for the people of Britain, but for millions of people around the world.

“And when The Queen hosted Michelle and me at Buckingham Palace we saw the same grace and good humour, that generous human touch, that the people of the United Kingdom have loved for generations. My girls were especially excited to receive a guided tour of the Palace when they visited on Sasha’s own birthday.

“We often speak of the deep and enduring partnership between our two countries. It is indeed a special relationship. And Her Majesty has been a vital part of what keeps our relationship so special.

“The United States is extremely grateful for her steady and energetic leadership and we look forward to Her Majesty’s continued service in the years to come. Happy birthday, your Majesty.”

I wonder if the monarchy website will create a special web page dedicated to The Queen's birthday? They did for her 80th. Although, they don't much with that site anymore.

Queen's leggings?

Just watched "The Queen at Ninety" online....very well done!
I am curious: what sort of leggings or trousers is Her Majesty wearing when she rides astride?

Probably jodhpurs, horse riding leggings.

Katherine Jenkins on the special gift she's giving the Queen for her 90th birthday | Daily Mail Online
The multi-platinum-selling singer talks with infectious warmth about the Queen, excitedly relaying the revealing details she has observed in her many meetings with the monarch.

‘She’s a mother to the nation,’ the 35-year-old declares. ‘And she’s a mother, a grandmother, a great-grandmother. It makes me just love her when I think back to all the little jokes and quirky things we’ve shared.

‘I went for lunch at Buckingham Palace and after pudding they put a plate next to you with a piece of gauze, and there was a large finger bowl on the table.’

Post-prandial Palace protocol dictates that one washes the fruit in the receptacle provided, dries it with the gauze, then slices it on the plate.

Fortunately, the ‘working-class girl from Neath’ hoots, she didn’t grab the finger bowl and drink it.

‘Can you imagine if I’d picked that up?’ she chuckles. ‘I was sitting there thinking, “God, I don’t know what to do. Somebody else go first because I have no idea what’s meant to happen.” So I took a nectarine and I held it in my hand.

'Then the Queen caught my eye and showed me what to do, without a word, so I could just follow her lead. I was really grateful because by doing that she made me feel at ease. It was so kind and clever.’

Peter Phillips.

I'm sure Peter Philips is at the very start of documentary.

I'm trying to find the tweets I saw, but on Easter Monday Anne Leibovitz took pictures of The Queen and Charlotte and George. The tweets stated that The Duchess of Cambridge took some snaps as well.

Kate Middleton took personal photos of the Queen, George and Charlotte

https://twitter.com/byEmilyAndrews/status/714702177936220160
Emily Andrews ‏@byEmilyAndrews
Excl: George & Charlotte starred in a very special photoshoot with the Queen at Windsor yesterday...

Last edited:
I wonder if Savannah, Mia and Isla were also at Windsor too. Do individual family shots with the Queen and then one with all 5.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

In the video, when she is on horseback, the Queen is wearing some sort of leggings or trousers that are baggy and rolled up at the ankles, not fitted like jodphers. Her coat is knee-length so we can't see the shape. I just thought it looked odd.

I wonder if Savannah, Mia and Isla were also at Windsor too. Do individual family shots with the Queen and then one with all 5.

Savannah & Isla were probably there as their parents attended church on Easter and tomorrow is Isla's 4th birthday so they probably had a birthday party for Isla.

Maybe that is why Princess Anne rushed home after church.

this would be a fabulous photo. Queen Elizabeth with all 5 of her great-grandchildren :flowers:

this would be a fabulous photo. Queen Elizabeth with all 5 of her great-grandchildren :flowers:
I personally just wish for ANY kind of family photograph in the coming year. I mean, not to be macabre, but we don't know how many more chances there are for big family photos and the latest one I can remember was when Autumn was still a fiance. So much have changed and I would really love a picture of them all while both the Duke and Queen are still with us. If not for them as a family, for the history books.

When the Queen posed for official portraits with Prince George and Princess Charlotte, the Duchess of Cambridge couldn't let the opportunity slip by to take some personal photos of her own. The Duchess took her children to Windsor Castle on Easter Monday, where they posed with Her Majesty for the royal's upcoming 90th birthday.

The official photographer at the shoot was Annie Leibovitz, whose famous subjects include Kate Moss, Johnny Depp, Lady Gaga and the Kardashian-Wests.

"Wills and Kate were with the children but as adoring parents rather than wanting to be in the pics themselves," a royal source told The Sun.

"Annie was taking the official pictures but Kate took her own snaps for the family album. It was really cute.

"The Queen loves her great-grandchildren and is very proud of them. The pictures will be a lovely way to mark a remarkable 90th birthday."

I look forward to seeing these pictures, but I don't know if I trust The Sun's sources.

Back
Top Bottom