90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harry didn't actually talk at the podium for the patrons lunch but it said he did in the CC. I wonder if they were behind on the time and he got cut out.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Yeah... but I'm not sure. I saw reporters say that both of them were gonna speak but then they changed it and said that just William would. If I remember correctly it was long before the royals even arrived.

The reason why people making a little noise about this because people dont often see The Queen giving her family any instructions in public. I first noticed this in the itn video.

Telling him to stand up (the flight was fixing to go overhead) wasn't a telling off as they are claiming.

I was sure I'd seen the Queen directing traffic in the past when going onto/off of the balcony?

LaRae

He's a 33-year-old married father-of-two with a responsible job as an air ambulance pilot, not to mention being the future King.

But you're never too old or important for a ticking off from your gran, as hilarious footage of the Queen scolding Prince William on the balcony of Buckingham Palace reveals.

The monarch was seen tapping the Duke of Cambridge on the arm and gesturing him to stand up as he crouched down to tend to a boisterous Prince George.

Close examination of the moment appears to show the monarch saying: 'Stand up William.'

In any case her meaning was perfectly clear from her hand gestures.

She tapped William on the shoulder and then made an upward motion with her right hand in case he hadn't got the message.

William rose to his feet, looking rather sheepish over the public telling off from his 90-year-old grandmother.

So William ia a 33-year-old married father-of-two with a responsible job as an air ambulance pilot, not to mention being the future King now.

If I remember correctly, it was the Fail who almost went to war against William and Kate because they were not full-time royals.

Read more: Queen caught on camera 'telling off' Prince William
uch of the country tuned in to watch Trooping the Colour last weekend, to celebrate Her Majesty's 90th birthday.

Dogs were dressed up and a rainy picnic was had in honour of Queen Elizabeth.

However, one detail during the celebrations was missed, and just recently emerged on the internet.

While they were on the balcony, the Queen was caught on camera apparently scolding her grandchild.

He was seated, and she had to ask him to stand up.

Seemingly abashed, the Duke of Cambridge stood up straight away.

The video has been shared by various accounts on social media, and has been retweeted thousands of times.

As a cherry on the cake, Prince George appeared to do a face-palm after the event.

If you watch closely, you can see the Queen speak. She appears to say: "Stand up, William".

In case he didn't hear her, she tapped him on the shoulder and did 'stand up' motion with her hand.

Thousands of people turned up to Buckingham Palace in order to celebrate with Her Majesty.

I've noticed this the same day it happened, and so did others here. And it was not a 'telling off', she was just telling him to get up.

Norway - they have to list positive traits about him in order to make his being "told off" by Granny more humiliating.

It's basically "here's several reasons he's an adult, and he's gonna be king, but by God he still gets in trouble when he misbehaves in public".

I thought the interaction was adorable, and not at all him being "told off", but perhaps him being reminded what he was there for. In many ways he's not there for the fly over himself, but to be seen by the crowds, and him crouching down to point things out to George (while adorable in itself, and a great moment to see), it means that the people down in the street can't see William - he's too low.

Thinking about it, it actually kind of makes me feel bad for William - this is a very literal depiction of his struggle between balancing being a good parent and being a good Royal.

Norway - they have to list positive traits about him in order to make his being "told off" by Granny more humiliating.

It's basically "here's several reasons he's an adult, and he's gonna be king, but by God he still gets in trouble when he misbehaves in public".

I thought the interaction was adorable, and not at all him being "told off", but perhaps him being reminded what he was there for. In many ways he's not there for the fly over himself, but to be seen by the crowds, and him crouching down to point things out to George (while adorable in itself, and a great moment to see), it means that the people down in the street can't see William - he's too low.

Thinking about it, it actually kind of makes me feel bad for William - this is a very literal depiction of his struggle between balancing being a good parent and being a good Royal.

1: Yes, I know.

2: I thought the interaction was adorable too, and you can see that HM was also talking to George.

3: Yes, but I thinks he is doing a good job (regardless what the press thinks) in balancing these two important roles in his life. And I agree with the other stuff you pointed out too.

Last edited:
I thought she told him to stand up because he was still in uniform.

He was interacting with his son and while I know the Queen was doing the "right" thing I didn't like it. JMO

or.... she could be wondering "what's wrong?" as all Gan-Gan's do.

Personally, I think they're making a mountain out of the starting construction of a molehill.

or.... she could be wondering "what's wrong?" as all Gan-Gan's do.

Personally, I think they're making a mountain out of the starting construction of a molehill.

It seemed to me she was more concerned with William standing up than if George was ok. Not the end of the world but very telling IMO

It seemed to me she was more concerned with William standing up than if George was ok. Not the end of the world but very telling IMO

As telling as a 4 second video clip where we can't hear what anyone is saying can possibly be about a person's life and priorities, that is.

Which is to say, not very.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I did see it as a bit of a dressing down.

William stooped down to talk to George.
He could have talked to George without stooping.

He may have acted appropriately as a father but not as a uniformed officer.

I saw it as the Queen reminding William he was still in uniform and should act appropriately as a uniformed military officer.

The Queen always puts duty first.

He was in uniform.
The Queen is his Commander-in-Chief.

Last edited:
OMG what's the problem? She was just telling William in that adorable moment (who most people think was hilarious) to stand up because the planes was flying towards the palace, and she could also be seen both talking to and looking at George in the BBC broadcast. To me and almost everyone else, this two things is very 'telling' to what a wonderful grandmother and great-grandmothers she is. And we know that she is a very good grandmother and that she is very interested in her great-grandchildren.

And if some of the very few members here (who are always after her) still wants to go with the bad mother and now possible bad grandmother/great-grandmother thing again, then you're of course free to do so.

But you couldn't be more wrong, and I don't understand how it's possible to do so after all we've heard from family members, heads of states, prime ministers and the heartwarming stories we hear from people who meets her and from current and former staffers. Almost everyone who meets this wonderful lady is talking about how kind and caring she is.

Last edited:
I bet if someone called Buckingham Palace and asked for confirmation of just what did happen at that precise time, it would take a bit of a while to get hung up on as they'd have to stop rolling on the floor laughing first.

Trivial. Purely trivial yet the media is blowing it up to be breaking news.

:beamup:

Oh for goodness sake I never said she was bad etc I think it was telling that she told Will to leave his son and stand up and he did. So the Queen is obeyed.

I bet if someone called Buckingham Palace and asked for confirmation of just what did happen at that precise time, it would take a bit of a while to get hung up on as they'd have to stop rolling on the floor laughing first.

Trivial. Purely trivial yet the media is blowing it up to be breaking news.

:beamup:

The interaction between HM and William was (as I said above) hilarious and adorable and of course he stood up, because 'You don't mess with your grandmother'. And I think the British press liked it too. What was annoying to me was the fact that the Daily Fail said that William was a 33-year-old married father-of-two with a responsible job as an air ambulance pilot, not to mention being the future King after they almost went to war against William and Kate because they were not full-time royals.

As we all know, the Daily Mail can be mercurial, perhaps when they seem to contradict themselves, Mercury is in retrograde or something and throwing them off? Dunno and really don't want to know.

At least its given us all some good conversation to express what we each see eh? :D

As we all know, the Daily Mail can be mercurial, perhaps when they seem to contradict themselves, Mercury is in retrograde or something and throwing them off? Dunno and really don't want to know.

At least its given us all some good conversation to express what we each see eh? :D
Agrees with you, as I almost always do.

It's a funny moment ... William's face in the aftermath and his interaction with the Queen more than anything!

I expect it was because they - The Royal Family - were on one of the rare displays of public duty for those few minutes - and we all know the Queen takes these few public minutes extremely seriously. Kate bending down to interact with her hilariously cross looking flower girl during the wedding balcony scene yes. William bending down during the fly-over in tribute to the Relm and the RF, not so much in HM's mind methinks!

Queen gives Prince William a telling off on the Buckingham Palace balcony | Daily Mail Online

Her Majesty definitely nudged him and it is quite clear on the video slow motion that she looks quite stern and says Stand Up. I think it's a good thing to remember that this is on the net everywhere and has been since shortly after the BRF left the balcony. So no, it is not the DM sniping at William, it is pointing out what everyone else who watched or has seen since saw, namely William being reminded that this was an "Occasion" in fact a very special occasion and surprise, surprise, it was not all about George!

The acid swipe at HM's so-called "telling" behaviour is in direct contradiction to her actions because HM deciding to allow Prince George and Princess Charlotte out on the balcony is an extraordinary concession on her part and a complete departure from standard practice. Pre-schoolers, apart from wedding parties, are rarely seen there except in special circumstances. I would advise you all to Google "Children on the balcony of Buckingham Palace" and take a good look at what you see.

I don't believe there was an "acid swipe" (new expression to me! :) ) directed at the Queen by any poster on the forum.

So what if William lost the run of himself on the balcony. Army trained ... but Daddy too!

It was a light moment, we all enjoyed it! :)

Her Majesty definitely nudged him and it is quite clear on the video slow motion that she looks quite stern and says Stand Up. I think it's a good thing to remember that this is on the net everywhere and has been since shortly after the BRF left the balcony. So no, it is not the DM sniping at William, it is pointing out what everyone else who watched or has seen since saw, namely William being reminded that this was an "Occasion" in fact a very special occasion and surprise, surprise, it was not all about George!

The acid swipe at HM's so-called "telling" behaviour is in direct contradiction to her actions because HM deciding to allow Prince George and Princess Charlotte out on the balcony is an extraordinary concession on her part and a complete departure from standard practice. Pre-schoolers, apart from wedding parties, are rarely seen there except in special circumstances. I would advise you all to Google "Children on the balcony of Buckingham Palace" and take a good look at what you see.

That's not true. The Queen's children and grandchildren have been regularly appearing on the balcony (for Trooping) since they were young. Anne was two or three when she made her first appearance on the balcony. Charles was about four, Prince Andrew was one and Edward was 3 months.

Then you have the Queen's grandchildren. Harry was one, William was two, Zara, Peter and Beatrice were three (or about to turn three) and Louise and James were about five.

So Charlotte and George being on the balcony wasn't a concession, or complete departure from the standard. It was just normal practice.

In addition to your post soapstar - the Windsor cousins were all seen on the balcony from young ages. Sarah, David, James and Marina Olgivy were all seen at 4/5 years old, as were Prince Richard's 3 children.

Basically - no exception was made for George and Charlotte. It's obviously up to the parents whether they want their children on the balcony. Louise and James had to wait until they were 5 before they made it to the balcony but that was their parents' choice. The Queen probably has some say so but at the end of the day it's the parents' choice.

On another note - I noticed that Eugenie was only on the balcony when she was 8...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom