90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think we'll see foreign royals gathering again to celebrate QEII's life in the future, except at Her Majesty's funeral, which, hopefully, won't be any time soon !

I would find that sad and silly for the foreign royals to only come together for The Queen's funeral, but not for a celebration for her life while she's alive and well.

It would be very special if they came together next year and do what they did during her Golden Jubilee celebrations.

They did something similar with regards to the Horse Pageant for her Diamond Jubilee and members of the family attended every day with the Queen on the final day.

Either way I look forward to the celebrations. I would LOVE a family photo like they did for their Diamond wedding anniversary. I know the family is huge now but perhaps they could release a few photos. I would be happy with just one of the Queen with her grandchildren. In the earlier days the Queen used to release family photos frequently, now we only get them on significant birthdays. (My favourite will always be Edward's 50th birthday shot mainly because it was totally unexpected. I expected a single shot of himself in a suit, but the family photo was so cute.)

I think a large official family portrait would be great or at least with the immediate family.

Last edited:
I hope the Queen gets the 90th birthday celebrations that she wants. No more, no less. :flowers:

90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May 2016

With the diamond jubilee monarch's reception, it was relatively low key. It was a couple of weeks before the jubilee and the dress code was suits and regular dresses not black tie and tiaras that we see on the continent.

They already announced a big horse pageant as part of the Royal horse show along with the street party and church service paired with Trooping the Colour.

My picture wish is the Queen and Philip with the great grand babies.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

So, have the first details of the big celebrations been disclosed officially? I didn't expect them to be! I am looking forward to this event!

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Pressreleases/2015/EventstomarkTheQueens90thbirthday.aspx

Home The Queen's 90th Birthday Celebration

Detail of events to celebrate Her Majesty's actual birthday in April will be announced later this year - from Majesty Magazine.

This is what we already know.

13th – 16th May: Royal Windsor Horse Show, an event that takes place for the 73rd time this year, will host one of the main celebrations for Her Majesty The Queen’s 90th Birthday. Members of the royal family will attend the show each night and the Queen will go to the last performance on May 15, which will be broadcast live on ITV.

Friday 10th June: The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a National Service of Thanksgiving at St. Paul's Cathedral - Will also likely be broadcast on BBC.

Saturday 11th June: Her Majesty accompanied by Members of the Royal Family will attend at The Queen’s Birthday Parade on Horse Guards Parade - Will be broadcast on BBC one, as usual.

Sunday 12th June: The Queen will attend the Patron's Lunch, a celebration of Her Majesty's patronage of over 600 organisations in the UK and around the Commonwealth since 1952.

Last edited:
Thank you so much RoyalNorway! It is silly, but I am excited by the countdown showing already! :D

90 years of age. In 1926.. In America contact air service for the postal service began. The first trans-Atlantic telephone call from London to New York happened. ..so many things happened that year. We had plenty to read about concerning the 1920's on the Queen's birthday or any other day for that matter. I like horses and all that, but they are just big, unruly beasts of burden who at a moments notice could do something unexpected no matter how tame or unlikely. I don't care for dogs at all and while horses are fun to ride, make great friends they are just great for those who have the education to care for them. So, I didn't miss much not seeing a bunch of beasts. What about a speech? The Queen is 90. I expected a speech. I guess no speech was given. Really, why should she? Excuse my ignorance but everyone is entitled to a private birthday once in awhile. Birthdays are a personal thing parents really celebrate more than anyone. While we have had or all will have birthdays, counting the years of longevity, health, wellness, success or attempts at success celebrating the hopes or achievements no one celebrates your birthday more than your parents. So enjoying memories that are captured on film or in ink when their gone is really all anyone has on their birthday, really, or spending time with them if they are still around. The public did help raise her a bit, depending on how you look at it, so they were informed of festivities and were able to celebrate, right?

90 years of age. In 1926.. In America contact air service for the postal service began. The first trans-Atlantic telephone call from London to New York happened. ..so many things happened that year. We had plenty to read about concerning the 1920's on the Queen's birthday or any other day for that matter. I like horses and all that, but they are just big, unruly beasts of burden who at a moments notice could do something unexpected no matter how tame or unlikely. I don't care for dogs at all and while horses are fun to ride, make great friends they are just great for those who have the education to care for them. So, I didn't miss much not seeing a bunch of beasts. What about a speech? The Queen is 90. I expected a speech. I guess no speech was given. Really, why should she? Excuse my ignorance but everyone is entitled to a private birthday once in awhile. Birthdays are a personal thing parents really celebrate more than anyone. While we have had or all will have birthdays, counting the years of longevity, health, wellness, success or attempts at success celebrating the hopes or achievements no one celebrates your birthday more than your parents. So enjoying memories that are captured on film or in ink when their gone is really all anyone has on their birthday, really, or spending time with them if they are still around. The public did help raise her a bit, depending on how you look at it, so they were informed of festivities and were able to celebrate, right?

Um... what you're seeing and what this thread is about is for the Queen's birthday goings on that happen next year in 2016. Nothing will go on without the approval of HM herself and I think, for the most part, what they're doing is upscaling some things that usually happen that time of year such as Trooping the Color and the Windsor Horse Show. These things take time to plan and execute so its very much still in the planning stages.

Actually The Queen has two milestones approaching. Later this year (in September I believe) she will surpass Queen Victoria as the longest reigning British monarch and then in 2016, she turns 90. IIRC too, one of the celebrations will also fall on Prince Philip's 95th birthday. :D

Actually The Queen has two milestones approaching. Later this year (in September I believe) she will surpass Queen Victoria as the longest reigning British monarch and then in 2016, she turns 90. IIRC too, one of the celebrations will also fall on Prince Philip's 95th birthday. :D
The official Thanksgiving Service will take place on Philip's 95th birthday.

The official Thanksgiving Service will take place on Philip's 95th birthday.

Thanks Laura! I knew something was on his birthday but couldn't remember offhand just what it was. :flowers:

The celebrations for the Queen's 90th Birthday take place next year - but I am sure we will see plenty of horses and parades during the celebrations. I am not sure the Queen will make a speech / address the nation on TV, but I'd like it if she did.

Queen Elizabeth may have just passed her biggest milestone yet in her own understated way, but Prince William and Prince Harry and their cousin Peter Phillips are not going to let the next one go off without a bang.

William and Harry are throwing their weight behind a massive street party, which will stretch the length of the famed outdoor avenue in London known as the Mall, to mark the Queen's 90th birthday in the spring.
Read more: Prince William and Prince Harry Are Already Planning Queen Elizabeth's Next Milestone (Her 90th!) - The British Royals, The Royals, Prince Harry, Prince William, Queen Elizabeth II, Cover Galleries : People.com

I was only six days old when the Queen Mother turned 90, so obviously I don't remember it. But I'm really looking forward to this!

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

One thing that struck me as a wonderful coincidence is that the Service of Thanksgiving for HM's "official" birthday will be held on the same day as Philip's 95th birthday and that way, even if Philip doesn't want any muss or fuss about it, they're going to throw his milestone birthday in to the mix too somehow.

It would be quite the weekend to be in London for sure and I really love how HM's grandsons are conspiring together to put on this street party.

It is hardly a conspiracy as it was announced while I was there, with no mention then of them being involved and a conspiracy - by definition - is done in secret.

If they are on the organising committee that is fine but hardly a conspiracy.

It is hardly a conspiracy as it was announced while I was there, with no mention then of them being involved and a conspiracy - by definition - is done in secret.

If they are on the organising committee that is fine but hardly a conspiracy.

OK. I probably used the word wrong. I just meant the the three grandsons are putting their heads together on this.

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry are Joint-Presidents of The Patron’s Lunch

Click on the link to learn more about the largest ever street party to celebrate The Queen’s patronage of over 600 charities and organisations on the occasion of her 90th birthday.

The Patrons Lunch – About

Bun fun return planned for royal birthday (From Oxford Mail)
A BUN-THROWING celebration is being planned in Abingdon to mark the Queen’s official 90th birthday.

Ever since the 1761 coronation of King George III, civic leaders have marked major royal occasions by hurling buns off the roof of the County Hall building to crowds below.

The last bun-throwing from the museum roof took place in the rain on June 3, 2012, to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and 6,000 buns were chucked down to people in the Market Place.

World famous car show returns to Windsor (From Royal Borough Observer)
Car lovers are in for a treat as Windsor Castle prepares to host a Concours of Elegance in honour of the Queen's 90th birthday.

Queen to announce prestigious Regius Professorships - BBC News
Twelve prestigious professorships recognising high-quality research at UK universities are being announced to mark the Queen's 90th birthday.

The Regius Professorships, rare honours granted by the sovereign, celebrate the key role of research in driving growth and productivity.

Only two were granted in the 20th Century, but the Queen created 12 for her Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

Born into the age of the flapper, growing up with the frugality of wartime and witnessing the advent of the miniskirt, the Queen has lived through ten different decades of fashion.

For her own part, Elizabeth II is estimated to have worn well over 10,000 outfits to official engagements over her lifetime, created by a series of dedicated designers.

Now a trio of exhibitions by the Royal Collection Trust to mark the monarch’s 90th birthday will put more than 150 different outfits on display to the public.

The largest ever exhibition of the Queen’s wardrobe, Fashioning a Reign: 90 Years of Style from The Queen’s Wardrobe will bring together childhood fancy dress costumes, military regalia and glamorous ceremonial dresses.
Read more: Largest ever exhibition of the Queen's wardrobe planned for her 90th birthday - Telegraph

The Queen's 90th Birthday Coin Is Revealed | Post Office Shop Blog

http://blog.postofficeshop.co.uk/wp...11/2016-Queens-90th-birthday-coin-620x350.jpg

The Queen’s 90th Birthday 2016 UK £5 coin has been designed by acclaimed artist Christopher Hobbs. The inspiration behind the coin created is said to be the heraldic rose of England and The Queen’s own adoration of roses.

UK Celebrates Queen's 90th Birthday with Special Sovereign Series for 2016 | Coin Update

http://news.coinupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/UK-2016-sovereign-cSMALL.jpg

The Royal Mint has launched a new series of special sovereign coins that pay tribute to Britain’s longest-living and longest-serving monarch, Queen Elizabeth II. As Her Majesty celebrates her 90th birthday on April 21, 2016, the gold sovereign line of coins for next year will bear the special portrait that first appeared in celebration of the day she became the country’s longest reigning monarch.

Cotswold District Council wants people to get a head stat on Clean for the Queen campaign | Gloucestershire Echo
A national campaign has been launched to give the whole of Britain a tidy-up in time for the Queen's 90th birthday next April.

But Costwold District Council wants people in the area to start work before next year so the council can help them do a proper job of it.

Clean for The Queen is a campaign launched by Country Life magazine in partnership with Keep Britain Tidy to clear up Britain in time for The Queen's 90th birthday in 2016.

They are hoping an army of volunteers across the country will clean up their local areas particularly during a special clean-up weekend on March 4–6

The government's Environment Minister Rory Stewart said: "Her Majesty The Queen is an inspiration to all of us. Her 90th birthday is a unique opportunity for people to come together in celebration of Her Majesty's long service and dedication to this country.

"Everyone has a responsibility to keep their community tidy and this campaign provides us with a great chance to protect our wildlife and improve the quality of our streets and public spaces. I hope it will help lead to a lasting legacy of a cleaner, tidier Britain."

It's not going to happen for a multitude of reasons but if I could choose, I'd rather like to see a glittering banquet/ball of the sort the Scandinavians do for landmark birthdays, making it a celebration of the 90th birthday of the Queen and her successes during the longest reign in the era of constitutional monarchy. Needless to say, I'd like to see representatives from all Europe's main houses, reigning or not, there, from Monaco to Montenegro.

Over the years, the emphasis has rightly been on the Commonwealth and the nations and regions of the British Isles but it would be nice to see a big bash focussing on Europe.

Invitation for 25,000 to join Queen's 90th birthday party - Telegraph
The Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations at Windsor Castle will feature 900 horses and 1,500 performers, Buckingham Palace has announced, as 25,000 tickets go on sale today.

The theatrical spectacular, which will take place from May 12-15 next year, in Home Park, Windsor, will involve performances from musicians, dancers and choirs, as well as well-known actors and artists.

Members of the Royal family will attend each night of performances, and the Queen, who turns 90 on April 21, will go to the last show, which will be broadcast live on ITV.

Tickets will cost between £55 and £195 a seat, with the most expensive seats being near the Royal Enclosure and including entrance to a hospitality suite.

Any surplus money raised will go to charity

Tickets for the Queen's 90th birthday celebration next year have gone on sale.

Organisers are expecting the 25,000 places on offer for the extravaganza being staged from 12-15 May in Home Park, Windsor Castle, to quickly sell out.

The event will be a 90-minute spectacular celebrating the life of Her Majesty with members of the royal family in attendance on each day and the Queen herself going to the last performance on Sunday, 15 May.

The celebration on each evening will include 900 horses and more than 1,500 participants from the UK and elsewhere covering the major events of the Queen's 90 years.
Read more: Tickets On Sale For Queen's 90th Birthday Bash

http://www.hmq90.co.uk/

'900 horses' - HM will like that! This show will be up to her taste.

PA Royal Reporters ‏@PARoyal
Tickets for the @HMQ_90 Queen's 90th birthday celebration have already sold out.

I think I managed to get tickets!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom